• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

KyleCross

Can't agree at all, it isn't even the best Metal Gear game. Metal Gear Rising is, but just to keep it focused on the stealth entires; MGS1 holds that award. That isn't rose-tinted glasses either, I played it for the first time in 2011 and it absolutely holds up and one of the best gaming experiences I had.

HeelPower

I found listening to the tapes to be extremely fun and interesting.Extremely well acted and so much lore and interesting info.

Helps that the cutscenes we got were so polished.

Such a great game.Completely stomps MGS4 imo. Kojima really pushed himself to present something new here.

Ooo, yes please! Unlike the bulk of complaints towards the game, I actually loved replaying missions with those modifiers and was bummed that it wasn't a universal option. This is awesome. Time to reinstall some MGSV.

Yeah, that stuff was great.

I'm currently doing a playthrough trying to play all the missions Subsistence style. It really makes you look at the levels in a completely different way. I'm discovering hidden pathways and areas that I never would have found if I just used typical equipment and buddy help.

I might have to grab these mods and the PC version. My biggest turn off and reason I gave up on this game was all the bs real world but only count down in game timers. Ain't no one got time for that.

I'm still mad about it. I remember telling some friends that there was no way Kojima could fuck this up.

Worst mainline MGS with MGS4. No story. Great gameplay for nothing, because the level design is bad.

To me, MGSV Ground Zeroes is the real MGSV. What a great game.

Alienous

The fact that it didn't have harder difficulties, and modifiers available for any mission, is bizarre. It really does make it seem more unfinished the the ending does.

It's my favorite Metal Gear, and all of the main games hold a significant place in my heart. The gameplay was superior to every other game in the series by a country mile, and I actually got into the story, even while seeing it as more insubstantial than its predecessors. It's not a game I'll be forgetting anytime soon.

Yes, thank god for Ground Zeroes. The moment when you have to escape with Paz in GZ is better than everything i've seen in MGSV.

As someone who loves Ground Zeroes, subsects of the community have vastly overrated Ground Zeroes. Yes. It's cool. Throw Paz on your back and get out of there. When compared to TPP, however, you can only extract her by chopper and you're pretty limited in what you can really do. You can't throw her in a vehicle or have her carried by a buddy, as you would be able to in TPP. Ground Zeroes has its fun, tense moments, but people take a lot what Phantom Pain brings to the table for granted.

Gator86

Holy shit, a MGSV thread where most people are positive about it. The game is incredible and the hyperbole surrounding it at launch was ridiculous. It's just so goddamn fun to play.

Yup. It's the best MGS game. The gameplay is fucking sublime. I spent over a hundred hours stalking around and fultoning guys. Sorry, MGS' story is trash. It would have been trash whether it was finished or not. I'd start another playthrough if I didn't have to suffer through that dumpster-fire tier opening level another fucking time.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I might have to grab these mods and the PC version. My biggest turn off and reason I gave up on this game was all the bs real world but only count down in game timers. Ain't no one got time for that.

anything that takes more than a minute to build isnt necessary to complete the game

The fact that it didn't have harder difficulties, and modifiers available for any mission, is bizarre. It really does make it seem more unfinished the the ending does.

the fact that you can choose your loadout, outfit, support and time of day makes difficulty options more unnecessary than they were in GZ, especially since replaying early missions also replaces guards with heavily kitted, high level variants

Alienous

As someone who loves Ground Zeroes, subsects of the community have vastly overrated Ground Zeroes. Yes. It's cool. Throw Paz on your back and get out of there. When compared to TPP, however, you can only extract her by chopper and you're pretty limited in what you can really do. You can't throw her in a vehicle or have her carried by a buddy, as you can in TPP. Ground Zeroes has its fun, tense moments, but people take a lot what Phantom Pain brings to the table for granted.

The limitations are what makes extracting Paz such a thrilling experience. The options that the Phantom Pain brings to the table actually undercuts the tension. There's barely any strategy to extracting targets when the majority of the can be extracted with inexpensive, plentiful Fulton devices. The strategy and vulnerability of having to carry someone out of a conflict zone is lost.

I dunno the ending makes it seem really really goddamn unfinished.

But the game has an ending. Chapter 1 is a complete story. It could have, justifiably, been the end of the game. So while the game stops rather than comes to a conclusion it's not so much that they weren't able to get the ending of the game in, just that they attempted two.

BADMAN

Is there a mod that replaces all of snake's voice lines with old David Hayter lines. I don't even care if none of it makes sense I'd download it immediately.

The limitations are what makes extracting Paz such a thrilling experience. The options that the Phantom Pain brings to the table actually undercuts the tension. There's barely any strategy to extracting targets when the majority of the can be extracted with inexpensive, plentiful Fulton devices. The strategy and vulnerability of having to carry someone out of a conflict zone is lost.

