• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Orleans Starts Tearing Down Confederate Monuments, Sparking Protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reminds me that I saw a black man in confederate uniform with a re-enactment group at an event in South Carolina outside Charleston a few weeks back.

He was shouting things like "Don't be afraid to take a picture with a handsome confederate soldier!"

I don't like South Carolina.

Hard to forget when it still effects you on a day to day basis

The ones causing those impacts are the ones who forgot.

Eidan

Never understood why we even have so many civil war statues here considering we quickly surrendered and barely played a role. Jefferson Davis and Robert E Lee had nothing to do with New Orleans. At least Beauregard was from here but fuck him too.
Because it's not about heritage, it's about hate.

I feel like a confederate museum is a tasteful way to place all of these relics in a place where no one has to see them regularly.

To be honest, I live in Texas and I've never seen a reasonable, level-headed person brandishing confederate gear. "My heritage!"

New Orleans has a confederate museum and it's literally blocks away from this monument.

Slayven

Just reminds me that I saw a black man in confederate uniform with a re-enactment group at an event in South Carolina outside Charleston a few weeks back.

He was shouting things like "Don't be afraid to take a picture with a handsome confederate soldier!"

I don't like South Carolina.

The ones causing those impacts are the ones who forgot

They haven't forgot shit, they just wish they could go back to the good old days. How often have they said "blacks were better off under slavery"?

Never understood why we even have so many civil war statues here considering we quickly surrendered and barely played a role. Jefferson Davis and Robert E Lee had nothing to do with New Orleans. At least Beauregard was from here but fuck him too.

Good ol' Southern Pride, man, That's all. You know, the same reason I see people in Maine, of all places, flying Confederate Flags...

Yeah.

Fuchsdh

same

glorifiyng assholes from the past is one thing

but pretending that they never existed by erasing them is another.

history is about learning from the past, not erassing it like if it never happend

Yeah, but you can make that same argument leaving them where they are. "It needs to be in a museum for context" makes no sense when we normally leave historical markers and structures where they lay.

You'd need to rewrite that granite plaque again and not tiptoe around the fact that they were white supremacist assholes, though.

The article only obliquely touches on it but the 1993 rewrite was part of the last furor over whether to return it to public display when it was moved from its original location.

They haven't forgot shit, they just wish they could go back to the good old days. How often have they said "blacks were better off under slavery"?

I've met otherwise good people who've said things like that from a position of pure ignorance, not malice. Education about this history is important.

What I'm saying is put this stuff in a museum of "Here's who badly we fucked up. Learn from these errors."

BlitzKeeg

Racists live in every state. You'll see it in upstate New York too.

Yeah, "Rural _____" is always ripe for these scumbags.

Get these statues in the museum. At least it's bringing the racists out of the woodwork. The more that happens the harder it becomes for moderates to deny racism still exists.

I had mixed feelings about this, but this brought me back to sense:

" An inscription added in 1932 said the Yankees withdrew federal troops and "recognized white supremacy in the South" after the group challenged Louisiana's biracial government after the Civil War. In 1993, these words were covered by a granite slab with a new inscription, saying the obelisk honors "Americans on both sides" who died and that the conflict "should teach us lessons for the future."

Fuck. That. Shit.

I would prefer the museum option, but if it's not plausible, tear this shit down.

Yeah, "Rural _____" is always ripe for these scumbags.

Get these statues in the museum. At least it's bringing the racists out of the woodwork. The more that happens the harder it becomes for moderates to deny racism still exists.

Most the people protesting this are rural too. Most people in New Orleans don't even want the statues there. Like 60% of New Orleans is black and a majority of the white people lean left too. It's all people coming from the surrounding areas to protest too which is strange.

gcubed

It's important to remember the ugliest parts of our history. These are the sorts of things that are covered up today, actually destroying them would only make it worse.

the obelisk can get a video recording from multiple sides being blown to fucking pieces, and that can be placed in the museum to help remember the ugliest parts of history.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I would say most do.
Traitors to the winning state? Give me an example please? A country where monuments and statues exist for defeated secessionists, and where a good chunk of said country celebrate them (well at the same time being the biggest pushers of "patriotism").

Aikidoka

the obelisk can get a video recording from multiple sides being blown to fucking pieces, and that can be placed in the museum to help remember the ugliest parts of history.

now, this is an idea I could get behind.

but seriously, not having this statue in a museum isn't going to make people forget about the civil war and the failure of the reconstruction.

Holy shit at that Liberty Monument. I had no idea that was a thing until now. I shouldn't be surprised that old, angry white folks in Louisiana want to bitch about taking down a white supremacy statue.

Robert Bonner, 63, who said he is a Civil War re-enactor, was there to protest the statue's removal.

"I think it's a terrible thing," he said. "When you start removing the history of the city, you start losing money. You start losing where you came from and where you've been."

Right, because New Orleans is going to lose so much money by removing the statues of a racist regime.

BlitzKeeg

Most the people protesting this are rural too. Most people in New Orleans don't even want the statues there. Like 60% of New Orleans is black and a majority of the white people lean left too. It's all people coming from the surrounding areas to protest too which is strange.

And we're the fragile snowflakes.

Codeblue

Never been able to reconcile that people most prone to blind patriotism are also the most likely to celebrate traitors. First Secessionist slavers and now Russian agents.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Good. Why the fuck do we even have momuments still up celebrating the biggest traitors ever? Just put that shit in a museum if you're so obsessed with it.

zeemumu

What do they think the "States' Rights" part was about?

They're aware that slavery kinda tanks any argument that they could pull so they have to try and minimize it as much as possible to stand a chance. I'm starting to think that they spent so long lying to themselves about it that they think it's true.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Get FUCKED, racists.

Maybe you could install them in a museum, provided the name of the exhibit was something like "Racist Heritage: Extravagant Symbols of Deluded Hate". Make it clear these are antiquities of bigotry with no place in our modern society.

Slayven

They're aware that slavery kinda tanks any argument that they could pull so they have to try and minimize it as much as possible to stand a chance. I'm starting to think that they spent so long lying to themselves about it that they think it's true.

There is a reason the confederate flag came back around the time of the civil rights act

I don't think these people are protesting this as erasing important American history that can be used to teach about how racism is ingrained in the fabric of the society.

Yeah, it probably does belong in a museum. This sure as hell wont be the hill I die on though for the preservation of history.

Basically. It's partly the fault of our historians. Right after the civil war ended we had like a century of nothing but damage control and nearly all the most noteable civil war historians were southerners, and tried to argue the war was about something else or some greater cause

It also took like 100 years for the mainstream media to start to acknowledge that confederate imagery was problematic. I would say it was all the way up until the 1980s confederate flags and confederate symbols were considered "cool". Like dukes of hazard is nothing but confederate references but was a really popular show and didn't really see much criticism until this century and they attempt to revive the brand a few times

People see the length of time confederate symbols went largely unchecked as evidence that it is ok when the reality is that it was considered ok because the mainstream media didn't give a shit what black people thought until recently.

"This is all Obama's faul....oh he's not President any more? Well I guess it's no one's fault...or better yet it's Obama's Shadow Government pulling the strings!!"

Not a fan of them just tearing down the statues. People need to remember that there was a time when statues were made for these assholes, that that what society was like and that's who they saw as heroes. That kind of thing must not be forgotten, putting it in a museum is a good idea but I think leaving in public view will always force people to confront the past a lot more.

What is the K in America supposed to represent here? I've only ever seen it used as the triple K to protest far-right-wing shit, this seems pointless.

Also, there's a long ass list of things worse than Marxism to happen to the USA and most of them already happened.

Amerika with a K gets used sometimes as shorthand for "the commies have taken over", for some reason. It may go back to the 1987 TV miniseries "Amerika", which was a conservative thing that Ben Stein wrote to trumpet the virtues of nuclear deterrence by showing how without it, those Russians could take us over without firing a single bullet:

"Amerika was about life in the United States after a bloodless takeover engineered by the Soviet Union."

