• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

I feel like without the context of the adult section, the pact seemed kind of random? In the book, it feels like destiny, something powerful that transcends their bonds of friendship. King had vividly established its importance through the events of the adult story before the pact actually happens.

But in the movie, it comes across as this kind of random act that could have just been like a handshake or "put our hands together". The group hug at the end had more of the right emotional impact than the actual pact scene IMO

They were all major targets for Henry and his gang.

I think there's a big difference between Pennywise rushing at the camera here versus the typical jump scare in a lot of horror movies

For one, it was motivated by narrative rather than just being a scare tactic for the viewer. It was a predatory/hunting tactic rather than just jumping at the camera for no reason. You could say we're basically seeing Pennywise from the character's perspective in those moments, the lion's lunge after stalking its prey.

So often in (poor) horror movies, a jump scare is only for the audience's benefit. The camera will be off-set and then...boom, scare, even though the character should have been able to see what was offscreen. Or maybe characters aren't even aware that the scare happened; for example Sinister 1 and 2 had moments that the characters can't see or were not aware but just jump out to scare the viewers. But in IT, as well as many effective use of jump scares in film, we're in the character's shoes, just as tense and on edge as they are, and then danger and terror strikes.

That moment of fright is mutual between viewer and victim.

It might be used like the other person theorized, that by the end he tries to do the rush but it just fails when the Losers retaliate against it, and It loses its power. It's definitely a neat idea that makes the Jump Scares make sense, and yeah they are always used against a Loser that can see him and not just randomly.

Saw IT last night, I've seen the original mini-series and had a hand in giving my younger brother his phobia of clowns when he was maybe a little too young to watch the original TV movie, it was about the time when Pennywise pulled Georgie into the sewer, I was hiding beside the couch and pulled my brother to the floor. Tears followed for minutes after the prank and his phobia of clowns is still real to this day.

This movie really exceeded my expectations in everyway, just the jagged movements of Pennywise, that scene with Georgie in the basement was terrifying and what followed after. I also thought the woman from the painting was so disturbing, you just knew when you heard the flute playing what was going to happen but thats what I mean when I say it exceeded my expectations as it was worse than I imagined it in my head.

The casting was brilliant all around the kids and Pennywise, amazing although Tim Curry will always have a special place for me. Kudo's to Skarsgard though, nailed it!

I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet but when everyone is in Ben's room and Beth shuts his door and they show the New Kids on the Block poster with a brief second of music that was fucking hilarious, it had the whole theatre going. They really did nail the feeling of the 80's and the child actors sold it perfectly.

I want Chapter 2 now!! and please remake more Stephen King movies from the book, not The Shining tho, that stays as the masterpiece it is.

I wonder if they took one of the later script climaxes out (because the finale in the film wasnt' in any of the scripts I read for this) and are saving it for part two?

It did involve giant eyes and spiders.

It was pretty fuckin' gross.

What were the climaxes taken out? The movie did has a pretty small budget, I wonder if that could have been the cause as well.

hydruxo

I really liked the interactions between Ben and Bev, especially that first one when they're outside of the school and she signs his yearbook. Just really well done.

Also, the scene where Bev closes Ben's door and the NKOTB poster is on there lmao. That was gold.

Stiler

I really liked the interactions between Ben and Bev, especially that first one when they're outside of the school and she signs his yearbook. Just really well done.

Also, the scene where Bev closes Ben's door and the NKOTB poster is on there lmao. That was gold.

I just wish they didn't mess up with the poem and Bill/Ben.

In the book/mini series:
Bev thinks Bill wrote it to her and it's not until they are adults and come back that she reconnects with Ben and realizes it was him that wrote it, not Bill.

Having her realize it was Ben and then still going with Bill and kissing him kind of takes away from the Ben and Bev romance. Having her know about the poem and Ben's feelings and still choosing Bill makes her seem like she doesn't care for Ben and then he loses the weight and she's like "you're not fat anymore? Ok I'll go out with you now!"

weepy

I enjoyed this movie a lot. Very well done. However, I take issue with how my boy Mike was handled in this. He's the one person who didn't get enough screen time with the losers to establish their friendship. Not only that, he had the less speaking parts than any of them (Stan was did wrong in this respect too) and his job as the group's historian was given to Ben. If you've seen the TV movie or read the book you'd know why that doesn't make sense. He felt like the token of the group and I kinda resent that because he played a bigger role in the shitty television adaptation. I honestly think that a good 10-15 minutes could be added to Mike hanging out with the group and beefing up Stan's role (especially since adult Stan got the short end of the stick).
Also, Henry's final scenes were entirely pointless...sorry.

My mother absolutely refuses to ever watch The Exorcist again as well actually.

And you're spot on. IT basically did that to me as a kid, minus the part where I can't ever watch it again. The TV film looks hokey now, but everyone I know in my age range that saw it was utterly fucking terrified of it back then.

The fact it centered around a group of kids made it so much worse since my immediate group of friends all had King fever then and was reading it at the same time. It's like King looked in our collective heads and pulled out exactly what he knew we feared the most.

IT never scared me. I was 10 when the mini series aired and I had already become a horror junkie. Now the 78 Salem's Lot which I probably first saw around 83-84 scared the bejesus out of me. The window tapping scene and Mr Barlow gave me some nightmares.

Also, Henry's final scenes were entirely pointless...sorry.

Don't be sorry, you speak the truth, the whole Bowers gang was handled poorly, we should have seen Victor get his head ripped off and Belch die too.. them showing up to Adult Henry was very cool in the book, now I don't even know if adult Henry will be in it.

weepy

Don't be sorry, you speak the truth, the whole Bowers gang was handled poorly, we should have seen Victor get his head ripped off and Belch die too.. them showing up to Adult Henry was very cool in the book, now I don't even know if adult Henry will be in it.

I honestly don't know where they're going with chapter 2. Unless Henry miraculously survived the fall, he won't be in it unless as a zombie. Also, his confrontation with Mike as an adult will have to be changed too. Speaking of Mike, are they gonna have him stay in Derry or change his ark completely? I'm still kinda pissed about that.

I honestly don't know where they're going with chapter 2. Unless Henry miraculously survived the fall, he won't be in it unless as a zombie. Also, his confrontation with Mike as an adult will have to be changed too. Speaking of Mike, are they gonna have him stay in Derry or change his ark completely? I'm still kinda pissed about that.

Mike is probably gonna stay in Derry to maintain the sheep farm.

groansey

Yeah, the way the bullies were handled was a bit light, hopefully there's more in an extended cut. But as we didn't properly see Henry's demise, it's plausible he will play a role in Chapter Two, either because he survived somehow or because IT will use his form against Mike.

There wil be no sequel because the kids died of hepatitis by cutting their hands with a shard of glass. WTF.

That scene took me out of the film. Think of the potential infection risks!
Do you use the same bathroom as your mom?

edit: Kids did this back then. I used to always become "bloodbrothers" by touching bloody wounds together.

Not too hard to write Henry back in - he could be written to have survived the fall and found raving and insane in the sewers among the remains of the missing children, putting him in the right position for his role in the adult tale (also, having him revealed to have survived in Chapter II would be a neat kicker).

Mike is a bit trickier. Perhaps he could take his grandfather's speech to heart, deciding he wants to be on the outside of the sheep pen - but protecting the sheep instead of culling them. Not a huge leap to have adult Mike telling the Losers that he stayed and, inspired by his grandfather's speech and his tales of the poison in Derry, he's spent the intervening years researching the town, watching for It's return and taking the kind of role he had in the novel. Yes, Ben took a bit of that from Mike in the film, but it's not an enormous leap to say that Ben's experiences in this film made him want to leave Derry and abandon his research and have Mike step in.

Mike can definitely play the protector role in making sure bad things never happen again in Derry. Now that Henry is gone and the gang is more or less dismantled he can go into the town without being threatened.

Well, threatened by the bullies. Racism is a whole other issue he'll probably have to deal with if the movie decides to go there.

theJwac

It's long as fuck and makes no sense like 95% of the time
It is a long book but it makes sense. This 1 sentence review is wildly inaccurate and most people who've read the book and have a 4th grade level of reading comprehension will enjoy it.

The movie was good, but the encounters in the book were still better, in my opinion.

JB1981

Decided to rent the 1990 miniseries. Wow @
the Shelob Spider demon
at the end. Was that really in the book? That did not seem to fit with the rest of the story at all. What the hell was that?

Also was Henry Bowers always under Pennywise's influence?

the Shelob Spider demon
at the end. Was that really in the book? That did not seem to fit with the rest of the story at all. What the hell was that?

The
spider
is meant to be the closest humans can get to perceiving It's true form, IIRC.

The entire town of Derry is, but Bowers becomes more like It's Renfield than other residents who were more generally affected.

The Cowboy

Watching the miniseries again, I still love Curry's Pennywise - the kissing scene still gets me.

"
Kiss me Fatboy
" lol.

Wagram

the Shelob Spider demon

They'll float too.

Stiler

the Shelob Spider demon

Yes it's in the book.
The form is basically what it's true form is closest to on earth. It's "real" form the human mind can not perceive so the spider is basically what humans see "it" as. Kind of Lovecraftian in a way.

Pennywise doesn't always kill people, he can influence them to do what he wants, Henry isn't the first person he uses in this way.

