• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

So I have been a bit out of the loop.

Is that ROG monitor the best ultra widescreen this year? We still stuck at 100Hz max refresh rates? I assume the panel is more or less the same as last year's gsync ultra widescreens (with the same bright spot issues)?

Vuze

So I have been a bit out of the loop.

Is that ROG monitor the best ultra widescreen this year? We still stuck at 100Hz max refresh rates? I assume the panel is more or less the same as last year's gsync ultra widescreens (with the same bright spot issues)?
Yeah, next year should bring >100hz WHQD displays. I assume we will get some product announcements at CES.

Triteon

I'm interested in buying a G-sync monitor this week.

I'd prefer a smallish (21-24 inch) 1440p, but I'd take a 1080p, I don't want a 4k. I've been doing some searches but a lot of the info is from 2015 and I just don't know if there have been any other releases.

ATM I'm thinking XB241YU but Id like to get other recommendations

Goddamn it, cant find it in Australia

Momentary

Banned
I wonder when LG's new 38" IPS panel will be utilized for by Acer or ASUS w/ GSYNC. 3840x1600. That's what I'm holding out for.

Also I've been having issues where my display defaults back to 60hz instead of 144hz after I boot up my computer. I finally figured out that you have to mess with the change resolution menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel to lock you hz to certain resolutions. It's crazy how sensitive I've gotten. The moment I move my mouse across my screen and it's 60hz it feels so jittery and unresponsive. I'm sure that if I just used it for an hour or so at that frame rate I would eventually get used it...

XBP

I'd prefer a smallish (21-24 inch) 1440p, but I'd take a 1080p, I don't want a 4k. I've been doing some searches but a lot of the info is from 2015 and I just don't know if there have been any other releases.

Try looking for a Dell S2417DG. I have it and its a pretty awesome monitor. Its a TN panel though. If you're ok with sligthly worse colors than IPS plus some color banding then it'll be perfect for you.

Animator

Got a 165hz 27" asus monitor with gsync and I holy shit I was missing out big time. Never going back to 60hz. It is the best gaming related computer upgrade I have done since SSD's.

Raw64life

Pretty much exactly what I came here to post. Except I'm going to wait until Black Friday time. When G-sync first came out I said "call me when I can get one for under $300." I doubt that even during the holidays we'll see them go that low, but I'm hoping to get one for pretty close to $300. I'm also looking for something small (24" or lower) and 1440p. As long as it has that, I'm good.

Have any g-sync Black Friday deals been revealed yet?

Forgot about this thread!

Question for Gsync owners.

Occasionally while playing a game I've noticed it not be super smooth. Usually a restart of the game fixes this. Most recently it happened to star craft last night. What gives?

lionpants

Forgot about this thread!

Question for Gsync owners.

Occasionally while playing a game I've noticed it not be super smooth. Usually a restart of the game fixes this. Most recently it happened to star craft last night. What gives?
I've seen this happen before too. Sometimes a game reboot fixes it, sometimes a quick alt tab and back in fixes it. No clue why.

Just got gsync and I still clearly see/feel the stutter and can tell when it's below 60fps? What am I doing wrong here?

any game engine hitches are still going to show up, but GSync is meant to show every frame above 14 fps consistently

check if VSync is off and make sure to set Monitor Technology to 'GSync' and Power Management Mode to 'prefer maximum performance' in the control panel

and I can only get GSync to work in exclusive fullscreen right now, I've tried ticking windowed mode but it never fucking works fix your shit NVidia

Mikeside

So I got a great deal on the Dell S2717DG through work, but I'm getting a fair bit of what I assume is ghosting on it.

When I scroll text up and down, I see a trail of it, same with other movement on the screen, though it seems less noticeable in games

Is there anything I can do about this?

Any ideas on how low $$$ gsync monitors may go on black Friday?

boule-de-cristal-789x576.jpg

DeputyVanHalen

Neo Member
OK, so after a bit of effort getting it to work with display port and more trying to figure out how to get it to go past 60 Hz, I'm finally up and running. After a couple hours playing Witcher 3, I don't know that I can go back to not having this. It really is an amazing upgrade.

Mikeside

So I got a great deal on the Dell S2717DG through work, but I'm getting a fair bit of what I assume is ghosting on it.

When I scroll text up and down, I see a trail of it, same with other movement on the screen, though it seems less noticeable in games

Is there anything I can do about this?

Anybody got any ideas? I'm bashing my head against the wall atm

riflen

Make sure that Response Time is set to Normal in the monitor's Display settings. The TFTCentral review remarked that the fast setting produces quite a lot of overshoot. The best results were achieved with the display set to 144 Hz.

