• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 PC Screenshot Thread

OtisInf

37810088161_1000d08663_o.jpg

Tools: https://github.com/FransBouma/InjectableGenericCameraSystem/tree/master/Cameras/TEW2. The hud toggle link is included in the readme. The HUD toggle is needed to get timestop in cutscenes. See the readme for details.

Enjoy!

OtisInf

Nice, but what's with the visible seams between some of the tiled textures on the sofa and table?
something called 'idTech 5' and its megatexture I think. I saw them too (they're also in the couch texture), but couldn't get rid of them. It looks like rounding errors of the indexing in the textures, hence my guess it has to do with the megatexture feature, but other than a guess I don't know (and nor do I a way to fix it... the game has some terrible texture work anyway. The couch texture for instance in this shot... it's so low res. As if they used the ps4/xbox1 texture assets for the PC and not higher-resolution ones)

MrPickle

something called 'idTech 5' and its megatexture I think. I saw them too (they're also in the couch texture), but couldn't get rid of them. It looks like rounding errors of the indexing in the textures, hence my guess it has to do with the megatexture feature, but other than a guess I don't know (and nor do I a way to fix it... the game has some terrible texture work anyway. The couch texture for instance in this shot... it's so low res. As if they used the ps4/xbox1 texture assets for the PC and not higher-resolution ones)

If you look closely, you can see those seams on the ATM machine, table, hanging picture & wall too. Really odd.

I see. Bummer, hope it gets fixed or you find a solution. Thanks for the info.

dr_rus

Don't force AF.

Coreda

Experiencing another issue with Dishonored 1 that I thought I may as well request feedback with. For some reason SGSSAA anti-aliasing doesn't seem to be applied in the same way as I've seen it in other poster's screenshots in the past. I've tried all the AA compatibility bits suggested for the Nvidia Inspector in guides and posts (including jim2point0's old config that I salvaged from the archive.org mirror) but it's not as smooth as his (or others') screens. I wonder if such posters were all additionally downsampling or SGSSAA isn't properly being applied for me.

On some edges the AA is smooth though, so it's strange. I have some light ReShade LumaSharpen enabled but there are unpleasant AA edges and lines even with no shader applied.

Examples (with selections blown up 200%):

Vs examples from jim (from a Reddit post of his), and Dennis (RIP), respectively:

Smooth as silk in their SGSSAA examples, even for distant objects like wires.

Yeah that doesn't look right at all. I'd wager both Jim and Dennis used downsampling in combination with SGSSAA in those shots, downsampling is very apparent in Dennis' shot. Try pulling out all ReShade dlls and to troubleshoot use default negative LOD bias and leave Transparency Multisampling disabled like this:
KFYIwk.png

You should get a rather blurry image with pretty much no aliasing if it's working. Then adjust negative LOD bias until the image becomes crisp for your liking, don't use ReShade's sharpening techniques to clear up driver level SGSSAA.
Be sure to download the latest Profile Inspector in case you haven't got it already:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts

I wonder if such posters were all additionally downsampling or SGSSAA isn't properly being applied for me.

I was. 2880x1620 -> 1920x1080.

You could always try cranking SGSSAA to 8x as well. But these days, I'd do straight downsampling from some crazy resolution just because it's easier than messing with inspector and my hardware is much more powerful.

Coreda

Yeah that doesn't look right at all. I'd wager both Jim and Dennis used downsampling in combination with SGSSAA in those shots, downsampling is very apparent in Dennis' shot. Try pulling out all ReShade dlls and to troubleshoot use default negative LOD bias and leave Transparency Multisampling disabled like this

You should get a rather blurry image with pretty much no aliasing if it's working. Then adjust negative LOD bias until the image becomes crisp for your liking, don't use ReShade's sharpening techniques to clear up driver level SGSSAA.

Thanks. Actually tried all that already (including removing ReShade, etc), both with the default LOD bias and with -1 negative bias for the 4x multisampling settings. For the AA compatibility bit suggested by jim it apparently requires the in-game AA to be disabled but the result is terrible, and regardless of the four different bit compatibility codes used (listed as being compatible) they only appear to work best with the in-game MLAA enabled. *Shrug*

I was. 2880x1620 -> 1920x1080.

You could always try cranking SGSSAA to 8x as well. But these days, I'd do straight downsampling from some crazy resolution just because it's easier than messing with inspector and my hardware is much more powerful.

Right, yeah, I'd be doing downsampling as well but using a 21:9 res on a 16:9 monitor I'd need to set the GPU scaling to 'Aspect Ratio', and the last time I changed the scaling I couldn't go back to the 'No scaling' setting in some games for whatever reason (eg: TW3 which continued to scale to the monitor res for sub-native resolutions until I re-installed the graphics driver). So was hoping to use that rumored silky SGSSAA... but apparently they were just downsampled examples :p (posts like this and this are rather misleading in that regard tbh).

