• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and DS tidbits in the new Edge magazine

P90

Maridia said:
I don't look at Fox News so much as a haven for conservatives as a source of "comfort food" for people who don't want to be intellectually challenged by actual news.

:lol

You would probably label me a conservative and I laugh at your arrogance and ignorance.

Lo-Volt

Azelover said:
I don't know about BBC, but probably because they need it to be unified aswell as very global.

Well, the BBC does operate global channels and a large News Service with a global approach, so I don't understand how that would be an issue.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Lo-Volt said:
And speaking of CNN, why not the BBC or some other, non-cable-news-ghetto source be tapped to give Wii news?

because this is for japan and usa. and the bbc, quite frankly, doesnt cover those countries as adequately as cnn. and isnt as well known in those countries.

europe might get bbc though, you never know.

Do we even know if Panasonic is working Nintendo anymore? I'm not sure if they're providing the Wii DVD drive at all. Also it seems like Nintendo doesn't use Panasonic TVs all the time when showing off the Wii.

ethelred

soundwave05 said:
Do we even know if Panasonic is working Nintendo anymore? I'm not sure if they're providing the Wii DVD drive at all. Also it seems like Nintendo doesn't use Panasonic TVs all the time when showing off the Wii.

It's almost like you're obsessed with Panasonic or something.

ethelred said:
It's almost like you're obsessed with Panasonic or something.

Actually no, I'd say f-ck Panasonic.

Nintendo could easily pay an additional $5 or whatever to upgrade the DVD player to a DVD burner and then a HDD for $60-$70 at cost. Then sell the Wii DVR or whatever for $299.99 next year. Which is a price better for us consumers.

If you bring Panasonic into the equation, they're going to want their cut of the profit too, so that means another $100-$200 mark up for nothing. That would suck. There's no reason Nintendo themselves couldn't make their own DVR or DVD functional Wii. HDDs and DVD burners can be purchased from any number of vendors these days, Nintendo doesn't have to go through Panasonic/Matsushita at all.

The Wii OS could also be better implimented this way. For instance your Mii profile could also keep a list of your favorite TV shows and record those or remind you about those shows automatically.

Rocked said:
- Sega has moved a significant number of development staff from PS3 to Wii over the Summer
I support this move because:
1- I don't want Sega to dig their grave trying to push their post-DC garbage at next-gen costs
2- It gives me hope for JSR on Wii

ethelred

soundwave05 said:

Nintendo could easily pay an additional $5 or whatever to upgrade the DVD player to a DVD burner and then a HDD for $60-$70 at cost. Then sell the Wii DVR or whatever for $299.99.

If you bring Panasonic into the equation, they're going to want their cut of the profit too, so that means another $100-$200 mark up for nothing. That would suck. There's no reason Nintendo themselves couldn't make their own DVR or DVD functional Wii. HDDs and DVD burners can be purchased from any number of vendors these days, Nintendo doesn't have to go through Panasonic/Matsushita at all.

The Wii OS could also be better implimented this way. For instance your Mii profile could also keep a list of your favorite TV shows and record those or remind you about those shows automatically.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that you're obsessed with Panasonic so much... it's more like you're obsessed with constructing fantasy alternate realities propped up by convolutedly complex (and increasingly unrealistic the further you go) business plans for Nintendo.

medrew

soundwave05 said:

Nintendo uses Sharp LCD's to showcase their games because the Aquaos line is head and shoulders above anything else. Panasonic aren't renowned for their LCD's. Plasmas are a different beast, however. Besides, Sharp is their provider for hand-held screens as it is. You're reading far too into something that has no real bearing (afterall, the tvs aren't even labelled and are in custom cases). You just don't get it.
Nintendo's choice of using SD cards should be a direct case of them still having close relations with Panasonic as they are one of the holders of SD patents.

ethelred said:
Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that you're obsessed with Panasonic so much... it's more like you're obsessed with constructing fantasy alternate realities propped up by convolutedly complex (and increasingly unrealistic the further you go) business plans for Nintendo.

007_j_architect.jpg

You wouldn't happen to be related to this guy, would you? :lol

Christopher

The Black Brad Pitt said:
FUKN HYPOCRITICAL MORONS

bububububub everyone has 17 dvd players already.

Speak it Brad!! Last time I said they should at least have a DVD playback option 5-6 Nintendo "fans" gangraped me in a thread telling me I should have 4-5 by now. However, now the feature is innovate oh geeze.

Soundwave could be the most annoying member on these boards, but I'm still up in the air on that one.

So should I wait for this new Wii? Or would you guys just get this one regardless.

xabre

Banned
Christopher said:
Speak it Brad!! Last time I said they should at least have a DVD playback option 5-6 Nintendo "fans" gangraped me in a thread telling me I should have 4-5 by now. However, now the feature is innovate oh geeze.

Happened to me as well. I actually do prefer Nintendo to the other two but christ almightly the fans give me the shits sometimes.

Ikael

As for SEGA ... Virtua Cop, F-Zero WX, and House of the Dead Wii, DO IT SEGA.
NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS
NIGHTS
Generally talking, most of the SEGA's franchises would work bettter in the Wii. Let Wii have Virtua cop, panzer dragoon, jet set radio, Nights or samba de amigo. The other two consoles can have shenmue, crazy taxi, Virtua Figher and all the other franchises that requires horsepower in order to shine.

A Wii DVR would capture my interest (as would a 360 one), as long as it could record in widescreen 480p. If it was Japan only, and there were games like Sin and Punishment, Metal Gear 1 and 2 MSX, Seiken Densetsu 3, etc. available for Japanese VC, I'd import it.

On a slightly related note... think Nintendo will announce Saturn and some PSOne 3rd-party game ports for VC with a firmware update to allow for harddrives?

DrGAKMAN

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I would consider a Panasonic Wii or whatever if it had

DVD writing/upconverting
100 GB or more HDD
Wii OS intergrated "Wii TV" Channel for TV recording/editing.
Ability to record TV while playing a game.

And was relatively small and kept the Wii design style (blue LED slot loading, sleek white or black casing). Something about the size of a Mac Mini would be nice.

Basically just a standard DVD Recorder run through the Wii OS and a form factor/style more in line with the regular console. Hopefully for no more than $400.

Excellent. I bought my LITE ON DVD Recorder (which writes/rewrites to DVD-/+R/RW nicely) for about $100 and it can record live TV to discs in real-time. Sure it's not top of the line, but for it's price/function it's rather nice.

And I agree with you on the Wii OS being user-friendly...that with the Wiimote acting as an onscreen menu curser would really bring things like DVD recording, DVR functions & even living room video editing to the masses. The chipset would be powerful enough for that as a long time ago Nintendo (as well as Panasonic & IBM) originally planned on putting the "Dolphin" set into other devices beyond gaming.

Take a Wii, add DVD playback/recording, digital audio output, 100GB HDD, video capture input and a new Wii Channel for this multimedia capability and it would offer so much and be cheaper & more practical than what the competiton could offer in the same space. Yeah, they've got HiDef & new fangled disc format's...but can you take a home video from an SD card, outside source or the internet and make a DVD in your living room on PS3 or X360? Can you record live TV onto a DVD in real-time? Hell...they could offer game making tools to consumers out there to make their own games and back those up on DVD's as well.

I'm not blabbing about a "new revoltion" or anything, but this certainly is interesting to speculate about.

Christopher said:
So should I wait for this new Wii? Or would you guys just get this one regardless.
I wouldn't wait. It's unclear exactly how it's going to happen. It might not even be available out of Japan like that Q.

ethelred

soundwave05 said:

Nintendo could easily pay an additional $5 or whatever to upgrade the DVD player to a DVD burner and then a HDD for $60-$70 at cost. Then sell the Wii DVR or whatever for $299.99 next year. Which is a price better for us consumers.

N64_kid.jpg

You wouldn't happen to be related to this guy, would you?

Ikael said:
NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS NIGHTS
NIGHTS
Generally talking, most of the SEGA's franchises would work bettter in the Wii. Let Wii have Virtua cop, panzer dragoon, jet set radio, Nights or samba de amigo. The other two consoles can have shenmue, crazy taxi, Virtua Figher and all the other franchises that requires horsepower in order to shine.
The non-fighting portions of Shenmue (i.e. most of the game) could benefit greatly from added interactivity with Wii, from examing objects, opening doors, brushing away cobwebs, etc. to stuff like the QTE where you would actually have to dodge left and right with both controllers or block attacks. The minigames would of course be awesome (darts FTW!). I suppose the fighting could take on a different style with motions combined with buttons. Might turn off some hardcore fans though, so be sure to include a Classic Controller (*ahem* SNK, you bastards) scheme too.

As for Panzer Dragoon... aiming and flying would probably work pretty well, I'd like to see a new shooter sequel developed around the controller. I'd also like to see PDS of course, if only so I can aim at targets in the overworld rather than having to cycle through them. Aiming at enemies and such during battles would be cool too.

