• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

wiztGJSl.jpg

Old Guts looks kinda cool. Female-Guts reminds me of Casca.

Has anyone listened to Sullkast? Is it worth my time? Admittedly, I don't know much about that forum.

If you want to listen about Berserk being thoroughly analyzed, it's certainly interesting.

As for the forum, content-wise is the best english site you'll find about Berserk. The community is a shit hole though.

It's leaked on a Korean site, here's a summary of the latest Episode of the Manga from Skullknight:

Here's a rough summary courtesy of puella:

The old magicians comment "Well well, it ended up like this, as expected. When we have a feast, elves can never stay still." Meanwhile Isidro tells tales of his adventures, getting out from fights with tons of evil spirits, and BAM he destroys his enemies with his salamander dagger. Meanwhile drunk Isma shows her merrow-ness, and a couple of mischievous witches in the back tell her "hey, why don't you take a bath here, we put a lot of herbs in there to wash up your fatigue" and so on. Given that they're talking about a cauldron, it seems they really aim to cook her. The dwarves on the other hand seem happy with Azan, commenting on how they get along well. The brownies on the other hand have only one word to say: work! Dismayed, Magnifico questions why he should serve.. As for Puck, he simply utters that it's unfaaaair.

Guts is sitting alone, far away from the party. Roderick and Serpico arrive, Roderick asking "Can I seat next to you, commander? Let's have a good time between men, watching the cherry blossoms at night." He goes on: "I understand how you feel, but you have no choice but leaving her to them, since we've come this far." Serpico adds "I know you're not good at this kind of thing." Guts replies: "It's true that I wasn't, but I have changed a lot. I've realized many things during this journey. When I was all alone, I didn't care about anything, I fought without aim. I didn't care how badly I was beaten up. But since we were two, I felt my sword was heavier, and that I shouldn't die... I changed my reason/way to fight. I couldn't handle it by myself. So I just gave up all of my ways and, with other people's help, I managed to move forward." He goes on: "So I thank you". Serpico is surprised: "Ohhh, how could I ever expect to hear such polite words from you. Maybe you're starting to be drunk...". Guts replies with a simple "Maybe...".

Serpico takes his turn: "Well... though I talk like that, I myself also changed in many ways through this journey. When she and I were in the HICK, we left everything up to god. In a way, those were peaceful days. All we had to do was meekly obey the Holy See. I can't say that we were happy, but it was a proper place for Lady Farnese at the time. However, when we met you everything was swept away. Farnese lost her faith and became fascinated by you, who had destroyed it. While I, who had served her since childhood, couldn't even approach her... you did everything so easily that I had never thought to do. You blew some life into her. To be honest, I felt hatred for you several times, and felt surprised I had such violent feelings within me. But in another way, I was happy and proud of her, who started to work and stand on her two own feet, though it was unstable. And I realized Lady Casca has made Farnese strong. I realized people don't grow up until they get to have someone to protect. Now Farnese is no better than a big sister who takes care of her little sister. Let's trust their connection and wait. I've also changed much, to open my heart like that to my traveling companions. Maybe I'm also drunken."

Roderick is next to speak, telling Serpico: "Ah, you're dangerous, you've got that kind of secret hate!" To Guts he says: "But isn't it good? A big guy like you has lived that kind of adventure, risking your life for a woman to the far end of the sea...". He adds: "I want to die my final days by drowning in the sea, or in liquor or women." Serpico comments matter-of-factly that Roderick's actually drunk. But Guts' thoughts are elsewhere. He thinks back to what the Skull Knight told him, so long ago on that beach: "Above all, what you wish for may not be what she wishes for."

The scene cuts to the dreamscape. Farnese comments "We've walked quite a long ways, where are the petals going towards? They're flying against the wind..." Schierke answers that "Time and distance are vague here. I think we're going to see some sign." They notice a bonfire. Farnese says "Ahh it's warm, let's take a rest for a bit before we get going again." But Schierke isn't fooled, she wonders what's going on. When they see the scene of Guts form, Schierke correctly deduces that it's a fragment of Casca's memory. Farnese puts two and two together: "Then this back, this person is..." They're interrupted by a voice, which in the real world was Casca's voice: "A bonfire... of dreams...". Guts turns back and replies: "Ahh, what a good line. You sound like some kind of princess."

Schierke comments that this is Guts before he met them. Farnese thinks to herself: "The Guts who I don't know." She then comments, surprised: "This feeling transferred to me...". Schierke finishes her thought: "That's what Casca felt at that time". Farnese(?) thinks to herself: "Pitiful and yet warm. A wonderful feeling." The scene vanishes (we hear some more of Casca's talk to Guts from that time) and turns into a broken piece of the doll. Farnese asks what's going on, Schierke gets it. She tells Farnese to open the coffin. Farnese says hi to the little sprite "we meet again", but it cowers before the dog. When he drops the piece onto the doll, it restores it a bit. Farnese comments on it: "The doll was restored...?". Schierke replies "I guess this is the rule of this world. By collecting the fragments of Casca's memory, scattered in this wilderness, we can restore this doll."

