• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

e90Mark

Got a Dell S2716DG arriving today. Is it best to install the tft central profile right away or just try and calibrate myself ? I'm excited to try the higher resolution in games but worried my 780ti will limit me to much older titles only.

I just went the TFT central route right away. There's been some other configs posted here from overclock.net, as well but I think I liked the TFT one the most.

Anyone have any idea how close we are to new models being announced? 4k/144hz would be wonderful. HDR would be even better. It's been over a year since Asus and Acer announced their most recent displays.

Is there even a GPU that could do 4K/144Hz?

Not today. But when 1440p 144hz displays came out, there were no GPU's that could power them either. It can't hurt to be future proof.

It'd be appealing to be able to pick up a 4k/144hz display during tax returns 2017, and then upgrade my 980 Ti to an 1180 Ti in 2018.

riflen

Anyone have any idea how close we are to new models being announced? 4k/144hz would be wonderful. HDR would be even better. It's been over a year since Asus and Acer announced their most recent displays.

Every couple of weeks someone asks this here.

At the moment I think there are one or two displays with DisplayPort version 1.3, which is enough bandwidth for 3840x2160 @ 120 Hz. The crazy 5K 120 Hz OLED from DELL which costs $5000 is one, but I doubt anyone here is in the market for it.

We're supposed to begin to get more displays that can deliver 3840x2160 at > 60 Hz in 2017, but I don't know of any more accurate time-frame than that. Expect them to be expensive af, naturally.

For 3840x2160 144Hz and HDR 10-bit colour you require DisplayPort 1.4. That specification was only completed in March 2016 and actually only supports the same physical bandwidth as 1.3. But 1.4 includes "visually lossless" compression that increases the effective bandwidth so that 3840x2160 @ 144 Hz and HDR 10-bit colour is possible. I doubt we'll see displays able to achieve this until 2018 tbh.

Vuze

There's pretty much no chance of me finding one of those g sync upgrade kits they sold a few years ago, right?
If you do, let me know. I haven't been successful. My brother has a (the?) compatible monitor and would certainly appreciate the upgrade :p

inner-G

Banned
I'm hoping some cheaper 1440/27"/IPS options get announced at CES

I want one but the IPS prices are ridiculous. The Dell 27 looks ok, but TN.

Every couple of weeks someone asks this here.

At the moment I think there are one or two displays with DisplayPort version 1.3, which is enough bandwidth for 3840x2160 @ 120 Hz. The crazy 5K 120 Hz OLED from DELL which costs $5000 is one, but I doubt anyone here is in the market for it.

We're supposed to begin to get more displays that can deliver 3840x2160 at > 60 Hz in 2017, but I don't know of any more accurate time-frame than that. Expect them to be expensive af, naturally.

For 3840x2160 144Hz and HDR 10-bit colour you require DisplayPort 1.4. That specification was only completed in March 2016 and actually only supports the same physical bandwidth as 1.3. But 1.4 includes "visually lossless" compression that increases the effective bandwidth so that 3840x2160 @ 144 Hz and HDR 10-bit colour is possible. I doubt we'll see displays able to achieve this until 2018 tbh.

Thanks for the information. It's hard to sift through this gigantic thread for information on stuff like this.

I don't even necessarily need 144hz. 100hz would be fine. HDR would be a plus as well but not needed.

I would think a 4k/100hz non HDR G-Sync display would be reasonable to expect to see in 2017. Hopefully for ~$1000. I would hope so anyway.

Joe White

its, not just an upgrade, its a way of life

I'm starting to believe that after some beautiful moments between FH3, BF1 and Abzü:
7F6AC0D29A1BD1CD017496E28E7C0AB08D8386F9

Happy owner of new Acer Predator X34A.

Vitor711

Anyone mind helping me with settings to fix the frame pacing of Dishonored 2 on a G-Sync monitor? Not having much luck myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

so I've been reading about common issues about peoples displayports striaght up not working. As someone with 3 monitors or sometimes more, that fucking sucks.

Anyone here have the no signal issue? I tried buying a display port to hdmi adapter for my HDTV, but it doesn't give me a signal

My friend bought the monitor in the link and when we uses the display port, he doesn't get a signal, but DVI and hdmi works fine. It's honestly made me really hesistant to buy a gsync monitor now. What a random ass issue.

edit: I'v read up on the power on and off and wait for a few minutes fix, and it doesnt seem to work for my friend. Are displayports in general fucked? I've seen so many threads about people complaining about display ports

Vuze

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

so I've been reading about common issues about peoples displayports striaght up not working. As someone with 3 monitors or sometimes more, that fucking sucks.

