• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Who knows. I don't think their games are selling that well on the Windows Store, Halo Wars 2 hit Steam recently and extra content sometimes comes to the Steam version first. Maybe in a few years it'll happen.

In a few years their store will continue to improve. I mean do you want to wait a few years?

m23

I'm actually really excited to see Crackdown. It's been in Dev for so long yet we haven't seen a full on gameplay trailer. All we've really seen is a tech demo and some bts footage.

Can't wait to finally see a polished demo.

gamz

I'm actually really excited to see Crackdown. It's been in Dev for so long yet we haven't seen a full on gameplay trailer. All we've really seen is a tech demo and some bts footage.

Can't wait to finally see a polished demo.

and they pulled in some heavy hitters in the past few month to finish it off. REALLY curious to see what this beast is.

oti

Banned
Yeah, I'm fine with no exclusive games so that I can play on PC instead. Here's hoping they'll embrace Steam more than they've done so far. Probably happening for a while.

I only see them embracing Steam if Halo comes out on Win10 and tanks horribly.

If (when) a price drop happens soon, it'll be down to $249, then $199 or $229 during Black Friday and Christmas.

As of right now, the minecraft bundle is $239.99 on amazon, and I've seen other deals over the months in that range. If they want to really push the slim this christmas against the Ps4, $199 is definitely what they need to be targeting.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'll never understand the fascination with steam or not buying it. More competition is a good thing. I bought a game recently on gog and the damn mods only worked on steamworks. Fuck that.

Zeta Oni

Any excuse to post the Ashen .gif

PbqUcz5.gif

So excited for what this could be.

willbsn13

I'm really looking forward to seeing new footage of Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, hopefully Cuphead, Ashen, Below etc. Even though they're known quantities, i'm still excited for them in the conference, hopefully they can wow people like numerous games E3 Demos have done in the past.

Internal studios or lack-of is not so much a problem if they could make up for it elsewhere. The problem is what the more recent pipeline of external content looked like.

I mean, we know that they have around 8-10 unannounced external developer games (excluding Forza, Halo, Gears ) in development right now.

If 5-6 of those unannounced games are AAA, then the lack of studios ain't really an issue. But as we've seen 2 years ago with ReCore, it leaves one with a feeling of dissatisfaction that a major reveal from that E3 turns out to be a lower budget endeavor.

Part of the expectation is seeing where MS goes with those Global Publishing games.

This strategy clearly hasn't been working for Microsoft, not in the past and certainly not now. Relying on external developers just creates too much uncertainty and confusion and Microsoft look like fools getting in their own way.

They had a great relationship with Bioware and let EA just swoop in and buy them out when there's no reason they couldn't have done that and maintained exclusivity on some amazing RPG games.

They had the father of Final Fantasy on board in the 360 era, and rather than to continue building on that relationship, they let that just go completely once Lost Odyssey didn't do gangbusters. If they hadn't been so shortsighted, they could have owned Mistwalker and not had to worry about JRPG exclusives, they would have been making their own and building a more diverse fanbase, and they wouldn't have had to suck up to SE to get Final Fantasy on Xbox.

Recently, Insomniac made a great game in Sunset Overdrive and Sony scooped them up to work on the Spider-Man IP. I can't help but feel that they saw the quality of SO and decided to bring them back into the fold whilst MS just scratched their heads and wondered why it didn't sell 10 million and if they should bother greenlighting a sequel.

Even when it comes to their own studios, Microsoft just can't seem to stop getting out their own way. Bungie were super successful with Halo, and probably would have been retainable if they'd just let them put that IP on ice for a while or if they created 343i for Halo and let Bungie carry on with their ideas, they sure had earned that level of trust. Even if some members of Bungie refused to stay, the studio would have still been in their possession and probably more would stay than stayed to start 343i.

I could probably think of more examples but the point I'm trying to make is this: the alternative strategy Microsoft has tried to employ simply doesn't work, and even if it did, both Sony and Nintendo have found and are finding huge amounts of success in investing heavily in both first and third party games. There's no reason we can't demand the same from Microsoft to get us invested in their ecosystem.

How do we know these? And what studios are they? At first glance that number seems high.

a. Shannon Loftis quote from last year.
b. What studios for the unannounced games are unknown, except for Studio Gobo & the rumoured Ori 2.
c. At first glance it's high, but remember that 2/3rd of these games are probably early in development and not ready for reveal since every publisher has multi-year pipelines 3-4 year in advance of development.

So, as it was, it looks like this:
1. State of Decay 2
2. Phantom Dust HD
3. Killer Instinct
4. Crackdown 3
5. ReCore
6. Scalebound
7. Studio Gobo game
8. Ori 2 ( rumoured )
9. Project in Year Two
10. Project in Year Two
11. Project in Year Two
12. Project in Year One
13. Project in Year One
14. Project in Year One

Probably something like the above? Everything from 12-14 is too early to announce, and 9-11 depends on how much time was given to make the game.

and they pulled in some heavy hitters in the past few month to finish it off. REALLY curious to see what this beast is.

