• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Truth |OT| That face is a bit of a consolation prize, isn't it?

Aru

The first game wasn't released here, so I guess the only way to start is to watch the anime?

On the Vita box it says 3.2GB memory required - is this a mistake? That's the size of the digital copy of the game, not the save file, right? Do I need to do the save transfer feature from the game's LiveArea or were saves for Mask of Deception stored on the Vita memory card?

Wait, the low resolution battle where on the ps4? I thought this was on the vita.

PS4 is locked 720p at all times for the art, menus, battles and so on.
Vita is probably going to be 544p for menus, art, and 360p for the battles, if it's the same as Mask of Deception.

Received my copy today, though I also got Mario + Rabbids so I'm not sure whether to start it now or not. I just hope the strategy battle scenes aren't going to feel and play dull coming from Mario + Rabbids...hopefully they are better than Mask of Deception, which only had a small handful of good battle maps and situations. Sting is better than that.

This doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

Anyone here who thought MoD ranged from mediocre to pretty good playing this? I'm interested in hearing some more critical opinions. I mean, no offense to the "MoD GOTY" crowd obviously, but clearly our tastes and priorities don't exactly align lol.

Yeah, it definitely ranged between those two, though I found it to be pretty good a lot more often than mediocre. Visual Novel aside, the strategy RPG levels were disappointingly shallow, though.

I too am worried about its length being twice as long, though the ending of Mask of Deception will probably make 3 feel like it's starting from a fresh place, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

The first game wasn't released here, so I guess the only way to start is to watch the anime?
Yup. It's streaming on Funimation.
Or you can play the fan translation of 1.

On the Vita box it says 3.2GB memory required - is this a mistake? That's the size of the digital copy of the game, not the save file, right? Do I need to do the save transfer feature from the game's LiveArea or were saves for Mask of Deception stored on the Vita memory card?
It says that, but it doesn't require that much space.
Saves are stored on your card, so transferring is as easy as putting in Truth and starting a new game.

Shizuka

Uruuru & Saraana are still a beast in this game, and so is Atuy.

My progress so far:
8/33 story trophies.

jonjonaug

I'm around 18 hours in and feel like the story's only just begun too. Finished the first major battle arc last night before going to bed. Thoughts on that arc:
Maroro's reaction to Haku's "death" hurt more than anything else so far. Jachdwalt literally farting in Deko's general direction was amazing. Mikazuchi is a beast. Raiko is probably going to get fucked over in the future from not listening to his brother about "Oshtor's" change in behavior.
Also Shinonon is best girl.

Can someone remind me again what the deal was with the
Tatari and the Iceman project
from Mask of Deception and their relation to
the world long past
?

I've forgotten the details, annoyingly. All I remember was
who Haku's brother really was (Mito) and who Anju and Honoka were.

Can someone remind me again what the deal was with the
Tatari and the Iceman project
from Mask of Deception and their relation to
the world long past
?

I've forgotten the details, annoyingly. All I remember was
who Haku's brother really was (Mito) and who Anju and Honoka were.

Well spoilers from mask of deception really :

Mito is haku brother , he was looking for a way to allow humans to live on the surface and treated haku . Haku was unaware of this. Anju & honoka are clones of the original mito familly since they died when the curse activated.
There are basicly 2 events :
-The fact that regular humans couldn't live on the surface
-The fact that the humans living on shelters underground became cursed and transfromed in to those giant slimes that eat everything on their path.. Those are separate.

What you need to know is that while looking for a way for humans to live on the surface ( what mito was trying to do ) , another group of scientists made several key mistakes , one being that they really angered someone capable to curse all of humanity. The details of this are either in the anime of the first game or in the first game.
More info: The iceman project was a experiment from a group of scientists that found a huge fossil and believed that they could extract DNA from it to find a way for humanity to live again on the surface. They did a lot of experiments , found out that there was a god inside and angered him. The god cursed humanity. Before that the scientists released several pockets of altered humans on the surface since they could live there ( as part of their experiments ) . When the curse hit , mito who started treatment on himself and was not hit by the curse , went to the surface , found those new "humans" and helped them.

