• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and DS tidbits in the new Edge magazine

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:
Multiple resolutions like PC games have been doing FTW :)

Good point, actually. But for HD to run smoothly, Nintendo would have to beef up the specs signicantly, so it seems they won't bother till Wii 2.

Lo-Volt

TheGreatDave said:
People don't want the Wii's they buy this year to become the new DS Phats. I doubt they have much to worry about, but if a new model had more functionality and a better appearance, people would be pissed.

Isn't that more of a handheld thing for Nintendo? Beyond those add-ons which were mostly Japanese affairs, I remember it being uncommon for Nintendo consoles to have functional makeovers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rocked

TheGreatDave said:
And Wii Sports will obviously be the game for Wii that Mario 64 was for the N64. It may not be as good a game, but it's one that showcases the system's abilities perfectly, and has that same "holy shit" feel to it that moving Mario in 3D did.

Yeah, that's what they meant. The controls and the Mii feature shows what the Wii's all about.

Lo-Volt said:
Isn't that more of a handheld thing for Nintendo? Beyond those add-ons which were mostly Japanese affairs, I remember it being uncommon for Nintendo consoles to have functional makeovers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong, which is why I'm not worried. But you know...it's GAF.

The fact Nintendo put no new features at all in the DS Lite shows me that they're much more interested in system compatability than offering more functional hardware at a later date.

Oblivion said:
Good point, actually. But for HD to run smoothly, Nintendo would have to beef up the specs signicantly, so it seems they won't bother till Wii 2.

Yeah I guess. But for games that are basically just GCN engines (even Zelda: TP) the only real thing holding back 720p resolution IMO is the embedded RAM. Bump the embedded RAM to 4.5MB instead of 3MB and you got yourself enough for a 720p buffer.

If the Wii is double the power of the GC, then it should be able to run the games that have GC level visuals at 720p and things like the virtual console and Wii Channels as well.

GaimeGuy said:
why the **** do you people care whether or not the Wii can play DVDs?

Holy ****ing shit.

Exactly my thoughts.

Sega on the other hand, I wonder what franchises they're going to bring. Along with F-Zero, it'll be great if they would move some of their Xbox franchises to the Wii. Panzer Dragoon would be awesome on it.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
TheGreatDave said:
And Wii Sports will obviously be the game for Wii that Mario 64 was for the N64. It may not be as good a game, but it's one that showcases the system's abilities perfectly, and has that same "holy shit" feel to it that moving Mario in 3D did.

I agree with you. It seems like people in this thread thought they meant that Wii Sports would be the same epic game that Mario 64 was...on the contrary, it is probably similar in a sense that it best displays the simplistic, yet intuitive game play features.

Holy shit Firefox 2 has built in spell check...I would have looked quite the fool in this thread had I not updated.

Edit: Too bad it can't fix my grammar and broken sentence structure.

Rocked said:
- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on tne News Channel in American and Japan.

Now this is interesting news. I wonder if it'll be some sort of extension/variation of the CNN website with video and other interactive bits, or just a crappy summary of headlines that I can get on my cell phone.

Oh, and your avatar CREEPS ME THE HELL OUT.

Rather than let franchises like Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, and Crazy Taxi basically ... die ... why not just put them on the Wii?

That's a big advantage on the Wii, the dev costs can be kept lower, so let some of these franchises get a second lease on life with the Wii.

I hope Sega is thinking this same way. Also light gun shooters and other arcadey types of games would be a no brainer.

soundwave05 said:
Rather than let franchises like Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, and Crazy Taxi basically ... die ... why not just put them on the Wii?

That's a big advantage on the Wii, the dev costs can be kept lower, so let some of these franchises get a second lease on life with the Wii.

I hope Sega is thinking this same way.

GC0821_box.jpg

I think they're thinking a different way to you...

TheGreatDave said:
GC0821_box.jpg

I think they're thinking a different way to you...

LOL they can keep that kind of shit on the PS3/360 (kids love guns, lets make Sonic GTA!).

Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop ... come to daddy.

Rocked

whatdidyousay said:
Now this is interesting news. I wonder if it'll be some sort of extension/variation of the CNN website with video and other interactive bits, or just a crappy summary of headlines that I can get on my cell phone.

Oh, and your avatar CREEPS ME THE HELL OUT.

:lol Poor Pete!

