• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's (Oct 3rd) Famitsu news (Etrian Odyssey 2!)

Mudhoney

EO2 is great news. I recommend it to every gamer I know that might be interested in that kind of game. I bought the last (only?) copy at my local gamestop so hopefully they had to order more.

*crosses fingers for another English localization*

Yggdra Union PSP: Wonder how much will be added... Riviera PSP didn't add that much from what I heard, will this be similar? I have both on GBA... don't have a PSP, but if I did I probably would buy Riviera again, anyway. Yggdra Union... not so sure, the GBA game is good but unless they really add stuff it probably wouldn't be worth it. Meh, we'll see if it even comes out here.

Etrian Odyssey 2: Awesome! Etrian Odyssey is the best game on the DS I've played and it's awesome that a sequel is coming. I hope that this game comes out here... if it does I'd definitely consider it a must-buy. As long as the first one sold decently (considering that it's an Atlus game) I'd bet that chances are good... or at least, I'm hoping so. Etrian Odyssey was just such a great game... :)

Some of the EO2 additions sound nice, particularly the improved options for mapmaking. It definitely needed a few more icons and multiple map colors... stuff like mapping the warps (moving sand, flowers, warps, whatever) is kind of a pain thanks to the note limit and lack of a special 'teleporter/warp' icon, and for damage tiles I just did 'no color on this square' but having a color for that would be great. Interrupt save and more character slots is great too... obviously it'll have a larger save type size this time. :)

ethelred said:
I have no idea how well the game sold in North America, but I'm really pleased and surprised by how large the official thread on the game here at GAF grew and how unanimously positive it was.

I still don't really understand why the game's review scores were so far below the level that it deserved... oh well, it obviously sold anyway, which is good.

Eteric Rice

So... Today we got awesome Smash updates, awesome SMG updates, and now we're being informed of a EO2.

This SHOULD HAVE BEEN E3 WTF. :|

amodf said:
Way of the Samurai 3 :eek:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is one series I have much love for that doesnt seem to get enough of it, it is the Way of the Samurai series, WotS1 was one of my most played games last gen, so many hours spent playing it over and over again.

Sekaiju no Meikyu 2 - The Royal Grail (DS/Atlus/Coming this Winter)

- New classes: Doctor Magnus and Gunner. The Magnus is sounds like a combat mage, which has healing properties as well as offense boosts from studying the body. The Gunner can use various elemental bullets.

- There are now pets that follow and aid you in the adventure.

- Existing jobs will have brain new artwork.

- Battles will be much more visually exciting.

- FOEs will have new rules and new types.

- The director is Komori (the writer of EO1, Devil Summoner PS2 and Princess Crown), and she says they decided to make a sequel when they looked into the template and realized they could improve the balance of the calculations and skills, as well as brushing up the existing formula.

- There are two settings this time: the Sekaiju as well as the flying castle.

- You can create a total of 30 charcters this time.

- They have added a quicksave function for saving in the middle of dungeons. (YAY)

- For map creation, there are now 3 different colors you can use.

- There are also more icons and arrows to use.

- When buying equipment now, the character status is displayed so you can see how effective they are before buying. (YAY!)

I feel like I'm going to be saying this every Famitsu news thread from now on, but...

SOAWESOMECOMETOPAPADSISGREATESTHANDHELDEVERAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWA

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
I feel like I'm going to be saying this every Famitsu news thread from now on, but...

SOAWESOMECOMETOPAPADSISGREATESTHANDHELDEVERAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWAHWA
"Handheld"?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Host : We asked 100 gamers - name something that gives Famitsu credibility?
Bob : What do you think?
Sue : The Bouncer review
Jeff : The handling of Dirge of Ceberus
Gary : The marking down of Dreamcast Rez
Len : Complaints about no Map in Halo...

Host : so Bob... you`ve heard the family, what are you going to go with?

Bob : Well... i`ve got one of my own.....

duckroll

Some more Sekaiju info bits:

- Game is 70% complete, release date will be announced soon.
- The character design, monster design and sound are handled by the same staff as the first game. (KOSHIRO COME TO ME!!!!!!!!!)

:D

jsrv

English Etrian Odyssey release please

Would be nice if that password feature from Etrian Odyssey 1 had some use for the 2nd game too

justchris

Oh, now I'm torn. On the one hand EO2!!!!!
On the other hand, the first game stole 2 months or so of my life. A fun two months, but that's a bit to lose there.

Less interested in Yggdra Union PSP. I got the GBA version, and enjoyed it, but it doesn't look like there'll be enough difference to make getting the PSP version worthwhile. I'll have to see more to make a decision though.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm so buying EO2.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I've been seeing this posted on 2ch a lot lately:
http://www.atlus.co.jp/ir/zaimu/pdf/22kessan.pdf

What does it say on page 11?

It's just a division of how the company sees the various franchises they have.

The top left is problem products which they are considering canning, the top right is high ranking investments for growth, the bottom left are canned products and the bottom right are cashflow products where they are being released for cashflow as opposed to investment/growth.

It's interesting because the "Persona series" is how the highest valued investment franchise for growth, followed by the "Sekaiju series". On the other hand, Trauma Center is considered more of a cashflow series and the Devil Summoner series is even more so.

There are two new RPGs, with one being closer to being a problem (high development costs?) than the other. The real problem products are DS Variety games and a new Wii project. They're consider dropping them.

ethelred

duckroll said:
It's interesting because the "Persona series" is how the highest valued investment franchise for growth, followed by the "Sekaiju series".

Wow, awesome to hear... on both counts. Go Persona and Sekaiju! It's not at all surprising they see so much potential for growth in Persona, but it is surprising to see Sekaiju ranked so high. Not that I'm complaining!

duckroll said:
There are two new RPGs, with one being closer to being a problem (high development costs?) than the other.

That makes it sound like they have some concerns about the PS3 Shin Megami Tensei game.

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
It's just a division of how the company sees the various franchises they have.

The top left is problem products which they are considering canning, the top right is high ranking investments for growth, the bottom left are canned products and the bottom right are cashflow products where they are being released for cashflow as opposed to investment/growth.

It's interesting because the "Persona series" is how the highest valued investment franchise for growth, followed by the "Sekaiju series". On the other hand, Trauma Center is considered more of a cashflow series and the Devil Summoner series is even more so.

There are two new RPGs, with one being closer to being a problem (high development costs?) than the other. The real problem products are DS Variety games and a new Wii project. They're consider dropping them.

Hope they don't drop the Wii product.

It needs more games. :(

sypher said:
Is Etrian Odyssey really that good? I've wasted alot of money of what GAF has told me to buy...........

EO is old-school dungeon crawling at its finest. If that's your fancy, then go for it. If not, don't bother.

Scenester

Etrian Odyssey is one of the sexiest titles you can stick in your DS. Its friggn awesome! Even if the sequel doesnt get translated (It had better) I'll still import it. Hell I'll even buy two copies to support these duders

ethelred

duckroll said:
Here, I made it more comprehensive:

I'm really glad that, unlike Devil Summoner and Trauma Center (two products they can probably profit off of through total rehashing) they see Etrian Odyssey as a series, like Persona, seriously worthy of continued investment.

cress2000

duckroll said:
Some more Sekaiju info bits:

- Game is 70% complete, release date will be announced soon.
- The character design, monster design and sound are handled by the same staff as the first game. (KOSHIRO COME TO ME!!!!!!!!!)

:D

S

E

X!

S

E

X!

I hope Koshiro brings back the FM synth, too. :D

Don't let me down, Atlus USA...

Scenester

I cant believe how pumped up Im getting thinking about EO2. Its sitting on a little pedestal next to No More Heroes

edit: thanks for the scans jj. Looks like that cute bear is going to be one of the pets you'll collect. Awesome!

Yay! Thanks, jj!

I wonder what exactly the password will carry over.

Edit: Holy crap, is that Alraune? She looks amazing!

Edit2: THE OLD CAST IS BACK! WOOHOO!

Edit3: Snowscape? And a new type of FOE? Game just keeps getting better and better.

jsrv

Gunner looks hot. :D

I'm glad the old character designs have been retained. Maybe the password will be used to move some one-of-a-kind items from the old game to some point in the second game?

Localize this Atlus USA!

Scenester

Pureauthor said:
Yay! Thanks, jj!

I wonder what exactly the password will carry over.

Edit: Holy crap, is that Alraune? She looks amazing!

Edit2: THE OLD CAST IS BACK! WOOHOO!

Edit3: Snowscape? And a new type of FOE? Game just keeps getting better and better.

yeah that boss looks, well, BOSS :D

The new art for the classes and the new classes is awesome, hopefully there will be even more new class types when the game comes out

Chromax said:
Yay snow area! (didn't get far enough in EO, so not sure if there's alsoa snow area in there)

Nach.

Forest
Deep Jungle
Underground Sea
Desert
Lost Shinjuku
'Hell' (in more ways than one)

Top Bottom