• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Yeah and that's on you. The manga does more than enough to sell these characters and the situations they're in. You just make the same tired complaint every time like a broken record despite it not being true for a while now.

The characters have been uninteresting a terrible for awhile now, I'll keep complaining about it for both opm and rxl until those series do something to make me feel invested in the supporting cast.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The characters have been uninteresting a terrible for awhile now, I'll keep complaining about it for both opm and rxl until those series do something to make me feel invested in the supporting cast.

Then be straight about it because its eye rolling at this point as your complaints haven't held any water for a while now.

Then be straight about it because its eye rolling at this point as your complaints haven't held any water for a while now.

I think it's eyerolling the praise opm gets for doing nothing interesting while being lauded as this hilarious parody shonen that's terrible as both a parody and as a shonen. I will continue to read the chapters as viz puts them in their English Shonen Jump magazine, I will continue to bold when I talk about them, I will continue to praise or criticize the series as I see it as I read it. I've read through the manga on 3 different occasions and sat through the anime on Toonami. I whine about other series but I can get why people like them and I don't, I simply do not get the fascination/obsession with opm and it's not for lack of trying or wanting to be a contrarian.

Boogiepop

So I read through all of Beelzebub, and it was... interesting. It kind of reminds me to Ranma with its specific balance of gags and fights, wherein it's DEFINITELY a gag manga, but it does shift into serious (or "serious") battle manga stuff frequently enough. I'd actually say it probably leaned a little heavier on the fights then I liked, though, as frankly it was kind of weak at those generally. Like, it had its moments even in that regard, but I don't think its battle moment bits are all that strong.

Also, man, again it doesn't matter as much because of the heavy dose of gag focus, but the overarching plot stuff and character development (for the most part, especially when you got away from the core cast) was just plain messy. Like, it almost felt like freaking Bleach or something in that regard (still more competent in pretty much every aspect, and affected less by this issue as mentioned above, but still... so many ideas and plot points and characters with little to no payoff.)

Btw, did the series get rushed to a conclusion, or no? Like, it really felt that way as the final fight kicked off and ended so damn suddenly and was a real step down from the prior arc/big fight in terms of attention and setup... but then there's a whole extra volume of random bonus chapters.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and it had some grear moments, but definitely felt like something of a flawed work.

HStallion

I think it's eyerolling the praise opm gets for doing nothing interesting while being lauded as this hilarious parody shonen that's terrible as both a parody and as a shonen. I will continue to read the chapters as viz puts them in their English Shonen Jump magazine, I will continue to bold when I talk about them, I will continue to praise or criticize the series as I see it as I read it. I've read through the manga on 3 different occasions and sat through the anime on Toonami. I whine about other series but I can get why people like them and I don't, I simply do not get the fascination/obsession with opm and it's not for lack of trying or wanting to be a contrarian.

Then be straight about as I just said. What you just said was far more coherent and on point than going,"Saitama is going to show up and save the day with one punch" when that has not been true what-so-ever for a while now and if things continue along with the way the webcomic went it will continue to be true. Its like complaining about the Boat shit in Berserk well after they got off the boat.

Then be straight about as I just said. What you just said was far more coherent and on point than going,"Saitama is going to show up and save the day with one punch" when that has not been true what-so-ever for a while now and if things continue along with the way the webcomic went it will continue to be true.

I don't read the webcomic, and I'll admit the weird release of viz's translation mixed with the weird release of the murata version (which I don't read the fan translation For) makes an already slow arc feel even slower. Considering 3 of my 4 times through the series have only consistent of what the first anime covered that is the stuff that still is freshest in my mind. My complaint about this monster arc is just what I'm afraid will happen in the end which will lead to my rage enduced table flip when so much of this s class and martial arts tournament drama amounts to nothing. Though I do think it's telling based upon your comments (as someone who's clearly farther in the unofficial translations) that Saitama's role in this ongoing arc is minimal which asks the question 'why is this arc in a series called opm'?

HStallion

I don't read the webcomic, and I'll admit the weird release of viz's translation mixed with the weird release of the murata version (which I don't read the fan translation For) makes an already slow arc feel even slower. Considering 3 of my 4 times through the series have only consistent of what the first anime covered that is the stuff that still is freshest in my mind. My complaint about this monster arc is just what I'm afraid will happen in the end which will lead to my rage enduced table flip when so much of this s class and martial arts tournament drama amounts to nothing. Though I do think it's telling based upon your comments (as someone who's clearly farther in the unofficial translations) that Saitama's role in this ongoing arc is minimal which asks the question 'why is this arc in a series called opm'?

I'll put it this way. I can tell one of the biggest complaints about Season 2 of the anime and Season 3 at that will be,"Where the fuck is Saitama and why isn't he doing more?". Well that and some of the uhhh more questionable characters that will become more prominent. That all said it doesn't mean you will like it either but I do think the formula does change things up to focus a lot more on the struggles of the S Class and heroes in general.