The dog barks, and they notice they've got company. Farnese: "They come again, the shadow-like things." Schierke: "This time they're in larger numbers. They probably want to hinder us. Let's fight them." She pulls something out of her bag. Farnese asks what it is. Schierke, somewhat embarrassed, replies "...It seems I brought them from my dream". She goes on: "But this is surely an unexpected chance!" As she activates them, she says: "Hey you! Give us a hand!". And a giant golem and wheel of flames appear. Farnese is amazed, and Schierke tells her it's possible because they're in a dream.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=15306.25

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm going to wait for an actual translation before I dive in which should be out by tomorrow. Berserk for me is something I have to observe both the art and the story to truly get the most out of it. Still... I'm tempted lol
Yeah I barely skimmed the beginning and ending of that post. I need the art and the actual words to enjoy Berserk not just a text summary.

The new chapter was great, but man....pretty much the whole time I was reading it I got death flags. I know people have mentioned before that they think Elfhelm will be attacked soon, but this is the first time for me that I've felt like that will probably happen. Things seem too calm right now, and it feels as if something big is due to happen. I hope I'm wrong, because I'm kinda worried now! : (

It was really nice to finally see Serpico in the spotlight too. He's been pushed to the side for way too long! Overall I'm loving these recent chapters. I'm pretty sure we've got two more to come before another hiatus. Once chapter 351 is out the anime will be done, and volume 39 will be done too, so chances are Miura will go on a break then. We need to savour these chapters!

HStallion

The translated episode is out. Damn that was a good chapter and it was a sharp juxtaposition between the people partying in the real world and the harrowing events going on inside Casca's mind. It was especially nice to actually see Guts finally opening up and talking about his feelings and thoughts on his journey with his comrades. Same for seeing Serpico finally open up and all while everyone was getting drunk.

Other random thoughts and notes:

- Seeing Isma getting drunk and then transforming and ruining her underwear was funny.
- Seeing Puck and Magnifico forced to act as servants for their coup was also very funny.
- Seems we now see how this works to fix Casca. They have to collect the pieces of her shattered doll form.

Veelk

Banned
I'm still genuinely worried for how Miura will handle the reunion of Casca and Guts, but so far, he's been nailing it. This is was the absolute right moment for Guts to reflect on his life and his companions. The tension of Casca returning is being built perfectly.

Gulz1992

Great episode. It's quiet and reflective moments like this that I love the most about Berserk. Can't wait for Farnese and Schierke to see more of Casca's memories.
One thing I find very interesting is the idea that they're able to experience Casca's feelings during these memories. Really makes me concerned about what's going to happen if/when they get to her rape.

Great chapter. Was nice seeing Serpico opening up to Guts about wanting to kill him...not like he'd be able to, but still. Nice seeing bro drunk ass Roderick too. The stuff with Casca is pretty interesting and it'll be interesting to see her reactions to what Guts and Casca used to be like. Also makes me wonder how she'll feel regarding the tragedies that have happened to Casca.

HStallion

Great chapter. Was nice seeing Serpico opening up to Guts about wanting to kill him...not like he'd be able to, but still. Nice seeing bro drunk ass Roderick too. The stuff with Casca is pretty interesting and it'll be interesting to see her reactions to what Guts and Casca used to be like. Also makes me wonder how she'll feel regarding the tragedies that have happened to Casca.

Shit I might start tearing up if they really start reliving some of the good moments with the Band of the Hawk. Its weird but I don't think I'm gonna be able to handle seeing those characters again in what will be no doubt be an incredibly personal moment by the very nature of the place they're in. They still have a lot of pieces of Casca to recover from the small chunk they just found. Don't you tear my heart out Miura!

Shit I might start tearing up if they really start reliving some of the good moments with the Band of the Hawk. Its weird but I don't think I'm gonna be able to handle seeing those characters again in what will be no doubt be an incredibly personal moment by the very nature of the place they're in. They still have a lot of pieces of Casca to recover from the small chunk they just found. Don't you tear my heart out Miura!
I actually wouldn't mind this approach. There's a lot of shit Schierke and Farnese don't know about the drooling Casca and Guts. In order for it to come off right you pretty much should be mentally fucked while roaming around in Casca's head.

HStallion

I actually wouldn't mind this approach. There's a lot of shit Schierke and Farnese don't know about the drooling Casca and Guts. In order for it to come off right you pretty much should be mentally fucked while roaming around in Casca's head.

I'm not saying it won't be something I enjoy in the end but its gonna be rough if we have to relive the good stuff before the fucking Eclipse hits us again.

Veelk

Banned
Nice seeing bro drunk ass Roderick too.