Well spoilers from mask of deception really :

Mito is haku brother , he was looking for a way to allow humans to live on the surface and treated haku . Haku was unaware of this. Anju & honoka are clones of the original mito familly since they died when the curse activated.
There are basicly 2 events :
-The fact that regular humans couldn't live on the surface
-The fact that the humans living on shelters underground became cursed and transfromed in to those giant slimes that eat everything on their path.. Those are separate.

What you need to know is that while looking for a way for humans to live on the surface ( what mito was trying to do ) , another group of scientists made several key mistakes , one being that they really angered someone capable to curse all of humanity. The details of this are either in the anime of the first game or in the first game.
More info: The iceman project was a experiment from a group of scientists that found a huge fossil and believed that they could extract DNA from it to find a way for humanity to live again on the surface. They did a lot of experiments , found out that there was a god inside and angered him. The god cursed humanity. Before that the scientists released several pockets of altered humans on the surface since they could live there ( as part of their experiments ) . When the curse hit , mito who started treatment on himself and was not hit by the curse , went to the surface , found those new "humans" and helped them.

Cheers, that's jogged my memory!

Ekid

IIRC the fossil was discovered when humanity was still living on the surface. Iceman project is only related to the masked man they found stuck in the ice while living underground.
Also I believe they said in MoD that Haku was the one who hacked the data about the project, which is brother probably used afterward.
The only thing I don't remember mentioned is if Mito is the one who created the four masks or not.

IIRC the fossil was discovered when humanity was still living on the surface. Iceman project is only related to the masked man they found stuck in the ice while living underground.
Also I believe they said in MoD that Haku was the one who hacked the data about the project, which is brother probably used afterward.
The only thing I don't remember mentioned is if Mito is the one who created the four masks or not.

correct. Though Iceman project was only really detailed in the original game/anime, not mask of deception

Well , more details.

You're right that
The fossil was discovered when the surface was viable ,
since that's when the scientist that later became hakuoro made the pact with that god
and the god assimilated his dying body. The iceman project was the study of that ensemble
( that god with the human body in the fossil ( with the mask ))
And while haku certainly hacked the data for that project and handed it to his brother , i do find it hard to believe that his brother wasn't already looking for a different way on his own. Mito was almost certainly part of ANOTHER group of researchers at the time.

They have added some cool and fun stuff for the battle system. I'm enjoying it more this time around. I've also found some battles to be more challenging than what you've come to expect after MoD- They are also better designed.

Stenlock

Neo Member
I don't know why, but Shinonon cracks me up everytime. Especially that portrait of her with her arms raised lol

I think I'm done with 1/3 of the game
11/33 story
trophies and so far I'm enjoying it probably more than the first game. I'm not exactly rushing it but I'm usually skipping text once I read it instead of just putting the game on auto like I did with MoD.
I don't know how to feel about how they have handled some of the big stuff so far, but It still has been a good ride at least. I have had to check if there's another game after this one because as many people are saying it really feels like the game is going to be long.

Finally everything that I've seen so far doesn't led me to believe that someone that didn't enjoy MoD that much is going to enjoy this one more. Again, this is only for the first 1/3 (or maybe less, how knows at this point).

Beat the game last night. Overall a great experience though I do have some qualms. For example
I don't really feel like there was a good payoff to keeping Vurai alive after the first game and so it just felt really unnecessary to me

Shizuka

Beat the game last night. Overall a great experience though I do have some qualms. For example
I don't really feel like there was a good payoff to keeping Vurai alive after the first game and so it just felt really unnecessary to me

How long did it take you?

Deeda

I have the game but haven't finished the first one (6 hours in)

I'm excited though, can't wait to finish and play through this one. I love the original Utawarerumono so much

While I did feel resentment to
Vurai's return, his role was important to the story when it comes to Nekone and Hakushtor's bond. I enjoyed the scene after his fight, as I felt that's where the payoff really was.

While I did feel resentment to
Vurai's return, his role was important to the story when it comes to Nekone and Hakushtor's bond. I enjoyed the scene after his fight, as I felt that's where the payoff really was.

I mean yeah, that's obviously what was intended, but I can't help but feel like they could've handled that in a different way and it would have been better. Or otherwise they should have
made Vurai develop a bit more before he actually died

This isn't really grabbing me, I hope it picks up as the first 4-5 hours haven't been particularly interesting. I get that things had to have settled down and found a steady tempo after the events of Mask of Deception, but that isn't really the issue.

It feels like the cast, post-Mask of Deception, has grown to a point where you get a lot of events or dialogue that exist to give equal time or weighting to those characters at a certain point in the story, and it results in awkward pacing.

It doesn't help that the battle system is, again, not up to much strategically, though I'm still hopeful this changes as I've only played a small handful of stages.

This isn't really grabbing me, I hope it picks up as the first 4-5 hours haven't been particularly interesting. I get that things had to have settled down and found a steady tempo after the events of Mask of Deception, but that isn't really the issue.

It feels like the cast, post-Mask of Deception, has grown to a point where you get a lot of events or dialogue that exist to give equal time or weighting to those characters at a certain point in the story, and it results in awkward pacing.

It doesn't help that the battle system is, again, not up to much strategically, though I'm still hopeful this changes as I've only played a small handful of stages.

Some stages later on felt better designed and certain conditions gave me some trouble on hard, but it's still a really easy game all around. They also have some additions to the system that don't show until a certain point.

There were some parts in this game where I thought that if they were to focus and do a real SRPG they could be capable of doing something interesting.

Anyways, I think I'm close to beating the game. I'm rushing quite a bit during story sections while trying to do some trophy stuff. I'm going to miss these characters and world, and I hope this isn't the last game they do in this series.
I don't know how much the localization could have costed to Atlus, but I hope they get some profits from these games and that they try to localize possible future entries.

jonjonaug

Pretty dang far in, I seem close to the end.

Kuon finally got a kiss
but I cared WAAAAAY more about the
Uruuru and Saraana
reveal than anything to deal with
how she found Haku and Haku kissing her
. I thought I was kinda of burned out on emotional scene after emotional scene over and over for the past dozen or so hours but I ended up crying again after being like "oh ok" for the past three or four major plot happenings.
FUCK the Mikado holy shit, your waifu ain't worth all that you tremendous dick

Then
the Kuon scene like immediately afterward
happened and I was back to "oh, ok". They stretched that out for way too long for me to actually care about things at all
when progress finally happened in their relationship
, I honestly care more about whether the twins will finally get their win or not at this point.

EDIT: Oh and I gotta say,
fuck you Hakuoro. Why the heck did team Tuskur just let Woshis have the MASTAH KEY?!

Pretty dang far in, I seem close to the end.

Kuon finally got a kiss
but I cared WAAAAAY more about the
Uruuru and Saraana
reveal than anything to deal with
how she found Haku and Haku kissing her
. I thought I was kinda of burned out on emotional scene after emotional scene over and over for the past dozen or so hours but I ended up crying again after being like "oh ok" for the past three or four major plot happenings.
FUCK the Mikado holy shit, your waifu ain't worth all that you tremendous dick

Then
the Kuon scene like immediately afterward
happened and I was back to "oh, ok". They stretched that out for way too long for me to actually care about things at all
when progress finally happened in their relationship
, I honestly care more about whether the twins will finally get their win or not at this point.

EDIT: Oh and I gotta say,
fuck you Hakuoro. Why the heck did team Tuskur just let Woshis have the MASTAH KEY?!
yeah that part seemed really weird to me as well

jonjonaug

You'd think with having like five moms who are all friendly Kuon wouldn't be the monogamy police. She might as well be wearing a shirt with the CERO C rating emblazoned on it.

How does this compare to Disgaea? I'm a big fan of that series.

The 2 of them are nothing alike. This is a story heavy (70-80% story) visual novel with the occasional srpg battle, where as Disgaea focuses far more on it's srpg elements. If you expect meaningful gameplay from this that compares to other games in the genre, you will be disappointed, as others have shown in the OT for the first game and this one as well.

Ok so i've finaly got my game.

Thanks postal service !!! Then again .. when 2 hurricanes are in the way , they couldn't have been faster even if they had wanted to.

Time to start this.

OK , i must say . Damn

The first chapters of this game are excellent .. like the feelign of hunger slowly disappearing after being starved for so long ...

it's incredible.

jonjonaug

Holy shit that final stage, those enemies, that music, those
special co-ops
MORALE BOOST EX
everyone tanking the final boss's overzeal attack
. Ended the fight with
the Twins/Haku co-op
and it felt like the proper way to end things.

The epilogue was great too.
Got a good laugh out of the bandit basically turning into Nosuri's sister, Kiwru found his true calling as comic relief, Mikazuchi FUCKING LIVED MAN I so thought he was gonna die at some piint, Shinonon moves up in the world, Anju's still the best empress, everyone's doing good.

Then at the very end I was like "wait what happened to
Uruuru and Saraana
?" But then the answer was
they won it all, chilling with Haku forever heck yes. Maybe Kuon should have learned to dimension walk if she didn't want to get NTR'd
. I was very satisfied.

Then the very last scene was just....
"ENJOY HARD LABOR" Haku's the best freaking protagonist

Aaaaanyway. Most of the game was great. I had some issues with the last 12 or so hours of the game, but that final boss and epilogue REALLY brought things home in a great way.

Stenlock

Neo Member
Spoiler question. Read only if you have beaten the game.
I think I have been spoiled?

so, somebody said something that had to do with Atuy leaving the party. Now,
knowing this, I'm getting paranoid and I think I just want to know.
Does this mean that she is going to die?

Just a yes/no answer, please.

Timodus

Finally beat the game. Took me 73h but I used auto mode and did some extra fights. Truly one of the best games of the year.

***no***

jonjonaug

No

Apparently the game toyed with me and it seems I'm not close to beating the game. Good.
For those who have beat the game, how far I am?
Amaterasu has been fired

jonjonaug

Apparently the game toyed with me and it seems I'm not close to beating the game. Good.
For those who have beat the game, how far I am?
Amaterasu has been fired
You're about to enter the final big arc. You're "near" the end in the sense that you still have maybe 5 or so stages to go with about as much time per usual (1-2 hours) between each.

You're nearing the end. It took me about 8,5h after that with auto mode.

You're about to enter the final big arc. You're "near" the end in the sense that you still have maybe 5 or so stages to go with about as much time per usual (1-2 hours) between each.

Thanks both. Now I know more or less how much time I have left. The past hours have been a bit weird to say something, but mostly good. I have to ready myself to end this game.

I hope this itch the scratch of tears to tiara 2...
The first game was underwhelming..
The second game (deception) was better but FAR inferior to tears to tiara 2..
Hopefully they improved this last chapter..

Is a good game with a story driven approach and a nice tactical battle system too much?
I miss my old knight of lodis.. that is the only game sitting on THE throne with fft for me :/

Jesus that fight with
Vurai
, ended up having to restart the fight 4 times in a row because I just could not keep people alive due to his one shot ultimate. Really had to work on positioning on that one and just pray to rng that he didn't target certain people.

Sylwest

I'm about 34 hours in, and I've enjoyed my time with it so far. I've actually had a few instances where I teared up or laughed out loud.

I experienced a crash during battle when I had
Kuon and Oshtor execute a co-op finisher
. Fortunately it didn't effect my save file or anything. I'm hoping that's the only crash I'll have in this game.

Top Bottom