• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

Glass Rebel

I am not surprised.

1. They haven't made a worthwhile game since Dead Space 2 in 2011 and that was a significant step down from the original (a trend to be continued in DS3).

2. EA is all about chasing big money, that goes doubly with a property like Star Wars. It was naive of us to think that they would make a Star Wars 1313 like game. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How much do we know about their game? Aside from allegedly 3rd person action adventure that "could" focus on melee combat? Hmm, maybe that had something to do with this; even if the Visceral one was more of a shooter it's possible they thought two 3rd person single player adventure games was too many?

This was my thought as well, but I'm sure they will have tinkered with that as well. I really hope GAAS games go the way of all the me-too MMOs and tacked on MP modes of the last gen - only a couple really succeed and the rest are deemed failures.

Plasma

Banned
Just for the record, the Respawn developed adventure game led by the former god of war design/director, is "still in development", right?
Well nothing has come out to say it isn't but Respawn recently announced they're making a VR game with Oculus so that would mean they have three projects on the go.

_Ryo_

This is really upsetting. I was really looking forward to a great linear single player offline Star Wars game. But EA had to be EA and ruin that reality and it will probably now become an MMO w lootboxes and MT galore. Which means I will never buy it but it won't matter how many people won't cuz they'll just exploit the people that will buy it with MT.

Also killing yet ANOTHER studio. Fuck.

I hope that Amy lands on her feet.

Nights87

Getting real tired of this shit.

The most frustrating thing about this, and it happens every time.
1) EA tells the studio what to make
2) EA shuts down studio for doing what they were told to do.

And we see the same old tired arguments like
"Well the studio hasn't made much worth-while recently"
Funny how studios slowly decline after getting bought out by EA, or are already part of EA and are just following orders.

The EA bear hug consumes all. They are awful at managing their companies.

Hope everyone laid off lands on their feet.

It’s weird how much of a mess EA’s development has been this gen. They had tech demos/concept trailers to show at presentations like 2 years in. Outside of Dice and their sports games they haven’t put much out that have actually delivered.

Kazuhira

I'm good, I left four months ago. Sadly the writing has been on the wall for this title for some time.

You guys made a classic that will be remembered forever among the fans of the genre.
Thank you guys for giving us the Dead Space franchise and i really mean it,i wish you the best.

border

I think you kinda knew this game was in trouble at last E3, where they were like "Here's a few seconds of non-gameplay from this Star Wars game we can't even tell you the title of yet...it's been in development for 3-3 years"

Getting real tired of this shit.

The most frustrating thing about this, and it happens every time.
1) EA tells the studio what to make
2) EA shuts down studio for doing what they were told to do.

And we see the same old tired arguments like
"Well the studio hasn't made much worth-while recently"
Funny how studios slowly decline after getting bought out by EA, or are already part of EA and are just following orders.

Just look at Pandemic,
Freaking Battlefront 1, 2 and Mercenaries with LucasArts .
Gets bought by EA at the start of 2008 who forces Mercenaries 2 out in August, game underperformed by their crazy expectations and marketing budget...

Saboteur releases in 2009 which also isn't a hit and EA kills them that same year with 2 Mercenaries games in development (1 even seemed to be a precursor to GAAS)

EA straight up assassinated them.

Visceral was the last reason I gave a shit about anything to do with the EA letters.

They are making it extremely easy to NOT buy anything they publish.

prag16

Banned
Prior to this reboot, that game was further behind in development schedule. Amy hennig game was supposed to come out first
Best case scenario now is probably Respawn 2019, ex-Hennig 2020.

But 2020 and 2021 respectively is probably more likely. Astounding that to date, under this 10 year deal, EA has really only released Battlefront.

shimon

So... how many of you are still going to buy the new Star Wars game?

Please don't raise your hand

A lot. Why? Bc there is a lot of gamers who don't know/don't care about EA. They don't sit on GAF. They want a SW game and that's that. The proof of that is SWBF1 selling 16 mil.

GlamFM

Banned
I am not surprised.

1. They haven't made a worthwhile game since Dead Space 2 in 2011 and that was a significant step down from the original (a trend to be continued in DS3).

2. EA is all about chasing big money, that goes doubly with a property like Star Wars. It was naive of us to think that they would make a Star Wars 1313 like game. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

People hate on DS3 too much.

