• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's (Oct 3rd) Famitsu news (Etrian Odyssey 2!)

NichM

Banned
duckroll said:
But Niinou is gone..... ;_;

Well, AFAIK, Etrian was Niinou's first RPG too; he'd mainly been in charge of Trauma Center before that. And though no one here has played it, Trauma Center: New Blood proves it's more than possible for Niinou's legacy to live on after him.

Takuhi

Is there a scan of the reviews, or any details on Operation Darkness? I need to know if it's time to cancel my preorder...

I mean, I know it's Famitsu and all, but those scores are HORRIBLE. How could it have gone so wrong?

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I guess they added gameplay to the Japanese version of Lair.

:lol

NichM said:
Well, AFAIK, Etrian was Niinou's first RPG too; he'd mainly been in charge of Trauma Center before that. And though no one here has played it, Trauma Center: New Blood proves it's more than possible for Niinou's legacy to live on after him.

Hopefully! I'm really looking forward to more EO! :D

NichM said:
Nich, think we've got a good chance of EO2 releasing outside Japan?

NichM said:

and hopefully that will be proven twice with an english release.....

NichM

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nich, think we've got a good chance of EO2 releasing outside Japan?

There's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the minor yet deeply sincere success of the global curiosity that is Etrian Odyssey.

Fady K

Cool, more Etrian Odyssey. Good news about Yggdra Union, missed out on the GBA version :D

However....Lair getting a freakin 33 is whats news here. Is there something about the Japanese edition we dont know??

Nice - a Star Ocean PSP bundle. Good stuff.

duckroll

Takuhi said:
Is there a scan of the reviews, or any details on Operation Darkness? I need to know if it's time to cancel my preorder...

I mean, I know it's Famitsu and all, but those scores are HORRIBLE. How could it have gone so wrong?

- Graphics suck donkey nuts
- Highly strategic, battle tempo is good
- The game is pretty tough, without using the game's cover and ambush systems properly it can be extremely hard to win
- Camera and minimap are kinda dodgy
- The worldview is a good mixture of fantasy and historical settings
- The game systems involved in developing your characters are rather hard to understand
- The game isn't very cinematic and the presentation is a little dull

NichM said:
There's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the meager yet deeply sincere success of the global curiosity that is Etrian Odyssey.
I shall continue to preach the way of Etrian Odyssey to all my brethren then. I'm glad to hear it's doing at least alright.

ethelred

sphinx said:
what the hell???!!!! this winter? really, this winter? the one beginning in Decemeber 22, 2007?

woah, that must have been well into production by the time famitsu learned about its existence.

I imagine they started work on it right after EO wrapped up, seeing as it had the password feature for a planned sequel.

duckroll said:
But Niinou is gone..... ;_;

I'd be worried if they were scrapping everything he worked on to begin from scratch. But they're taking a game that Niinou impecably designed and building on that with some tweaks here and there. I have no doubt Atlus R&D1 is up to that task. I mean, hey, we've known all along that if they made an EO2, it wouldn't have Niinou. It didn't stop me from hoping, and now my wish has come true!

NichM said:
There's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the minor yet deeply sincere success of the global curiosity that is Etrian Odyssey.

I know you guys won't fail us, Nich. :D

Saitou

Banned
duckroll said:
- The game is pretty tough, without using the game's cover and ambush systems properly it can be extremely hard to win
- The game systems involved in developing your characters are rather hard to understand
So basically it's an excellent game?

NichM

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Wonder what this said before the edit :-D

I just changed "meager" to "minor," that's all. (duckroll quoted the original before I thought better of it. And now there was no point to editing it at all!)

duckroll

NichM said:
I just changed "meager" to "minor," that's all. (duckroll quoted the original before I thought better of it. And now there was no point to editing it at all!)

Sorry! But seriously, I think many, many dungeon crawler fans would really appreciate this game in english. I'm getting it in Japanese of course, but I'm sure it sold well enough worldwide right? :D

Acosta

NichM said:

:lol

I bought the first game, give me more please!

