• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

Nictel

EA is a terrible company. I'll never forgive LucasArts for selling exclusivity to them.

Disney did. This is important. Disney also stopped with their own studios for a similar reason. These big companies do not want to deal with a lot of small companies. So they make big contracts to a single party. However, I can't imagine there is anything in the contract with EA that strictly forbids them from outsourcing game development to another party. This is all speculation of course but I would expect that from a legal point of view, EA is free to ask Bethesda to make a Star Wars open world RPG. EA would have to publish it though.

Renekton

EA is a terrible company. I'll never forgive LucasArts for selling exclusivity to them.
Disney did. This is important. Disney also stopped with their own studios for a similar reason. These big companies do not want to deal with a lot of small companies. So they make big contracts to a single party.
To add to this, big game publishers prefer to use their own IPs for AAA games so Disney may not have as many potential partners as we think.

Man, the world is a depressing mess with Trump and Brexit and all. Let's get hyped on gaming news for something positive in my life.

6vkTZ.gif

Oh. Right. It's the gaming industry. I'll just go overdose on lootboxes in a dark corner.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Give Star Trek to Hennig, ffs.

Or... or Farscape.

Is there any indication she could do Star Trek any justice? The stories of Jak 2, Jak 3 and the Uncharted games does not exactly give me confidence she is any good at writing a series about scientific exploration, diplomacy, discussion and ethics.

TMWNN35

Sad part is that they EA will have learnt nothing.

They'll do the same thing at EA Vancouver with a bunch of slimy suits showing up 3 times a year to do game design drive bys based on pointless focus tests and whatever their 16yo son told them is cool.

So the project will stumble about like a headless chicken as there will be no vision or creative passion behind it, just a bunch of producers forcing the team to crunch for a schedule based on nothing more than a wet finger held on the air. The game will suck as they always do with projects run this way and will need to be "pivoted" again or more likely another team gets laid off.

Let your creatives own the project, let the team control the game they are making, give them enough time and money to let them craft the fun. Let the game drive the schedule, not the schedule drive the game.

And stop the fucking focus tests driving creative direction, you can't ask gamers what they want, they'll only ever tell you a bunch of dopey boring shit. What gamers want is amazing games crafted by creatives that love what they are making.

EA having the license to Star Wars fucking sucks. Out of the big third party publishers, I'd rather wish Ubisoft had gotten it.

God. What a shitty time to be a SW fans in gaming.

Bladenic

Wait, is Amy Hennig sans a job or was she only working on the Star Wars game (and thus still will be after the move)?

Poor Amy can't catch a break. Forced out Naughty Dog and now this :/

EA having the license to Star Wars fucking sucks. Out of the big third party publishers, I'd rather wish Ubisoft had gotten it.

Why? So it can be an open world game where you climb towers to reveal the next part of the galaxy?

At least with EA it had a chance to be something different. With Ubisoft it would be Assassin's Creed: Star Wars.

jrush64

Banned

This so much. Ubisoft would have made a damn fine Star Wars game in great time too. Say what you want about them, but they're games are solid fun games.

Stygr

Banned

Na, EA has still a lot of talented studios who can do some good stuff with the franchise.

If you give the license to Ubisoft you will end with AC or FC star wars.

Stygr

Banned
This so much. Ubisoft would have made a damn fine Star Wars game in great time too. Say what you want about them, but they're games are solid fun games.

Soldi games? I disagree. The "Ubisoft open world" style games is boring after 3 or 4 titles with the same game design, they dont make linear games anymore. They are only focusing on Open World and multiplayer titles.

At least with EA we might get an RPG SW, Action SW, FPS SW and TPS SW.

Na, EA has still a lot of talented studios who can do some good stuff with the franchise.

If you give the license to Ubisoft you will end with AC or FC star wars.

Sorry. Currently the thought of something like Rainbow Six: Siege reskinned with Storm Troopers alone is more enticing than anything EA is cooking up. Let alone SW games in all the genres Ubisoft already makes.

Which is much more than what EA has put out or will put out. And of better quality too.

Stygr

Banned
Sorry. Currently the thought of something like Rainbow Six: Siege reskinned with Storm Troopers alone is more enticing than anything EA is cooking up. Let alone SW games in all the genres Ubisoft already makes.

Which is much more than what EA has put out or will put out. And of better quality too.