I'll put it this way. I can tell one of the biggest complaints about Season 2 of the anime and Season 3 at that will be,"Where the fuck is Saitama and why isn't he doing more?". Well that and some of the uhhh more questionable characters that will become more prominent.

Same way I imagine a lot of people will complain about s3 of aot being "where are the titans?"

So I read through all of Beelzebub, and it was... interesting. It kind of reminds me to Ranma with its specific balance of gags and fights, wherein it's DEFINITELY a gag manga, but it does shift into serious (or "serious") battle manga stuff frequently enough. I'd actually say it probably leaned a little heavier on the fights then I liked, though, as frankly it was kind of weak at those generally. Like, it had its moments even in that regard, but I don't think its battle moment bits are all that strong.

Also, man, again it doesn't matter as much because of the heavy dose of gag focus, but the overarching plot stuff and character development (for the most part, especially when you got away from the core cast) was just plain messy. Like, it almost felt like freaking Bleach or something in that regard (still more competent in pretty much every aspect, and affected less by this issue as mentioned above, but still... so many ideas and plot points and characters with little to no payoff.)

Btw, did the series get rushed to a conclusion, or no? Like, it really felt that way as the final fight kicked off and ended so damn suddenly and was a real step down from the prior arc/big fight in terms of attention and setup... but then there's a whole extra volume of random bonus chapters.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and it had some grear moments, but definitely felt like something of a flawed work.

I pretty much agree. While I liked Beelzebub quite a lot, it did have its problems. And yeah I'm pretty sure the ending was rushed. Those extra chapters were also published in a different Jump magazine if I remember correctly. Anyway, it was still one of my favorites in Jump while it was running.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Beezlebub is one of my favorite manga of all time, but its my favorite for how strong its middle to endish is(not the actual end). Oga going in against the demon corps alone is one of my favorite moments in anything. Perfect mix of humor and badass for me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Happiness ch. 30

A church named "The Blood of Happiness" is not something I'd follow a love interest to, no matter how sweet a person they are, but hey.

These Okazaki teasers are good. He's gonna be such a mess. Can't wait.

Vinland Saga ch. 141

Thorkell must really like Garm. I'm honestly surprised he even knows how to hold back in a fight.

Droplet

Blue Flag 1-6

Between this and Love and Lies, I'm starting to feel really bad for these cool gay characters doomed to fall in love with their straight loser friends.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Blue Flag 1-6

Between this and Love and Lies, I'm starting to feel really bad for these cool gay characters doomed to fall in love with their straight loser friends.

The struggle of gays everywhere.

Engaged to the Unidentified Vol.7 Ch.9
It's nice to see progress made in Hakuya and Kobeni's relationship. Not in a "thank god finally" way but in a way that was genuinely heartwarming.

Good job turning a half drunken sign of appreciation into a legit one.

Lady Ayane is a Sanova B**chi 13

DFju1oaUAAEhqXK.jpg

Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 4-5

Geez, so many student/teacher relationships in here and the series treats it like they're pretty much perfectly normal.

barber

Noblesse 469
Maduke, you are reaaally stupid. You tell someone stuff to anger him and start losing and ez fight, then fuck up and try to kill your race just to be about to fuck up. Stop collecting Ls

Kaguya 72

Corruption complete? LOL

Kinda sad to hear but at least it gonna be officially available, just have to wait a few years,

Noblesse 469
Maduke, you are reaaally stupid. You tell someone stuff to anger him and start losing and ez fight, then fuck up and try to kill your race just to be about to fuck up. Stop collecting Ls

Nah he gonna catch them all, to be the L master.

Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 6

lol wat. The truth about the disaster when all of the cards were gathered was probably the corniest shit I've read in a long time. And everyone was attracted to Yukito just because they had compatible magical affinities? okay.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I expected when I started reading this but I really didn't expect it to be this... underwhelming? It just kind of feels like absolutely every aspect of the story has been underutilized so far. All the encounters with the cards are over way to quickly, the 'romance' aspect is pretty much just all characters smiling and blushing at each other, everyone barely has any characterization, and there's way too many times when a page will just have 2 or 3 speech bubbles with a character surrounded by a bunch of flowers looking pretty. I do know that the anime ended up expanding on a lot of the story (obviously since it was 70 some episodes, ad judging by the pacing of the first half of the series, as a whole it definitely wouldn't end up being even close to that long, maybe 26 at best) but comparing this to what I remember watching as a kid, it's like comparing the one-shot version of a series to the full serialized version.