Takuhi

duckroll said:

Bless you, duckroll!

What?! I have to use the game's systems to win? I can't just button-mash through? Seriously, I already knew that it was ugly and I WANT it to be hard. The preorder stands!

ethelred

duckroll said:
Sorry! But seriously, I think many, many dungeon crawler fans would really appreciate this game in english. I'm getting it in Japanese of course, but I'm sure it sold well enough worldwide right? :D

I have no idea how well the game sold in North America, but I'm really pleased and surprised by how large the official thread on the game here at GAF grew and how unanimously positive it was.

Troidal

Hrm, not much news this week....

Would love to see a white Star Ocean PSP-2000 with the blue insignia (the one behind the logo) on it.

pilonv1

duckroll said:
Lair - 9/7/8/9

There's been an editorial mistake here - they actually had 8 people review LAIR. The scores should be 4.5/4.5/3.5/3.5/4/4/4.5/4.5.

For Operation Darkness, Famitsu sez:

Another one in the Famitsu too hard basket!

angelfly

EO2 is great news!

I'm glad Yggdra Union is getting some love. I just wish it was getting a new game rather than a port.

duckroll

More EO2 info:

- There are two settings this time: the Sekaiju as well as the flying castle.
- You can create a total of 30 charcters this time.
- They have added a quicksave function for saving in the middle of dungeons. (YAY)
- For map creation, there are now 3 different colors you can use.
- There are also more icons and arrows to use.
- When buying equipment now, the character status is displayed so you can see how effective they are before buying. (YAY!)

Aeana

duckroll said:
More EO2 info:

- They have added a quicksave function for saving in the middle of dungeons. (YAY)
- When buying equipment now, the character status is displayed so you can see how effective they are before buying. (YAY!)

Megaton!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
More EO2 info:

Hell Yeah!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
More EO2 info:
:D :D

Mashing

Damn it... I knew that was a game I forgot to get for DS. Can you still buy EO in the store or online or something?

ethelred

angelfly said:
I'm glad Yggdra Union is getting some love. I just wish it was getting a new game rather than a port.

Same here. I absolutely adored Yggdra, and I'll surely be picking this one up if Atlus localizes... but I'd rather see Sting do a Yggdra Union 2.

duckroll said:
More EO2 info:

- two settings? awesome. should add lots more variety to the dungeoning.
- nice, but I doubt I'll make that many.
- Excellent. This'll be a big help.
- awesome. Anything to enhance the mapping, which was one of the coolest things about EO, is aces.
- see above.
- yay interface improvements! this was one of the few glaring flaws in the first game's interface.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
just noticed ASH is as good as lair, according to famitsu. kiss of death.

Saitou

Banned
duckroll said:
More EO2 info:

GOD YES FACE TITS ETC

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

NomarTyme

duckroll said:
More EO2 info:

Now this is the info I been waiting for! how about more saves?

king zell

XBOX360 "Idol mastering platinum collection" November 1
XBOX360"Magna Carta 2"
【XB360】 Momotaro electric railway 16 Sale schedule reservation on GOLD December 6
【XB360】 Sale schedule reservation on lost Odyssey December 6
【XB360】 Gather. Sale schedule reservation on Pinyarta-Let's * party - December 6
【XB360】 Sale schedule reservation on smash court tennis December 13 the third
【XB360】 kingdom under fire: Sale schedule on Sarclobdum (limited edition first time) December 13.
【XB360】 Sale schedule reservation on the FIFA08 world class soccer December 20

PS3"FIFA 08" December 20
This winter of PS3 "Disgaia 3"
January of PS3 of "Doriftonaits: Jusd 2"
2008 PS3 "Samurai road 3"

Wii "Frifri opera group of Tamagotch" December 6
Wii"FIFA 08" December 20
Wii"Spot powerful professional baseball Wii definitive edition"
Wii"And of magic"
Wii"..bowl.. of magic"
March of Wii of "Decaspolta"
Wii "Winning eleven" spring