If you played through it entirely with a friend you had a fucking good time.

Banned
Sounds like they weren't happy with it being Star Wars Uncharted. Need to add loot boxes, microtransactions and an online component.

Henning hasn't shipped a game since Uncharted 3 in 2011. She's likely done with this industry. I'd be fed up if I was her and wouldn't be surprised if she moved into TV or film writing.

This is sad news. So many lost jobs. EA kills another studio. Bioware is next if Anthem tanks.

Henning hasn't shipped a game since Uncharted 3 in 2011. She's likely done with this industry. I'd be fed up if I was her and wouldn't be surprised if she moved into TV or film writing.

I wouldn't be surprised either but TBH its pretty normal for screenwriters to constant do work on projects that never make it to the screen. She should feel right at home.

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised either but TBH its pretty normal for screenwriters to constant do work on projects that never make it to the screen. She should feel right at home.
Screenwriters don't work 80 hours a week like her though I would assume? And they usually work on multiple projects a year; Uncharted 4 and Star Wars were her babies for years before being removed.

Pepboy

So... how many of you are still going to buy the new Star Wars game?

Please don't raise your hand

I'll buy it eventually. Sooner if single player reviews well.

I am kind of glad they are altering dev focus of Star Wars. No interest in Uncharted / corridor climber. It's a shame people lost jobs but sounds like they were bleeding talent.

Happy to spend a lot on microtransactions or loot boxes if its an open world rpg set in OT period, especially with ship combat and multiple planets. Maybe with star wars rebels crew as cameos.

dex3108

Fun story, the original design for the villain of Mirrors Edge Catalyst was incredibly similar to him. They changed it afterwards.

file_11194_Untitled2.jpg

25174118546_2ee595a152_o.png

That was their cry for help XD

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm not surprised at all by this, but I'm still surprised EA got exclusive rights to Star Wars, and haven't released anything but a lackluster Battlefront game to this point.

Denzar

Fookin' ell. EA's got nothing left for me.

Makes me long for the Riccitiello days. Anything but this Andrew Wilson slime.

My best to everybody involved in this shitshow. DS 1 & 2 are some of the greatest horror games ever made IMO. Visceral was the only remaining studio I had hopes for. This is a sad day.

fenners

Just look at Pandemic,
Freaking Battlefront 1, 2 and Mercenaries with LucasArts .
Gets bought by EA at the start of 2008 who forces Mercenaries 2 out in August, game underperformed by their crazy expectations and marketing budget...

Saboteur releases in 2009 which also isn't a hit and EA kills them that same year with 2 Mercenaries games in development (1 even seemed to be a precursor to GAAS)

EA straight up assassinated them.

It's never that simple.

This is a real shame for the company and people involved. I wonder if the current market dominated by microtransaction-driven games-as-a-service is in fact just a trend or if it's actually the future of the industry.

It feels incredibly disappointing to imagine a future where blockbuster single-player games that are essentially complete out of the box are no more. While it's nice that independent games and lower-budget fare on digital storefronts can thrive in this future, I feel like the days of high-quality AAA games in this vein are slipping into the past.

I'm glad that Nintendo, Sony and Bethesda are still serving this market, though I wonder for how much longer. Microsoft, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Valve etc. seem to have left or are leaving it behind.

-Horizon-

EA gonna EA yeesh
Guess that Star Wars game is gonna turn into another micro transaction/lootbox heavy multiplayer focused game with a 4 hour single player because follow the money.

It's never that simple.
Im not blaming Saboteur on EA, Mercenaries 2 is definitely on EA though.

If EA hadn't messed Mercenaries 2 up Pandemic would have been around longer and at least 1 other Mercenaries game would be out.

Not to mention Pandemic could have gotten Battlefront back when EA got the license and would be thriving right now.

They might have good reasons for closing down the studio but that statement is just laughable. I'm laughing. Flabbergasting. Its almost funny. A stunning level of incompetence.

This is a real shame for the company and people involved. I wonder if the current market dominated by microtransaction-driven games-as-a-service is in fact just a trend or if it's actually the future of the industry.

It feels incredibly disappointing to imagine a future where blockbuster single-player games that are essentially complete out of the box are no more. While it's nice that independent games and lower-budget fare on digital storefronts can thrive in this future, I feel like the days of high-quality AAA games in this vein are slipping into the past.