Grok4Spock

- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on the News Channel in American and Japan. News will be presented by category, but another way of getting to it is by spinning the weather globe to find stories in different countries
Awesome, not only can I play innovative games, but I get to have terrorist propaganda and Democrat talking points all for only $250....

Grok4Spock said:
Awesome, not only can I play innovative games, but I get to have terrorist propaganda and Democrat talking points all for only $250....
Which part of the news item said you had to use it? It seems like the channels will be customizeable, so I'm sure you'll be able to remove it if you don't want to be tempted with it's juicy, moist, non-FOXness.

Maridia

P90 said:

You would probably label me a conservative and I laugh at your arrogance and ignorance.

You can laugh if you want, but true conservatism is based around principles of limiting government growth and spending. Fox News has been openly supportive of both government growth and increased spending as the current Republican administration has done both.

Furthermore, there are many instances on record of Fox News being a very misleading source for news. One that particularly stuck out for me was a study published in the Winter 2003-2004 issue(118) of Political Science Quarterly, those that watched Fox News led viewers of other major media outlets (NPR/PBS, print, ABC, CNN, NBC,CBS) in the Iraq War-related misconceptions that the world opinion favored the war, that evidence of an al Quaeda link had been found, and that WMDs had been found. What's more disturbing is that those who reported following the news most closely among Fox News viewers most commonly subscribed to these inaccuracies!

I wasn't trying to criticisize your views or belittle your preferences, but I think that Fox News would be a poor choice for this service. If you feel that Fox News is the right outlet for you, more power to you.

Grok4Spock

AndoCalrissian said:
Which part of the news item said you had to use it? It seems like the channels will be customizeable, so I'm sure you'll be able to remove it if you don't want to be tempted with it's juicy, moist, non-FOXness.
You know what they say when you ASS-U-ME....

mj1108

Shinoobi said:
I support this move because:
1- I don't want Sega to dig their grave trying to push their post-DC garbage at next-gen costs
2- It gives me hope for JSR on Wii

Spray paint tagging with the Wiimote!!!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN SEGA.

Ikael

The non-fighting portions of Shenmue (i.e. most of the game) could benefit greatly from added interactivity with Wii, from examing objects, opening doors, brushing away cobwebs, etc. to stuff like the QTE where you would actually have to dodge left and right with both controllers or block attacks. The minigames would of course be awesome (darts FTW!). I suppose the fighting could take on a different style with motions combined with buttons. Might turn off some hardcore fans though, so be sure to include a Classic Controller (*ahem* SNK, you bastards) scheme too.
Now that you mentioned it, I would like to see Shenmue's exclusively on the Wii, just to see the GAF's reaction. THAT would be a sight to behold.

Do you guys realize that outside the US, Fox news are viewed as the Bush cheerleaders that they are? That they have zero credibility (perhaps, only among the most right winger British, but that's it)? CNN is a GREAT choice for Wii Channel and the most prestigious news network in the world along with the BBC. It isn't a question of ideology, but rather profesionalism.

Christopher said:
I didn't notice everyone claiming that feature is innovative.

cvxfreak

Chrono said:
Nintendo would need a lot more power than gamecube for blu-ray, ps3 has cell + a modern gpu.

They'd have to basically add in a lot of more expensive chips so a cheaper-than-ps3 blu-ray player isn't really that easy.

Oh snap, I totally forgot about the other factors. Whoops, nevermind. :lol

Jasper

JSR would be fantastic for the Wii. :)

Just imagine, shake your Wiimote like a spray can, whilst you can hear the can making that "tock, tock, tock" sound through the wiimote speaker, and then press A to release paint.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Christopher said:
Last time I said they should at least have a DVD playback option 5-6 Nintendo "fans" gangraped me in a thread telling me I should have 4-5 by now. However, now the feature is innovate oh geeze.

who the **** said it was innovative? I was disappointed it didnt have DVD playback because I haven't got a dedicated DVD player under my TV - only one as part of my PC. I want DVD playback even though I understand most people already have a DVD player and dont care

KINGMOKU

Chris Remo said:
I didn't notice everyone claiming that feature is innovative.
It's the second time he's claimed something about Nintendo fans, without it happening. Anotherwords, a liar.

He just cannot stand Nintendo fans for some reason , as it irks him that people can be loyal to a videogame company or something.

Personaly, I could care less about DVD playback as the DVD player they use in consoles in always inferior to a good stand alone unit.