Mikeside

You should try to adjust your setting, try to maybe lower the contrast. I've got this monitor and I had a ton of ghosting with the default settings.

I'll post mine as soon as I get home from work.

Make sure that Response Time is set to Normal in the monitor's Display settings. The TFTCentral review remarked that the fast setting produces quite a lot of overshoot. The best results were achieved with the display set to 144 Hz.

and with that it seems to be solid!
thanks guys

ok, i bought this, cause amazon warehouse deals has it for $307

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C05C1OK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

any thoughts?

The biggest downside with G-Sync imo is when a game's framerate is low, the mouse cursor is also (naturally) moving at the same, low frequency. With a fixed refresh rate, this is not an issue.

Minor thing for some people perhaps, but this shit is VITAL. The cursor should be perfect at all times.

Try playing a strategy game or Diablo/Grim Dawn with low FPS G-sync, it's not enjoyable.

Oh wow that never occurred to me.... Excellent point. I don't think I'll notice that with my setup... I hope...

PFD

The biggest downside with G-Sync imo is when a game's framerate is low, the mouse cursor is also (naturally) moving at the same, low frequency. With a fixed refresh rate, this is not an issue.

Minor thing for some people perhaps, but this shit is VITAL. The cursor should be perfect at all times.

Try playing a strategy game or Diablo/Grim Dawn with low FPS G-sync, it's not enjoyable.

To be fair if you are playing a game with simplistic graphics like Diablo/Grim Dawn with low FPS then you have bigger issues

Triteon

I am having serious issues tracking down a decent g-sync locally.

After I made my last post I did some online searching, and I found a few I liked but shipping was expensive and I like buying larger electronics locally because I can just take it back if it doesn't work.

Because of high costs (the cheapest I'm looking at is 650 AUD for a 1080p) I'm also tempted to just buy the best 4k version I can so I can use it for a few GPU upgrades, my GTX 1080 may have trouble pushing 4k at 60 right now but the 1180 (or whatever) probably wont and i'd be future proofed in that respect.

I dunno though. If you had asked me two years ago if id be this picky about a monitor i'd have laughed in your face but now it seems super important.

ATM I'm considering just saying fuck it and buying a Acer Predator XB321HK 32" ($1270 AUD) but its almost double my cheapest option. Anyone have this model or know if it sucks in anyway

I am having serious issues tracking down a decent g-sync locally.

After I made my last post I did some online searching, and I found a few I liked but shipping was expensive and I like buying larger electronics locally because I can just take it back if it doesn't work.

Because of high costs (the cheapest I'm looking at is 650 AUD for a 1080p) I'm also tempted to just buy the best 4k version I can so I can use it for a few GPU upgrades, my GTX 1080 may have trouble pushing 4k at 60 right now but the 1180 (or whatever) probably wont and i'd be future proofed in that respect.

I dunno though. If you had asked me two years ago if id be this picky about a monitor i'd have laughed in your face but now it seems super important.

ATM I'm considering just saying fuck it and buying a Acer Predator XB321HK 32" ($1270 AUD) but its almost double my cheapest option. Anyone have this model or know if it sucks in anyway

I tried out that 4K gsync but decided that it wasn't better than my x34

Triteon

I tried out that 4K gsync but decided that it wasn't better than my x34

Yea it looks too expensive for what it offers and Its only 60Hz. Its like I just cant find the right performance to price ratio. I'm willing to spend money but if I'm spending money I want to get the features important to me.

4k but 60 Hz, mad refresh rate but 1080p, curved screens, or woo big, or when I do find something "oh itll be an addition $100 for shipping" and its from OS so good luck trying to return it.

The only one in my local area that I'm really considering now is ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27" and that seems expensive for 1440p to me ($1100 AUD) but at least the refresh is high.

Well I know on my ultrawide I have an option called Response Time under Game Adjust on my monitor menu. If I set it to high, it has the least amount of input lag but I get a weird ghosting effect. Turning it down to medium completely gets rid of the effect. See if you have anything like that.

I just got a 34" ultrawide 75hz freesync IPS monitor and I am in love! Even the extra 15hz/15fps was absolutely worth it and I will never go back to a TN panel. Freesync is legit and I agree with whoever said it was like the upgrade to SSD.

Although, I hate that AMD does not support VSR for ultrawide resolution right now. I had to use CRU to downsample. 3440x1440 only works @ 60hz so I settled for 3200x1350 @75hz for now. It makes a big enough difference that its worth it. Hopefully AMD will add support soon.