I'm glad that Nintendo, Sony and Bethesda are still serving this market, though I wonder for how much longer. Microsoft, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Valve etc. seem to have left or are leaving it behind.

Yup, support guys like Guerrilla who recently put out a stellar non half assed new IP that had very few bugs on release and was a complete 30-40+ hour experience in what I think was a unique open world setting. They could’ve made another Killzone but they didn’t.

They might have good reasons for closing down the studio but that statement is just laughable. I'm laughing. Flabbergasting. Its almost funny. A stunning level of incompetence.

I would say that it's somewhat reasonable, and seemingly supringsly honest. There's a limit to how much you will spend on a product working towards industry trends, rather then with them.

I don't care for those industry trends, I don't care for the game they hint at that this will be transformed to, but I can somewhat understand it.

That said, you get the feeling that this kind of drastic project changes/cancellations happens a bit to often with EA.

Papacheeks

Banned

To your first question that's highlighted:

Yes, and that's why it has come to a a lot of scrutiny lately with MT's, loot crates being in single player mostly games like Shadow of war, even to an extent in NBA2k, Assassin Creed.
Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Bethesda have been having a lot of success with making games that keep the player interested without trying to sell them stuff in-game. DLC is fine especially if it's just more playable content like a story add-on or expansion.

Bethesda recently has had some ups and downs with single player games underperforming. Doom I think Sold well but not to what they expected, and Dishonored 2 didn't live up to sales expectations. And PREY IMHO looked super generic which is why regardless of it's critical praise sold like balls.
But new IP's or games or revamped series like Doom, Wolfenstein seem to be doing fine. Horizon:ZD, Zelda, and most of Nintendo's first party have been doing well. The same can be said about Sega recently with them bringing more Yakuza, and PC ports of their single player games over with success.

Single player games are doing fine, it's just that they don't have a lot of meddling going on with games that do well. EA meddles too much with their developers and is why it's a mixed bag with the Ip's they put out.
Same can be said for other big publishers like Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, and even Sony(looking at you GT SPORT).
Campaign based games or single player are still viable even if they are AA/budget tier games like Hellblade.

But they have to be made without meddling from Producers, and higher ups. MS, EA, and Activision need a wake up call and I think it's coming in the form of people not buying their games. But unfortunatley they take that as a sign that people just dont want those type of games.
So they cancel projects. I really do believe Mass effect:A among a couple other titles have given these publishers like EA a bad impression about investing in story based games.

When sales of games like Horizon, Uncharted 4, Lost legacy, Zelda, Mario Rabbids, Nier, would say otherwise.

Unexpected but no surprise at this announcement.

This is the way the industry has been heading for a while now.

AAA single player games have been bordering on the unsustainable since the PS360 generation due to rising development costs. High fidelity content creation doesn't come cheap. Costs have continued to rise this generation and will grow even larger with 4K becoming the norm.

The only way the industry will be able to claw back costs will be with the GaaS model supplemented with micro transactions. So publishers will double down on established properties and dynamics. Which will lead to even more beautiful but shallow gaming experiences.

In short everything I hate about the current state of gaming becoming even more prevalent.

Support Super Lucky's Tale.

It's gonna bomb.

Drake

Holy crap just heard about this. They didn't like the direction of the Star Wars game? That had Amy Henning at the helm. Uncharted 2 and 3 are fucking amazing.

It's really dramatically ironic that Dead Space, an offspring of a franchise that got stuck in EA rights limbo for years, is now stuck in EA rights hell

Were they working on a Last Jedi game? If so it must be pretty embarrassing to not get a game out for the release of the new movie with two years of lead time. There wasn’t a Rogue One game either. T2 and LEGO has done a better job.

phansen

Neo Member
Seeing that this thread is mostly people shitting on EA i want to throw the idea in the room that maybe the game Visceral was making just wasn't any good. If it was just about the business model they could have still let Visceral remake the game in a GaaS-type game ad just announce that it is delayed. Instead they gave the project to another studio.
Instead of continuing to pump money in a project that's not turning out well they're just taking the assets that they can use to make a game promises to do better financially.
Maybe we might have actually gotten the single-player game if it was any good in the first place.

Top Bottom