The beauty of a game with options, TPP, is that you can leave the Fulton behind. Whereas with Ground Zeroes, you're stuck with what you've got. I spent plenty of time with Ground Zeroes, but there really isn't much to do in the main mission. The other missions offer much more variety, like the Glaz and Palitz mission.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

the most frustrating thing about this is that they had a perfectly sensible solution to that, in the form of wounded targets that require vehicle extraction, which was infuriatingly underused in the main ops. fulton is just too effective and enemies never react quickly enough to seeing the balloon to make any other option a consideration.

Alienous

The beauty of a game with options, TPP, is that you can leave the Fulton behind. Whereas with Ground Zeroes, you're stuck with what you've got. I spent plenty of time with Ground Zeroes, but there really isn't much to do in the main mission. The other missions offer much more variety, like the Glaz and Palitz mission.

The thing is I, and most players, don't play games with our own game design in mind. We play by the rules laid out by the game, and TPP due to its poor design (in sections of the game) damages the game when compared to Ground Zeroes. The Fulton system is one example.

Limitations and curated opportunities is part of game design.

Finding and getting close to the targets is much more difficult in TPP. The tension is there, it's just a different kind of tension.

The thing is I, and most players, don't play games with our own game design in mind. We play by the rules laid out by the game, and TPP due to its poor design (in sections of the game) damages the game when compared to Ground Zeroes. The Fulton system is one example.

I don't know, man. You just have to meet games halfway, sometimes. If you want a specific experience, such as the tension you felt during the Paz extraction, then you've got to find a way to make that happen. The game designers aren't sitting around wondering how they can recreate the Paz extraction for Ground Zeroes players, they're trying to make the game as fun and accessible to everyone as possible.

O.DOGG

It is absolutely one of the best games ever with no mods at all. That New Game Plus mod, however grabs my attention. It may be the reason to go back and put another 300 hours into the game. Thanks for posting this thread, OP.

ChouGoku

This is probably a reason for a big divide in how people see MGSV. Yea sure, you can just tranq and fulton everyone but you don't have to do that. MGSV has the most varied way to approach the same mission in any game I've ever played. I get how its easy just to tranq and fulton everyone with D-Dog on your side and play the game like that but then it just gets old. You can do extraction missions any way, you could not fulton people for example and just tranq them, choke them out, cqc them, have Quiet cause a huge distraction, had D-horse or D-walker cause a distraction, have Quiet tranq or kill anyone you run in to if she is in the correct position, come in guns a blazing and play a TPS, Call in a tank and wreck shit, call in a chopper bombardment to cause a distraction, change the weather and sneak around enemies, sneak around enemies with decoys, remote bomb the other side of the area and sneak around, etc. There are so many ways to do something in this game its crazy. The only problem is its too open and doesn't make you do any of this, so I can see how you could get stuck playing every mission the same way. There are so many ways to play a mission and so many different strategies and tension if you are willing to explore the game.

I don't know, man. You just have to meet games halfway, sometimes. If you want a specific experience, such as the tension you felt during the Paz extraction, then you've got to find a way to make that happen. The game designers aren't sitting around wondering how they can recreate the Paz extraction for Ground Zeroes players, they're trying to make the game as fun and accessible to everyone as possible.

Exactly, it easy if you don't want to lose tension because of fultons. Don't bring them. Its not mandatory to have them on you. When I want more tension but still want fultons to get better soldiers I just use the worst ones. They give you a very limited amount, they are slow captures, and they are easy to shoot down by enemies.

Alienous

I really don't think that's the case.

The game should have the expectation that I'm trying my utmost to complete the mission, not that I am restricting myself in lieu of the game placing restrictions on me. Whether it be by specific restrictions (unable to use weapons), or the ability to increase the difficulty, it's the job of game designers to design the rules that dictate what they want the player to experience.

ChouGoku

The game should have the expectation that I'm trying my utmost to complete the mission, not that I am restricting myself in lieu of the game placing restrictions on me. Whether it be by specific restrictions (unable to use weapons), or the ability to increase the difficulty, it's the job of game designers to design the rules that dictate what they want the player to experience.

I'm guessing your main problem is one of the very few problems I have with the game and no total stealth, or subsistence choices for every mission.

You're free to go into games with that mindset, but you're more likely to be disappointed than not, if you do. At the end of the day, you're asking one game to recreate the experience of another. The game gives you the tools to recreate it yourself. You just have to make it happen. If you choose not to do so, then I really don't know what else to tell you. You're limiting yourself and blaming the game. The game provides the easiest workaround to your very specific problem.

Alienous

You're free to go into games with that mindset, but you're more likely to be disappointed than not, if you do. At the end of the day, you're asking one game to recreate the experience of another. The game gives you the tools to recreate it yourself. You just have to make it happen. If you choose not to do so, then I really don't know what else to tell you. You're limiting yourself and blaming the game. The game provides the easiest workaround to your very specific problem.

That's really not the case. I can go into most games with the expectation that a game designer has carefully considered the options I'm given to maximize the experience. That's true of Ground Zeroes. That's true of many open world games.

I'm not asking it to recreate the Paz moment specifically. I just want to have moments like that without having to put a game designer hat on and create it myself. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Your argument comes across to me like asserting that a game could get away with not having difficulty modes because you could always restart from the last checkpoint if you lose 50% of your health, or force an alert if you think more perceptive enemies would have seen you in a theoretical harder mode.