I want Chapter 2 now!! and please remake more Stephen King movies from the book, not The Shining tho, that stays as the masterpiece it is.
I'm reading The Shining right now, and I wouldn't mind a modern version of the film. Kubrick went out of his way to make it so different from the book, I'd like to see something follow to book a bit more closely.
Kubrick' version of the novel will always remain separate and good in its own right. I doubt any modern make of The Shining will make the Kubrick version obsolete.
Stephen did make a TV mini series out of the Shining as well, but I hear it's literally page to film identical and extremely dull.

Caught this tonight and am really torn on it, I loved pretty much everything about it apart from Pennywise, I never clicked with the look of the character and just did not find it remotely creepy or menacing. The only scene I felt that really worked with Pennywise was the opening Georgie moment.

I don't think it helps that the trailers gave away a lot of the "scares"

Also for a film that clocked it at 2hrs 20 mins it felt like a lot had been trimmed to get that run time. I'm not familiar with the book, it's on my to read pile, but I needed a bit more character work in the early part of the movie to flesh out the kids.

I would still recommend this to people, just a shame that the actual horror elements left me feeling cold. I'll be back for part 2 in a few years time.

weepy

Mike is probably gonna stay in Derry to maintain the sheep farm.

Not too hard to write Henry back in - he could be written to have survived the fall and found raving and insane in the sewers among the remains of the missing children, putting him in the right position for his role in the adult tale (also, having him revealed to have survived in Chapter II would be a neat kicker).

Mike is a bit trickier. Perhaps he could take his grandfather's speech to heart, deciding he wants to be on the outside of the sheep pen - but protecting the sheep instead of culling them. Not a huge leap to have adult Mike telling the Losers that he stayed and, inspired by his grandfather's speech and his tales of the poison in Derry, he's spent the intervening years researching the town, watching for It's return and taking the kind of role he had in the novel. Yes, Ben took a bit of that from Mike in the film, but it's not an enormous leap to say that Ben's experiences in this film made him want to leave Derry and abandon his research and have Mike step in.

I honestly didn't think about the fact that he might inherit the sheep farm, I just hope that they do adult Mike justice because he's essentially the group's narrator and in the book practically ends with him. Maybe there's a chance that the movie does the adult Mike better seeing
as he spent the majority of the adventure hospitalized

Oh wow. So Mike Hanlon is more or less on a constant smoke-fueled vision quest?

Jesus.

Wow. Glad they plan to keep Mike's watchman role intact, and that the smokehouse will feature in a way, but that's quite the curveball...

EDIT:

...but take a running fuck at a brick wall with that Chris Pratt talk. Awful idea.

Oh wow. So Mike Hanlon is more or less on a constant smoke-fueled vision quest?

Jesus.

I wonder if that's where he learns about the Turtle and informs the Losers?
Maybe it's even something like...'I was in contact with a being who called themselves 'Turtle' but I've lost contact recently'.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/11/stephen-king-it-sequel-details/

Not sure if this was posted, but this EW article that came out today sheds some light on the direction they're going with Chapter 2. Extremely excited to hear them re-confirm that the kids will play a major role in flashbacks.

Spoiler warning, it does discuss some of the plot elements from the adult storyline.

Amy Adams is who I thought Bev looked like a younger version of the entire time so yes

I wonder if that's where he learns about the Turtle and informs the Losers?
Maybe it's even something like...'I was in contact with a being who called themselves 'Turtle' but I've lost contact recently'.

While I think a lot of things are still subject to change since the sequel hasn't even officially been greenlit yet, it's exciting to hear that
they want to tackle the Ritual of Chud in some form, at least. Chapter 2 gonna get weiiiird.

The drugs angle is an interesting way to bring the mind-bending weirdness of some of the plot down to a more grounded level. It's kind of a curveball, but I think it can work if it's executed well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
While I think a lot of things are still subject to change since the sequel hasn't even officially been greenlit yet, it's exciting to hear that
they want to tackle the Ritual of Chud in some form, at least. Chapter 2 gonna get weiiiird.

But how ever on earth will they manage to
depict biting each other's tongues
on screen!

GhaleonEB

Alrighty, that EW article got me excited - they're diving headfirst into the cosmic nature of It. Part 2 details:
Sounds like we're getting a drugged-out version of It's arrival on Earth, and the Ritual of Chud.
Those elements alone are going to take part 2 in a very different direction and help explain why they were omitted from the first part.

I wouldn't have thought to go that direction with Mike, but it makes sense.

Just got back from seeing IT (hehehe). Thought the movie was... alright. Had a few problems:

- I thought some of the scares lacked context, particularly Stan's and Mike's. Stan's scare is all of a sudden, we are to take it that he has a long fear of the picture with nothing more than a "quick, cover my eyes" as he walks past it". Something said through conversation prior, either to his friends or his dad, could've worked well in strengthening that fear. Mike, maybe it's because I read the book, but I thought he was seeing the burning people of the Black Spot. Though we don't know prior to that why that would be his fear, and only are made aware of that later in the movie. It IS better than basically "nothing" he encountered in the mini-series, but they DID establish the giant bird in the novel when he and his dad were watching Rodan together.

- The fight, time apart, then the girl gets kidnapped so "Let's put it aside and go rescue her!". Thought this felt cheap, especially Bev being used as the tool to initiate a reconciliation and be the driving force to "finally" kill It. Yeah, she had no fear towards It, which is why he couldn't kill her, but in the end it still felt like a whole "rescue the captured girl" cliche. At least the mini-series didn't do that, as "Lucky Number Seven" all went down to battle It together, Bev included, which is true to the novel.

- I might be on the minority regarding this, I didn't care for Pennywise. His look was cool, but that voice, fuckin' mushmouth! I couldn't understand half the things he was saying.

- Some of the scares were good, but most of the "run at the camera" things were stupid. My sister asked me if they had this in 3D, because some scenes look like they were made specifically for it. I didn't know why at the time, but seeing this, now I do. That and the horrible cgi in the rock fight, urgh.

- Including Patrick Hockstetter was a misstep. Considering the infamy regarding Patrick's character in the book, turning him into a character that is meant to be nothing more than an "early kill" was underwhelming. Should've picked another member of Bower's gang, like Moose or something.

Things I did like:
- The score was top notch.
- The cinematography was gorgeous.
- Damn, all those kids have chops. Bev, in particular, was awesome.
- Adding to that, their chemistry is superb.
- At least got the house at Neibolt Street right considering how Fukunaga's 1st draft got is SOOOOOO wrong.
- The setting was great, both the 80s feel and capturing what Derry was.

ciD_Vain

Just realized Javier Botet played the Leper! Makes sense since he also played Mama in Muschietti‘s other film, Mama.
tumblr_najqx82zDF1rgxqmro1_500.gif

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I haven't read the book in 20+ years since I was a kid and don't remember much. Movie was good, but have one part that didn't logically make sense for me. So its established that the creature uses the sewer system to get around and pull people into its hive. In the scene at the end where Beverly gets kidnapped...how did it get to her and get her to its hive from her house bathroom? Pretty sure she didn't fit down the toilet/shower drain. I was always under the impression that when IT appeared somewhere outside of a sewer connector that it was always just hallucinations and that the physical body of IT couldn't get beyond the sewers.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/11/stephen-king-it-sequel-details/

Not sure if this was posted, but this EW article that came out today sheds some light on the direction they're going with Chapter 2. Extremely excited to hear them re-confirm that the kids will play a major role in flashbacks.

Spoiler warning, it does discuss some of the plot elements from the adult storyline.
Fuck. Yes. My nipples are hard. I really hope they beef up Pennywise too. He was too weak in this one. I wanna see a pissed off Pennywise who isn't interested in scaring them. I wanna see a pissed off Pennywise ready for blood.

Agreed. I love RLM but this was one of the more obnoxious critiques I've seen from them. Especially the bit about everyone in the movie theater being fat, stupid, pizza-eating slobs.

I'm also surprised they didn't praise the garage scene. I thought it was easily one of the coolest horror film scenes in recent memory. I'm not the biggest fan of jump scares, but I thought this movie handled them well and even had some really effective imagery that gave me the creeps.

they did ruin that scene in the trailers for the most parts.

Painting Lady was obviously CG, but it still maintain that it's the most disturbing imagery in the entire movie.

It 100% made my skin crawl. Like hearing a ghost story that freaks you out so much that the hair on your neck stands up or something.

Not sure why CG is now a bad thing. Sure it can be overdone (just like any other film technique), but it can also be used to great affect.

Strange, but that's one the the things I noted when leaving the theater with my wife...how the restrained use of it with Pennywise enhanced the alien nature of his character, without being overdone and losing his sense of authenticity.

imo:
it really wasn't disturbing. it just looked hokey AF everytime it was on screen.
also
leper was hokey AF

Artanisix

i really wish they weren't so on-the-nose with derry's creepy past, they should have found a way to show it without explicitly spelling it out for us through the fat kid's exposition.

GhaleonEB

Ok, I haven't read the book in 20+ years since I was a kid and don't remember much. Movie was good, but have one part that didn't logically make sense for me. So its established that the creature uses the sewer system to get around and pull people into its hive. In the scene at the end where Barbara gets kidnapped...how did it get to her and get her to its hive from her house bathroom? Pretty sure she didn't fit down the toilet/shower drain. I was always under the impression that when IT appeared somewhere outside of a sewer connector that it was always just hallucinations and that the physical body of IT couldn't get beyond the sewers.

This is a very good question.

Top Bottom