At least it's not Fox providing the news. :)

Luckett_X

Banned
I think i'd prefer the Panzer Dragoon series rest in peace than be re-animated by Sega's startling incompetence these days.

A shoddy Panzer Dragoon cash-in would probably have me causing myself personal injury.

Oblivion

soundwave05 said:

I hope Sega is thinking this same way. Also light gun shooters and other arcadey types of games would be a no brainer.

If Sega was known for good business decisions they wouldn't be Sega.

soundwave05 said:
Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop ... come to daddy.

Those series are more likely to show up on 360 than Wii if not the PS3, hell HotD4 is already in development for 360, and i believe a Virtua Cop is also.

panasonic-dmrE500hebs.jpg

Panasonic does make DVRs of course. It would be more likely a Panasonic Wii-Q type thing is coming that functions as a media center type of device. That would also make for a more feasible price difference between the regular Wii model and the Panasonic one.

Of course I think it would probably look more like the Wii design, like the Q was more like the GC design. Something like the Mac Mini perhaps, but a little bigger.

They really do need to make another Skies of Arcadia sequel. Ramirez rocked. What is up with companies? Is it just so hard to stick with a great series?

Oblivion

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
Those series are more likely to show up on 360 than Wii if not the PS3, hell HotD4 is already in development for 360, and i believe a Virtua Cop is also.

Doubtful about SoA and PDS.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Good news for me. Means by the time I can afford Wii it will have a price drop and I'll be able to see if this "Wii+" version is a reality. I personally dont have a dedicated DVD player, and having gaming and movies all on one piece of kit under my TV would be most economical and practical, if it came to Europe.

The claim that Nintendo were aiming for $200 doesn't say whether Wii Sports was originally planned to be included in that deal. They could have jacked the price up to include Wii Sports and make retailers more happy about the margins...they play big role in promoting wii to customers.

"We know it's a long way to get out of the videogaming ghetto"

:lol :lol :lol

soundwave05 said:
As for SEGA ... Virtua Cop, F-Zero WX, and House of the Dead Wii, DO IT SEGA.

Add Daytona & Sega Rally to that list. All these titles would be at home on Wii. I hope they release a collection of the VC and HotD games on Wii (or over VC) - ideally with an option to calibrate the pointer to your position so you can get a more lightgun experience rather than rely on a cursor. The arcade racing franchises are an obvious choice.

Mrbob said:
Wii Sports will be the Mario 64 equivalent? Doubtful.

Possible

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Lo-Volt said:
And speaking of CNN, why not the BBC or some other, non-cable-news-ghetto source be tapped to give Wii news?

Maybe this is what Europe is getting?

Maridia

Maxrpg said:
Just not FOX NEWS. God. Conservative haven total.

I don't look at Fox News so much as a haven for conservatives as a source of "comfort food" for people who don't want to be intellectually challenged by actual news. Out of all the major news outlets, I think CNN was a pretty good choice: good, timely reporting, and commentary from a variety of ideologies.

Wii Sports is definitely no Mario 64. But Zelda: TP + Wii Sports more than covers the lack of a Mario game. You got your epic adventure there and then your multiplayer/fun title that showcases the controller.

Sure beats Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race 64 any way you slice it I guess. Though I have a feeling Wario Ware will be the biggest Wii seller in Japan, perhaps even bigger than Zelda.

MrSardonic

BBC for news in UK would be good.

soundwave05 said:
If the Wii is double the power of the GC, then it should be able to run the games that have GC level visuals at 720p.

dont think it works like that

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Oldschoolgamer said:
Wait...the wii hasn't even launched yet...and their is an upgraded model coming out next ****ing year?

wtf... :<

I'm not interested in it but really, they're probably doing it for Japan only as a matter of space in japanese households. And even then I don't think they would ever make it widely available anywhere.

The Revolution was supposed to do it using a hardware add on(instead of a simple software update), and the Wii can't read any DVD discs at all. If all they wanted was not to pay the royalties they would have included a regular DVD reader without movie playback(to be unlocked by software), but they didn't do that, the "no DVDs on Wii" thing is right in the hardware, obviously it's an anti-piracy measure. So I don't think they're gonna have a Q-like Wii as a standard anywhere.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A DVD Wii is a bit odd. Maybe they've just done some surveys in Japan and there's enough demand there though.

Wii Sports / Mario 64 comparisons from Edge of all people is a bit surprising as well, but I can see where they are coming from. Ignoring the different scope of the 2 games, Mario64 just *felt* fundamentally different to control. You felt like you were playing something completely new.