Peco

Blue Flag 1-6

Hmm, I only read the first 4 chapters and I genuinely did not get the impression of Touma being gay for Tai (that's what you're saying here, yes?). Dunno how that's going to change in just two more chapters or if I wasn't paying enough attention to the characters interactions. :/

DNAbro

Hmm, I only read the first 4 chapters and I genuinely did not get the impression of Touma being gay for Tai (that's what you're saying here, yes?). Dunno how that's going to change in just two more chapters or if I wasn't paying enough attention to the characters interactions. :/

They reveal it in the next. A lot of his actions, glances, and words make more sense with that context.

asagami_

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 6

lol wat. The truth about the disaster when all of the cards were gathered was probably the corniest shit I've read in a long time. And everyone was attracted to Yukito just because they had compatible magical affinities? okay.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I expected when I started reading this but I really didn't expect it to be this... underwhelming? It just kind of feels like absolutely every aspect of the story has been underutilized so far. All the encounters with the cards are over way to quickly, the 'romance' aspect is pretty much just all characters smiling and blushing at each other, everyone barely has any characterization, and there's way too many times when a page will just have 2 or 3 speech bubbles with a character surrounded by a bunch of flowers looking pretty. I do know that the anime ended up expanding on a lot of the story (obviously since it was 70 some episodes, ad judging by the pacing of the first half of the series, as a whole it definitely wouldn't end up being even close to that long, maybe 26 at best) but comparing this to what I remember watching as a kid, it's like comparing the one-shot version of a series to the full serialized version.

The anime is a lot better in that regard. In fact the manga just do a few things better: the relationship between Clow and Sakura'
s family
and how the final arc is developed and maybe about how early in the story Syaoran and Sakura start calling each other by their names.

Kannou Sensei by Motoi Yoshida ( Natsu no Zenjitsu , Koi Kaze )

She's back and we'll get invested again!

That's so pretty! I'm going to check it.

wamberz1

Rokudou no Onna-tachi 49

Well I certainly didn't see that coming. (also kind of unneeded? He probably could have wooped their asses without the betrayal.)
I hope they free Raino and she joins main cast after this, she's great.

Zweizer

Banned
Nukoduke! ch104

So many nukos now.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch49

Yeah that was not foreshadowed at all. Raino was shown smitten with Rokudou at all time beforehand.

jman2050

Kaguya 73

Iino has to be regretting taking this job at this point, right? Truly a classic Monkey's Paw scenario.

Shirogane is too self-conscious, shoujo manga is a patrician man's taste.

Kaguya: Have Viz (or whoever now is doing the official release) already started releasing chapters?

Edit: Also, Zweizer I'm now up-to-date with your Zweizering, got any new ones to recommend?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Koi to Uso: Love and Lies (Viz style translation)

Picked this up after watching the anime and obviously the beginning is really similar.

My biggest problem here is that it's way too obviously set up for the viewer/reader to like Lilina's character a lot more than Takasaki's character, so its not really intriguing which way it will go - you just assume it goes Lilina route and probably get pissed if/when it doesn't. The comments sections on these chapters are like 50 comments of people saying "Lilina best girl" but that seems like the obvious take because the author intentionally made Takasaki super generic.

It's also annoying they don't do a very good job explaining you can just not marry your assigned partner. It just makes you look bad.

Zweizer

Banned
Edit: Also, Zweizer I'm now up-to-date with your Zweizering, got any new ones to recommend?

Friend by Ichiro, a cute vanilla story about your usual pair of childhood friends, one of which is a tomboy. Bonus points for the tomboy being named Tomo.

I Don't Remember Tripping that Flag!! by Gentsuki, another standard vanilla childhood friends pair story, this time about two geeky students and their video games club.

Crossdressed Kouhai-kun x Man-Hater-chan by Shomu, starring a rather violent man-hating gyaru and her very effeminate classmate. The whole 'lesbian or not' stuff comes off as awkward however, and could just have been omitted.

Kick or Sex? by Shinozuka Yuuji, portraying a boxing gyaru milf. Art is rather rough, but hey, there's a boxing gyaru milf in it.

In more Battleship-related news, there's I made a gibberish speaking cyclops girl my maid (and its sequel) by Akuheki, about a tribal cyclops with a language barrier, is pretty cute, and not all that weird or dangerous, despite what she looks like. Be careful about recklessly holding hands however.

Endorsed by our favorite Battleship, Angel's Paraphilia by Shichoson, starring a cast of users with special sexual abilities, competing in the Succumancy tournament, being challenged by the newly arrived heroine, who is surprisingly without any ability, but instead is trained with a host of secret techniques to counter all. Nonstop raunchy yuri sex, and better than Hero Academia. Let's hope it gets either a sequel or a proper serialization.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That feeling when you already read all zweizer stuff before he recommended it

Yeah but if you read literally anything it's probably a zweizer recommendation somewhere

Kieli

Tsuredure Children

Oh, I apparently skipped a bunch.

Things I like: the nerdy wingman-bro guy actually got a cute girl just like his loser friend.

Things I don't like: every single girl looks the same with a different haircut so it literally wouldn't matter what the girl looked like, of course she's cute.

The arts seriously gotten uglier. I didn't think that was possible, but it's true. All characters have bizarre proportions to their face. Sharp chin, weird noses.

Kinda reminds me of the Hayate butler or whatever it was called. That art also got worse.

Angry Grimace

Love and Lies 27

Did Takasaki just throw shade at that guy for being gay? I knew I thought she sucked.

Angry Grimace

Monthly reminder that World's End Harem is still being made and MC has still not had sex with anyone. Even the nerd guy has gotten laid. Twice.

Isekai Goumon Hime 3
I feel like there must be some additional context to the whole 'brutally torturing and murdering women, children and the elderly' thing, otherwise Elisabeth is... kind of a jerk. I mean, I'm totally onboard with it, but it'd be really unusual to have such an unambiguously twisted lead heroine. The action scenes in this manga are pretty hard to follow at times, but everything comes together nicely for the climaxes. Or comes apart nicely in this case.

In more Battleship-related news, there's I made a gibberish speaking cyclops girl my maid (and its sequel) by Akuheki, about a tribal cyclops with a language barrier, is pretty cute, and not all that weird or dangerous, despite what she looks like. Be careful about recklessly holding hands however.
Yeah, I wanted to make a post about this entirely in her gibberish language. But then realised I couldn't read it. Or write it.

Incidentally, that monoeye Kickstarter made it with 24 hours to spare!

Fbh

My Hero Academia 146:
I think the overall battle would have been more fun if it wasn't interrupted by a flashback. Nothing against the flashback intself but keep it to either before or after the fight, not right in the middle.

One Punch Man 78
Since the dude didn't turn into a demon at the end this just felt like a filler. Kinda dissapointing considering new chapters are rather infrequent.

The Promised Neverland 47 & 48

Interesting. I wonder how the demon and human world got divided specifically. Are they like different realities? Or is there like an actual barrier or magic wall or something? Guess we will find out in time.
Chapter 48 felt a bit fillerish but this manga has been pretty great so one boring chapter every now and then is ok.

Dr Stone 20
See? even this guy understood the fact that the earth isn't flat pretty quickly.

Hunter X Hunter 365
Man I missed HXH. These mind games between the various parties are great and you can really feel the tension of the moment.

Dragon Ball Super 26
LOL that was REALLY bad. Is this how the arc ended in the anime too?.
I was sort of enjoying this arc but that ending utterly destroyed it.
King of all ex machina

Angry Grimace

Damn dude, that's sad.

But the author is obsessed with plot (like actual plot) so they basically just lied to the nerd guy to convince him he was a suave badass who just happened to be picking up beautiful women but he figured out that it was a set-up pretty fast.

I won't be surprised at all if he drops out like the MC did.

It's really bad, but its kind of like a weird trainwreck; the series' whose premise is literally a masturbatory male fantasy world but the author is fucking it up but you want to see how badly he can miscalculate what someone reading this shit is looking for.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But the author is obsessed with plot (like actual plot) so they basically just lied to the nerd guy to convince him he was a suave badass who just happened to be picking up beautiful women but he figured out that it was a set-up pretty fast.

I won't be surprised at all if he drops out like the MC did.

It's really bad, but its kind of like a weird trainwreck; the series' whose premise is literally a masturbatory male fantasy world but the author is fucking it up but you want to see how badly he can miscalculate what someone reading this shit is looking for.

I mean, he still got laid twice though.

Angry Grimace

I mean, he still got laid twice though.

Right, but the 2 that were successful basically tricked him into it (they didn't really tell him about the repopulation plan) because just like MC he probably will stop fucking them when he realizes that he needs to impregnate them to save the species.

Because fuck humanity and fuck having sex.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, I wanted to make a post about this entirely in her gibberish language. But then realised I couldn't read it. Or write it.

Incidentally, that monoeye Kickstarter made it with 24 hours to spare!

Seems like it's pretty much Japanese hiragana, lol (which admittedly is gibberish to anyone not well-versed in moonspeak):

And great news concerning the kickstarter. Good to see that your passion is shared by, or has enflamed many~

DNAbro

My Hero Academia Vigilantes 3-10

Don't know why I didn't keep reading this. Was so glad to see Tenya's brother in that one chapter. Seems like he is as good as Tenya said he was. Also didn't expect to get Stain's origin from this. I just kind of assume he came out of nowhere.

Curious how many years earlier that this series takes place. Seems like 3-4. Makes me also wonder if the bee girl was working for Overhaul and this was like a test run of that drug. Or he could have got it from someone else I guess.

Top Bottom