• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Truth |OT| That face is a bit of a consolation prize, isn't it?

Nice, OP. My account wasn't validated when Mask of Deception came out so I couldn't talk much about it. Different case now though.

Saphirax

Preordered mine alongside Ys 8! TGC hasn't dispatched it yet. Maybe I'll get both games at once :p.

Heard it's longer than its predecessor, which is always a good thing in my book.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Finally, I really enjoyed the prequel, I been wanting to see the ending ever since the anime.

Sylwest

Great OT! I really enjoyed Mask of Deception and I'm super excited about getting my copy of Mask of Truth tomorrow!

Shizuka

It's been a week since I've been playing the game for review and I'm twenty hours in. I don't want to write my review before finishing the game, but I must say that the game doesn't disappoint thus far, it takes Mask of Deception's ending and develop an even better narrative for the sequel.

Kohak

Neo Member
Cannot wait to play it. Used to think I'd never get the chance to play both of these in English. Praise Atlus.

I still need to wrap up the Dream Arena tonight on my flight before I start Truth.
I have like three battles left but I've been completely stuck and grinding is super slow at high levels.

Ala Alba

I understand it's probably not optimal but if I jump into this game from the Anime, is it doable?

Yeah, I think the anime covers most of the plot points. If you have time, try to find some video of the end of the Mask of Deception, maybe? That's mostly where the game is a lot clearer than the anime, IIRC.

Yeah, I think the anime covers most of the plot points. If you have time, try to find some video of the end of the Mask of Deception, maybe? That's mostly where the game is a lot clearer than the anime, IIRC.

most of the stuff the anime skips is either stuff that existed to set up the ending of the first game, or stuff that gets explained in another way. Main segment the anime skips is the ruins, and the only real information it withholds that I can remember is the suggestion that
Kuon woke Haku from his cryosleep and is aware that he's human.

Oh I guess I could also mention that segment reveals the nature of the tatari/curse to other party members which I don't think happens in the anime

I'd note that watching the first anime will probably be really helpful to anyone who hasn't yet, since my understanding is that the events and characters of the original game/anime will be more prominent than they were in the mask of deception

I'd note that watching the first anime will probably be really helpful to anyone who hasn't yet, since my understanding is that the events and characters of the original game/anime will be more prominent than they were in the mask of deception
Truth is so tied to knowing the original.
One of the most minor characters in Utawarerumono is a major character in Mask of Truth.
Plus having the emotional ties to Tuskur enhances so much.

Jimrpg

The one game I get in early, I can't play anyway because I haven't finished the previous title.

I am thoroughly enjoying Mask of Deception and taking my time with it.

Ekid

Good thing I didn't delete MoD after finishing it since you can get some bonus if you have a save of it.

Seems like equipment carry over (limited to one copy each) and you get an additional bonus for each character who reached max level, and another if they reached Max BP.

Thanks for making an OT in Parakeetman's absence.

I regret cancelling my import/order for this since Mario XCOM still hasn't arrived yet and I thought I'd have no time to play it before more releases this month...it is however now live on European PS Stores so I am rather tempted. Having no space left on my Vita memory card is the only thing holding me back, however.

It's been a week since I've been playing the game for review and I'm twenty hours in. I don't want to write my review before finishing the game, but I must say that the game doesn't disappoint thus far, it takes Mask of Deception's ending and develop an even better narrative for the sequel.

Given I recall that like myself you were calling Mask of Deception GOTY, this makes me insanely excited.

Stenlock

Neo Member
Ps4 pro here. Why is everything blurred and low res? Text, UI, Character sprites, backgrounds... It seems like they are all covered with some crappy bilinear filter.

Just compared it directly with Mask of Deception and the difference is night and day.
Wtf?

Ps4 pro here. Why is everything blurred and low res? Text, UI, Character sprites, backgrounds... It seems like they are all covered with some crappy bilinear filter.

Just compared it directly with Mask of Deception and the difference is night and day.
Wtf?

On PS4 Mask of Truth is locked at 720p. For what it's worth it wouldn't support PS4 Pro since its original release predated the Pro (September 2016).

What is strange is how Mask of Deception is higher resolution though - the PS4 demo for Mask of Truth (on Japanese PSN) is definitely 720p. Didn't play Mask of Deception on PS4 though on Vita the 3D graphics look like 360p while the art and HUD is native 544p. I'd have at least expected the PS4 version of Mask of Truth to have a 1080p HUD and artwork, with 720p 3D visuals if they couldn't hit 1080p.

Nope. Game has the ps4 pro enhanced label in the back.

I hope this is not a bug like it was in World of Final Fantasy.

Weird, maybe it is a bug. If the original Japanese release wasn't PS4 Pro enhanced then it's unlikely programming would have been done to make the localisation PS4 Pro enhanced, as was the case with Persona 5. Either way on regular PS4 it's 720p which is already far lower than it should be.

Edit: Utaware 3 is listed here as PS4 Pro enhanced. Hmm... http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps4/features/enhanced-contents/

Stenlock

Neo Member
Weird, maybe it is a bug. If the original Japanese release wasn't PS4 Pro enhanced then it's unlikely programming would have been done to make the localisation PS4 Pro enhanced, as was the case with Persona 5. Either way on regular PS4 it's 720p which is already far lower than it should be.

Edit: Utaware 3 is listed here as PS4 Pro enhanced. Hmm... http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps4/features/enhanced-contents/

Some screenshots (shouldn't be any spoilers, since I have taken pics form both the Japanese demo and the final NA game to compare.)

Top is NA, bottom is JP.
Mind you, it's not really noticable on a smartphone screen, but it really is when blown up on a big screen.
Look, for example, in the area just below Nekone's chin.

JP demo still wasn't enhanced for Ps4 pro. Which is making me think of a borked PRO patch.

Thanks. The final version here looks like the JP Demo for sure. Though it really shouldn't have been 720p on regular PS4 to begin with.

Stenlock

Neo Member
Alas no - only tried the Japanese demo on PS4. Getting this one on Vita. Not looking forward to the low resolution battle scenes again...
I should then specify that both the jp demo and EU version's screenshots were taken by me.

I'm on a 1080p screen, so I don't know if there is going to be any difference when connected to a 4k tv.

Alas no - only tried the Japanese demo on PS4. Getting this one on Vita. Not looking forward to the low resolution battle scenes again...

Wait, the low resolution battle where on the ps4? I thought this was on the vita.

Also, I played 30 minutes, and I loved how
Kaoru doesn't waste time in making Kuon remember, despite what everyone was saying to him. I knew he was going to do that the moment he stepped into the room
. Good times.

Just got my copy through the mail, still need to finish Mask of Deception. Bought it now so I could show some support, and of course for that pillowcase, lol.

Lawd, having Fumirul in this game is the best fanservice I could ask for.
For a character who appears as a portrait-less baby in just a couple slice of life scenes, having her back and older is super fulfilling.

Shizuka

Lawd, having Fumirul in this game is the best fanservice I could ask for.
For a character who appears as a portrait-less baby in just a couple slice of life scenes, having her back and older is super fulfilling.

Who are her parents? Is she the child from that couple at the beginning of the first game?

Pantz

zPvcCce.jpg

I'm gonna sleep gooood tonight!

Who are her parents? Is she the child from that couple at the beginning of the first game?
No. She was just an orphaned baby that Urtorii (idk how Atlus localized her name) took in for a while. Then her real parents were found, Urtorii reluctantly returned Fumirul with Karulau's encouragement, and she was gone from the story forever.

Stenlock

Neo Member
No. She was just an orphaned baby that Urtorii (idk how Atlus localized her name) took in for a while. Then her real parents were found, Urtorii reluctantly returned Fumirul with Karulau's encouragement, and she was gone from the story forever.
Whaaaaat

I didn't realize that, damn.

aravuus

Heard it's twice as long as Mask of Deception.

This doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

Anyone here who thought MoD ranged from mediocre to pretty good playing this? I'm interested in hearing some more critical opinions. I mean, no offense to the "MoD GOTY" crowd obviously, but clearly our tastes and priorities don't exactly align lol.

Ekid

Wut.

This passed way over my head, I remembered the baby but totally forgot what his name was so I didn't make the connection.

Top Bottom