• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

holy FUCK

Amy must be piiiiiiisssssssedd

God, I feel bad for her after what's happened to her last two projects. (Not an Uncharted 4 insult, by the way.)

Amy Henning a year ago:

DMdIgCZV4AAdQ7k.jpg

https://t.co/V9SRwdXkDq

Annnnd heartbroken.

jdstorm

Banned
Obviously i'm not putting Battlefront as a good example, because it's indeed a reskinned Battlefield, at least for the 2015 entry.

EA games got a high value to the mainstream market, more than Ubisoft when it comes to specific videogame genres. A possibile RPG SW game made by BioWare for example will have a better appeal than an RPG game made by Ubisoft. Same for Respawn and Stig.

The problem i have with Ubisoft is their game design when it comes to single player games, their open world design in structure bothers me a lot, and i used to be an Assassin's Creed fan. Siege is indeed a good game, but as an old rainbow six player, i can't fit Siege in the "Rainbow Six" that i used to know for so many years, same for Wildlands.

EA has the money and the talent for the Star Wars universe, they just need to get their shit together and i'm pretty sure they will deliver some good games.

Still waiting for that RPG SW and i hope we will see it soon than later.

I wouldn't be so sure. Bioware's name is trash right now after 3 polarizing games in a row (Mass Effect 3 and its ending, Dragon Age Inquisition's post Witcher 3 backlash and Mass Effect Andromeda)

Besides all that money and talent is irrelevant if executives put more trust in focus grouped oppinions then that of experienced creative people with a successful track record.

tci

This was the only Star Wars game I looked forward to since... 1313.... Publishers continues to follow the market, instead of creating the market.

strafer

So I was thinking about creating a Dead Space Community Thread, is that something you guys would be interested in? Seeing as the franchise is now dead, would love to have a place to talk about the series.

Not sure when it will come up though, need to figure out what to put in and make a decent banner.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
basically:
untitledqfqu1.jpg

angry gamer rhetoric is the worst.
Webcomic creators, youtubers, etc....should really stop trying to talk about the business side of the industry. It's such a complicated matter yet they act like manchildren when a pub does something they don't like. Seriously, we only saw literally 5 seconds of WIP footage.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Penny Arcade gave their take

Wow, that is one pissed Tycho. Not surprised considering Amy was the featured speaker at one of the PAXs

His commentary on the strip fwiw

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/10/20/second-opinion

I try not to spend a hundred percent of my time thinking about the shambling chaos that gnaws at the periphery, but it’s hard not to notice the symptoms.

An announcement from EA on one of very few games I follow from them was stark. In essence, it told me… well, aside from a signal not to be excited about it anymore because they were going to dismantle the studio and lobotomize the product, it was an exercise in nontent wherever it wasn’t just throwing up its hands and saying “hey, we’re only a gargantuan international money factory. We’re only reacting to market forces” when they are, in fact, supermassive and consistently, strategically, aggressively warp economic space.

I can’t even pretend to be neutral on the subject. Talking with Amy Hennig at PAX West last year powerwashed my creative ambitions. I didn’t even think I had them, precisely - I just followed my bizarre dementias wherever they carried me off to. I met her for about an hour and emerged a new creature, and I suspect I’m not the only one.

Look - we’re chasing the best writers out of this industry. If they aren’t at the indie tier, a dangerous place where one bad game - or one good game that simply doesn’t sell enough - will blast your best stratagems into atoms, you’re on notice. That’s what this is, more or less. Visceral put three and a half years into a single player game with one of the best properties in the world written by one of the most consistent, thoughtful, artists the medium has ever seen. I don’t like to tell people what to make. I make things too; it’s annoying. But they were already making it. And if you’re not going to bet with your winnings, if it’s purely a matter of stripmining a community, there are dimensions to this behavior that I’m not going to ignore.

Gamezone

Gold Member
What's the point in canceling it? Wasn't the release set for next year? Isn't it better to just finish the game and work on another project at the same time? A story based Star Wars game will sell well no matter what.

SArcher

Banned
Bioware will probably follow soon. Mass Effect is dead and Mike Laidlaw (DA) has left (plus tons of other people over the last ten years).

SJRB

Gold Member
What's the point in canceling it? Wasn't the release set for next year? Isn't it better to just finish the game and work on another project at the same time? A story based Star Wars game will sell well no matter what.

Speculation at this point. Just because they slapped a date on it, doesn't mean the game is anywhere near release-ready. Who knows in what state the game was in.

I mean, they could've pulled a Konami and release a half-finished game, but sometimes it is better to cut losses.

LastNac

Vague isnt it, visceral just made 4 3rd person games in a row (dead space 1,2,3 and dantes inferno), saying "EA" doesnt have expierence is pointless here.
Plus a lot of insiders blamed Steve for DS3, ofcourse comments after he left he studio wouldnt be so rosey
But Hardline yo.

Its possible that they would have had to spend another 30 million dollars to finish it, and would have needed probably another 50-100 million to market it. So they looked at all the time, money, and resources it would have taken to finish the project, and came to the conclusion that those resources would be better off working on something else.

Bioware will probably follow soon. Mass Effect is dead and Mike Laidlaw (DA) has left (plus tons of other people over the last ten years).
Yeah without being “doom and gloom” I think their days are numbered unless they can make the Destiny-like (that honestly looks like their most uninspired game in years) work.

It was suppose to release in 2019. EA probably looked at that extra year of cost and got scared.

