• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia Thread - 1996 Toys R Us Holiday Ad

Oh wow I remember that ad. I was in 7th grade in 1996. I also remember the 1988 ad also. Heh.

Oh can someone tell me what game is "SORRY NOT AVAILABLE" on the 1988 ad. I know one of them is Adventure of Link. Is the other one Gauntlet?

Wow, I'm sort of confused. My first console was a 64, but I didn't start buying my own games until late GameCube days. Why the hell were $60 such a controversy when games had been a lot more expensive previously? Those $60-70 games would likely be over $100 now if they kept pace with inflation.

Wow, I'm sort of confused. My first console was a 64, but I didn't start buying my own games until late GameCube days. Why the hell were $60 such a controversy when games had been a lot more expensive previously? Those $60-70 games would likely be over $100 now if they kept pace with inflation.

Because cartridges.

wcw

Neo Member
Even with the tack on of the memory card the PS1 was such a better value than the N64 and I was an N64 kid. A PS1, Twisted Metal 2 and a Memory card was only about 10$ more than an N64 plus Mario 64 and each PS1 game was 10-30$ cheaper than the average N64 game.

Also 70$ for SNES games? and not even great ones?

Reallink

Wait, what? Gold N64 controllers were available its first Christmas in 96? Is this a US scan? I thought they didn't exist until the Nintendo Power Mario Kart 64 time trial contest then Toys R Us had their exclusive bundle in 97 or 98.

Eusis

Holy shit at $35 Game Boy games, I could have sworn they were all $20.
The first game I saved up for was Kirby's Dream Land 2, and if it wasn't $35 then it was $30. So, yeah, people talk about handheld games being too expensive but that's largely iOS and Android pissing in the pool when it comes to public perception: they've been NEEDING to go up if anything given it costs a fuckton more to make those games now and I doubt cheaper produced carts don't cut it, not if comments by those like SpaceDrake are anything to go by.

I think the most hilarious thing about that ad is how the shitty Saturn controller is more expensive than the cutting edge N64 controller. Couldn't even be a standalone 3D Controller or at least the GOOD version of the Saturn controller, but one of the worst abominations focus testing ever brought us.

Also 70$ for SNES games? and not even great ones?

ROM for the cartridges wasn't cheap in those days.

I think the CD medium is how Sony was able to retail PS1 games so cheaply. It changed things. I bought at least 10 retail games in just the first year that I owned the system.

Eric C

$200 for a Saturn with three great games and it still bombed :(

I got my Saturn that year, after Christmas I bought it myself with all the money I had been saving up. Mine had the superior controller though, not the controller advertized in that ToysRUS scan.

I remember friends at school genuinely interested and asking if it could play Sega CD games, or if the cartridge slot could play 32x or even just Genesis games. When I told them no, I could see the interest fade from their face immediately. :( "If it won't play any of my Genesis games, and I'd have to start my game collection over, I'd rather just get a Playstation."

Backwards compatibility + cheap clearance priced 32X and Sega CD games would've sold the Saturn to at least some of my friends.

Son1x

And guess what? You'll be bitching about prices still in 2024 and 2055 and 2142. Just stop caring you'll feel better. Because no matter what, you'll always think the price is too high.

Well, I'm only complaining because they don't even convert the price, just change the dollars to euro. Thats like a 30% price increase.

overcast

Wow. I thought games were much cheaper then. I was 3 when this came out, but played many of these games and others in the later years.

Milamber

Don't forget the Lucas-Film Games mail ads...

lOtVO.jpg
pKP9z.jpg

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I enjoyed gaming so much more in these years.

Maybe because I was younger, or it might even be because I didn't have to pay for the games...whatever it was...I enjoyed it more back then!

big_z

I enjoyed gaming so much more in these years.

Maybe because I was younger, or it might even be because I didn't have to pay for the games...whatever it was...I enjoyed it more back then!

internet ruined gaming. back then you saw a handlful of pics and maybe read a preview/review for a game before getting it. you had to imagine the awesome. now you see 1/3 of the game before it comes out and hear thousands of people saying it sucks without ever playing it.

Mandoric

Banned
The Saturn games are also CD, and many are discounted to $53. So MSRP was probably $55-$60. Also, just being on a disc (or download) doesn't somehow guarantee there are no costs to making and distributing a game. Weren't Bluray production costs higher than DVD?

DVD: 75 cents or less packaged
Blu-ray, in the drama era: $2 or less packaged
ROM, not counting the board and casing, never mind the packaging: Pricing is harder to find than just getting a quote, but NEC launched high-performance 32mbit chips for the N64 at $27.50 each, and only the smallest N64 games were 32mbit.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah, SNES games also had more expensive co-processors in them later in its life. Super-FX1 and 2, those chips the Mega Man X games used, etc. Sometimes it jacked the prices up, other times it didn't. I got MMX2 for $45. I specifically remember it because when the clerk at the LOCAL game shop (remember those?) told me over the phone I shouted "Jesus!" and my mom, listening in, about washed my mouth out with soap. But yeah, the kiddies whining about prices today have no idea what it was like in the golden days...whining to mom and dad for a new game, or saving up months of spare allowance.

Steam sales kind of ruin the magic of opening up the box on the way home and the smell of a brand new manual, etc.

Just for reference, in Sweden Donkey Kong Country was 750kr at release. Today that transfers to almost $113. Sick.

That's nothing. In Argentina, N64 games were $160, back then the currency was pegged to the dollar, so 160 US dollars for a game. Player's Choice games were $99, and that was considered cheap.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Everything just seemed more "magical" (if that's the right word) at that time, I think mostly due to ignorance I had about the gaming world, so many possibilities, everything felt fresh and exciting haha.

I hope to one day to find that feeling again in the future.

It's going to be a lot harder to find with the information over saturation provided by the Internet. Back then you hardly knew a sequel to your favorite game was coming until it had gone gold and the only demos you saw were at the console kiosks after it was released.

internet ruined gaming. back then you saw a handlful of pics and maybe read a preview/review for a game before getting it. you had to imagine the awesome. now you see 1/3 of the game before it comes out and hear thousands of people saying it sucks without ever playing it.

Layd Dly

I got my N64 that year with the limited Gold Controller. I still miss it. It was the only console and games I ever traded in.

Persona86

Banned
It's going to be a lot harder to find with the information over saturation provided by the Internet. Back then you hardly knew a sequel to your favorite game was coming until it had gone gold and the only demos you saw were at the console kiosks after it was released.

Exactly, which is why from now on, I'm going to try and limit the info they try to stuff down our throats before release.

I'm also hoping for a new generation that really excites me one day, something innovative and fresh. *cough*VR*cough*

Holy hell. I remember this issue. Man do I wish I can go back and purchase some of those things.

Well, shit...this is exactly what I was talking about my earlier post. I guess Best Buy has always had shitty ads.

Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, all really cheap to produce, as opposed to printing out colors that required mixing.

hang me for my double post.

kodt

Banned
Pretty crazy that Nintendo launched a system at $199, when the Saturn and Playstation were both a year old and still going for $199. Something like that would never happen today.

I think people forget that game prices were this high though when complaining about $59.99 games today. PC games sure, but I remember paying $70 for Turok on N64, and that was on clearance. (probably their parents bought the games back then and once they started buying their own games, the normal price was $50)

Wait are those dollars?

N64 in Italy was 600.000 lire, the official exchange rate makes it ~300€ without counting it was 16 years ago. And a cart was 150.000 lire.

Damn you
LLShC.gif

But yeah, I remember spending hours watching ads. Good times.

I always thought Italians just need to hit a ?-box and coins come flying out.

SonicRift

Neo Member
Stuff like rogue squadron was up around 104.99 or 110

I remember buying that on boxing day the year it came out for $55, and that was a huge deal. It got stolen a few years later, and my replacement cost me $4.75. It should arrive in the mail next Monday.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
One important footnote re: prices is that people rented games all of the time back then. Games weren't considered cheap by any stretch of the imagination, so the market and audience adapted. Also, the style of games was well-suited to this model.

This thing is just so hilariously huge

http://huguesjohnson.com/features/sears_catalog/sears-catalog-1992-pg501-GG.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The worst part was the screen was so small in relation to the size of the machine and it ate batteries faster than you could put them in lol.

Also back then didn't EB/Babbages/Software Ect. randomly charge an extra $5 on top of MSRP?

When I worked for Software Etc. the extra $5 "tax" was determined by what location the store was in. If corporate deemed you had little competition (i.e. no EBs or Babbage's in the same town) then they tacked on the extra cost. If there was competition, then it was standard pricing. I helped open the first game store in my little town so we were one of the expensive ones. Many people decided to just delay their purchases until their next trip to the nearest "city".

So true. I think the same thing hurts movies, too. But overall the Internet is great and you have to take the bad with the good.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Brings back memories. That green gameboy pocket was a present for my birthday. I got it when my dad took me to Apple Bee's for dinner. Played Marioland 2 on it then later got Pokemon Blue as soon as it came out.

Hi Reddit.

Top Bottom