• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

epmode

Guys, I have the Acer Predator XB271HU and I think that GSync stopped working since I installed my new 1080.

I see tearing in Battlefield and Titanfall. The screen light is always blue and I've set GSync to on, both in the control panel (Set up Gsync and Managed 3D settings under monitor tech).

I always turn off VSync in game options as well as I thought you were supposed to. Is something up? Should I do a clean GPU driver reinstall? Any way to test if it's working? I have the Pendulum demo but cannot tell if that's just advertising it or actually testing.

I used the 'GSync display' overlay in the CP but it was driving me mad as there's no toggle to turn it off.

Try disabling G-Sync entirely in the Nvidia Control Panel, apply the changes, switch it back on (make sure you choose to make it available in windowed mode), apply. Maksure that Manage 3D Settings > Monitor Technology is set to G-SYNC instead of ULMB or Fixed Refresh.

Vitor711

Try disabling G-Sync entirely in the Nvidia Control Panel, apply the changes, switch it back on (make sure you choose to make it available in windowed mode), apply. Maksure that Manage 3D Settings > Monitor Technology is set to G-SYNC instead of ULMB or Fixed Refresh.

Done - still notice super minor and subtle tearing in TF2. Had to turn it on within the game to solve it. Same with BF1 menus.

Shouldn't the light on the monitor be changing to show the status of gsync? I turned it on just for full screen but it won't cycle colours. I swear my ROG Swift did that.

epmode

Done - still notice super minor and subtle tearing in TF2. Had to turn it on within the game to solve it. Same with BF1 menus.

Shouldn't the light on the monitor be changing to show the status of gsync? I turned it on just for full screen but it won't cycle colours. I swear my ROG Swift did that.

I have an Acer XB270HU which only shows G-Sync status in the onscreen display so I can't say how yours works.

One thing: If I disable G-Sync entirely, my screen will black out for a half second. It blacks out again if I re-enable it with windowed and fullscreen selected. It's another way to make sure that G-Sync is working. Not sure if it works like that for your model.

Luigi87

Guys, I have the Acer Predator XB271HU and I think that GSync stopped working since I installed my new 1080.

I see tearing in Battlefield and Titanfall. The screen light is always blue and I've set GSync to on, both in the control panel (Set up Gsync and Managed 3D settings under monitor tech).

I always turn off VSync in game options as well as I thought you were supposed to. Is something up? Should I do a clean GPU driver reinstall? Any way to test if it's working? I have the Pendulum demo but cannot tell if that's just advertising it or actually testing.

I used the 'GSync display' overlay in the CP but it was driving me mad as there's no toggle to turn it off.

Do you have V-Sync turned either On (or preferably set to Fast Sync) in the Nvidia Control Panel as well? (V-Sync should only be disabled in the in-game settings).

Vitor711

Do you have V-Sync turned either On (or preferably set to Fast Sync) in the Nvidia Control Panel as well? (V-Sync should only be disabled in the in-game settings).

I will double-check this. Thanks!

EDIT: V-Sync setting was 'use 3D application'. Definitely the cause of my issues, thanks!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

ShOcKwAvE

Yeah, Gsync on, NVCP Vsync on, game vsync off. Refresh rate will cap out at display max and you will have the full Gsync width.

I've also read that NVCP Vsync should be on, since it should come on only if you exceed the monitor refresh rate. What I don't understand here is why fast sync isn't the better option. With my XB271HU and Gsync turned on, I only have three options: Off, On and Fast. From NVCP:

On - Limits the GPU render rate to the maximum refresh rate of your display and avoids tearing. However can have longer latency and lower performance due to render rate limits. Also can stutter if GPU render rate falls below the refresh rate.

Fast - GPU renders unconstrained similar to VSYNC Off, but does not tear since frames in excess of the refresh rate of the monitor are dropped. Delivers latency that is very close to VSYNC Off with no tearing.

renzolama

I'm someone who is still very happy with 1080p @ Ultra settings and recently upgraded to a 4790k / GTX 1060. I'm considering picking up one of the Acer 1080p predator models over the holidays, is that a crazy idea in 2016? I've considered the jump to 1440, but as someone who hasn't spent any time gaming at higher than 1080 I find it very difficult to justify the expense necessary to hit the consistent framerates I want at 1440; I don't know any difference now in terms of resolution, so why spend the extra money to buy something I don't miss? A 1080p gsync monitor @ $400 feels like a reasonable upgrade that fixes my main issue with PC gaming (tearing/sync/input latency). Is the tech moving so fast that I'm throwing money away by further investing in 1080, or will 1440 continue to be an expensive hobbyist market for the forseeable future? My biggest concern is spending another $1000 and ending up with worse performance than I could have currently at 1080.

riflen

I'm someone who is still very happy with 1080p @ Ultra settings and recently upgraded to a 4790k / GTX 1060. I'm considering picking up one of the Acer 1080p predator models over the holidays, is that a crazy idea in 2016? I've considered the jump to 1440, but as someone who hasn't spent any time gaming at higher than 1080 I find it very difficult to justify the expense necessary to hit the consistent framerates I want at 1440; I don't know any difference now in terms of resolution, so why spend the extra money to buy something I don't miss? A 1080p gsync monitor @ $400 feels like a reasonable upgrade that fixes my main issue with PC gaming (tearing/sync/input latency). Is the tech moving so fast that I'm throwing money away by further investing in 1080, or will 1440 continue to be an expensive hobbyist market for the forseeable future? My biggest concern is spending another $1000 and ending up with worse performance than I could have currently at 1080.

My advice is stay with 1920x1080. But it could depend on what you tend to play. If you've just bought a Haswell CPU and a 1060 I don't think that you're the type to spend what's required to get the performance at 2560x1440. I have a 2560x1440 G-Sync display but I often play at lower resolutions because fluidity and temporal resolution is more important to me. ULMB mode is just incredible at 120Hz.

renzolama

My advice is stay with 1920x1080. But it could depend on what you tend to play. If you've just bought a Haswell CPU and a 1060 I don't think that you're the type to spend what's required to get the performance at 2560x1440. I have a 2560x1440 G-Sync display but I often play at lower resolutions because fluidity and temporal resolution is more important to me. ULMB mode is just incredible at 120Hz.

Well, I bought those two because they were incremental and inexpensive upgrades from my previous hardware and I was looking for a cheap stopgap until I decided what to do at the end of the year. My previous setup was a 4460 / 970, and I was able to swap to the 4790k / 1060 for < $100 due to some good deals/trades. I don't mind spending money, I'm just concerned about being able to hold high framerates at higher resolutions which I've heard can still be problematic with some current games. I'm not sure why I wasn't considering the possibility of continuing to run at lower resolutions and bumping the framerates even higher, but that actually sounds like it could be a good purchase justification for me. I'm not that impressed by image quality beyond a certain threshold, but framerate/time is something that I'm quite obsessive about.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Going back to my last post, could you post your monitor/NVCP settings?

lZgEYfy.png

i'm sure this has been axed like 50x already probably more, but whats the cheapest 144hz ips monitor i can get with gsync?

I have a benq 144hz monitor and some shitty 60hz asus ips that im gonna sell to lessen the damage

Kibbles

I have a BenQ XL2411z which doesn't have any fancy sync features but I never notice tearing when I set BF1 to output 144hz. What's the benefit of these?

I have a BenQ XL24011z which doesn't have any fancy sync features but I never notice tearing when I set BF1 to output 144hz. What's the benefit of these?

Don't they get rid of microstutter too when you jump massive frames in certain areas? I'd like to know too, honestly. We pretty much have the same monitor and I never notice tearing with vsync off, just stuttering in games like GTA V.

I notice usually on loading screen that my G-Sync monitor will flicker subtly. This doesnt happen if I turn G-sync off... is there any settings that can be adjusted to mitigate this?

b0bbyJ03

has anyone compared the differences in color between the Asus 144 hz TN panel and the (I think) 165hz IPS? I just got an OLED tv and am having a really hard time going back to my game monitor due to the colors but don't wanna play on the OLED due to input lag. what a stupid problem to have, which convinces me that my theory that ignorance is bliss is 100%right. hahaha.

I've got the PG278Q btw.

dcx4610

This may have been answered but is there a point in owning a Gsync monitor now that there is a Fast sync option? I like uncapped frame rates and with fast sync there isn't any tearing. How would Gsync benefit if any?

Durante

This may have been answered but is there a point in owning a Gsync monitor now that there is a Fast sync option? I like uncapped frame rates and with fast sync there isn't any tearing. How would Gsync benefit if any?
It will eliminate judder caused by a mismatch between the rendered frame rate and the presentation rate of the display.

matmanx1

I'm most likely going to stay with a 1080p version also when I upgrade. I am still doing my homework but framerate is king and considering the price difference I don't think I would miss the extra resolution.

Vuze

Any indication when, or if, we'll get HDR enabled G-Sync monitors?
I think Nvidia claimed HDR monitors are ETA early next year. I guess this will include Gsync; you can expect to pay a nice premium for HDR so I would be surprised if it wasn't included in HDR monitors.

I think Nvidia claimed HDR monitors are ETA early next year. I guess this will include Gsync; you can expect to pay a nice premium for HDR so I would be surprised if it wasn't included in HDR monitors.

Give us a large screen HDR g-sync, please, anyone.

I'd pay stupid money for a 4k hdr gsync projector xD

Ok, so I've had an Acer Predator XB271HU for awhile now, but I've recently gotten really anal about settings as I'm playing more FPSs and I want to make sure I've got this right.

I've got my framerate limited to 140 using Nvidia Inspector, vsync off everywhere. What's the general consensus on vsync, as I have seen some people set it from NCP and others remove it? Also, fullscreen or windowed borderless for the least amount of input lag?

Profanity

Ok, so I've had an Acer Predator XB271HU for awhile now, but I've recently gotten really anal about settings as I'm playing more FPSs and I want to make sure I've got this right.