This is why i stopped supporting EA, they pulled the same stunt with red alert back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_&_Conquer_(2013_video_game)

''
on October 29, 2013, EA ceased development of Command & Conquer and shut down Victory Games, citing negative feedback over the economy-based experience as a reason.However, shortly after the cancellation announcement, an unidentified Victory Games staff member posted on the official forums, in the area reserved for players with access to the alpha builds, and stated that the reason for the game's cancellation was "corporate shenanigans" and not negative reception. The staff member also claimed that the official cancellation announcement was pre-written by higher-level staff at Electronic Arts.

Anthem is already shaping up to be exactly the kind of infinite grind, Games as a Service Lootbox-'em-up that EA wants these days, so I think they're probably safe. Unless Anthem fails, of course, then they're gone.

Either way, I wouldn't expect a singleplayer RPG from them ever again, though.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is why i stopped supporting EA, they pulled the same stunt with red alert back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_&_Conquer_(2013_video_game)

''
on October 29, 2013, EA ceased development of Command & Conquer and shut down Victory Games, citing negative feedback over the economy-based experience as a reason.However, shortly after the cancellation announcement, an unidentified Victory Games staff member posted on the official forums, in the area reserved for players with access to the alpha builds, and stated that the reason for the game's cancellation was "corporate shenanigans" and not negative reception. The staff member also claimed that the official cancellation announcement was pre-written by higher-level staff at Electronic Arts.

EA's handling of C&C is a whole different level of fuckery.

Impossible to feel anything but disgust for EA after all that.

Rymuth

That tweet from Zach...geez. Hope everybody lands on their feet.

This is what I’d expect a 15-yo reddit user would write, just embarassing.

Also, PA:s art looks really weird and iffy now, what happened? Just look at the eyes in the second and third panel.

You should see some other panels where their mouths are so wide that I'm reminded of those vampires from Blade Trinity.

i-hkwmrvf-950x10000.jpg

I asked the same question before and one Gaffer pointed out the artist is a fan of Ren & Stimpy's creator and wanted to move towards that direction.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
https://twitter.com/zachulon/status/921390010955284480

Also, over on Waypoint Radio, Manveer Heir offers some pretty frank insights into his time at Bioware and the current state of EA.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-ea-woes-with-former-mass-effect-manveer-heir

Listening to this podcast now, very interesting so far, thanks for posting. He talks about the smashing succes the mp cards were in ME3. I didn't even remember those were there. He said they made a huge amount of money off that. Some people spent $15k+ on cards alone... Holy shit

Timestamp: 19 min mark

border

Man if this is the direction EA wants to move toward, fuck their games

https://twitter.com/psdavies/status/921676653176160256

DMp0BybX0AAzMIy.jpg

Don't many games have Daily activities? To call this a "progression ban" is kinda just meant to incite hysteria. As far as I can tell, you can still earn XP and crates after you've hit the cap on credits.

Adding a timer on this stuff is really not a good look though, they should have just made it a "once a day" thing.

Don't many games have Daily activities? To call this a "progression ban" is kinda just meant to incite hysteria. As far as I can tell, you can still earn XP and crates after you've hit the cap on credits.

Adding a timer on this stuff is really not a good look though, they should have just made it a "once a day" thing.

EA does alot of things that aren't a good look, They're being overly aggressive with their new business model and showing their hand.

I thought Pay to win loot crates would take years to implement, slowly normalizing them so people dont get pissed off because of a rapid change to their games. EA just came right out and put them in BF2 though, makes me wonder how long it will take for full blown F2P economies and progression systems in their premium games.

Oh spare me the sanctimony. PA have no clue what happened behind the scenes and whether the project was salvageable or not.

I don't know .. if the project was in such a bad state , why annonce it ?
Why not show the game after you've set and established your foothold, after the core of the project was "safe" ?

If the project was not salvageable , then why all the assets moved to another studio ?
I know develloppement is complicated, with those huge projects , the number of variables is high to consider but isn't that weird ? the way history repeats ? The studio was NOT at their first projet , there was talented people in support , so when history repeats , i don't know i have a hard time believing that EA is a scapegoat and is in no way responsible for this mess.

jett

D-Member
They did? I think you mean Gears of War.

Nah, the jumping, climbing, platforming and uh "cinematic sensibilities" displayed in 1313 is very much more Uncharted than Gears of War. Then there's rather obvious stuff like the Tomb Raider reboot. The Amy Hennig game in question was always sold as a Star Wars Uncharted as well. And I always thought Visceral's Dead Space 2 also took a few queues from Uncharted by trying to incorporate more cinematic set-pieces.

No. Star Wars 1313 was officially pitched as Uncharted x Star Wars. That was what got it greenlit.

Nah, the jumping, climbing, platforming and uh "cinematic sensibilities" displayed in 1313 is very much more Uncharted than Gears of War. Then there's rather obvious stuff like the Tomb Raider reboot. The Amy Hennig game in question was always sold as a Star Wars Uncharted as well. And I always thought Visceral's Dead Space 2 also took a few queues from Uncharted by trying to incorporate more cinematic set-pieces.

I wouldn't say the industry at large was aiming for Uncharted. The only one I can think of is Tomb Raider. Everyone else was obsessed with cover shooters.

To be fair if they really thought that the game wasn’t good they could have ended up with another Andromeda situation. With that thought process might as well cut your losses and cancel it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's funny how much this industry once chased after Uncharted.
True. So glad that's over.

They did? I think you mean Gears of War.
Nah, at the time it was very specifically chasing Uncharted right down to having a cocky brunette white dude as the protagonist in that build. Pursuing the Uncharted fan base more and more is also what sorta killed Dead Space, and devs were really transparent about whether it was uncharted or gears they were aping:
3q1qAPF.gif

Top Bottom