• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

PaulLFC

Bought this yesterday. The first time I played it, I accidentally took the wrong route, I thought the sat nav would re route but it didn't, save for telling me to go backwards (maybe I didn't drive long enough to get to roads where there were options to re route). Cue me trying to reverse a truck back down the road avoiding traffic behind me - it... didn't go well, obviously. This also taught me that there's no restart option, you have to have a game saved and load it back up.

Second time was much better, but I took a sharp turn way too quickly only a few miles from my destination, and the truck tipped over. Used the repair service, drove to my destination and then it told me to try reverse parking.

I was nowhere near being able to park, mainly because I couldn't find a good camera angle - most of them were too close to the truck, so I couldn't see what was going on behind me to judge the angle for reversing - which camera is best?

In the end I just pressed the button to complete the job without the proper parking bonus.

Tonight I'm going to set up my controller properly (only mapped accelerate, brake, sat nav and engine start so far), and look into the radio stations.

A lot more fun than I was expecting so far!

Just bought this. If I like it, I might try modding it. Apparently the UK is a bit unrealistically done according to the PC Gamer review.

EDIT: Yeah, don't expect realistic cities. London Lorry Simulator would probably be it's own game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes, but its not a 1 to 1 scale of Europe's cities though.

Awesome!

A "city" is like 5 roads and a few buildings, they're nothing more than small hubs in between the main highways.
Like this:
images
Ok not so awesome :(

george01

Banned
There were several issues with the 1st one, something like the custom music playback and also some bugs within the traffic. But all of them weren't game breaking.

Chili

I love the game too. I try and play it every night before bed. It helps take the edge of an intensely crushing Dota 2 defeat. I particularly like listening to the random European radio stations (Country Radio CZ being my favourite) while cruising around.

Bought this yesterday. The first time I played it, I accidentally took the wrong route, I thought the sat nav would re route but it didn't, save for telling me to go backwards (maybe I didn't drive long enough to get to roads where there were options to re route). Cue me trying to reverse a truck back down the road avoiding traffic behind me - it... didn't go well, obviously. This also taught me that there's no restart option, you have to have a game saved and load it back up.

Second time was much better, but I took a sharp turn way too quickly only a few miles from my destination, and the truck tipped over. Used the repair service, drove to my destination and then it told me to try reverse parking.

I was nowhere near being able to park, mainly because I couldn't find a good camera angle - most of them were too close to the truck, so I couldn't see what was going on behind me to judge the angle for reversing - which camera is best?

In the end I just pressed the button to complete the job without the proper parking bonus.

Tonight I'm going to set up my controller properly (only mapped accelerate, brake, sat nav and engine start so far), and look into the radio stations.

A lot more fun than I was expecting so far!

I tipped my truck going into my quarry delivery (after a 30minute journey!) and had to call for the rescue service to come help a truckbro out. The GPS overlay did not update, but the one in the actual truck itself (fancy truck apparantely!) did...which was kind of interesting.

Pachael

Yeah, been putting hours into this. And I mean hours - I did spend 2 hours traversing 2,000km across the continent with the radio on - that's not to even mention the great scenery that comes and goes too tunneling down the highways.

marrec

Banned
I love this game. It's perfect game for just relaxing and unwinding after a hard day.

I've been debating buying a wheel just for this game.

You and me both.

I'm kinda keeping an eye out for an affordable wheel that I can use just for this game.

WTH is wrong with me?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I tipped my truck going into my quarry delivery (after a 30minute journey!) and had to call for the rescue service to come help a truckbro out. The GPS overlay did not update, but the one in the actual truck itself (fancy truck apparantely!) did...which was kind of interesting.

Yeah, if you look at my first screenshot in the OP you can see my first "accident" in a truck. I had just bought the game and my girlfriend was watching me to see what the game was like, and we were marveling at the scenery with some Austrian trance music station or something on the radio. Got myself onto a mountain road by accident (wrong turn) and was driving way too fast for where I was. Went into a turn and the wheels squealed a bit and over she went. Learned how to call the towing service within like half an hour of having the game, LOL.

Those of you who use a 360 pad, how do you have it configured?

I have mine set up like this:

- left stick to steer
- right stick to look around
- left trigger for brakes
- right trigger for gas
- d-pad to select outside views
- X centers view
- Y shift up
- A shift down
- B horn

PaulLFC

Those of you who use a 360 pad, how do you have it configured?
I haven't configured it properly yet, going to do that tonight, but so far:

Left stick - steer
Right trigger - accelerate
Left trigger - brake
Select - start engine
Start - open GPS

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Right stick steers
Left stick looks
Right trigger accelerates
Left Trigger brakes
Bumpers control gears
Dpad up/down controls lights
Dpad left/right controls indicators

Everything else is passive enough to use the keyboard. I did have to turn sensitivity down quite a bit, and I had to configure the deadzones. A guy on youtube makes a lot of videos of the game and he uses a joystick. I might give it a try with mine to see if it's more refined that way.

Ty4on

Do you guys really use that few buttons? Edit: Finally someone who uses his indicators :p

Left stick - Steer
Click - Flash
Right stick - Look
Click - Center view
Triggers - Gas/Brake
Bumpers - Indicators
D-pad L - Headlights
Up - Horn
Right - Wipers
Down - Cruise control
X/B - Gear Down/Up (I use automatic now because it was so slow when you were in the wrong gear)
A - Trailer attach
Back - Toggle info display in the truck
Start - Was P-Brake, but I never use it so changed to Activate.

Great to see other people jumping in to this fantastic game. I also love winding down a day with ETS2. Throw on some random euro 80's channel and cruise the roads. Definitely install the speed limit mod, it makes paying attention to the speed traps much more intense. I can down shift and engine brake that fucker like a mad man after an nice 80mph burn.

This game is sensational with a wheel, clutch and H-shifter. Going up and down the gear box is half the fun. Also, if you like driving/racing games, you really should invest in a wheel, it is like playing FPS games with a keyboard only.

marrec

Banned
Great to see other people jumping in to this fantastic game. I also love winding down a day with ETS2. Throw on some random euro 80's channel and cruise the roads. Definitely install the speed limit mod, it makes paying attention to the speed traps much more intense. I can down shift and engine brake that fucker like a mad man after an nice 80mph burn.

This game is sensational with a wheel, clutch and H-shifter. Going up and down the gear box is half the fun. Also, if you like driving/racing games, you really should invest in a wheel, it is like playing FPS games with a keyboard only.

I don't like driving games THAT much though! I just like this particular one.

Any driving wheel suggestions?

I don't have the money right now, but I'd really like a budget wheel as well at some point. Throughout the year I normally spend countless hours on F1 and Dirt games and I'd probably get into more if I had a wheel.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I've been thinking about getting a wheel for a long time actually, ever since I bought the Dirt rally games during the last steam summer sale. And I know it would be oh so nice with ETS2. Maybe it's time I simply bite the bullet and get one. I mean I have a plethora of flight sticks for FSX and such, I really do need a wheel. And if I got pedals then I could use them with FSX too....

Time to do research. Any wheel recommendations guys?

Cigol

One thing I will say for a wheel in this game is that it's much, much easier to park the trailers. I personally struggled like crazy using keyboard and mouse but with the wheel its a damn sight easier and more natural. Not sure it's worth buying an expensive wheel for though. I'd recommend ebay, and maybe looking for something like the Logitech GT or G25 on the cheap.

The DFGT ($99 new) is a great entry level wheel. The pedals are so so (some simple mods you can do to improve them) but the actual wheel and FFB are solid. You can always upgrade the pedals later if you will be using it on PC. You can pretty much mix and match anything when using wheels, shifters and pedals on PC. When I got into iRacing I was introduced to the wild assortment of custom cables and USB to whatever connectors that one person in a garage makes and sells on the web. But be sure to confirm cross compatibility of different wheels and accessories before jumping in.

If you can catch a sale I would say the G27 is an ideal get. I also like to make the argument that if you think you kind of only like driving/racing games, buying a wheel tends to transition you into loving them because it dramatically enhances and improves the experience. You may want to wait until the new consoles launch to see where the PC and console compatibility falls so you can get the most bang for your buck. No reason to buy a wheel that works on PC and Xbox when you own a PlayStation and PC.

My wheel history is Driving Force EX, Momo Force, G25 and now G27. Every one was worth it.

.. And if I got pedals then I could use them with FSX too....

Some of the lower level wheels and pedal sets will have a uniform feel between the gas and brake pedal that will work for rudder pedals, but you will likely need a separate cable like the Bondar cable that allows you to connect your pedals directly via USB. Slightly higher models like the G27, Fanatech, etc will have the gas pedal feel radically different than the brake and clutch since they are trying to simulate real car pedal feel. It might be strange to have your left rudder pedal rock hard compared to your right rudder.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's the deal with Euro Trick Simulator 2 and Euro Truck Simulator being on the same page in steam? I assume I should be buying 2?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I shit you not I got stuck in a traffic jam for 2 1/2 hours game time. I took screens if you want to see, lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The DFGT ($99 new) is a great entry level wheel. The pedals are so so (some simple mods you can do to improve them) but the actual wheel and FFB are solid. You can always upgrade the pedals later if you will be using it on PC. You can pretty much mix and match anything when using wheels, shifters and pedals on PC. When I got into iRacing I was introduced to the wild assortment of custom cables and USB to whatever connectors that one person in a garage makes and sells on the web. But be sure to confirm cross compatibility of different wheels and accessories before jumping in.

If you can catch a sale I would say the G27 is an ideal get. I also like to make the argument that if you think you kind of only like driving/racing games, buying a wheel tends to transition you into loving them because it dramatically enhances and improves the experience. You may want to wait until the new consoles launch to see where the PC and console compatibility falls so you can get the most bang for your buck. No reason to buy a wheel that works on PC and Xbox when you own a PlayStation and PC.

My wheel history is Driving Force EX, Momo Force, G25 and now G27. Every one was worth it.

Some of the lower level wheels and pedal sets will have a uniform feel between the gas and brake pedal that will work for rudder pedals, but you will likely need a separate cable like the Bondar cable that allows you to connect your pedals directly via USB. Slightly higher models like the G27, Fanatech, etc will have the gas pedal feel radically different than the brake and clutch since they are trying to simulate real car pedal feel. It might be strange to have your left rudder pedal rock hard compared to your right rudder.

Does this :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015HYPOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

work on PC as well? Are there all sorts of hoops I have to jump through to get it to work on PC, or does it work out of the box?

DJ_Lae

I've been really enjoying the game, which I still find weird as there's no reason why it shouldn't be boring as hell. I just find it relaxing, especially before bed.

I have a 360 wheel, though, I should try it out. I have a feeling it won't work with the rumble, as I don't think that wheel supports proper force feedback.

Sye d'Burns

I was lured into the thread by the title (ELITE!) and then sold by the giant bomb quick look. I only played it last night for about an hour. I love the way they've implemented streaming audio.

DangerStepp

I wanted to bite on this so hard but I just don't think it would be the same without a wheel. :(

Highly considering buying one... can anyone link me to one that's reasonably priced/quality?

Edit: Totally missed the links above. $99 is still a little steep :(

For anyone interested in the game, Dunder is selling it for $4.
What is Dunder?

mclem

Excellent game, great to just drive around and listen to the radio, enjoy the view.

Only 'problem' is you need to get a wheel, it's the ultimate experience. Just not the same with a keyboard or controller.

I've not tried out my Driving Force GT on the PC yet. Looks like this is worth giving it a go on.

Is there a way to 'win', or is it just an environment to play and progress in?

Looks like the update was just some stability improvements and bugs.

http://blog.scssoft.com/

I don't know, I think $99 is very affordable for how well made the DFGT is and what it offers for gaming experience. It costs less than two brand new games and if not violently abused, will last for several years and enhance an entire genre of games. I am admittedly stubborn in my opinion regarding this, but why play racing/driving "simulations" with anything other than a wheel and using the cockpit view?

Reven

I have played the demo for this game so many times. It is devilishly fun.

I always listen to the country stations while driving.

Top Bottom