I've got my framerate limited to 140 using Nvidia Inspector, vsync off everywhere. What's the general consensus on vsync, as I have seen some people set it from NCP and others remove it? Also, fullscreen or windowed borderless for the least amount of input lag?

Since you're capping your framerate you don't particularly need to enable VSync anywhere, as in combination with GSync it usually kicks in after you exceed the refresh rate of the monitor (144/165 Hz for the XB271HU) - since you're capping, this will never happen.

As a general rule, fullscreen causes less input lag. Some games equal fullscreen in borderless, but usually borderless introduces a little delay.

Since you're capping your framerate you don't particularly need to enable VSync anywhere, as in combination with GSync it usually kicks in after you exceed the refresh rate of the monitor (144/165 Hz for the XB271HU) - since you're capping, this will never happen.

As a general rule, fullscreen causes less input lag. Some games equal fullscreen in borderless, but usually borderless introduces a little delay.

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds about in line with what I was thinking.

How does 1080p console gaming looks like in one of those Acer monitors?

AFAIK, you have to have the monitor connected via DisplayPort to even get Gsync to work, which consoles do not have.

I mean, is HDR that much more in terms of price? Isn't HDR basically becoming standard in TVs now?

Waterdrop

I bought a G sync monitor (asus pg279q) I was extremely unimpressed, and brought it back.

G sync is "nice" but it's in no way worth the price it sells for.

epmode

I bought a G sync monitor (asus pg279q) I was extremely unimpressed, and brought it back.

G sync is "nice" but it's in no way worth the price it sells for.

The only downside to G-Sync is price.

..and the fact that it doesn't work with ATI cards.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to deal with minor microstutter/judder, screwing around with with vsync and triple buffering, forcing borderless windows with third party software, etc. G-Sync solves virtually all of that with 0 effort. It's definitely worth it for someone like me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I used to spend a lot of time trying to deal with minor microstutter/judder, screwing around with with vsync and triple buffering, forcing borderless windows with third party software, etc. G-Sync solves virtually all of that with 0 effort. It's definitely worth it for someone like me.

this really makes me want a g sync monitor

i hate stutters

Vuze

I mean, is HDR that much more in terms of price? Isn't HDR basically becoming standard in TVs now?
Standard is a bit far fetched, maybe in a year or two new mid-range TVs <1k $ will be HDR10-compliant.
Frankly, I don't know how much it adds to the manufacturing cost - there definitely are a few hardware requirements that need to be taken into consideration so it's not free or very low cost, I would assume.

The biggest downside with G-Sync imo is when a game's framerate is low, the mouse cursor is also (naturally) moving at the same, low frequency. With a fixed refresh rate, this is not an issue.

Minor thing for some people perhaps, but this shit is VITAL. The cursor should be perfect at all times.

Try playing a strategy game or Diablo/Grim Dawn with low FPS G-sync, it's not enjoyable.

Ocho

The biggest downside with G-Sync imo is when a game's framerate is low, the mouse cursor is also (naturally) moving at the same, low frequency. With a fixed refresh rate, this is not an issue.

Minor thing for some people perhaps, but this shit is VITAL. The cursor should be perfect at all times.

Try playing a strategy game or Diablo/Grim Dawn with low FPS G-sync, it's not enjoyable.

I agree.

Also the bugs. I get the locked @ 24hz bug and I need to go from borderless/fullscreen/borderless to fix.

epmode

I agree.

Also the bugs. I get the locked @ 24hz bug and I need to go from borderless/fullscreen/borderless to fix.

144hz monitor, right? It's weird, I get that every once in a while, but only with newly installed games. Once I correct the problem, it goes away for good.

I think it only happens with Unity stuff as well but that may be a coincidence.

SaberEdge

Can someone explain briefly the benefit of G-Sync or even 120hz? I play on a plasma tv so I wonder what I'm missing out on

I have a Panasonic VT60, which is widely considered one of the best plasmas ever made, and I still vastly prefer gaming on my gsync monitor. Not only is the input lag much much lower, but I get to enjoy framerates up to 144fps and I never have to deal with screen tearing nor stutter. It's easily the best PC gaming related purchase I've ever made.

Soodanim

Ye.
After 5 years, my 120Hz monitor died last night.
I'm playing on my Bravia 40W705C and, jeez, 60Hz PC gaming is HORRIBLE.

I must hurry choosing a new monitor!
My experience is running counter to that at the moment. I (stupidly) avoided setting a frame rate cap in Bethesda games for years because I didn't think to add individual exe profiles in RTSS, and now I've never seen it so smooth (and on the same TV). Don't get me wrong, 144fps in a fast moving game is undeniably fantastic for motion clarity and frame rate is still king for me. But 60fps with proper frame timing is fine.

What have you been playing at 120fps that has you so adjusted that 60 looks horrible?

Is Discord still bugged for you guys?

Whenever I move my mouse while Discord is minimized, my voice and others are distorted. It never happens when G-Sync is disabled.

Top Bottom