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerika_(miniseries)

Which makes her sign amazingly ironic and even more stupid.

zelas

same

glorifiyng assholes from the past is one thing

but pretending that they never existed by erasing them is another.

history is about learning from the past, not erassing it like if it never happend
Confederate sympathizers and racists are pretending their ancestors didn't fight for slavery. Why don't you go spend your time worrying about that history being ignored.

As for everyone else, we don't need monuments teach people why confederates fought for slavery because there are far more effective alternatives. If anything they should replace these monuments with depictions of those victimized by the confederacy. With plaques that just say "The Grey Backs did this." That's a far more effective way of conveying the only worthwhile lesson to be learned from confederates, "Fuck slavery."

Basically. It's partly the fault of our historians. Right after the civil war ended we had like a century of nothing but damage control and nearly all the most noteable civil war historians were southerners, and tried to argue the war was about something else or some greater cause

It also took like 100 years for the mainstream media to start to acknowledge that confederate imagery was problematic. I would say it was all the way up until the 1980s confederate flags and confederate symbols were considered "cool". Like dukes of hazard is nothing but confederate references but was a really popular show and didn't really see much criticism until this century and they attempt to revive the brand a few times

People see the length of time confederate symbols went largely unchecked as evidence that it is ok when the reality is that it was considered ok because the mainstream media didn't give a shit what black people thought until recently.

And, frankly, some of the blame lays at Lincoln's feet. He pardoned the South for the betterment of coming together to heal (good it did him, blah) when he should have come down hard on the South, like really, really hard. Being a Southerner should have the same as being a Nazi post-WWII. It should have been something that brought deep shame and disappointment to the country as a well, and the flag should have been banned. I wager, had Lincoln and Congress, had gone that direction, we would have a very different America today. Because it basically let the South rewrite history to their favor.

Kyonashi

Amerika with a K gets used sometimes as shorthand for "the commies have taken over", for some reason. It may go back to the 1987 TV miniseries "Amerika", which was a conservative thing that Ben Stein wrote to trumpet the virtues of nuclear deterrence by showing how without it, those Russians could take us over without firing a single bullet:

"Amerika was about life in the United States after a bloodless takeover engineered by the Soviet Union."

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerika_(miniseries)

Which makes her sign amazingly ironic and even more stupid.

Huh. Thanks for the info, I'm not American so I don't have a great knowledge of older American pop culture.

Armaros

CsD8uGt.jpg

The only Confedrate flag that should be remembered.

shiba5

Is it Marxists or ISIS?

Here's a Tweet from Virginia gubernatorial candidate Corey Stewart

@CoreyStewartVA
"It appears ISIS has won. They are tearing down historical monuments in New Orleans now too. It must end. Despicable!"

I can't but laugh.

Mahonay

Banned
Is it Marxists or ISIS?

Here's a Tweet from Virginia gubernatorial candidate Corey Stewart

@CoreyStewartVA
"It appears ISIS has won. They are tearing down historical monuments in New Orleans now too. It must end. Despicable!"

I can't but laugh.
Jesus H. Christ.

Wilsongt

Well, if they start tearing down the monuments to southern heritage, I guess the Civil War never happened, right?! How do you erase history?!

/facebook

I hope they get replaced by some inspiring landmarks, I know the city can come up with something good. Aesthetically I've always been fond of the Jackson statue with the cathedral backdrop, and Lee Circle will seem strange without something at the top of the pillar, but I'm not really sad to see any of this go. A museum is the right call.
Also when they unauctioning the pikachu statue??

The protesters are unsurprising. People voted and decisions were reached. Heck the street names will still be all over the place. On that note, it's also kinda funny that the first statue was taken down on the morning of a Confederate Memorial Day (Mississippi and Alabama).

Nah. Mash them down and use them as concrete for new sidewalks.

Ayy they could use them for the new Bourbon street renovations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom