• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

Bronx-Man

Banned
Fun story, the original design for the villain of Mirrors Edge Catalyst was incredibly similar to him. They changed it afterwards.

file_11194_Untitled2.jpg

25174118546_2ee595a152_o.png
That’s no coincidence

kagamin

If anyone in this thread can point me to indie/AA/whatever games with deep lore, engaging stories, and memorable casts of characters I'd greatly appreciate it. Two out of those three criteria is also fine; beggars can't be choosers. Bonus points if they're playable on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, 3DS, or PS4, because those are the systems I have access to right now.

As for AA-to-AAA stuff, I still have to play The Witcher series and I know I'm missing out. I understand that. I'm reading the books first and I've struggled somewhat with a certain issue of mine against Sapkowski's writing, but I'm still enjoying them overall. It's just slowing me down.

I've calmed my fears over what might happen to Dragon Age 4 with some much-needed sleep and more chamomile tea than even my grandmother even drank on a rough night, but I've woken up wondering where I should be looking for video games now that one of my two anticipated projects has been canned and the other one may yet turn into a Destiny-esque, too. (Because EA.)

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition on PS4 is a real good game to play while you're waiting for Divinity Original Sin 2 (one of the best games if not the best game I've played in years) to hit consoles. If you don't mind turn based combat it's a fantastic recommendation although the newest game is just an improvement in every single way.

Papacheeks

Banned
Were they working on a Last Jedi game? If so it must be pretty embarrassing to not get a game out for the release of the new movie with two years of lead time. There wasn’t a Rogue One game either. T2 and LEGO has done a better job.

No, it was a new IP with a new character set in the star wars universe. It was going to be akin to uncharted meets starwars with they way amy henig described it.

Nictel

If it was just about the business model they could have still let Visceral remake the game in a GaaS-type game ad just announce that it is delayed.

Sure and all the creative talent would have said "sure destroy our creation with your bullshit, we will happily accept all the changes you suggest". EA probably tried, the leads at Visceral said a variant of "We know what to do with the talent at our studio" and EA said "What studio?"

Seeing that this thread is mostly people shitting on EA i want to throw the idea in the room that maybe the game Visceral was making just wasn't any good. If it was just about the business model they could have still let Visceral remake the game in a GaaS-type game ad just announce that it is delayed. Instead they gave the project to another studio.
Instead of continuing to pump money in a project that's not turning out well they're just taking the assets that they can use to make a game promises to do better financially.
Maybe we might have actually gotten the single-player game if it was any good in the first place.

There isn't anything to directly imply it was turning out to be a bad game, though. Their whole statement basically revolves around this being a change because their 'testing' and market trends suggested a GaaS-based game would make them more money than a linear game would.

Just look at Pandemic,
Freaking Battlefront 1, 2 and Mercenaries with LucasArts .
Gets bought by EA at the start of 2008 who forces Mercenaries 2 out in August, game underperformed by their crazy expectations and marketing budget...

Saboteur releases in 2009 which also isn't a hit and EA kills them that same year with 2 Mercenaries games in development (1 even seemed to be a precursor to GAAS)

EA straight up assassinated them.

Pretty safe bet EA never really wanted Pandemic anyway, they just came along with Bioware. So they were on an unsurprisingly short leash. They were also one of the studios defining B-tier games with stuff like Mercenaries/Saboteur, so even given more rope I doubt they would have survived.

Not to say EA didn't set them up to fail, but that's the nature of publishing AAA games in this era.

Pepboy

There isn't anything to directly imply it was turning out to be a bad game, though. Their whole statement basically revolves around this being a change because their 'testing' and market trends suggested a GaaS-based game would make them more money than a linear game would.

In the article, Jason wrote

"I’d been hearing rumors for quite some time now that Visceral’s Star Wars game was in trouble, and that studios across EA were brought in to help give it vision and direction."

Seems more like they are trying to avoid defamation suits / end things on somewhat professional terms rather than getting into a protracted mud slinging contest. But if it was just business design there's not much need to can the entire studio.

I'm still so excited for the new possibilities. Curious what era they'll tackle, with all the buzz about new star wars films

They just cancelled the game and fired everyone that was responsible for it. I'd say that is a pretty good indication the project was not going very well.

No, i don't think it is really, not when it's EA. Shutting down studios is something they've done so many times for all sorts of absurd reasons, this was something pretty expected to eventually happen given Visceral's most recent games. If this was one of their studios that had been doing well recently then sure, it would indicate things were going badly, but the last few games made by Visceral did not do well at all because of EA's meddling and overly high expectations.

