• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Battle Royal will be Free for everybody from September 26th

I wish I could refund this damn game. Was up for a PvE tower defence game but one month after they sold it they decided to make a different game well before it even got close to leaving Early Access.

Never touching anything from Epic again after this one. Massive bait and switch just to follow the new hotness which almost everyone is looking at now. Can't stand these Battle Royale games either so I feel doubly screwed.

Bought on PS4 so no refund for me unfortunately.

I'm still sketched out about it myself. And I'm more or less on the same side as you. They did just lay out the next two months give or take and have promised to be more transparent in the future. Check out the pinned post on the reddit.

Highlights include the ability to buy what you want, and a new biome with the Halloween update.

You've been negative on this for a while though so it may not matter at this point.

The battle royal mode isn't done by the Fortnite PVE team apparently. The PVE team is still doing what they were doing unaffected by BR, even though it's the new hotness.

Fortnite / Battle Royal's situation is a lot better than Marvel Heroes situation, where the devs of that game moved pretty much all focus to the console versions while the PC players are sitting here twiddling our thumbs. I spent so much money in that game, Gazillion couldn't handle doing both versions, they could hardly handle the PC version alone it seemed.

Don't pretend you don't know what you're doing on that date Evil Mei.

Yeah I'm aware there's a different team but I guess it remains to be seen how this plays out now. My concern is that as people drop out of the PvE mode it will become less important to them as this mode will likely have a bigger playerbase, despite having two teams. It just makes sense as a company to put focus into whichever side performs best.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if a year from now we have actual map variety ext but as it is now 2 of the 4 areas are copy paste missions since they ran out of ideas or time and the map changes are only evident at storm shield defends with the same tileset being used across all other missions. In my mind that should have been priority for whoever works in the second team as we're the ones paying.

Something about using the EA model to fund a completely unrelated game mode doesn't sit right with me.

I'm still sketched out about it myself. And I'm more or less on the same side as you. They did just lay out the next two months give or take and have promised to be more transparent in the future. Check out the pinned post on the reddit.

Highlights include the ability to buy what you want, and a new biome with the Halloween update.

You've been negative on this for a while though so it may not matter at this point.

Yeah I've not see that post. Should definitely give it a read. To be honest I was still rather happy with the game until survival breaking 4 hours into a mission multiple times. I still enjoy the core loop, but I've definitely been disappointed too as the only improvements I've really enjoyed were mission modifiers and the storm tickets fixing the f2p balance a bit.

I'll likely check in down the line, but yeah having a broken survival followed by unannounced PvP definitely made me take a break from it. I may even jump in during the next updates if the patch notes look ultra promising.

arimanius

So here's how my chat with Sony support ended "In this case, believe me that we understand you need a refund; but unfortunately, a refund for this content cannot be processed due to just apply to who purchased to PC . We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause."

I sent them multiple links and got told no refund that those links aren't official. It's amazing how I've never been able to get a refund from Sony, MS, or Nintendo.

So here's how my chat with Sony support ended "In this case, believe me that we understand you need a refund; but unfortunately, a refund for this content cannot be processed due to just apply to who purchased to PC . We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause."

So it would have to have been bought for PC to get a refund instead? That sucks if that the case.

arimanius

So it would have to have been bought for PC to get a refund instead? That sucks if that the case.

Yes that's what they said. They first told me that Fortnite is free on the PS4 and I had to explain that. Then they told me the refund was for PC purchases only. When I said that wasn't the case they asked for an official link. I sent them the FAQ link and in that link it says PC so they said see it's for PC only. I sent them other links, reddit links, and they stated that they weren't official links.

So I filled out official refund form on Epic site like nicholasbrutal suggested. Hoping to hear back from them soon with better news.

A free Battle Royale game on console is such a nice proposition but Fortnite itself is so... eh. The concept will definitely draw people in but once they see the UI, HUD, visual design and experience the combat, I think this will die out fast.

A free Battle Royale game on console is such a nice proposition but Fortnite itself is so... eh. The concept will definitely draw people in but once they see the UI, HUD, visual design and experience the combat, I think this will die out fast.

I think it will only die out when PUBG releases.

Elandyll

Banned
I don't know if this will be a success at all, but this announcement had me check the game out and somehow I had written it off as yet another Hero shooter/ Moba that's online Pvp only.

Now that I know it has a coming pve campaign, and can be played 4 player coop vs Computer, and looks like a mix of Overwatch meets Left for Dead meets Plant vs Zombies, I am now more than interested to eventually play with my kids and wife.

Not sure how we'd organize yet between 2 PS4s and 2 PCs, but we'll see.

arimanius

I enjoy it and find it's a nice change of pace to PUBG. Also they seem to be tweaking things quickly. Here's the changes they made today.

Increased sniper rifle projectile speed by 25%.
Increased weapon accuracy.
This is roughly a 50% increase in accuracy in the ‘worst-case’ scenario.
Accuracy in best-case scenario (while crouched, aimed, and immobile) is unchanged.
Increased accuracy while running.
Increased accuracy while shooting full-auto.
Increased accuracy while hip firing.
Reduced falling damage.
Falling damage now begins just above 3 stories, dealing 10 damage. Damage will continue to increase until becoming lethal at 6 stories.
Fixed an issue with the safe zone ring locations.
This will on average reduce the amount of long-distance running per match.

Ploid 3.0

It's like Paladins to Overwatch. One is pay to play, and the other is free. Both are doing great. Paladins being free let it get it's own space in the market, it's also very good and quite unique. The building and breaking structures adds a of variety, like Paladin's cards, no hero swapping during game but adapting to the opponent's behavior during game, and support being awesome.

Hilarious that the devs have decided to go this direction in light of PUBG being so damn successful.

I understand it's a different team, but I can see this having significantly more long-term appeal than the main game. The concept behind the main game is so incredibly shitty.

What have they done to monetize the battle royale mode? Does it still have pinatas?

Nothing currently. They obviously see building the player base as most important right now - a smart move. I imagine they'll add character customization and then loot boxes / pinatas this year. They've said it'll be purely cosmetic items.
Would've been nice if they'd treated the main game this way.

Lucifon

What have they done to monetize the battle royale mode? Does it still have pinatas?

Nothing currently. They obviously see building the player base as most important right now - a smart move. I imagine they'll add character customization and then loot boxes / pinatas this year. They've said it'll be purely cosmetic items.

Ploid 3.0

Ah okay but, H1Z1 had separate teams too and we all know what happened.

Ouch (I'm guessing it was very bad for the PVE side). I remember seeing live streams of Sony Online Entertainment (don't know what the new name of SOE is now that they've been sold. The H1Z1 people), they seemed stable and not spread thin. Here's hoping the PVE side don't suffer, they have more ways to make money on that side though, who knows. How big/stable/healthy are Epic's gaming teams?

I'm actually surprised they are still making games, though they seem to use the games to display their engine tech a lot so they could be worth continuing. UE4 5 6 7 haven't made them go Valve on us yet.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm one of the people that bought this game last week, wanting to exclusively play Battle Royale. Epic customer support was super helpful. They've notified Sony that my refund should be granted, so I'll get a hold of them tomorrow and see how that goes.

arimanius

I'm one of the people that bought this game last week, wanting to exclusively play Battle Royale. Epic customer support was super helpful. They've notified Sony that my refund should be granted, so I'll get a hold of them tomorrow and see how that goes.

How did you get a hold of epic customer service? Fill out the refund form, email, or call? I used the refund form and haven't heard back yet.

jet1911

Watching Grimmmz on Twitch right now and he jusy got killed by someone using an aimbot. He's just watching him wreck the whole server lol.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda feel bad for the game designers who probably put a lot of effort and creativity into creating the original game modes, now being forever jailed into copying pubg, cause that'll be what keeps this ship afloat:D

Tell me it isn't so, devs!

GodofWine

I kinda feel bad for the game designers who probably put a lot of effort and creativity into creating the original game modes, now being forever jailed into copying pubg, cause that'll be what keeps this ship afloat:D

Tell me it isn't so, devs!

I feel bad for teams that get laid off and have to scatter the GLOBE to find employment. If this fotifies the games user base and revenue and keeps the team a team...then there are many game devs who deserve your sympathy more.

*Splinter

Wow, offering this super popular mode for free is a really clever way to get people interested in the base game. I wonder if we'll see more games release this way. (I realise the full game is going F2P eventually, but still.)

I know nothing about Fortnite but want to try battle royale (on PS4), so I'm in for this.

(Also that's a really generous refund offer)

Xeilyn

So i got access to this on PS4 for free, most likely because i played in the Paragon closed alpha on PS4. I can see options for mouse and kb in the menu, does that mean that i can run into people using m+kb on PS4? I wont touch this game if thats the case

Snoopycat

Banned
I bought this for the PS4. My first BR match today I got killed by 2 guys working as a team. I didn't even notice until I saw them going through my loot. Luckily I was recording at the time. Sent it to the devs.

I bought this for the PS4. My first BR match today I got killed by 2 guys working as a team. I didn't even notice until I saw them going through my loot. Luckily I was recording at the time. Sent it to the devs.

What? Why? Is it illegal for 2 players to play together? Seems like a viable strategy and inevitable in games like this

Ploid 3.0

So i got access to this on PS4 for free, most likely because i played in the Paragon closed alpha on PS4. I can see options for mouse and kb in the menu, does that mean that i can run into people using m+kb on PS4? I wont touch this game if thats the case

Most likely. Paragon supports Mouse/KB on console too. Also PC and PS4 players can play together.

GHG

It's cross play with the PC so yes, you will run into people playing with kB&M.

It's very well balanced though, I've never felt like I'm at a disadvantage playing on the PS4. Your success in any given round hinges on you being smart about when and what you build along with the loot you manage to find.

Xeilyn

Most likely. Paragon supports Mouse/KB on console too. Also PC and PS4 players can play together.
I know about Paragon crossplay and m+kb controls, i dont mind it in Paragon since it plays very differently but in a pure shooter it just feels unfair to me.
It's cross play with the PC so yes, you will run into people playing with kB&M.

It's very well balanced though, I've never felt like I'm at a disadvantage playing on the PS4. Your success in any given round hinges on you being smart about when and what you build along with the loot you manage to find.
The aim assist is very generous in close quarters but when you are fighting someone far away mb+kb will have the advantage. There are a ton of players that are really good with a controller but an average player with m+kb will always have an easier time than an average player with a controller.

Oh well, im sure the majority wont care.

Thanks for this thread! just got a refund on xbox super fast and easy! Have no interest in the "real" fortnite game,but love the BR game type

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for teams that get laid off and have to scatter the GLOBE to find employment. If this fotifies the games user base and revenue and keeps the team a team...then there are many game devs who deserve your sympathy more.

I mean, of course. Whynotboth.gif, my comment (hopefully) obviously wasn't that serious ;)

forrest

formerly nacire
This looks really fun and polished. I've watched some PUBG but just couldn't really get excited about it based on the production value of it. I'll have to give this a try.

wwm0nkey

Tried it, very meh. Please just focus on PvE, I walked away with the feeling of "why?" Sheet I played it but I am interested in normal Fortnite

Also? Stop talking people away from UE4 before you finish the damned thing!

arimanius

Ah, bummer to hear.

I've played both and love both so your mileage may very. Fortnite is an arcade take on BR so if you go into with that mind set and realize weapons have ranks (white = common, yellow = epic, etc) that affect their accuracy and damage you'll be fine.

One thing Fortnite needs to add asap is the ability to switch shoulders when ADSing.

forrest

formerly nacire
I've played both and love both so your mileage may very. Fortnite is an arcade take on BR so if you go into with that mind set and realize weapons have ranks (white = common, yellow = epic, etc) that affect their accuracy and damage you'll be fine.

One thing Fortnite needs to add asap is the ability to switch shoulders when ADSing.

Good to know and I'll definitely give it a try as it is FREE!

Top Bottom