We really dont know what EA is cooking up, without talking about Battlefront.

Jade Raymon with Motive is doing a sw game, Respawn is Obviously doing an action game sword based with Stig.

No thanks, i played enough reskinned games from Ubi.

Jade Raymon with Motive is doing a sw game, Respawn is Obviously doing an action game sword based with Stig.

Motive isn’t doing a SW game. They’re making their own open world action adventure IP.

But in-between doing that, they’re assisting with other SW projects.

Glass Rebel

I can't think of anything more boring than a SW game.

Battlefront 2 seems to be kinda eh and this game in EA Vancouver's hands is a bit of a crapshoot but the idea of a a SW game by Respawn has me more excited than anything Ubisoft could ever cook up.

...maybe a lightsaber game by the For Honor team.

Maybe.

hotcyder

They did the SP portion for Battlefront 2?

You think there's a lot of reskinned games where as I'm looking from a potential perspective of genres that Ubisoft has tackled (also isn't battlefront just a reskinned battlefield?)

It's also not as if EA is the only one that pumps out hugely successful games. Siege and For Honor are two of the biggest successes this generation sales wise and if we are talking long term engagement, EA has got absolutely nothing on the caliber of Siege.

And those two games are ones whose style would be extemely appropriate for a SW game. For Honor with lightstaber esque combat and Siege could essentially be a spirtual successor to Republic Commando but with a competitive MP mode.

And I'm not saying, hey reskin those. But that Ubisost has experience in a variety of genres that naturally fit Star Wars is more enticing of a prospect then, Battlefield clone and a cancelled Visceral game. At this point the Respawn title garners excitement but we know nothing about it.

I just can't understand for my life how the team that created the Dead Space trilogy and one of the key minds behind the Legacy of Kain and Uncharted sagas could have three years and mess a linear SP action adventure game. I know the realities of game development are hard but all I can think of is heavy interference from the Publisher.

Stygr

Banned
You think there's a lot of reskinned games where as I'm looking from a potential perspective of genres that Ubisoft has tackled (also isn't battlefront just a reskinned battlefield?)

It's also not as if EA is the only one that pumps out hugely successful games. Siege and For Honor are two of the biggest successes this generation sales wise and if we are talking long term engagement, EA has got absolutely nothing on the caliber of Siege.

And those two games are ones whose style would be extemely appropriate for a SW game. For Honor with lightstaber esque combat and Siege could essentially be a spirtual successor to Republic Commando but with a competitive MP mode.

And I'm not saying, hey reskin those. But that Ubisost has experience in a variety of genres that naturally fit Star Wars is more enticing of a prospect then, Battlefield clone and a cancelled Visceral game. At this point the Respawn title garners excitement but we know nothing about it.

Obviously i'm not putting Battlefront as a good example, because it's indeed a reskinned Battlefield, at least for the 2015 entry.

EA games got a high value to the mainstream market, more than Ubisoft when it comes to specific videogame genres. A possibile RPG SW game made by BioWare for example will have a better appeal than an RPG game made by Ubisoft. Same for Respawn and Stig.

The problem i have with Ubisoft is their game design when it comes to single player games, their open world design in structure bothers me a lot, and i used to be an Assassin's Creed fan. Siege is indeed a good game, but as an old rainbow six player, i can't fit Siege in the "Rainbow Six" that i used to know for so many years, same for Wildlands.

EA has the money and the talent for the Star Wars universe, they just need to get their shit together and i'm pretty sure they will deliver some good games.

Still waiting for that RPG SW and i hope we will see it soon than later.

Vashu

Assassin's Creed: Star Wars doesn't sound so bad, if you get to play as an Inquisitor (who's maybe trying to redeem him/herself) it might even be extremely interesting in that regard.

I mean, I'd also be okay with a Jedi-game in that mold. :p

Assassin's Creed: Star Wars doesn't sound so bad, if you get to play as an Inquisitor (who's maybe trying to redeem him/herself) it might even be extremely interesting in that regard.

I mean, I'd also be okay with a Jedi-game in that mold. :p

Take a page out of Black Flag and let me be a smuggler/bounty hunter/freight hauler with my own ship, crew and flight plan.

Star Wars: Scoundrel

Definitely sad about the news that Visceral is gone, hope everyone new jobs soon.