Anyone here have the no signal issue? I tried buying a display port to hdmi adapter for my HDTV, but it doesn't give me a signal

My friend bought the monitor in the link and when we uses the display port, he doesn't get a signal, but DVI and hdmi works fine. It's honestly made me really hesistant to buy a gsync monitor now. What a random ass issue.

edit: I'v read up on the power on and off and wait for a few minutes fix, and it doesnt seem to work for my friend. Are displayports in general fucked? I've seen so many threads about people complaining about display ports
Can only speak for myself but I'm running (two) display port monitors for 18 months now and haven't had a single issue between three graphics cards and Win7/Win8/Win10. Perhaps it's some power setting in Windows that fucks it up, I'm carefully adjusting these when doing an initial setup.

has this thread generally been complaint free when it comes to displayports? when i google displayport no signal literally hundreds of results pop up

I'm hoping some cheaper 1440/27"/IPS options get announced at CES

I want one but the IPS prices are ridiculous. The Dell 27 looks ok, but TN.

Lemme tell you the 8 bit tns I've seen used in the things are nuts. From someone who swears by ips I don't miss a thing

If you're playing on a tv the benefits are probably lost on you anyways. Sorry, but gaming on a tv is total garbage after playing on any high quality, 1ms monitor.

I game on a TV because I have extras because my in-laws moved and gave us theirs.

And my ASUS died after 2 years. IDK if I can ever go back to playing on less than 32"

The trade-off is that I find myself enabling vsync and I never had to do that before.

Plum

So has anyone here used the 60hz G-Sync panels that can be found on some laptops? Getting an MSI GT62VR 6RD after Christmas and I want to know whether it's as big of a difference at that lower refresh rate than it is on my 144hz G-sync monitor.

23qwerty

So has anyone here used the 60hz G-Sync panels that can be found on some laptops? Getting an MSI GT62VR 6RD after Christmas and I want to know whether it's as big of a difference at that lower refresh rate than it is on my 144hz G-sync monitor.
Gsync is pretty awesome at 60fps as well, makes the dips below 60 unnoticeable.

Plum

Gsync is pretty awesome at 60fps as well, makes the dips below 60 unnoticeable.

That's great news, was expecting its effect to be dulled somewhat as I've heard that below 60fps it's not as noticeable (though that may just be because it's dropping from 144hz). Will do good for the longevity of the laptop considering it's meant to be a desktop replacement for at least 2 and a half years.

PFD

That's great news, was expecting its effect to be dulled somewhat as I've heard that below 60fps it's not as noticeable (though that may just be because it's dropping from 144hz). Will do good for the longevity of the laptop considering it's meant to be a desktop replacement for at least 2 and a half years.

40-60 FPS you'll see the biggest improvement from G-Sync

Danneee

Is G-sync worth it on a gaming laptop with a GTX1060?
I'm looking at buying a gaming laptop and the g-sync upgrade will set me back around $300 extra (Asus laptop.

e90Mark

Is G-sync worth it on a gaming laptop with a GTX1060?
I'm looking at buying a gaming laptop and the g-sync upgrade will set me back around $300 extra (Asus laptop.

How long do you keep laptops? G-Sync could potentially save you from having to upgrade sooner.

AtlAntA

You guys want to know the biggest downside of gsync? There literally is no way you would ever want to go back to a non gsync screen.

I have gotten way more sensitive to fluctuating framerates. This even got so bad i haven't touched my ps4 for gaming in months.

riflen

I dont know why people are so tempted by IPS. The "glow" at the corners of the screen just kills the tecnology for me!!!

Whether you even notice this largely depends on your viewing environment. All LCD tech has some nasty compromises in my opinion.

Seems like QLED is most likely the best tech on the horizon to replace LCD and not regress in any major way (except cost, temporarily).

For the monitor experts here, any suggestions on what 2nd monitor to get alongside an Acer X34? I kinda want to try the dual monitor setup (my wife swears by it) so I'm starting to look at options.

I think a second X34 would be kind of overkill, so I'm thinking a 27 inch maybe with the same height resolution. Does anyone have a setup like this? Will it look weird with 2 different size monitors? And if the 2nd monitor isn't G-Sync capable will that affect my X34 in any way? I'm currently running a single GTX1080 if that matters. Thanks!

Vuze

For the monitor experts here, any suggestions on what 2nd monitor to get alongside an Acer X34? I kinda want to try the dual monitor setup (my wife swears by it) so I'm starting to look at options.

I think a second X34 would be kind of overkill, so I'm thinking a 27 inch maybe with the same height resolution. Does anyone have a setup like this? Will it look weird with 2 different size monitors? And if the 2nd monitor isn't G-Sync capable will that affect my X34 in any way? I'm currently running a single GTX1080 if that matters. Thanks!
A second monitor to an ultra wide may indeed look a bit awkward. I personally use a 22" IPS in portrait mode alongside my 27" Gsync. It looks and works just fine. So there's atleast that.

Maybe you can spot a multi-monitor ultra wide setup on the battlestations subreddit to gain some ideas. Most people seem to move from dual monitor to ultra wide though :p

A second monitor to an ultra wide may indeed look a bit awkward. I personally use a 22" IPS in portrait mode alongside my 27" Gsync. It looks and works just fine. So there's atleast that.