Elaborate?

Any excuse to post the Ashen .gif

So excited for what this could be.

Hopefully we get to see it and a release date as well. I hope this one isn't in trouble. We did hear from Cuphead's developer but not from Ashen's, right?

I really wonder with what game they will open the show. Did they open the show last year with a game? It's not always the usual thing for them, is it?
Ruffian and Sumo Digital Games are heavy hitters now?

Ruffian made the first Crackdown and Sumo is credited for Forza Horizon 3 as well. Plus I believe someone here recently said some really talented guys were brought on board for Crackdown 3. I have a feeling and i especially hope Crackdown 3 will surprise us.

Hopefully afterwards we can say, yep some people were seriously underestimating this.

Zeta Oni

Hopefully we get to see it and a release date as well. I hope this one isn't in trouble. We did hear from Cuphead's developer but not from Ashen's, right?

I really wonder with what game they will open the show. Did they open the show last year with a game? It's not always the usual thing for them, is it?

Actually if I'm not mistaken Ashen's dev Aurora44 was looking for volunteer playtesters for the game 3 weeks ago.

I'm guessing they might be taking the Sea of Thieves approach and will premier gameplay at E3 with a focus on showing people playing it and the gameplay experiences that occur as a result of cooperation instead of just gameplay.

Doffen

Ruffian made the first Crackdown and Sumo is credited for Forza Horizon 3 as well. Plus I believe someone here recently said some really talented guys were brought on board for Crackdown 3. I have a feeling and i especially hope Crackdown 3 will surprise us.

Hopefully afterwards we can say, yep some people were seriously underestimating this.

Ruffian made Crackdown 2.

Xumbrega

Banned
I don't think Studio Gobo belongs to that 15 games on development last year, they said it very clear on job boards that the development is VERY early. They probably started to work on the project earlier this year.

Do you think it's time for a Gears spin-off?
I think they could make a shared world similar to the division. Gears' gameplay definitelly holds up to it's needs.

Actually if I'm not mistaken Ashen's dev Aurora44 was looking for volunteer playtesters for the game 3 weeks ago.

I'm guessing they might be taking the Sea of Thieves approach and will premier gameplay at E3 with a focus on showing people playing it and the gameplay experiences that occur as a result of cooperation instead of just gameplay.

Oh that is great to hear. I didn't know that.

Ruffian made Crackdown 2.

My bad.

Jez from Windows Central has done a write up on what he expects from Xbox at E3

https://m.windowscentral.com/what-were-expecting-microsofts-xbox-e3-2017-conference

Needless to say my stance of going in expecting Forza 7 and not much else is going to stand me in good stead..... lol

I wonder if these are just their expectations or if they actually already know a few things and this slightly reflects on that.

I wonder if these are just their expectations or if they actually already know a few things and this slightly reflects on that.

He knows somethings, especially with the 4K stuff. He has also stated he has no idea on what else MS has planned. He has a podcast I sometimes listen to.

It appears MS is being extremely locked down, don't think they want an entire conference leak again.

He knows somethings, especially with the 4K stuff. He has also stated he has no idea on what else MS has planned. He has a podcast I sometimes listen to.

It appears MS is being extremely locked down, don't think they want an entire conference leak again.

Which is great and I wholeheartedly agree with that. It fucking sucks to hear about surprises right before the show starts or a few days before it.

I'll remain with my expectations in check, but that EA game Jez talks about.....Could That be Bioware's new sci-fi game?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I don't think they will make a big deal out of Crackdown. The first two were not exactly heavy hitters (the first only sold because of the Halo 3 beta and the second was more an expansion of the first game with recycled setting). It was a big deal when they wanted to push cloud compute, but nowadays it is pointless.

The big things for them will be:

Forza 7 (both because of Horizon 3's success and as a graphical showcase for Scorpio)
Ori 2 (I expect it to launch alongside Scorpio)
Assassin's Creed
Sea of Thieves
Shadow of Mordor 2
Halo 3 Anniversary

Those are the titles that are their main things this holiday. For their outlook I expect

Rare Game 2 (platformer, maybe even Conker)
Fable 4 teaser
Minecraft 2 teaser (Spencer recently posted something about the great stuff Mojang is doing - and we know they are not involved with the Windows 10/Xbox One ports aside from adding content to Minecraft Java)
Plus one or two additional surprises

Looking at the charts worldwide Minecraft has peaked, there are no platforms left where they can release it, it is time for the successor.

blakep267

I don't think they will make a big deal out of Crackdown. The first two were not exactly heavy hitters (the first only sold because of the Halo 3 beta and the second was more an expansion of the first game with recycled setting). It was a big deal when they wanted to push cloud compute, but nowadays it is pointless.