Edit: I could just change the native monitor res globally... something that had slipped my mind. Probably the best idea in my case.

These are literally the worst screenshots on the internet.

But seriously, I hope to see you guys around elsewhere. Hopefully on some other image friendly forum. Or Flickr :)

OtisInf

So uhh, as this thread has gone a lot more silent during this year and now with all the crap happening I'm wondering how many people are going to be left posting in this thread...
In case many are leaving should we pop up a new screenshot thread on some other forum? Man this thread is pretty much the only reason I'm even a member in here. So many talented shooters post here regurarly and it would be such a waste if this thread just dies out.

So uhh, as this thread has gone a lot more silent during this year and now with all the crap happening I'm wondering how many people are going to be left posting in this thread...
In case many are leaving should we pop up a new screenshot thread on some other forum? Man this thread is pretty much the only reason I'm even a member in here. So many talented shooters post here regurarly and it would be such a waste if this thread just dies out.

When a new forum pops up... start a thread to discuss how it should go. Get a general consensus on rules and such and try to run it like this thread.

You can stay here but... "in an hour or so, all of this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic."

In case people stumble upon here later and if this'll still be up, I'll probably move this thread over to SL&ENT in a few days so stay tuned there if interested.
Well at least it's been wonderful sharing all these great screenshots with you my friends, I hope to see you all around sometime.
A Far Green Country

Timu

I'm not a big fan of the site converting\compressing your images. But overall I do enjoy that forum. Especially after buying a new video card.
It does? I don't think I've ever remember that happening. Do you upload from a folder on your PC or use URLs?

Overclock was fine... if a bit on the slower side. People spam like 20-30 images in 1 post sometimes too. Then you get that guy who's all like "spoiler all those screenshots so they're hidden boooo."

It's been a while though so I don't really know the state of it currently. I just kinda gradually stopped posting there because the gaming discussion felt dead compared to GAF.

I'll miss the lively and active feeling that you get from such a massive userbase. Hopefully all the people leaving will keep that going someplace else.

Timu

Overclock was fine... if a bit on the slower side. People spam like 20-30 images in 1 post sometimes too. Then you get that guy who's all like "spoiler all those screenshots so they're hidden boooo."

It's been a while though so I don't really know the state of it currently. I just kinda gradually stopped posting there because the gaming discussion felt dead compared to GAF.

I'll miss the lively and active feeling that you get from such a massive userbase. Hopefully all the people leaving will keep that going someplace else.
It's not as active as Gaf, but people still post there from time to time. And yes, people still do what you said though.

Sad to see this place in the current state that it is :( so many people gone!

We didn't ask for this. But it happened, and it's time to move on.

I joined this forum for the sole purpose of taking part in the screenshot thread. So it's going to be a rough transition knowing that the screenshot threads on other forums are hot garbage. But yeah... I'll deal I guess.

EDIT: Checked out Slaent. That forums content area just seems too small for a proper screenshot thread. Everything looks like a thumbnail to me.

We didn't ask for this. But it happened, and it's time to move on.

I joined this forum for the sole purpose of taking part in the screenshot thread. So it's going to be a rough transition knowing that the screenshot threads on other forums are hot garbage. But yeah... I'll deal I guess.

EDIT: Checked out Slaent. That forums content area just seems too small for a proper screenshot thread. Everything looks like a thumbnail to me.

Yehh that's right about Slaent, you have to open each image in a new tab as well if you want to see a shot in it's original full size. Not the best for a screenshot thread but it's an ok start.

Yeah, Slaent doesn't seem good for screenshots sadly. Very nice OP though GroinShooter.

I'm getting images squashed to 862x435, very grainy jaggy grass. Open new in new tab is greyed out. Should be able to left click and expand.

Also for those creating websites, Traditional works best, those never ending pages as you scroll like waypoint pinterest are awful. I think 25-40 posts per page is good. Neogaf's 50 is a bit much but okay. I know you can change when logged in but most are either lurking or not logged in so if anyone is thinking yeah lets have 60 70-100 page default, that would be bad for browsing screens.

adysoft

Neo Member
I hooked my PC to an HDR TV, but I can't find a proper way to take RGB space screenshots while playing in HDR.

When it works, colors are very dark because there is no automatic adjustment I guess.

Any suggestion?

dr_rus

I hooked my PC to an HDR TV, but I can't find a proper way to take RGB space screenshots while playing in HDR.

When it works, colors are very dark because there is no automatic adjustment I guess.

Any suggestion?

Ansel can capture HDR but you'll have to convert it to SDR manually. I believe that Win10 1709 Game Bar capture was upgraded to support HDR with automatic SDR tone mapping? This however may be only enabled on Xbox One for now, I remember reading something about them disabling the feature in some pre-release build.

Top Bottom