Maybe you can spot a multi-monitor ultra wide setup on the battlestations subreddit to gain some ideas. Most people seem to move from dual monitor to ultra wide though :p

Yea not sure what to do haha... I like the idea of having a second monitor to browse stuff while I'm playing games on the X34... right now I have to keep alt tabbing in and out which feels a little inconvenient.

e90Mark

I have a 27 and 24 next to each other and don't mind it, other than trying to drag windows sometimes. I have the 27 directly in the middle and the 24 off to the side. Thought about doing them split down the middle, but I don't think it would work with the mismatched sizes? Too lazy to try if I don't like it, to have to put everything back the way it was.

Dual monitor setup is practically a standard, but honestly not sure how it would work with such a wide monitor. Maybe if it was stacked on top? Lol.

I was using dual monitors for most of my life until I got an x34

It's big enough that I can have 2 full sized windows size by side, or play games in a window with a browser open.

d00d3n

Has the issue with game-specific settings for gsync/ULMB in the NVIDIA control panel been resolved yet? Either officially or through some unofficial fix? I stopped using ULMB a while ago, because the game specific activation through NVIDIA control panel was so unreliable, so checking in to see if the situation has been improved.

Specs: Acer Z35 display, Titan X Pascal

I wasn't a believer, but I just recently purchased a new MSI laptop with "GSYNC", and I am an instant convert. I now regret my previous recent purchase of a 4k monitor without GSYNC. Hopefully someone will eventually make a hack to appropriate Nvidia's laptop technique to work with Freesync monitors.

You guys want to know the biggest downside of gsync? There literally is no way you would ever want to go back to a non gsync screen.

I have gotten way more sensitive to fluctuating framerates. This even got so bad i haven't touched my ps4 for gaming in months.

Every now and then I turn off G-sync just to see how it looks and every time I am surprised at the difference in smoothness. Even in games where I get a locked 120fps the lack of G-sync is apparent. Hopefully variable refresh finds it's way into more monitors and maybe even TVs in the future. I would love for it to be a standard thing in all screens.

Should the V-Sync option in the NVCP be switched to On or Fast Sync? Always have to redo my settings whenever I update drivers so I forget sometimes.

matmanx1

Finally got my new desk put together and my monitor installed on it last night. It's taken weeks of searching (for the right desk) but now that it's all together I am totally in love with G-Sync.

I didn't want to spend a ton of money since I will just be using it for gaming but I bought an Asus PG248Q refurbished unit from Newegg over Black Friday for $349. I added a $28 1 year warranty so I'm good to go for less than $400.

The PG248Q calibrates very nicely, has a top tier OSD and overclocks to 180Hz. I am seriously impressed.

Trickster

I dont know why people are so tempted by IPS. The "glow" at the corners of the screen just kills the tecnology for me!!!

IPS has colours that completely destroy anything TN panels are capable of. My secondary monitor is a TN panel, and compared to my main IPS panel it's looks complete shit.

The ips glow is really only noticable if you're either actively looking for it, or you're playing through a dark area and have time to look around.

Obivously it's a matter of what is most important for you, great colours or a bit of ips glow when the screen is dark. But I will never use a TN panel as a main monitor again.

IPS has colours that completely destroy anything TN panels are capable of. My secondary monitor is a TN panel, and compared to my main IPS panel it's looks complete shit.

The ips glow is really only noticable if you're either actively looking for it, or you're playing through a dark area and have time to look around.

Obivously it's a matter of what is most important for you, great colours or a bit of ips glow when the screen is dark. But I will never use a TN panel as a main monitor again.

Maybe if you are comparing to crappy low budget TNs to IPS- 8 bit TN panels in high end g-sync displays are very similar to IPS (you basically trade IPS corner glow for off angle color shift with TNs).

IPS's poor contrast and glow is its major flaw. After using VA panel with almost 5000:1 contrast ratio and amazing black levels for gaming and movies for years, I can't look at IPS any more, it's just not suitable for that. IPS is great for graphical color critical work, there's not denying that, but when I had IPS monitor I dreaded every time I had to play a dark level in a game.

Gojeran

Should the V-Sync option in the NVCP be switched to On or Fast Sync? Always have to redo my settings whenever I update drivers so I forget sometimes.

I have fast sync set in my global setup along with enable g sync. In game v sync should be set to off. Fast sync will only happen in this case if your frame rate exceeds 144hz.

daninthemix

IPS's poor contrast and glow is its major flaw. After using VA panel with almost 5000:1 contrast ratio and amazing black levels for gaming and movies for years, I can't look at IPS any more, it's just not suitable for that. IPS is great for graphical color critical work, there's not denying that, but when I had IPS monitor I dreaded every time I had to play a dark level in a game.

Yep, VA obliterates IPS. It's all very well saying "IPS has great colour"...but what about black? Black's a colour, isn't it? And a pretty important one at that.

Anyway, roll on OLED.

Top Bottom