• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Orleans Starts Tearing Down Confederate Monuments, Sparking Protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah not a fan of tearing down monuments. It's purely symbolic, and I believe things should be preserved as a memory. I still don't like that the Saddam Hussein statue was torn down.

If they are going to museums then it's fine.

Yeah not a fan of tearing down monuments. It's purely symbolic, and I believe things should be preserved as a memory. I still don't like that the Saddam Hussein statue was torn down.

If they are going to museums then it's fine.

Read. They're being persevered, somewhere else, because society should do better.

andycapps

Robert E. Lee was a popular figure everywhere in the country, not just in the confederate states. It is sourced from a mixture of white supremacy, backlash against Northern occupation of Southern States, the destruction of their slave-dependent economy, the destruction and bombing of Cities like Charleston, Richmond, and Atlanta with the result leaving the cities in ashes.

The biggest cause of the reaction to this statues being removed or any attempt to change the South, is centered on race and someone else taking away the good old days, a fictional depiction you can see in one of this country's most "treasured" film classics "Gone with the Wind."
This is a good post.

Cocaloch

A traitor to what? Some monarch? Who gives a fuck about monarchs.

His crimes are numerous, but cutting the head off a king isn't one of them.

On topic the state, though of course he also betrayed the Solemn League and Covenant. Your problem is you're too invested in thinking of traitor as a pejorative. He is a traitor in same same way the Confederate leaders are. The difference is the Confederacy did what they did in the name of slavery, and that's why their actions are bad.

In a literal sense that was absolutely one of Cromwell's crimes.

Nepenthe

What is it about a statue that demands inherent respect to itself that cannot be encroached upon as a statue? I can argue for the merits of pro-civil rights statues because what of what they stand for, not because they just happen to be statues that were made at or around the time of a certain event. And does this only extend to statues? If we're upset about the hypothetical thought of pro-confederate statues being destroyed, what about shit like anti-black signs in shops or segregated water fountains? I mean, so long as you put up a disclaimer, these things are cool because they're "reminders of the past," right?

I don't see any real objective reason to honor a piece of metal or stone just for being a piece of metal or stone.

Tall4Life

Even then we don't need to immortalize racists who fought on the wrong side of history.

I totally agree with you, I was just making note of how those other monuments aren't so overt in their racism, that one literally says that they fought for white supremacy which is abhorrent. I agree that we don't need any monuments or statues to the Confederacy at all, I'm on your side here. I was just making an observation.

FyreWulff

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
About time, remove the monuments to traitors. They have no place outside a museum that can present them in an appropriate manner.

AYF 001

"Abraham Lincoln won! Get over it losers!"

"Trumpflakes protesting are just paid Davis shills!"

"Wow so much for Southern hospitality!"

"Maybe if they were more peaceful we would listen to them."

Did I miss any?

We should tear them all down. Fucking Confederate statues and memorials are everywhere including in the north and DC and it pisses me off, especially because they are there because of white supremecists in the south who tried to rewrite history and make the south's role in the civil war into some noble rebellion when the war was always about slavery. You don't see statues of Nazi party leaders all over Germany, why the fuck should Ihave to look at traitorous evil racist fucks who led the Confederacy. Fuck you. You lost and the world is better because of it

massoluk

Banned
You know if they're claiming legacy of their Confederates, I could understand Bedford Forrest or Robert E Lee. But Jefferson Davis wasn't even a good head of state

Shits gonna hit the fan when they try and remove Robert E Lee IMO

I dunno, most of the activity out there is from people from out state. Locals have a tendency to be very opinionated but never do anything about anything. The Big Easy is not something the locals call this place, but we all have a hard time disagreeing with. The Big Cynical Apathy Because It's Too Fucking Hot and Muggy To Think Straight would work too. This applies across the political spectrum.

Some people still think Lee opposed slavery because they don't realize a lot has been written since the Ken Burns series, so there may be some well meaning, non-white supremacist types opposed to his removal, but I was never enamored with his choice of higher duty regardless.

There's no way they would scrap them... can you imagine the holy hell that would rain down?

They may be stored there because it's open air, big enough... god I hope so.

Still not sure where they are going to put them. The Robert E. Lee one is way bigger than it looks when you are on the ground:

-a80cea1ef8fdf511.jpg

How about who fucking cares if they get scraped? Don't know about these monuments in particular, but a lot of confederate monuments were erected during the civil rights movement long after the civil war. What is it with statues of horrible people and moderates saying "we need to preserve history." Didn't realize a statue was the only way to remember history. A bunch of racists put up statues of Civil War confederates during the civil rights movement to antagonize black people and all the sudden they can't be touched and we need to preserve history. Bullshit

HylianTom

Banned
Hooray. About damn time.

I've noticed a trend among the pro-confederate crowd: most of them are out-of-towners. And I take issue with them trying to dictate to us how we decorate our city.

fun fact; Jeff Sessions' parents named him after those two

Maybe we should put him in a scrapyard too

How about who fucking cares if they get scraped? Don't know about these monuments in particular, but a lot of confederate monuments were erected during the civil rights movement long after the civil war. What is it with statues of horrible people and moderates saying "we need to preserve history." Didn't realize a statue was the only way to remember history. A bunch of racists put up statues of Civil War confederates during the civil rights movement to antagonize black people and all the sudden they can't be touched and we need to preserve history. Bullshit

Melt them down and use them to make monuments to famous black new orleanians

Fuck the confederate states of America. Motherfuckers wanted to keep my ancestors in chains. Kill and rape them on the spot as they wished.

They can all eat shit in hell.

RyanW

Reading comments on Facebook live is stressful and makes me feel ashamed to be a Louisiana native.

"It destroys the culture of our city and the statues go with the architecture!" Those were in place long before these statues went up and the city will do just fine honey.

Reading comments on Facebook live is stressful and makes me feel ashamed to be a Louisiana native.

"It destroys the culture of our city and the statues go with the architecture!" Those were in place long before these statues went up and the city will do just fine honey.

I'm numb to being a Louisiana native at this point with all the dumb shit we do.

Koomaster

If they aren't going to destroy them, they really should set them up in the middle of a landfill. If people want to visit them there to 'honor history' or whatever the fuck, that's great. Let people visit the literal trash heap of history and let them get their fill of the garbage these men represented.

I honestly hope no museum offers to take them. These people can jack off to confederate wikipedia pages for all I care.

The arguments about "preserving history" or "remind us of our sins" whatever are pretty remedial at best.

All of the Confederate shit in the US needs to come down, melt that shit down and erect monuments of slaves who fought for their freedom.

The arguments about "preserving history" or "remind us of our sins" whatever are pretty remedial at best.

All of the Confederate shit in the US needs to come down, melt that shit down and erect monuments of slaves who fought for their freedom.

Right. People want preserved history, they can look in books and museums. Of course, "preserved history" already comes across as hollow since the same people protesting are part of the camp that wants to deny slavery ever happened and that if it happened it "wasn't that bad".

they should dump them in an empty field by the slavery museum at the whitney plantation so people can watch as nature slowly reclaims them into nothingness

As a southerner, it's very frustrating at how people down south have so intimately tied their sense of self and their heritage with literal traitors. And trust me, you cannot have an intelligent discussion about why these statues and the stars and bars flag are not something to parade around publicly and be proud of.

Quite frankly, these statues should have never been allowed to be made in the first place. There should be a federal law where traitors to the country aren't allowed public works to be made of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom