• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Ah yes, it's happening tonight.

C7-OjY1VYAAbYTW.jpg
Why would you do that to yourself?

Managed to get that knee part on the RG Strike Freedom but it took a while. I can see how that could easily get snapped apart.

Didn't realize that the Glory of the Losers manga for Gundam Wing had gotten licensed. Is that considered any good? I know it's supposed to be a more complete version with all the backstory and stuff that got cut from the anime incorporated, but that's about all I know.

Got my sister on a Gundam kick via talking with her about it. She's planning to rewatch her favorites which are Wing and SEED and asked me for recommendations which I gave. It's funny because she doesn't exactly feel Wing holds up in several aspects and admits she likes SEED the most for the side characters. She told me recently she decided to watch it originally because she thought she'd hate it, which I don't quite get.

Wheres Seed Destiny? She doesnt like Shinn Asuka?

Also I hope you suggested gAGE.

Gonna try fully painting my first gunplas, I've done lot of mini painting and such before, so just wondering best way to approach gunpla painting. Do folks primer the plastic before coloring it? Lot of youtube vids on painting it seems people just spray paint the models out of the box which is odd to me from always having to primer minis.

The plastic used in gunpla, it doesn't need washing before applying paint of any kind? There is no issues with mold release on the plastic where a person should wash the sprues with soap and water is there?

You can prime if you want a better job and know what your doing with paint. It wont hurt.

A lot of people wash their kits before painting but honestly ive also never heard anyone with modern/official kits having any mold release issues either that actually needed washing. I've not washed some and tried washing others and saw no difference.

Though never know with the older or bootleg kits id say.

Voror

Wheres Seed Destiny? She doesnt like Shinn Asuka?

Also I hope you suggested gAGE.

Well she wanted recommendations of good Gundam series. She's already seen it anyway and has a low opinion on it.

Is Age good or are you being sarcastic? I never got to watching it and everything I'd heard was that it was generally considered a waste of an interesting concept.

Well she wanted recommendations of good Gundam series. She's already seen it anyway and has a low opinion on it.

Is Age good or are you being sarcastic? I never got to watching it and everything I'd heard was that it was generally considered a waste of an interesting concept.
Don't take DTL's Gundam opinions too seriously. I watched one and half eps of Gundam Age, I watched 13 eps of Cross Ange, there's your answer.

gAGE gen 2 is one of the best written gundam stories, its a must watch. gAGE also has my 2nd fav ost and many great mobile suits (gen 2, and gen 3 especially).

The modular system works well for gAGE.

Voror

Don't take DTL's Gundam opinions too seriously. I watched one and half eps of Gundam Age, I watched 13 eps of Cross Ange, there's your answer.

I'll keep that in mind. I did mention it to my sister as an option since I didn't know enough to really say it wasn't worth. I'd be curious to see her opinion.

gAGE gen 2 is one of the best written gundam stories, its a must watch. gAGE also has my 2nd fav ost and many great mobile suits (gen 2, and gen 3 especially).

The modular system works well for gAGE.

What do you consider the other well written ones? I think what I've seen of the general concept of the series and the whole evolving Gundam thing sounds like an excellent concept that would be very difficult to pull off well, at least in regards to the former.

The ones I recommended that I was positive she hadn't seen were:
Gundam The Origin
8th MS Team
Gundam X
Gundam Unicorn (Admittedly I never saw the whole thing but it certainly looked nice from what I remembered)
Gundam Build Fighters (The first season as Try is just sort of meh IMO)
IBO to at least check out

These were all ones I'd seen in some capacity. I haven't seen most of the UC shows beyond the original series, 8th MS, Stardust, and CCA. Just realized I forgot about G-Reco too but I never saw it so I don't know how it was. Tended to hear it was rather strange.

I'll keep that in mind. I did mention it to my sister as an option since I didn't know enough to really say it wasn't worth. I'd be curious to see her opinion.

What do you consider the other well written ones? I think what I've seen of the general concept of the series and the whole evolving Gundam thing sounds like an excellent concept that would be very difficult to pull off well, at least in regards to the former.

Gundam The Origin
8th MS Team
Gundam X
Gundam Unicorn (Admittedly I never saw the whole thing but it certainly looked nice from what I remembered)

These were all ones I'd seen in some capacity. I haven't seen most of the UC shows beyond the original series, 8th MS, Stardust, and CCA. Just realized I forgot about G-Reco too but I never saw it so I don't know how it was. Tended to hear it was rather strange.
You're missing out on Turn A and Victory Gundam. Victory is essential Tomino fuckery.

Gundam The Origin
8th MS Team
Gundam X

Best written gundams

Wing
gAGE
Seed/Seed Destiny
Unicorn Re:0096
Build Fighters [1]
Origin

Currently watching 08th MS Team, which is good thus far. Also have seen half of G-reco, all of Turn A, 00, 00 s2, 00 Trailblazers, GBF Try.

Maybe also recommend Heavy Metal L-Gaim !!! It needs more love.

Voror

You're missing out on Turn A and Victory Gundam. Victory is essential Tomino fuckery.

We've both seen Turn A. She was a bit mixed on the ending but we both rather liked it as strange as it is.

Never seen a thing of Victory. Isn't it just massively bleak and depressing along with goofy stuff too?

Best written gundams

Wing
gAGE
Seed/Seed Destiny
Unicorn Re:0096
Build Fighters [1]
Origin

Currently watching 08th MS Team, which is good thus far. Also have seen half of G-reco, all of Turn A, 00, 00 s2, 00 Trailblazers, GBF Try.

Maybe also recommend Heavy Metal L-Gaim !!! It needs more love.

I'm not sure I rate Wing or SEED too highly in terms of writing, though I don't think either is terrible. It's been some time though so I may need a rewatch. I can't agree in any capacity that Destiny is well written though I'm afraid, but to each their own on that.

Build Fighters was great fun and felt like a celebration of the series in a sense and I dig Origin as an update.

Are they just straight up adapting the whole thing now? From what I can tell they've been adapting chronologically rather than in volume order which is fine I think, but they seem to be reaching the point at which we're going into the regular series now.

Heard of Gaim but never seen it myself.

We've both seen Turn A. She was a bit mixed on the ending but we both rather liked it as strange as it is.

Never seen a thing of Victory. Isn't it just massively bleak and depressing along with goofy stuff too?
Victory is weird. I like most of the cast barring a few people. Uso is a good protag, Katejina is interesting, Odelo is best bro and so on, pretty depressing though and a little over the top at times. Has a really good soundtrack too.

Voror

Yes. And it's absolutely fantastic.

Victory is weird. I like most of the cast barring a few people. Uso is a good protag, Katejina is interesting, Odelo is best bro and so on, pretty depressing though and a little over the top at times. Has a really good soundtrack too.

Yeah, that's sort of what turns me off from watching it myself. I'm just not into watching massively depressing shows where nothing good happens to anyone and everyone is miserable. I just don't get the appeal and such shows just leave me empty most of the time.

Is F91 any good or does it's nature as an entire series condensed into a movie hinder it too much?

Yeah, that's sort of what turns me off from watching it myself. I'm just not into watching massively depressing shows where nothing good happens to anyone and everyone is miserable. I just don't get the appeal and such shows just leave me empty most of the time.

Is F91 any good or does it's nature as an entire series condensed into a movie hinder it too much?
Not everyone is miserable though, it's mixed in tone. Seeing Uso being thrusted into some woman's bosom on mobile suit take off is some hilarious shit. It just kind of...depends on what's going on.

Voror

Victory is great, just don't get attached to anyone.

First few episodes is also ordered a bit funky too.

I may try it then. Did the Blu-ray release turn out well?

Wasn't that due to some executive meddling? Wasn't there some random thing where some members of the staff considered Uso related TO Char or something like that?

Wasn't that due to some executive meddling? Wasn't there some random thing where some members of the staff considered Uso related TO Char or something like that?
I think Uso being Char's grand kid is a fan theory, some more knowledgable needs to explain it again. Char did bang a good amount of women though. With Victory the execs shuffled the ep order because they wanted the Gundam to be shown in the first episode instead of like the third episode.

Paltheos

F91's breakneck speed kills it. The most memorable moment of the film for me is a cut from the villains, I believe (I don't remember where from really, and it doesn't matter), to our main character's ship and crew, who are now in a completely different location with no explanation as to why.

The F91 itself is p. cool though, and I dig the final battle too. The movie itself is no bueno though.

I think I read that they originally wanted to make Uso Char's grandson, but decided against it in the end. The leftovers of that idea are still there, which is why Uso's mom, Muller Miguel, shares a last name with Char's lover from CCA, Nanai Miguel.

And the episode re-ordering really does make the first few episodes weird to watch. I felt that rewatching episode 1 after episode 4 really helped things flow a lot better, since the first time you go through episode 1, a lot of the stuff that characters talk about just fly over your head without the setup from 2-4.

Llyranor

I really like the first 30 min of F91. Some of the animations are really great, but it feels like the animation quality went down as the movie went on (to the level of middling tv series quality at times). I do like how the main characters weren't absolutely irrational or braindead, though.

The more I think about it, the more I hate Quess/Hathaway

Victory is a strange show to try to describe tonally. I think Zeta is a far more bleaker show.

But victory has a far higher death count. There is actually quite a bit of humor in it. It has sort of serene atmosphere. It's just that when it gets serious... Boy does it get fucking serious.

It's an underrated gem. Uso is my second favorite protagonist in the series. I had high hopes for Kio Asuno. I thought he was going to be the second coming of Uso.

He wasnt. He sucked.

Victory is a strange show to try to describe tonally. I think Zeta is a far more bleaker show.

But victory has a far higher death count. There is actually quite a bit of humor in it. It has sort of serene atmosphere. It's just that when it gets serious... Boy does it get fucking serious.

It's an underrated gem. Uso is my second favorite protagonist in the series. I had high hopes for Kio Asuno. I thought he was going to be the second coming of Uso.

He wasnt. He sucked.
The mothers of both shows die in some horrific ass fashion though.

muteki

Especially none of the Shrike Team. I can't even remember the second batch getting names.

T_T

I have the blu ray release but haven't re-watched it yet. Seems as good as the others RightStuff/Nozomi have put out though. Might do it again after 0083 and 08th.

Just sitting here with a lap full of runners. MG's are no joke. So like the first part of the body instructions makes no motherfucking sense. These little fucking pieces that don't lock into anything are fucking bullshit.

Voror

F91's breakneck speed kills it. The most memorable moment of the film for me is a cut from the villains, I believe (I don't remember where from really, and it doesn't matter), to our main character's ship and crew, who are now in a completely different location with no explanation as to why.

The F91 itself is p. cool though, and I dig the final battle too. The movie itself is no bueno though.

That sounds close to what I always heard about it. Shame really.

I think Uso being Char's grand kid is a fan theory, some more knowledgable needs to explain it again. Char did bang a good amount of women though. With Victory the execs shuffled the ep order because they wanted the Gundam to be shown in the first episode instead of like the third episode.

I think I read that they originally wanted to make Uso Char's grandson, but decided against it in the end. The leftovers of that idea are still there, which is why Uso's mom, Muller Miguel, shares a last name with Char's lover from CCA, Nanai Miguel.

And the episode re-ordering really does make the first few episodes weird to watch. I felt that rewatching episode 1 after episode 4 really helped things flow a lot better, since the first time you go through episode 1, a lot of the stuff that characters talk about just fly over your head without the setup from 2-4.

It's a neat theory if anything.

So can you start 2-4 and then watch 1 or does it not really work if you do it that way given how episode 1 is done?

I have the blu ray release but haven't re-watched it yet. Seems as good as the others RightStuff/Nozomi have put out though. Might do it again after 0083 and 08th.

Pretty good then I imagine. So far I've only gotten Gundam X (only DVD sadly) and GBF and those both seemed fine.

Does 0083 hold up today? I only remember watching it back when it aired on Midnight Run on Cartoon Network (Or was it Adult Swim by then?) and barely remember a thing about it.

08th I know is still good and I mean to pick that one up at some point.

Oh hey, G Gundam is being added to Crunchyroll in like 10 minutes

No dub though, which we all know is the best way to watch it.

Indeed. I used to do a yearly rewatch of the whole series with my sisters but it's been a few years since I did one. So happy I snatched up those complete collections the moment they were released given how expensive they got. Definitely looking forward to getting the Blu-rays though.

How the fuck does this fucking cockpit go in?!!!!!!!
Edit:
Chest section is done, wasn't easy. I assume the MG is the hardest one cause this is no HG, way more complex with how you piece it together.

casiopao

Building HG Psycho Zaku is going to my bane of existence.T_T

That stupid cable break into Two_O_O

The small yellow thingy never want to go in and my hand hurt a lot now.T_T

What's that got to do with it? Bandai forced Tomino to show the V Gundam in the first episode. That's why the episode order is weird at first. Might be why the
kill count
is high too. He hated Bandai at that time.
Just making sure that there's a worse Gundam than Victory. I hate that it has such a sketchy opinion from the fan base. I know why the episode order is weird at first, I just kind of hoped that Tomino would've gained a better opinion of it in his old age, but nope, dude remains an old type.

How good is the current Gundam Mk 2 Titans MG? So far next MG's will be Sandrock, Shenlong and the Mk. 2, just not sure which I'm getting first. Have to get Shenlong from Gundam Planet, not looking to wait a month for some guy in Japan to ship it from Amazon third party. At some point I need to get holy grail Nu Ver ka, I love that suit. On top of Wing Ver ka.

So can you start 2-4 and then watch 1 or does it not really work if you do it that way given how episode 1 is done?

Could work, but, for what it's worth, they did attempt their best to make the reordering work by having a character narrate 2-4 as a pseudo-flashback sequence by commenting how it all led to the events of 1.

How good is the current Gundam Mk 2 Titans MG? So far next MG's will be Sandrock, Shenlong and the Mk. 2, just not sure which I'm getting first. Have to get Shenlong from Gundam Planet, not looking to wait a month for some guy in Japan to ship it from Amazon third party. At some point I need to get holy grail Nu Ver ka, I love that suit. On top of Wing Ver ka.

You mean the 2.0? I put that together just a few months ago. It's really solid. Joints move smooth and it's got a great look to it. I don't remember it being particularly confusing either. I don't think I put any pieces together by accident and then had to rip apart again to correct :p

You mean the 2.0? I put that together just a few months ago. It's really solid. Joints move smooth and it's got a great look to it. I don't remember it being particularly confusing either. I don't think I put any pieces together by accident and then had to rip apart again to correct :p
Cool. For some odd reason my Mk 2 has to be the Titans version. I know the suit's technically evil, but I love it in that color scheme.
Welp, MG Shenlong is on it's way.

Top Bottom