Why the big deal about them doing another Q in Japan is beyond me. People trying to find something to bitch about again is my guess.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Monkey Ball looks like it's shaping up to be God's gift to fans of the original game, so that should do some good numbers. Sonic Wii is a no-brainer for good sales as well.

So hopefully the NiGHTS, Sambas and Jet Set Radios will follow ...

*dreams*

Juice

Nintendo intended to bring Wii to shop shelves in the UK and US for £150 and $200, but became influenced by pressure from the larger retail chains, which raised concerns over margins and low so-called 'basket value' (ie, the amount of revenue generated from a customer's overall purchases at the till)

This is absolutely, verifiably true.

Mato

- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enhanced Wii capable of such a feature

Thats so funky and extravagant of them. Nice tidbits and info anyway.

ram

what? you can read global news via the wii channel, but you cant watch dvds on your console? thats just pathetic. also, what about europe? no cnn deal for europe and no other deal as well? and honestly, i dont think nintendo europe has the balls, to make some deals with french, uk and german news providers.

ram said:
what? you can read global news via the wii channel, but you cant watch dvds on your console? thats just pathetic.

QFT

What i see as more pathetic is the constant "we are all about gaming" nonsense Nintendo and their fans pushed down our throat for so long and then this Wii connect crap which comprises of totally unrelated features like a weather service is announced for the Wii...and the SAME exact people who were bashing 360 and Ps3 for not just being about gaming go ape shit for Wii connect, calling it the best thing since slice bread.

Really, what is up with that nonsense?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Christopher said:

Soundwave could be the most annoying member on these boards, but I'm still up in the air on that one.

Man, its way more than 5-6. And are they still just "fans" if they have the Nintendo logo tattooed on their ass cheeks like a mad magazine fold out?

People just dont understand not everyone has 17 (are we still at 17 or we expected to have 28 now?) dvd players placed conveniently around their house like them so they can watch their japanese cartoons in their bathroom while they are taking a dump.

Convenience? Whats that? Never mind the fact that people dont want to have multiple units around their tv area when there doesnt NEED to be. Centre of the living room for real!

Never mind that however, lets talk about how cool it is we can check the weather on the wii is and how we can leave messages for grandma to stop leaving her dentures on the kitchen table.

Oh grandma you got me again.

Rocked

ram said:
what? you can read global news via the wii channel, but you cant watch dvds on your console? thats just pathetic. also, what about europe? no cnn deal for europe and no other deal as well? and honestly, i dont think nintendo europe has the balls, to make some deals with french, uk and german news providers.

Edge says at the time of going to press Nintendo's just ironing out the final details of this channel in European territories. I am hoping for BBC for the UK.

ziran

thanks for the summary Rocked.

i haven't been interested in most of what sega has made over the last few years apart from monkey ball, but it's still good to hear they're devoting more resources to wii. i'm all for more fun, arcade type games from sega for wii, imo it's what they're best at.

i agree with what many have already said about the upgraded wii comment. it's probably going to be essentially a new Q, with hdd and maybe dvdrw.

i'm not surprised about the retail pressure for wii, especially since sony cited it as a reason for dropping the price of ps3 in japan. if retail doesn't like stocking your product you're going to have a tough time.

- Edge says that Wii Sports will be to Wii what Mario 64 was to the N64. Says golf has the best single player mode (no surprise) and boxing is their favourite overall
wow! :D

great to hear!

"We know it's a long way to get out of the videogaming ghetto"

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Man, its way more than 5-6. And are they still just "fans" if they have the Nintendo logo tattooed on their ass cheeks like a mad magazine fold out?

People just dont understand not everyone has 17 (are we still at 17 or we expected to have 28 now?) dvd players placed conveniently around their house like them so they can watch their japanese cartoons in their bathroom while they are taking a dump.

Convenience? Whats that? Never mind the fact that people dont want to have multiple units around their tv area when there doesnt NEED to be. Centre of the living room for real!

Never mind that however, lets talk about how cool it is we can check the weather on the wii is and how we can leave messages for grandma to stop leaving her dentures on the kitchen table.

Oh grandma you got me again.

Dude... Don't get a heartattack... Alot of people(notice I said alot not all) have a standalone dvdplayer and do not really care if there are dvdsupport in the Wii or not... It is that simple. And no I do not think people will throw away their standalone unit so they can play a dvd on their console instead for convenience...

And that has nothing to do with whether one is a "fan" of nintendo or not... Take a chill pill

Top Bottom