They've been close to being shut down for a while now, EA deciding it's going to cancel the game and start again would have meant Visceral then weren't working on anything, and considering they were already that close to being shut down in the first place, they've finally had a reason to do it. Re-reading their statement, it does not come across as "Visceral's game was doing badly, so we're changing it and firing them", but instead "We're changing Visceral's game because of GaaS, so we're firing them"; the explanation for the game changes comes first, then it says:

This move leads to a few other changes

Implying the games change in direction caused that closing down, not necessarily the other way around. I could be wrong but that's just how their statement reads to me.

border

No, i don't think it is really, not when it's EA. Shutting down studios is something they've done so many times for all sorts of absurd reasons, this was something pretty expected to eventually happen given Visceral's most recent games.

EA was never going to come out and say the game was shaping up poorly — no high-profile cancellation ever does that, so I am not sure why people are insistent on taking a PR statement at face value.

If EA wanted a broader, bigger scope Star Wars game there was no reason to cancel this one. They could have just had EA Vancouver start another game. The fact that they are shuttering the studio speaks to both Visceral’s inconsistency for the past 5-7 years as well as the state of their Star Wars game.

EA was never going to come out and say the game was shaping up poorly — no high-profile cancellation ever does that, so I am not sure why people are insistent on taking a PR statement at face value.

If EA wanted a broader, bigger scope Star Wars game there was no reason to cancel this one. They could have just had EA Vancouver start another game. The fact that they are shuttering the studio speaks to both Visceral's inconsistency for the past 5-7 years as well as the state of their Star Wars game.

They did that with the cancelled C&C Generals 2; admitted that what they had done so far was not good enough for the series and that their decision to move away from the campaign-based game to multiplayer-only was wrong.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/5043244/ea-cancels-free-to-play-command-and-conquer

They said the same with Tiberium and how that wasn't good enough quality:

"The game was not on track to meet the high quality standards set by the team and by the EA Games Label. A lower quality game is not in the best interest of the consumers and would not succeed in this market."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/10/ea-cancels-cc-fps-tiberium/

So they have done it in the past.

border

They did that with the cancelled C&C Generals 2; admitted that what they had done so far was not good enough for the series and that their decision to move away from the campaign-based game to multiplayer-only was wrong.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/5043244/ea-cancels-free-to-play-command-and-conquer

They said the same with Tiberium and how that wasn't good enough quality:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/10/ea-cancels-cc-fps-tiberium/

So they have done it in the past.

Those games were not meant to be the basis for a follow up project though. Like, it’s kinda hard for them to come out and say that Visceral Star Wars was poor if they are simultaneously claiming that development of it is going to continue at EA Vancouver. At the same time, it’s hard to assume the game was in great shape if everyone working on it is getting handed their walking papers. It’s not like Vancouver is some massively more qualified studio that will definitely make a better game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
@zsynqx, they'll loot-box-the-shit-out-of-it now so it doesn't really matter it it's cancelled or not. It's like:

People: Fucking EA, killed another studio. FUCK THEM!

EA: Yeah, we did, but hear us out guys, the game is not dead, it'll be different now, we gonna sell you loot boxes, you love them, right?

Those games were not meant to be the basis for a follow up project though. Like, it's kinda hard for them to come out and say that Visceral Star Wars was poor if they are simultaneously claiming that development of it is going to continue at EA Vancouver. At the same time, it's hard to assume the game was in great shape if everyone working on it is getting handed their walking papers. It's not like Vancouver is some massively more qualified studio that will definitely make a better game.

What, how is it hard to do that? That seems like something that would be easier; "Some parts of the game weren't living up to our quality expectations, so we're changing those parts and having our other studio work on it to ensure we provide you with the best experience". If quality was the reason than something along those lines would surely look better than what was basically "we're changing it to follow market trends to get more money".

What other thread?

border

What, how is it hard to do that? That seems like something that would be easier; "Some parts of the game weren't living up to our quality expectations, so we're changing those parts and having our other studio work on it to ensure we provide you with the best experience". If quality was the reason than something along those lines would surely look better than what was basically "we're changing it to follow market trends to get more money".

Keep in mind that this PR statement is meant to calm down upset and angry shareholders just as much as it is meant to placate gamers. "Don't worry about this huge delay, we're going to make a game with even broader appeal to make up for lost revenue." That's the reason for the asides about market research and current trends. Admitting that the game was in a poor state is tantamount to admitting mismanagement, which is probably not going to inspire investor confidence.

Kotaku gets it:

Jason Schreier‏: I feel like I should clarify that despite today's Hot Takes, Visceral's game was not canned b/c it was single-player (from what I've heard)
Andrew Cannon: So the EA exec makes a weird statement then...why?
Jason Schreier: Because investors don't like hearing "the project was a mess"

I would additionally note that this is not the Richitello-era of EA, where one might expect some kind of humble mea cupla on an aborted project. Nor is this some PC-only F2P Command & Conquer game that was going to be shuffled off to the increasingly small audience for RTS games.....nobody really cares about small potatoes like that. Visceral Star Wars was meant one of the crown jewels of their portfolio, so when it turns out that something's gone horribly wrong with it nobody is going to want to fall on the sword.