That's really not the case. I can go into most games with the expectation that a game designer has carefully considered the options I'm given to maximize the experience. That's true of Ground Zeroes. That's true of many open world games.

I'm not asking it to recreate the Paz moment specifically. I just want to have moments like that without having to put a game designer hat on and create it myself. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Your argument comes across to me like asserting that a game could get away with not having difficulty modes because you could always restart from the last checkpoint if you lose 50% of your health, or force an alert if you think more perceptive enemies would have seen you in a theoretical harder mode.

I had plenty of those moments with mgsv, but I wasn't making an effort to create them.

Are you trying to debate over whether it's a flaw or not, or do you want to know what the workaround is? I don't really care about arguing over what flaws the game does or does not have. The game is too old for that and it's not like they're gonna update it. I was just putting it out there, that there is a workaround, options that plenty of games, neglect to provide.

MGS V isn't even the best MGS game. There's either a lot of people in this thread who are very easily pleased, or alot of people for who MGS V is the only MG game they've played.

Greddleok

Forever has a place on my HD.

Mine too. Never deleting it, it's easily one of the best games this gen.
People will never understand that it wasn't meant to be the same as the other MGS games and will always judge it for what they wanted it to be, rather than what it is.

If I ever get a decent PC, I will try it with mods for sure.

It's a testament to Kojima and his team that the game is as good as it is. It just feels so good. That said, I definitely don't think it's as good as MGS3.

MGS4 was fantastic, didn't it win GOTY twice on Neogaf? As in 2 separate years?

People like to call it garbage now to be edgy but it has lots of fans, a great story (for people who feel V is lacking) and a really high Metacritic score.

I called it a missed opportunity, not garbage.

Play through the first couple of acts, they're fantastic as they have the same freedom to approach encounters as Snake eater with a more modern control scheme. Then strap in for a series of lengthy cutscenes peppered with the odd piece of gameplay.

Gaf can give it a third goty, but story aside there's no question that in terms of gameplay it was a step backwards.

ChouGoku

One of the worst games ever made and an embarrassment to the IP it belongs to.

Factually incorrect opinoin

MGS V isn't even the best MGS game. There's either a lot of people in this thread who are very easily pleased, or alot of people for who MGS V is the only MG game they've played.

I havent played MGS 1 or 4, and I only played a little of MGS2, I beat 3 and PW. Unless 3 is a massive downgrade from 1 and 2 and 4 is a massive upgrade (from what I hear it plays like 3) MGSV is the deepest MGS game in terms of gameplay. So if by easily pleased you mean with extremely varied, fun ways to do play then yes.

Chinner

Banned
There's a reason why this game has been universally forgotten since its release. Let this game be lost in history, as it's mediocrity does not deserve praise.

I've played them all, V is still the best for me and I'm a big fan of the series. So yeah, you are wrong.

It is quite unique in that the more you get into it, the worse it gets until it all disintegrates into a steaming pile of garbage story, open world mediocrity and insultingly bad characters.

So you know, a metal gear game with open world bits.

If they had taken out the pointless "running to the next bit because it is quicker then calling the helicopter except oh shit I should have called the helicopter because this is taking forever but fuck it I might as well just keep running now" bits it would have been a lot better game.

I have no desire to return to it.

Mexen

I will forever be amazed by how an unfinished game still holds up so well.

Can you imagine how truly revolutionary V would have been if Kojima had seen it to its intended completion?

If there are any devs out there who were inspired to emulate V's controls, know you have my blessing. Those controls should be the minimum required quality for generations to come.

RK9039

Worst in the series to me, but I'm sure these mods are pretty cool.

There's a reason why this game has been universally forgotten since its release. Let this game be lost in history, as it's mediocrity does not deserve praise.

So true.

I've played them all, V is still the best for me and I'm a big fan of the series. So yeah, you are wrong.

Yeah. It's hard for some to grasp, but people who played Metal Gear prior to TPP can enjoy TPP. MGSV has skyrocketed closer towards the top of my personal series rankings the further removed we are from launch. It was never going to meet everyone's expectations, which is why it's best to go in without any. I'm glad Kojima tried something different. He'll be better for the experience and make Death Stranding even better thanks to getting his feet wet in the open world waters.

Ratrat

Its not my favorite in the series but it does a lot right. It has the best stealth/tps gameplay of any game, runs flawlessly on current gen consoles in a sea of AAA games that can barely stay on 30fps. In spite of being 'unfinished' it offers more content than the rest of the series combined.

Not counting Revengeance, I consider V to be the best MGS game, because while I loved the sci-fi military soap opera story and cutscenes, the series first drew me in with its mechanics, and V has really excelled at that. I've only ever sat through the cutscenes in any of the games once, after that it came down to replaying them because they were just fun games with a lot of things to intermingle and experiment with, and I think V brings that to its most open-ended point. Meet me somewhere.

Top Bottom