• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Minutes of Sonic Forces Off-Screen Switch Gameplay

Well the game isn't out yet so they have time to clean it up. Further more if portability is the only way someone is gonna buy a game then how it runs elsewhere is pretty irrelevant. I played Generations on PS3. Framerate had issues but it was mostly fine. Dark said this lacks the smoothing if motion blur so we'll see how it turns out.

Well they certainly do have the time to further optimise the game but I don't think we'll see a palpable difference.

Portability is a factor, not a requirement.

Vidiot

Pretty solid effort in the Switch front. Will double dip.

At least It will be as good as Generations. OC stages are a mistery

IDK, that modern Sonic stage looked pretty damn bland even compared to modern GHZ. Nothing stand out about it, no cool set piece moments, and too much 2D section. Also with Mania coming out classic Sonic is going to be harder to forgive if his physics and odd jumping are still the same as Generations. As far as the OC is concerned I don't even want them in the game.

Mania is day 1, but I'm waiting on Forces to read some impressions/reviews.

hotcyder

Err... how final is that UI?

Also blimey the acceleration in those 3D arena sections looks quite off.

Still, could be good!(?)

RocknRola

The dude playing in the GameXplain video hurt me. Did he never play any 3D game ever? Holy crap.

Otherwise, it's literally Generations 2.0 (with all the good and bad that brings). I'm game, though Mania will likely be the better game when all is said and done.

I used to be such a hardcore Sega fan, had all the consoles and remember liking sonic adventure 1 but, really, these 3d Sonics look completely bankrupt in terms of gameplay ideas. I mean, 80% of what you do is just automated stuff. Running on speed pads, jumping on springs, grabbing onto zip lines, killing enemies with a lock on system that is basically button mashing until they're all dead... aside from slightly changing your direction to avoid obstacles and collect rings there's really nothing else to do, is there? They might as well just make an FMV game out of it.

Every time they announce a new game I think they will maybe do something radically different but no, it's always the same thing.

Really hope Sega learns some lessons from Nintendo this gen and tries to take some risks and make something innovative.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This sort of attitude is why 3D Sonic is so half assed, because people keep wanting less of it because it "doesn't work" so they take that feedback and start pushing the 3D back which results in more complaining that theres too much 2D. Sonic Team can't even get 2D right nowadays, so its the dev team's fault why its always been bad. I guarantee, much like the case with Sonic Mania, if a dev team that actually gave a damn and had a shot with making 3D Sonic good, they would.

That aside, it looks in line with the other footage we've seen (PS4 I think?), but I see some framedrops when explosions happen. Game overall looks like a frequent deviantart user's lazily-made dumb wet dream, so thank god for Mania.

I'm not sure your perspective is right. Sonic 3D games aren't half-assed because people want less of them. People want less of them because Sonic 3D games tend to be half-assed. If Sonic Team wants to make an awesome 3D game they should listen to the negative feedback and fix the formula. If their response is to just do less 3D then they really aren't committed to good 3D in the first place.

RocknRola

I'm not sure your perspective is right. Sonic 3D games aren't half-assed because people want less of them. People want less of them because Sonic 3D games tend to be half-assed. If Sonic Team wants to make an awesome 3D game they should listen to the negative feedback and fix the formula. If their response is to just do less 3D then they really aren't committed to good 3D in the first place.

Kinda impossible to listen to fan feedback when the fanbase is so divided on what they want.

Even removing the 2D fans from the equation, you have plenty of fans who want a return to the Adventura Era, fans who want this modern "Generations/Colour" style, fans who want it play like Mario, fans who want it to play like the many sandbox type demos/concepts out there, fans who don't want any side characters, fans who ONLY want side characters, etc.

It's a whole damn mess really. Probably one of the more fractured fanbases I personally know of.

gafneo

Banned
This doesn't look much like a game. You just run to exit while smashing into robots. Old Sonics had a variety of tricky plat forming scenarios. After Sonic Unleashed came out, 3D Sonic games have been like this. I thought Generations was pretty good, but still plagued by the shallowness.

gafneo

Banned
15 minutes in. PR says they reduced cliff deaths dramatically. Fan feedback made it so we don't get lives. It's not sounding very challenging. I want to at least feel like I made an effort. The ring collecting is not my idea of fun so they can't excuse that as the hard parts. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tCY8Iseh4fA

TrueOutlook

Neo Member
Graphically it looks pretty good, but I'm not really too sure about the customisable character segments, gameplay wise it looks a bit clunky, I would rather more 3D and 2D sonic stages instead.

MrBadger

IDK, that modern Sonic stage looked pretty damn bland even compared to modern GHZ. Nothing stand out about it, no cool set piece moments, and too much 2D section. Also with Mania coming out classic Sonic is going to be harder to forgive if his physics and odd jumping are still the same as Generations. As far as the OC is concerned I don't even want them in the game.

Mania is day 1, but I'm waiting on Forces to read some impressions/reviews.

I think the classic stage we've seen looks like a step down from Generations. The level design so far is reminding me of Sonic 4. A real issue I had with that game's level design was that if you missed an upper route (like, fell off a set piece or didn't latch onto a Bubbles chain in time), you'd just fall down onto a spring that'd bounce you to the upper route regardless (or a pit). Forces seems very insistent on bouncing Sonic where he needs to jump, while Generations had more lower routes if you fuck up and miss. Generations also had more visually interesting set-pieces during automated running segments. Not seen anything like that in Forces yet.

Still reckon Forces will be decent, but modern Sonic probably peaked at Generations. That is to say...Sonic Team's games in the modern day. Not the character Modern Sonic.

I think the spherical platforming for once made the 3D movement in a Sonic game manageable. They were onto something, then got rid of it.

It was a good idea, but Sonic Team weren't good enough to get it to work properly, which is too bad.

Well they certainly do have the time to further optimise the game but I don't think we'll see a palpable difference.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Portability is a factor, not a requirement.

Lol you don't decide this for people.

This doesn't look much like a game. You just run to exit while smashing into robots. Old Sonics had a variety of tricky plat forming scenarios. After Sonic Unleashed came out, 3D Sonic games have been like this. I thought Generations was pretty good, but still plagued by the shallowness.

I thought about half the modern sonic levels in Generations were really good and the other half sucked. I liked all the Classic levels except planet wisp.

So long as it runs at a stable 30fps, I'll consider picking it up on Switch. I think I value being able to pick up the game anywhere, so long as I can play it well at 30fps.

For instance, WipEout and the Project Diva games on PSP/Vita were both 30fps, but I put way more time into them than their console equivalents (Omega Collection, Project Diva Future Tone).

Obviously 60fps on Switch would be perfect. Maybe when a Switch 2 with Tegra X2 comes out Sega could push an update to remove the 30fps lock for that device.

RocknRola

I think the spherical platforming for once made the 3D movement in a Sonic game manageable. They were onto something, then got rid of it.

Lost World had good ideas, but needed an extra iteration to actually perfect them. Everything from the visuals to the level design made "sense", however much like many other series, a 1st try rarely comes out "perfect". Shame they didn't bet on it again, a 2nd game could have made the design and gameplay click in a good way.

Donnie

Yep.

You what?

He already knows its 30fps so he clearly values portability above a higher framerate, you may not see it that way but that's his opinion. Personally I share his view, the game looks like it runs fine to me at least in videos and being able to take Sonic on the go is more important to me than a even higher framerate.

Berordn

Lost World had good ideas, but needed an extra iteration to actually perfect them. Everything from the visuals to the level design made "sense", however much like many other series, a 1st try rarely comes out "perfect". Shame they didn't bet on it again, a 2nd game could have made the design and gameplay click in a good way.

It might have helped if they'd actually finished the first one too. After the third world you start seeing repeated geometry and levels and just sort of falls apart.

The first two worlds made for a great proof of concept, though

I played the game myself both docked and undocked. It's honestly very solid. I was skeptical but the game just feels great in every play style and the visuals look astonishing for this tiny tablet. I played pretty much all of Nintendo's 2017 Switch lineup with the exception of Xenoblade 2 and Sonic Forces is easily one of the best looking of the lot. The frame rate seemed solid when docked (there were a few dips when undocked but nothing crazy) and I just had a great time with it. Probably played through each character around 3 times to get a solid feel of them. I'm pleasantly surprised, it's not just a good port but it's also a good game.

Piers

I played the game myself both docked and undocked. It's honestly very solid. I was skeptical but the game just feels great in every play style and the visuals look astonishing for this tiny tablet. I played pretty much all of Nintendo's 2017 Switch lineup with the exception of Xenoblade 2 and Sonic Forces is easily one of the best looking of the lot. The frame rate seemed solid when docked (there were a few dips when undocked but nothing crazy) and I just had a great time with it. Probably played through each character around 3 times to get a solid feel of them. I'm pleasantly surprised, it's not just a good port but it's also a good game.

That's good to hear, hopefully that holds up to retail release.
Though I'm also wondering if the slightly underwhelming look to the game is also because they're trying to keep a sort of parity going with Switch too.

Josh7289

30 fps is disappointing but otherwise it seems to be fine. Hopefully the next 3D Sonic game on Switch can get to 60 fps though.

Top Bottom