On second thought, the project might have been going really really bad. If this is indeed the case its not necessarily something you want to communicate to the public. Hope there will be some inside information.

Pretty safe bet EA never really wanted Pandemic anyway, they just came along with Bioware. So they were on an unsurprisingly short leash. They were also one of the studios defining B-tier games with stuff like Mercenaries/Saboteur, so even given more rope I doubt they would have survived.

Not to say EA didn't set them up to fail, but that's the nature of publishing AAA games in this era.

Had Pandemic survived to release Mercenaries 3, I honestly think they'd be around today.
Mercenaries 3 would have been a much more solid game than 2 and had EA imposed DLC and microtransactions all over it after their disappointment with 2, thats actually a decent game to do so on.

And within about 2 years EA gets the Star Wars license and Battlefront is back where it belongs.

(Surprisingly Ghost Recon Wildlands is nearly exactly what I would have expected from Mercenaries 3.)

nel e nel

There's nothing to infer it was a good game either. A 10 second teaser shot ain't shit, really.

In the article, Jason wrote

"I’d been hearing rumors for quite some time now that Visceral’s Star Wars game was in trouble, and that studios across EA were brought in to help give it vision and direction."

Seems more like they are trying to avoid defamation suits / end things on somewhat professional terms rather than getting into a protracted mud slinging contest. But if it was just business design there's not much need to can be the entire studio.

I'm still so excited for the new possibilities. Curious what era they'll tackle, with all the buzz about new star wars films

I'd say EA is trying to avoid another Mass Effect: Andomeda situation.

balohna

Should be noted that EAV was already helping out on the project. They had job postings for the project a few months ago, even name dropped Amy.

Had Pandemic survived to release Mercenaries 3, I honestly think they'd be around today.
Mercenaries 3 would have been a much more solid game than 2 and had EA imposed DLC and microtransactions all over it after their disappointment with 2, thats actually a decent game to do so on.

And within about 2 years EA gets the Star Wars license and Battlefront is back where it belongs.

(Surprisingly Ghost Recon Wildlands is nearly exactly what I would have expected from Mercenaries 3.)

I thought one of the main reasons for the fall of Padenmic had to do with the fact that they couldn't make The Dark Knight videogame on time.

duckroll

In an e-mail, an EA spokesperson said: ”We are in discussions with Amy about her next move."

I'd been hearing rumors for quite some time now that Visceral's Star Wars game was in trouble, and that studios across EA were brought in to help give it vision and direction. Now, that game is no more.

That reads frighteningly close to the claims made about Uncharter 4 under Hennig as well. What... happened? :(

Renekton

Keep in mind that this PR statement is meant to calm down upset and angry shareholders just as much as it is meant to placate gamers. "Don't worry about this huge delay, we're going to make a game with even broader appeal to make up for lost revenue." That's the reason for the asides about market research and current trends. Admitting that the game was in a poor state is tantamount to admitting mismanagement, which is probably not going to inspire investor confidence.

Kotaku gets it:

Jason Schreier‏: I feel like I should clarify that despite today's Hot Takes, Visceral's game was not canned b/c it was single-player (from what I've heard)
Andrew Cannon: So the EA exec makes a weird statement then...why?
Jason Schreier: Because investors don't like hearing "the project was a mess"

I would additionally note that this is not the Richitello-era of EA, where one might expect some kind of humble mea cupla on an aborted project. Nor is this some PC-only F2P Command & Conquer game that was going to be shuffled off to the increasingly small audience for RTS games.....nobody really cares about small potatoes like that. Visceral Star Wars was meant one of the crown jewels of their portfolio, so when it turns out that something's gone horribly wrong with it nobody is going to want to fall on the sword.
I thought investors only care if FIFA and Madden underperform?

I thought one of the main reasons for the fall of Padenmic had to do with the fact that they couldn't make The Dark Knight videogame on time.

That definitely killed the Australian Pandemic team, and yeah they were at fault there.
from redesigning the game from linear to open world and then deciding to go with The Saboteur's engine.

LNBL

That game has been in development for what, 4-4,5 years now? And they had nothing to show for it, which kind of indicates that the project was in trouble. It’s a shitty move that Visceral has been shut down now, but I won’t jump on the “ EA is the cancer of the industry” bandwagon, since we barely know anything about the state that the game was in, besides the pr message meant for stakeholders and not consumers.

Hopefully the employees find their way to different studios, saw that Respawn already tweeted about them looking for new employees.

Drencrom

That reads frighteningly close to the claims made about Uncharter 4 under Hennig as well. What... happened? :(

Yeah, could be lots of factors out of Amy’s control why this game couldn’t come to fruitation but this won’t look good at all on her resumé sadly.

Top Bottom