Pachinko

I got a super good deal on the XB321HK (paid only 1200 Canadian for it through amazon warehouse deals and can't find a single thing wrong with it) , this is a 32 inch 4K monitor with Gsync.

So far the feature has been neat but it's also caused some issues related to my chosen graphics solution - that is - 1070X2 SLI. This is more than enough to drive pretty much anything at 4K/60fps but I'm finding when I leave gsync on I get all sorts of anomalous issues , namely about half the games I play will essentially disable the second card while gsync is active. I'm assuming this is an Nvidia driver issue.

I can admit though, playing a game at 40 fps looks a helluva lot smoother with gsync enabled than I recall it looking on past monitors , where you'd get constant screen tears and visible frame rate fluctuations.

I keep hearing horror stories about the newer nvidia drivers breaking various things so I haven't updated in a couple months but does anyone else have similar issues ?

---

"ATM I'm considering just saying fuck it and buying a Acer Predator XB321HK 32" ($1270 AUD) but its almost double my cheapest option. Anyone have this model or know if it sucks in anyway "
I'm quite pleased with mine to be honest , I'm not that interested in gaming beyond 60hz and I like the 16:9 form factor more than the ultra wide , if you're worried because of this issue I have , well it seems it's a general Gsync / SLI problem more than a monitor issue and it only effects some games. If you aren't doing SLI , it works fine. Even outside of that, disabling gsync and turning vsync on in game solves the problem anyway.

Triteon

I'm quite pleased with mine to be honest , I'm not that interested in gaming beyond 60hz and I like the 16:9 form factor more than the ultra wide , if you're worried because of this issue I have , well it seems it's a general Gsync / SLI problem more than a monitor issue and it only effects some games. If you aren't doing SLI , it works fine. Even outside of that, disabling gsync and turning vsync on in game solves the problem anyway.

Ended up going with ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27". I'm in the middle of setting it up now.

I have to say I'm actually glad I went with a 27" because I'm not sure anything bigger would have worked with my desk. I guess my old monitor was a 21 not a 24 like I thought.

theRizzle

I bought a refurb PG279Q from Newegg.ca for $769 yesterday. I normally wouldn't even consider a refurbished monitor but all of the reviews for the refurbs basically say they appear brand new except the cords weren't bagged. I have three months to return it if there's something wrong anyways, so I'm not overly concerned.

I've had a 120hz monitor for a while but this is my first G-Sync monitor and I can't wait to get it going.

Triteon

OK so I think I've got it running. Seems to be making a pretty big difference, I booted up GTA V set most (if not everything) to max settings at 1440p and while my framerate was dipping by 10-20 (70's to 50's) frames the picture was still smooth. Which wasn't the case before. Not 100% happy with contrast and colours but I can play with them.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

SaberEdge

I have one of the best plasmas ever made and it looks awesome, but I still play on my G-Sync monitor more often. It really does make that big of a difference. Low input lag, high refresh rates (up to 144Hz), no stutter and zero screen-tearing. It's the ideal combination of those essential attributes. I agree with others when they say that it is the best PC gaming upgrade they've ever done.

I hope there will be a nice 21:9 G-Sync monitor with HDR by next year. That will be the next level for me.

Toaster05

Got my Asus PG279Q yesterday and initally I was very happy. The design is much more refined than the Acer Predator that I had previously. The osd is light years ahead of Acers terrible offering.

However, then the evening crept in and Mr Backlight Bleed paid me a visit. It's pretty terrible. I play a lot of Elite Dangerous and for my money (£700) Asus's quality control ain't worth a dime. They said they'd been inspecting all panel's prior to shipping. Well all I can say is the person that inspected mine really needs the services of a good optician.

Left me wondering if ips is worth it?

Pachinko

Ended up going with ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27". I'm in the middle of setting it up now.

I have to say I'm actually glad I went with a 27" because I'm not sure anything bigger would have worked with my desk. I guess my old monitor was a 21 not a 24 like I thought.

yeah ... actually it IS pretty big , I had to put the monitor into "old man mode" with a giant curser and 150% font size.

My other issue - it fits on my desk but I'm thinking of removing a portion of the top to slide it further back just so I'm not 15 inches away from this giant screen at all times. Games look so nice running at 4K though.

Crumpet

Neo Member
Got a Dell S2716DG arriving today. Is it best to install the tft central profile right away or just try and calibrate myself ? I'm excited to try the higher resolution in games but worried my 780ti will limit me to much older titles only.

Top Bottom