• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarForge - Infinite Voxels

domlolz

Banned
they make that physics driven player movement look fun in the video but it's bloody awful in game and it looks like they haven't changed anything in that latest video

e: yeah the engine is good tho

Raxum

they make that physics driven player movement look fun in the video but it's bloody awful in game and it looks like they haven't changed anything in that latest video

e: yeah the engine is good tho

Yeah I had a few problems getting used to the physics-based movement, but I'd assume it's something that you need to adjust to. Those guys would know how to play it because they spend all their time with it.

I'd like to wait until they see it as at least beta-worthy to play it again and see if I can get an idea of what they want the final game to play like.

muffs92

Finally got into the alpha and this game has so much potential.
With mod support this game could provide the means to make some good space horror mods.

Finally got into the alpha and this game has so much potential.
With mod support this game could provide the means to make some good space horror mods.

Absolutely. The depth demo, where you're jumping down through the caverns...for something that, at the moment, isn't anything more than a basic showcase, it has a great ambience. The physics-based nature of it all is good, if a little wonky. Looking forward to further updates.

muffs92

Even if they don't make much more than 100k I hope they can find the time to implement some of the other features.
I would love to build a nuke launcher and aim it at an oncoming asteroid in the hopes of preserving the planet and whatever structures I have built.

p2535748

I'd love to contribute to this, but thanks to indiegogo's insistence on using Paypal for payment processing, I can't (yes, I know you can also use credit cards, but PayPal has crazy restrictions on that as well).

Not that this is the place for this discussion, but I'd really love PayPal to die a swift, painful death. Dealing with them is consistently infuriating. Thank god kickstarter uses amazon payments.

Back on topic, this looks awesome, and I can't wait to contribute/purchase it when it's available via a payment system I can actually use.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
So, this game is on Steam now. Any impressions? It looks great, but I don't know how much fun I can have with a sandbox generator... How good is the "freedom"? Possible to fly to other planets?

Rekubot

Can anybody who has bought Starforge confirm if it has working multiplayer over LAN? The Steam page says it does but it might be one of those work-in-progress features. I'm thinking about giving it a try this weekend.

I was actually looking for another game where you explore different planets with their own species. Graphics are not as good as this, anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?

I seem to remember a video with species with really long legs lol

EDIT: found it. It's called "planet explores" DUH. Kinda the same game, no?

Shoyz

I bought it.

The building controls, while they threw me for a loop at first, are a huge step up from Minecraft. It works on layers, where you build a single block (right click), then position the aim on top of that block, hold left click, and blocks will be instantly placed everywhere you point your mouse on the same layer.

In Minecraft, to build a bridge in midair you had to tip-toe to the edge of the bridge and peek over it until you can see the end, and build a block on it. Rinse, repeat. Tedious!

In StarForge, all you do is point at the block you're standing on, hold left click, start running.
(Also works amazingly for building a floor)
I can build a house in like, a minute.

The other -huge- potentials this has over Minecraft are its combat system (if they can make the gun combat fun), and it's RPG-like skill system. It's a lot like if you meshed the mechanics of Minecraft and Terraria together, actually.

KDR_11k

The other -huge- potentials this has over Minecraft are its combat system (if they can make the gun combat fun), and it's RPG-like skill system. It's a lot like if you meshed the mechanics of Minecraft and Terraria together, actually.

How far along are those?

Shoyz

How far along are those?

Zilch. At least for the Skill systems.
For the combat there's a set of 'procedural' guns (and a Chainsaw) but their values aren't balanced at all yet, and there's only a placeholder enemy to shoot at the moment.

Kouriozan

I was very interested last year but it was missing tons of features, and today it looks like nothing really changed.
I think I'll still buy it and wait for updates.

Bought the Founder's Edition to support the developers since the game looks interesting, and the direction they were going with (unfunded sadly) stretch goals sounded really ambitious.

If the developers are reading this, please add controller support for us lazy pc couch gamers!

I was very interested last year but it was missing tons of features, and today it looks like nothing really changed.
I think I'll still buy it and wait for updates.

Since MAY 26TH, 2013

Changelog

New Features

Added Day/Night cycle
Added vehicles ('E' to enter/exit/flip)
First player to enter will be the driver
Can accomodate one other player as a passenger
Players can flip the vehicle back on it's wheels
Can be destroyed
Added new terrain to Creative Mode that will be better for driving around in
Added throwables ('G' to throw, 'H' to cycle to next type)
Frag grenades
Smoke grenades
Glowsticks
Hovercrafts (craftable)
Procedural forests are now physically simulated; trees respond to collisions, can bend, sway and break.
Added the "Forging Terminal", an object you can forge which allows you to extend the area where forging is possible.
Turrets will "stick" to things and remain locked in place rather than tumbling all over the place.
Turrets can be attached to other physically simulated objects, including spinning slammer turrets.

Procedural infinite terrain has arrived, prepare yourself to wonder about this randomly generated world.
Get lost in dark caverns, or scale to the highest mountain top! Every time you load in, you will get a new experience.
Be careful and keep your eyes to the sky though, a blizzard or thunderstorm could roll in at any moment!
New trees are growing freely throughout these new landscapes, though they seem to be made of some strange material, and currently cannot be harvested for wood. We are working on a cure for these sickly trees.

New user interface.
Enjoy the new dynamic UI, as it grows with you, and organizes your inventory for you based on category and type.

There has been visual improvements to the day and night cycle, including light rays from the sun.
The hot-bar now simply fades, instead of scrolling off the screen. That way it is still visible to player, without getting in the way.
You now craft throwable items, instead of having an infinite source. They are crafted in your inventory, like other items. Instead of throwing them with a simple key, you now bind them to your skill bar like other items, then simply press that key to throw them.
You can now toggle Depth of Field (DoF) in the options menu.

Notes regarding infinite terrain.
You can still play the original map from v0.36 at any time in single-player. Using the procedural terrain is optional.
Infinite terrain is currently only available in single-player mode. Multi-player will still be using the pre-rendered map from v0.3.6.
It is extremely resource intensive, especially if you have trees enabled.
This feature is still very much new, and crashes are likely. This is due to the high memory usage of the terrain creation.

oipic

So it seems that the Survival type mode isn't in yet. Has the developer given any sort of time table?

'Completion' late 2014, I believe - sorry, I can't find the link right now, but I believe it was stated in an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun recently. I don't think a more granular timetable, or details of planned milestones along the way has been shared with us, though.

ReconPeon

I was actually looking for another game where you explore different planets with their own species. Graphics are not as good as this, anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?

I seem to remember a video with species with really long legs lol

EDIT: found it. It's called "planet explores" DUH. Kinda the same game, no?

That's what I thought this game was until you posted that. I kind of like the looks of planet explorers more.

rexor0717

Judging by this thread, I take it that not many people are playing this. For those who are, is it worth buying into now? I played a demo a few months back, and wasn't too impressed, but I liked their concept.

Woorloog

Banned
This game is on flash sale on Steam.

Is it any good? Or is it just Minecraft with fancier graphics, ie non-existent depth (mere survival is not interesting, especially if it is too easy and/or annoying like having hunger meters).

Top Bottom