I'm beginning to get quite curious about Wii Sports now.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I called a Wii SP months ago.

Well...wait...so did alot of other people too though.

To me, I think they could probably make DVD playback codecs available for download to "regular" Wii's and they could just add that in as a new Wii Channel. The cool thing about that is DVD-ROM material could be accessed and you could use the Wiimote to more easily navigate menu's which would be cool for like grandma's.

Needing a whole new "Wii SP" model wouldn't make sense unless they plan on doing other things with it beyond just adding DVD playback. I would imagine a nice big HDD for multimedia capabilities would be a good reason to release a new version of the Wii later on. Hopefully they could make it a DVR with inputs for video capture!

I would consider a Panasonic Wii or whatever if it had

DVD writing/upconverting
100 GB or more HDD
Wii OS intergrated "Wii TV" Channel for TV recording/editing.
Ability to record TV while playing a game.

And was relatively small and kept the Wii design style (blue LED slot loading, sleek white or black casing). Something about the size of a Mac Mini would be nice.

Basically just a standard DVD Recorder run through the Wii OS and a form factor/style more in line with the regular console. Hopefully for no more than $400.

MrSardonic

Nintendo might also increase the internal memory to 1GB in Wii manufactured in the future (as prices drop and the number of VC games and Wii Channels available increases).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Lo-Volt said:
And speaking of CNN, why not the BBC or some other, non-cable-news-ghetto source be tapped to give Wii news?

I don't know about BBC, but probably because they need it to be unified aswell as very global.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
BBC has to be seen as impartial as well, as part of it's broadcasting agreement. It's not allowed to be seen as favouring or supporting one specific company over another.

P90

- CNN has signed up with Nintendo as the provider of news content on tne News Channel in American and Japan.

I'd rather have Fox news, CBC, BBC (international) and Public Television news. CNN is horrible.

cvxfreak

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wii infused with a Blu-Ray player via Panasonic. If Panasonic and Nintendo could offer it at a lower price than the PS3 then I think it would be a popular option with Japanese gamers who want movies and games in one.

cvxfreak said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wii infused with a Blu-Ray player via Panasonic. If Panasonic and Nintendo could offer it at a lower price than the PS3 then I think it would be a popular option with Japanese gamers who want movies and games in one.

In Japan I honestly think DVR would be bigger than Blu-Ray. A lot of people in Japan don't even have an HDTV, as adoption of the format there is going considerably slower than North America.

But I'd wager just about every household probably could use something to record TV on other than an archaic VHS. The Wii OS is perfect for easy to use TV or home movie recording/editing as well.

Also a Wii Blu-Ray Panasonic player would probably be more like $800-$1000, vs. perhaps $400 for a DVR Wii. Large HDDs these days are getting cheaper and cheaper and a rewritable DVD drive costs very little. The form factor could be kept very small in keeping with the Wii's philosophy of being convienant and out of the way.

Chrono

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Nintendo would need a lot more power than gamecube for blu-ray, ps3 has cell + a modern gpu.

They'd have to basically add in a lot of more expensive chips so a cheaper-than-ps3 blu-ray player isn't really that easy.

The IRONY of this is that Nintendo may transform Wii to become the most popular set-top box before MS achieves that goal with Xbox WITHOUT really even TRYING and after years of saying "WE MAKE GAMES NOT SET TOP BOXES".... :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
cvxfreak said:

Maybe Nintendo should then just market the Wii DVD/DVR by themselves? Who needs Panasonic really?

They have the Wii OS already there and could add a Wii TV channel pretty easily. HDDs and a rewritable DVD drives can be bought by any vendor for cheap these days.

This would bode better for a global release at some point too. And the design of the unit could be directly in line with the main Wii console.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it wasn't so small, I wouldn't mind a Wii SP with video-inputs actually.

So you could have a couple of 'real' channels available to select with the remote - TV, DVD - instead of changing AV inputs on your TV. Then you'd also always see messages and game requests as well.

Nash said:
BBC has to be seen as impartial as well, as part of it's broadcasting agreement. It's not allowed to be seen as favouring or supporting one specific company over another.

Well, they have lots of content on Media Center PCs. It's not really much different than that.

BBC would be my provider of choice, but I used to go to CNN.com and have no problem with them.

Top Bottom