That's probably my one real complaint. "Roderick, we're having a guy talk where we're sharing our feelings on how we've grown. You're new, but that doesn't mean you get to sit out. Open up, bro." Perfect opening to get new back story on the guy and we miss it.

I'm not saying it won't be something I enjoy in the end but its gonna be rough if we have to relive the good stuff before the fucking Eclipse hits us again.
We need the Eclipse to be done with that distorted stick figure look from a couple of chapters back though.
That's probably my one real complaint. "Roderick, we're having a guy talk where we're sharing our feelings on how we've grown. You're new, but that doesn't mean you get to sit out. Open up, bro." Perfect opening to get new back story on the guy and we miss it.
He's a pirate, I don't think he's got that much of a dark backstory though, it's kind of obvious just with the snippets he does say. He's not like any of the guys from the first Band of the Hawk where they were tagging along with Griffith so Griffith can help make their dream come true. Roderick's just there because A) he's following his wife and B) it seems like it's fun for him. Correct me if I'm reading him wrong though.

Veelk

Banned
He's a pirate, I don't think he's got that much of a dark backstory though, it's kind of obvious just with the snippets he does say. He's not like any of the guys from the first Band of the Hawk where they were tagging along with Griffith so Griffith can help make their dream come true. Roderick's just there because A) he's following his wife and B) it seems like it's fun for him. Correct me if I'm reading him wrong though.

You're not, it's just that I always think it's a good idea to play up the idea that there is more to a character.

One weakness that I perceive Berserk has is that, with exceptions, it kind of acts as soliptically as far as Guts is concerned. By which I mean that if Guts or Griffith isn't interacting with something, it doesn't really exist. One of the best ways to make your world feel real is by implying that there are always big things going on outside of the quest that the main characters are on.

So I just see Roderick not sharing as kind of a missed opportunity. He should be a character that goes "Oh, fuck, yeah, I've been on some crazy adventures myself too." I want to get the feeling that if a Roderick spinoff was announced, it wouldn't be a waste of time because he has gone on his own interesting adventures before he ever even met Guts.

I will admit that it does make me wonder what the hell the man has been through and seen. He's pretty capable and he's not a fucked up dude, yet at the same time it's Berserk, you just know the man has seent shit.

Grudy

Everytime that flashback with the skull knight appears, the chances of a happy reunion goes down and down and down :( I don't feel good when Guts is so happy and relaxed, it just means shit is about to go down real soon.

The flashback to the bonfire of dreams has to be my favorite shot in this episode though. It hit me seeing old guts again with both his eyes and a genuine smile on his face. I'm guessing we will get more scenes like when Guts left, when they had sex (that'll be fun for Farnese) and maybe something about Griffith before getting the final doll piece from the eclipse.

Qvoth

this chapter made me appreciate how far guts has progressed
but i think casca won't "come back", and guts wouldn't mind with all by now

Tacitus_

Roderick isn't a pirate, he's a lordling from the other side of the sea.

If a pirate were to marry someone like Farnese, it would be hidden and Farnese disavowed, not have the marriage announced in a ball thrown by her father.
I honestly think given how tainted Farnese is within her family that they'd be happy for anybody to take her, but you do make sense on that one. Probably most marriage conversations go like this "Take my daughters hand in marriage." "Nah son, didn't she burn down your mansion?"

HStallion

So perhaps I'm reading too much into things but I do think its a bit ominous for an already ominous setting and situation that Casca has basically a version of the Beast inside of her mind and seemingly as a stand in for Guts. We all know what the Beast is as the reader but aside from the Berserker armor transformations I'm not sure if Casca has ever actually been privy to seeing a physical manifestation of the Beast's appearance. We already know the Beast is still waiting to re emerge to set Guts back on the "right" path and no doubt ruin his life in the process and with how nefarious and insidious that part of Guts can be I guess I find it a bit disturbing that it plays so prominent a part in Casca's minds eye.

So perhaps I'm reading too much into things but I do think its a bit ominous for an already ominous setting and situation that Casca has basically a version of the Beast inside of her mind and seemingly as a stand in for Guts. We all know what the Beast is as the reader but aside from the Berserker armor transformations I'm not sure if Casca has ever actually been privy to seeing a physical manifestation of the Beast's appearance. We already know the Beast is still waiting to re emerge to set Guts back on the "right" path and no doubt ruin his life in the process and with how nefarious and insidious that part of Guts can be I guess I find it a bit disturbing that it plays so prominent a part in Casca's minds eye.
I think it kind of depends on how "off" Casca's headlights are while she's running around. They got turned on when she was almost raped by a pack of goons, she was probably...somewhat cognizant when Guts almost raped her when the beast took over, she sees him in his Berserk phase often enough. I kind of thing Casca subconsciously records stuff, she's just not functioning on a cognitive level.

Top Bottom