The big things for them will be:

Forza 7 (both because of Horizon 3's success and as a graphical showcase for Scorpio)
Ori 2 (I expect it to launch alongside Scorpio)
Assassin's Creed
Sea of Thieves
Shadow of Mordor 2
Halo 3 Anniversary

Those are the titles that are their main things this holiday. For their outlook I expect

Rare Game 2 (platformer, maybe even Conker)
Fable 4 teaser
Minecraft 2 teaser (Spencer recently posted something about the great stuff Mojang is doing - and we know they are not involved with the Windows 10/Xbox One ports aside from adding content to Minecraft Java)
Plus one or two additional surprises

Looking at the charts worldwide Minecraft has peaked, there are no platforms left where they can release it, it is time for the successor.
I disagree. Crackdown is the game that is going to get the most marketing effort and push from MS. They didn't spend all this time making the game and doing stuff with the MP to not showcase it

Also Phil has already said they don't have a halo shooter shipping this fall. And Fable 4 ain't happening anytime soon

Man, this would be intensely boring. I hope they have some surprises for us.
Just don't go in expecting any surprises and you won't be disappointed. Your only setting yourself up for letdown

I disagree. Crackdown is the game that is going to get the most marketing effort and push from MS. They didn't spend all this time making the game and doing stuff with the MP to not showcase it

Also Phil has already said they don't have a halo shooter shipping this fall. And Fable 4 ain't happening anytime soon

Just don't go in expecting any surprises and you won't be disappointed. Your only setting yourself up for letdown

Exactly! They didn't give up on the game and let the developer take their time for it. Now they are ready to show it and for sure they are going to show it big. Especially with that Scorpio power and cloud.

I did notice Jez didn't say anything about Japanese games though. If there's one place to announce that some games are finally coming to your platform as well it's E3.

blakep267

Are people hoping against hope with Halo 3 Anniversary? Hasn't this been shot down several times already?
Yeah. I could see if it was only Stinkles saying it because he can be coy, but Phil has said they don't have a halo shooter this fall and somebody from 343 said they have a small somethibg(which Jez said was HW2 dlc)

gaming_noob

Disappointing list. Mixed Reality will probably be a big focus is the impression I'm getting. No leaks is not a good thing from MS. Although KI3, Ryse and a few others were complete surprises.

speedomodel

Hope MS can showcase some new exciting exclusives. None of the big ones this fall really interest me aside from State of Decay 2.

They really need to bite the bullet and invest in beloved NEW franchises that stumbled out the gate but have followings (Sunset Overdrive or Ryse). They have some truly interesting IP's that are sitting because they never hit Halo levels of success.

Who would make it?

If anything, that should be Gears 5. ( aka the new direction for flagship Gears )
i don't know but HW2 was announced even before Halo 5 release so I kinda expect a Gears spin-off already in th works. Who's making it is the question why there is always so much uncertainty about new microsft projects.

I don't think the Gears hardcore audience would be willing for such a drastic shift on the game. Many consider one of the strenghts of Gears 4 to be how close it's to the original trilogy.

i don't know but HW2 was announced even before Halo 5 release so I kinda expect a Gears spin-off already in th works. Who's making it is the question why there is always so much uncertainty about new microsft projects.

I don't think the Gears hardcore audience would be willing for such a drastic shift on the game. Many consider one of the strenghts of Gears 4 to be how close it's to the original trilogy.

My guess is:

2018: Gears 2 Ultimate
2019: Gears of War V

Coalition is still a relatively new studio in terms of being a "franchise manager".
I kinda don't expect them to rush into a spin-off with a new/different storyline so soon.

Hope MS can showcase some new exciting exclusives. None of the big ones this fall really interest me aside from State of Decay 2.

They really need to bite the bullet and invest in beloved NEW franchises that stumbled out the gate but have followings (Sunset Overdrive or Ryse). They have some truly interesting IP's that are sitting because they never hit Halo levels of success.

The problem is now MS wants to own IPs that they put franchise resources to, and both the games you cited belong to the developer, not MS.

m23

My guess is:

2018: Gears 2 Ultimate
2019: Gears of War V

Coalition is still a relatively new studio in terms of being a "franchise manager".
I kinda don't expect them to rush into a spin-off with a new/different storyline so soon.

A Gears 2 ultimate edition would be such a waste IMO.

They don't own either of those IPs (Sunset or Ryse), so it's probably not likely (they tried to purchase the Ryse IP and fund a sequel, but Crytek said no).

Something like a Recore sequel at some point is probably more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom