• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia Thread - 1996 Toys R Us Holiday Ad

MechaX

Dear God, I remember that ad. My folks ended up getting me the Sega Saturn bundle with Sonic 3D Blast and Virtual On too.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Those game prices are nearly $100 in today's dollars, lol.

They used to throw around the term 'realistic graphics' like candy.

Ok, we still do.

Yeah, we do. Crysis Warhead looks dated to me, and it looks better than nearly every game right now. We'll look back at it in 5 years as we do Far Cry today.

Yuripaw

Banned
Everything just seemed more "magical" (if that's the right word) at that time, I think mostly due to ignorance I had about the gaming world, so many possibilities, everything felt fresh and exciting haha.

I hope to one day to find that feeling again in the future.

This very well may be part of it. Information is all over the place, we're over saturated with content, and footage of games before we even play them, it's not surprising that nothing lives up to our expectations as much anymore. I still think part of it is the kind of games that were being produced though. Look at the N64 in this flyer...system only launched with 2 friggin games, but they were 2 of the best games you could ask for. Pilotwings maybe didn't stand the test of time as much, but it was still mindblowing, and played really well. Super Mario 64 is still one of the best 3D platformers ever made, and they were smart to have it their on launch day.

Please, in Canada they were $99. :(

I still remember paying $120.00 Canadian (tax included) for a copy of Final Fantasy III (FF6) on the SNES, and that was retail price and in store at a Zellers outlet.

Any game cartridge under $50.00 used to be considered a bargain back then. :(

terrisus

From http://huguesjohnson.com/scans/ebspring91/

pg04.jpg

pg03.jpg

pg05.jpg

pg15.jpg

pg19.jpg

pg22.jpg

pg27.jpg

pg32.jpg

I always loved Electronics Boutique's catalogs.

Zee-Row

Banned
Everything just seemed more "magical" (if that's the right word) at that time, I think mostly due to ignorance I had about the gaming world, so many possibilities, everything felt fresh and exciting haha.

I hope to one day to find that feeling again in the future.

I think its just that we didn't have instant info about consoles or games coming out during that time , our only info was EGM. Its one of the reasons also wrestling was ruined for me , since storylines and signings can also get spoiled since the internet is so fast.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah I clearly remember paying (or my mom, rather) over $75 for Super Mario RPG. Also $85 for Shadows of the Empire. No idea why that one was so expensive.

Proxy

Well, it does have an affect. While many games cost millions of dollars to produce these days, the majority still don't. So, yes, manufacturing costs definitely do factor in (strongly) into the price of a game. Why are iPhone games 99 cents to 5 dollars? Many of those, especially games like the Real Racing series, have graphics that are starting to rival consoles. Yet the prices are dirt cheap because there's zero manufacturing cost. So it's kind of foolish to just say 'well games are more expensive to make so you're wrong!'

You were saying that because the cost the of the medium used has come down there is no reason ever to see game prices that high again. Which ignores the costs required to make the actual games. Which have steadily increased and while not likely to grow too much next generation will continue to rise etc... So it's certainly possible we could see those prices again.

FLAguy954

Inflation?

Yeah this. The games industry has done an astounding job avoiding it. But the onslaught of dev closures and the advent of ios pricing schemes have clouded such a feat.

On topic: Fuck, good fucking times with all those color choices. Competition was fierce and exciting back then :'D.

antitrop

I'm actually surprised I still remember the Toy's R Us ad in the OP, none of the other ones in this thread, though.

I was 11 (years, not months like the other guy) when this ad came out, just when I was REAAAALLY starting to get into video games. The Nintendo 64 launch period was the first time where I really started trying to find as much info about games as possible and bought every issue of Nintendo Power I could find.

For my 11th birthday at the end of '96 my parents rented an N64 and SM64 from Blockbuster and allowed me to have a "sleep over" party. Needless to say that was my most popular birthday party as a kid.

My birthday is December 2nd, so no one had an N64 yet (all wrapped and under the tree), so it was something of a novelty to check it out before Christmas.

Orayn

Seeing the Game Boy Pocket for $60 makes me wonder if a budget-oriented Android handheld could ever survive in the same world as the 3DS, Vita, and iPod Touch. Maybe it wouldn't be 60, but a sub-$100 device with a 3.some inch touch screen, physical controls, WiFi, a modest amount of flash memory, and access to the Android Market would be interesting.

i remember that exact toys r us ad :) my uncle bought me the vectorman genesis bundle. i played that system for years until i got my playstation in 1998.

AZ Greg

Put me in the "I remember that ad and ended up with a Saturn" camp. I wanted a Nintendo 64 but my parents convinced me to go with the Saturn due to the 3 free games.

Yeah I clearly remember paying (or my mom, rather) over $75 for Super Mario RPG. Also $85 for Shadows of the Empire. No idea why that one was so expensive.

Yeah Mario RPG was expensive and I remember I got lucky winning a $50 toys r us gift certificate and my dad paying the rest for it, my parents spent a lot on games, I love them so much :D

But I really envy kids today, so much bomba prices and sales(buy 2 get 1 free) and price glitches in stores, lol smh

I want dat gold n64 controller

Zee-Row

Banned
The argument with the expensive cart prices back in those times was because ROM chips and plastic casing were expensive to make , thats why most developers went to Sony. What was the excuse to bringing games back up to $60 at the start of this gen?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The argument with the expensive cart prices back in those times was because ROM chips and plastic casing were expensive to make , thats why most developers went to Sony. What was the excuse to bringing games back up to $60 at the start of this gen?

$60 today = $42 in 1996

That's why

RobbieNick

that's because during that generation, prices went down to $40 for console games, and during the ps2/xbox/dc/gc era, the highest price was $50. we went back to a higher price point for no real good reason.

....Inflation? That's still occurring y'know.

i-Lo

I still remember paying $120.00 Canadian (tax included) for a copy of Final Fantasy III (FF6) on the SNES, and that was retail price and in store at a Zellers outlet.

Any game cartridge under $50.00 used to be considered a bargain back then. :(

Damn! When I came to Canada back in 2004, I remember the prices being $70 plus 13% tax. I used to pay that much for PS3 games when I first bought it. Drove me mad when south of border prices were much lower overall. Thank the parity between the two countries' dollars for same in game prices.

$60 game + $25 or more in DLC.It's about the same all right.

teehheehhe actually sometimes much more than that.

Nostalgia for this? WHAT-EVAH.

Give me that 1982 Sears Catalog for the Atari 2600. That's nostalgia. This stuff, it's so recent.

And guess what? You'll be bitching about prices still in 2024 and 2055 and 2142. Just stop caring you'll feel better. Because no matter what, you'll always think the price is too high.

first party N64 games like Mario and Pilotwings were $59.99 but third party stuff was $69.99+ IIRC. Also back then didn't EB/Babbages/Software Ect. randomly charge an extra $5 on top of MSRP?

Nostalgia for this? WHAT-EVAH.

Give me that 1982 Sears Catalog for the Atari 2600. That's nostalgia. This stuff, it's so recent.

And guess what? You'll be bitching about prices still in 2024 and 2055 and 2142. Just stop caring you'll feel better. Because no matter what, you'll always think the price is too high.

In a few years...1996 will be TWO DECADES ago. Oh god...20 years...

wow $199 for a new console...

sounded very affordable back then
All those armchair analysts encouraging Nintendo to beef up the prices of Wii U and 3DS to appear more high-tech didn't know what the hell they were talking about. Golden age of gaming was consoles launching for 300 at most.

Hell the Saturn stumbled out the gate because Sega launched it at 399, PS4 and 720 will probably be 700 dollar behemoths that nerds will line up out the door for.

pikablu

Wow this is bringing back a ton of memories. Someone find an add with Panzer Dragoon Saga or Shining force III advertised.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm getting old because this doesn't strike me as old looking... I bet it would to someone under 20.

Yeah it's a bit nostalgic ;)

Man I want a fucking N64 after looking at that ad even though I already have three. That feel when Mario 64/Pilotwings came out. Nothing like it since.

BHK3

Banned
I never paid more then $40 for brand new ps1 games and less then that for SNES games, seeing those ads is jarring to me because I cannot for the life of me remember paying any more then what I stated.

I had that Sega Saturn controller, it was pure shit. The shoulder buttons were the worst shoulder buttons of all time.

I remember getting NHL Powerplay '96 for $84 Canadian dollars plus tax in 1996-97 dollars.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Back then, weekly ads for stores like Toys R Us, KB Toys, etc. were the next best thing to magazines. I would wait for the Sunday morning paper to be delivered every weekend just so I could ogle them. I've always been such a consumer whore.

Top Bottom