Really enjoy 1 and 2, the third was fun and had it moments imo.

Was hoping that Visceral would get the green light from EA to make another Dead Space / Reboot.

As much as I want another Dead Space game, i guess the franchise is gone for good ?

Arttemis

For Honor: Star Wars would be badass. Assassin's Creed: Star Wars would be awesome too, provided they add a combat system worthy of the name. What I'd really want, though, is a Metal Gear Rising: Star Wars from P* Games.

And what about a new flight simulator and arcade shooter like TIE Figher or Rogue Squadron!?

And a new RPG!?

A strategy game!?

But EA has the exclusive rights, so we can't get anything other than multiple Battlefield copies, and a traditional single player game is treated like tuberculosis, where they think killing its developer and burning their corpse is the only course of action.

Wasnt this game in development for like 4 years? If so, EA wouldnt just cancel it for no reason. It had to have stalled in development somehow. I cant see EA just shutting it down and sending it somewhere else so everything can be repurposed if the game showed any promise at all.

Doesnt make sense to do this unless the game was dreadful.

prag16

Banned
This should have been a new golden age for Star Wars games, but instead so far we get... Battlefront 2015 and that's it. In 4+ years. With nothing else other than its sequel on the horizon any time soon. Extremely frustrating.

That reads frighteningly close to the claims made about Uncharter 4 under Hennig as well. What... happened? :(

Eh I'm hesitant to pin this on Amy until we have a LOT more information. Her track record prior to UC4 speaks for itself (and from what we know her 'version' of UC4 sounded more compelling than what we got story wise), so I'm more inclined to believe various factors outside her control screwed things up in both cases. For now.

I'd rather wish Ubisoft had gotten it.

Hell, may have been better of if Activision had gotten it. (Now I feel like I need a shower after saying that.)

With Ubisoft it would be Assassin's Creed: Star Wars.

That actually could be pretty good if done well. Play as a Jedi, with a revamped lightsaber combat system? I could dig it. Though this "new direction" for Visceral's game sounds kind of AC-esque based on what little they've said.

I just can't understand for my life how the team that created the Dead Space trilogy and one of the key minds behind the Legacy of Kain and Uncharted sagas could have three years and mess a linear SP action adventure game. I know the realities of game development are hard but all I can think of is heavy interference from the Publisher.

Yep. I disagree with implications that Amy may have fucked up UC4 (initially) and now this game. Far more likely EA fuckery is majority to blame here.

Vashu

Take a page out of Black Flag and let me be a smuggler/bounty hunter/freight hauler with my own ship, crew and flight plan.

Star Wars: Scoundrel

Ah yeah... There are so many possibilities within the Star Wars universe, yet EA squandered their chance to bring something new and refreshing to the table and instead decided to focus (probably too late) on what the marketplace is like.

By the time it has come out, the market might be radically different again and they might incur even more losses.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Obviously i'm not putting Battlefront as a good example, because it's indeed a reskinned Battlefield, at least for the 2015 entry.

EA games got a high value to the mainstream market, more than Ubisoft when it comes to specific videogame genres. A possibile RPG SW game made by BioWare for example will have a better appeal than an RPG game made by Ubisoft. Same for Respawn and Stig.

The problem i have with Ubisoft is their game design when it comes to single player games, their open world design in structure bothers me a lot, and i used to be an Assassin's Creed fan. Siege is indeed a good game, but as an old rainbow six player, i can't fit Siege in the "Rainbow Six" that i used to know for so many years, same for Wildlands.

EA has the money and the talent for the Star Wars universe, they just need to get their shit together and i'm pretty sure they will deliver some good games.

Still waiting for that RPG SW and i hope we will see it soon than later.
With Episode VIII upcoming we already halfway through the planned movie cycle of Star Wars and all EA was able to produce so far is friggin Battlefront. Not only that, we haven't even really seen any proper footage from any other game so far. How poor is that? EA must have the worst management on the planet.

I agree that the license should have went to Ubisoft. At least they get shit done.

Yeah, especially since on top of that it was also unlike most of the games EA usually makes.

Damn :(

This post literally crushed me...as a big Hennig fan and a massive Star Wars fan, I cry like the frenchman at the start of the occupation.

Was such a good potential match. Hennig 3rd-person action-adventure + Star Wars. :(

Top Bottom