• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Minutes of Sonic Forces Off-Screen Switch Gameplay

hatchx

Banned
It's hard to tell but it looks like it holds up graphically.

Gameplay still looks god awful imo.

Sonic Mania will be my fix this year, please and thank-you.

Atrarock

I really need to see how it is in docked mode. Handheld mode does hold up really well though, but there were several performance drops in the park avenue video.

Seik

Banned
I really need to see how it is in docked mode. Handheld mode does hold up really well though, but there were several performance drops in the park avenue video.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing.

Boss fight seemed ok, but the level video had some drops when killing ennemies. I'd like to see how it performs docked.

Can't say if it's 30/60fps based on this though.

Despite some drops I think it holds up better than I expected.

I'm really starting to believe Switch is more capable than I thought.

Classic sonic boss battle looked pretty good

New sonic had some frame drops but nothing that major, color me surprised

I wanted a new generations and it looks like I'll get it with this title, hype.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah, I noticed the same thing.

Boss fight seemed ok, but the level video had some drops when killing ennemies. I'd like to see how it performs docked.

Can't say if it's 30/60fps based on this though.

It's definitely locked 30fps

Z3M0G

First half with the boss battle looked fantastic... 2nd half with the Avatar character moving forward looked terrible. They really can't nail that gameplay perspective in an effective way... and need to give up on it.

Yukinari

The OC levels could be Sonic 06 tier but that wont stop this game from selling solely because of making your own OC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The OC levels could be Sonic 06 tier but that wont stop this game from selling solely because of making your own OC.

That's very doubtful. It looks to play very similarly to modern Sonic so the Avatar Stages should at least be passable.

Gators300

Banned
Saw it in passing at the Sega area at E3. They had Switch and PS4 versions side by side. You couldn't hardly tell the difference. I'm sure there are rather big differences when DF does an analysis, but in action on the show floor they looked damn near identical.

big_z

Saw it in passing at the Sega area at E3. They had Switch and PS4 versions side by side. You couldn't hardly tell the difference. I'm sure there are rather big differences when DF does an analysis, but in action on the show floor they looked damn near identical.

when you see digital foundry zoom in or circle differences you might as well close the webpage. it's stuff you wouldn't notice when playing.

their sonic forces coverage will be interesting though. there is a noticeable decrease in lighting and LOD on the switch. it seems to be using a lower quality motion blur as well. all things considered the gameplay seems identical though.

I can't shake the feeling this is going to be a pretty bad game.

as foretold by the sonic cycle, it is destined to be a bad game.

spannicus

Dang sounds like yall down on it. I think it'll be good just to have on Switch. Looks fun and i havent had fun with a Sonic game in years.

Looks good graphically but not fun. Weird they spent so long making this game. I expected the franchise to come back with a bang and not this.

Sami+

If you liked Generations you'll like this.

Disagree.

Very different tone and gameplay from Generations. Modern and Classic look like more of the same not addressing any of the flaws from Gens, but the OC gameplay looks downright awful. The weapon stuff is really, really dumb and apparently the jump physics feel horrible according to impressions from people who played at E3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game looks good on Switch, no doubt, but it plays much better elsewhere. Even on Xbox One, the game runs at 60fps solid while the Switch version is an unstable 30fps at this point.

I thought it played pretty well on Xbox One and similar enough to Generations. The tone is weird, though, and I hate the custom character stuff but I'm sure some will enjoy that.

Robin64

The game looks good on Switch, no doubt, but it plays much better elsewhere. Even on Xbox One, the game runs at 60fps solid while the Switch version is an unstable 30fps at this point.

Did you get to play it docked? Wondering if it maintains a stable 30fps there.

You know it's bad when I can't tell from the title if it's the new 2D Sonic game, or the new 3D/2D Sonic game.

Why are the titles so forgettable in these 2 games?

dark10x

Did you get to play it docked? Wondering if it maintains a stable 30fps there.
No. The docked unit that I was capturing from had it removed. They actually removed it from ALL of the capture stations upstairs on day 1 (before I got there).

I only tried it handheld.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why is 3D Sonic still a thing? It just doesn't work.

Sonic Unleashed, Colours and Generations were great, 3D Sonic works nicely.

If it really is the same game and 60fps stable on Xbone, 30fps dropping frames on Switch, I will definitely get the Xbone version.

Maxrunner

I thought it played pretty well on Xbox One and similar enough to Generations. The tone is weird, though, and I hate the custom character stuff but I'm sure some will enjoy that.

Well isn't that the usual?

budpikmin

Graphically it looks nice and it's good to see the Chaotix team back but I hate modern sonics focus on constantly locking onto things. It's just not very fun

Still plenty of time to get it up to a stable 30 I'd assume though

Why is 3D Sonic still a thing? It just doesn't work.

This sort of attitude is why 3D Sonic is so half assed, because people keep wanting less of it because it "doesn't work" so they take that feedback and start pushing the 3D back which results in more complaining that theres too much 2D. Sonic Team can't even get 2D right nowadays, so its the dev team's fault why its always been bad. I guarantee, much like the case with Sonic Mania, if a dev team that actually gave a damn and had a shot with making 3D Sonic good, they would.

That aside, it looks in line with the other footage we've seen (PS4 I think?), but I see some framedrops when explosions happen. Game overall looks like a frequent deviantart user's lazily-made dumb wet dream, so thank god for Mania.

PKrockin

At the very least this'll be an entertaining rental for me, whether it's a hilarious trainwreck or a legitimately good game like Generations.

dark10x

Still plenty of time to get it up to a stable 30 I'd assume though
While true, I'm not sure I could go with the Switch version when it's 30 vs 60fps elsewhere.

Unlike Generations or Unleashed, they're not even really using motion blur so it feels even less smooth.

While true, I'm not sure I could go with the Switch version when it's 30 vs 60fps elsewhere.

Unlike Generations or Unleashed, they're not even really using motion blur so it feels even less smooth.

For me personally the portable factor of the Switch pushes my purchase over other versions. It looks like it holds up and I had a great time with Colours and Generations despite them being 30fps on consoles.

Chauzu

For me personally the portable factor of the Switch pushes my purchase over other versions. It looks like it holds up and I had a great time with Colours and Generations despite them being 30fps on consoles.

Yeah, for me it's Switch or nothing: I can live with 30 fps if the game looks fun enough.

atm, not sure I can say that it does...

Zalman

I think 3D Sonic can work if it's done right. Colors and Generations are good examples of that.

However, what I don't like about this game is how unfocused it is. Three different playstyles just sucks, especially now that Mania exists. If they can't do 2D better than that, they shouldn't bother. I'd rather have a full game with just the 3D levels. Colors is *technically* that, but that game also has a lot of 2D sections.

Either way, I'll probably give it a go on Switch just for the portability.

Luigiv

Let's ask the real questions: how does sonic mania look on switch and is it on par with the other versions?

As far as I can tell from Youtube videos, Sonic Mania looks identical across all version. Not that you'd expect there to be a difference, given the game's retro aspirations.

Yeah I agree with you. I would have loved to get this on the Switch but the target frame-rate and horrid frame-drops are a good enough reason for me pick this up on the PS4.

Sonic Mania is day one on the Switch.

But it doesn't hold up well. Don't sacrifice stable gameplay for portability, especially for a game like Sonic.

As far as I can tell from Youtube videos, Sonic Mania looks identical across all version. Not that you'd expect there to be a difference, given the game's retro aspirations.

Identical. As it should be.

But it doesn't hold up well. Don't sacrifice stable gameplay for portability, especially for a game like Sonic.

Well the game isn't out yet so they have time to clean it up. Further more if portability is the only way someone is gonna buy a game then how it runs elsewhere is pretty irrelevant. I played Generations on PS3. Framerate had issues but it was mostly fine. Dark said this lacks the smoothing if motion blur so we'll see how it turns out.

Top Bottom