• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice: Famitsu review details

Toki767

Watching the livestream and it looks amazing.

Sony should just give Inafune free reign to do whatever game he wants next as long as it's on the Vita.

Since the game seems to be primarily combat, how is it? Like if we set up some sort of arbitrary scale from button mashy to deep/fluid going something like:

Dynasty Warriors<Lollipop Chainsaw<God of War<Ninja Gaiden<Devil May Cry<Bayonetta

where would Soul Sacrifice stand? Or does it play completely differently from the above games? Is it more like the Souls games?

I wish there was a US demo...

I don't think SS can be compared to any of those, all of the game you mentioned are basically combo-centric action game, even for non button mashy games like bayonetta/ninja gaiden you got a lot of combos, different button combinations lead to different attack animations.

from what I see SS is more like MH, God Eater and perhaps Souls series, in that you don't have elaborate combos with complex button combination, the strategy from these kind of games are from using the right attack at the right times.

Qvoth

he used one of the sacrifice spell to fight the elf queen, changes your hand into a chain thing
awesome shit

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Seems like the spell sacrifices all the seals on your arm, turning it into a chain of bones temporarily. He locked the boss in place with the chain, and when the spell ended, his arm was nothing but bone and sinew. Incredible.

ZeroAKA

For the people who have Soul Sacrifice: If you choose to sacrifice a boss character at the end of the mission, can you replay that mission so that you save them the second time around and still have them become a partner? And will a new path be unlocked as a result?

Cha

There are a few gameplay videos already on youtube, for those interested. Needless to say, they can get spoilery (that's why I'm hesitant to post them here). Searching for the game in Japanese (&#12477;&#12454;&#12523;&#12539;&#12469;&#12463;&#12522;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12473;) and narrowing your search to the last 24 hours should do the trick (also include omitted results).
Just saw someone still using "the claw" technique, despite having 2 analog sticks. I guess old habits die hard :p

Anyone in Tokyo want to go in on a double pack? I am in town the next few days. PM me.

Can you tell us how it is doing there? Are they selling through a lot? I know most the online retailers including amazon are sold out, interested to see how brick and mortar stores are doing.

params7

Banned
-Difficulty level is very high, but the high speed action is extremely fun and rewarding to learn.

-The dark fantasy theme is well portrayed and written, although it may be too dark for some people's taste.

-About 25 hours to complete story on single player, multiplayer content expands this to several hundred hours.

I'm now pumped for this like I am for AoE2 HD and Dark Souls 2. Can't wait to play this game.

JoeFenix

Is there any frame-tearing going on in this game or is it just the youtube videos I'm watching?

Framerate looks good but I really hope there isn't any tearing, nothing I hate more!

params7

Banned
I know Famitsu reviews are bit of a joke but have they ever given a good score to a terrible game?

Not that kind of example but Famitsu slammed down Demon's Souls badly, when nobody knew about it (JP only release). Suddenly Demon's gets worldwide cult status, spawns a global release sequel which is pretty much the same thing as Demon's and Famitsu gives it near perfect scores.

Mondriaan

Not that kind of example but Famitsu slammed down Demon's Souls badly, when nobody knew about it (JP only release). Suddenly Demon's gets worldwide cult status, spawns a global release sequel which is pretty much the same thing as Demon's and Famitsu gives it near perfect scores.
That Demon's Soul's review pretty much cemented my opinion that you can't really expect them to see the next great game coming even if it punches them in the face.

test_account

XP-39C²
The most interesting thing with this review was th extra info about the game, in my opinion. I'd get the game regardless of which score it gets (i do that with all games that i want to play) =)

That Demon's Soul's review pretty much cemented my opinion that you can't really expect them to see the next great game coming even if it punches them in the face.

To be fair Demon Souls kinda needs to click with you to appreciate it. Don't get me wrong it clicked with a lot of people but who's to say it did for the Famitsu staff? Though it is still hilarious Dark Souls gets an awesome score considering it is basically the same game but maybe a little more accessible.

Good news on the Soul Sacfrice front in Japan. Really hope more publishers see these sales and realize they can make games for the Vita that aren't as compromised and still sell well.

The whole soul stealing part of multiplayer is worrying, my friends are the worst in loot based games. I suppose it isn't that big a deal against larger bosses though as everyone seems to get a go then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this last night, but slow-ass PSN took like 5 hours to download it (it's only 2GB) and I didn't have a chance to boot it up.

I also have Tomb Raider to play, but I look forward to digging into this soon. Probably over the weekend.

Really the only interesting prospect the Vita has IMO, but I'm not sure it'd be worth buying a Vita for. My gut tells me this is just a cynical Souls cash-in. Will wait for the reviews.

For the people who have Soul Sacrifice: If you choose to sacrifice a boss character at the end of the mission, can you replay that mission so thnat you save them the second time around and still have them become a partner? And will a new path be unlocked as a result?

Yeah. The book gets overwritten, as you went back and changed events. In those side missions I was talking about, I went back and saved the guy, resulting in a different outcome.

Skyzard

Banned
Really the only interesting prospect the Vita has IMO, but I'm not sure it'd be worth buying a Vita for. My gut tells me this is just a cynical Souls cash-in. Will wait for the reviews.

This is a review thread.

Nice player shadows in that video btw, pretty surprised. Will be so good with party chat as well. Feel bad for 3Ds MH owners. Even PSP had online, what happened.

Maedhros

There's NOTHING about this game that's from Souls series. Also, there's TONS of videos now with single and multi... there's no need to wait for reviews, see the game by yourself.

Top Bottom