• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banh Mi (Vietnamese Food)

Sapiens

Is there anything better than a well made banh mi vietnamese sandwich?

Okay, so I recently got into these. Luckily, my city has a pretty wide asian food selection - but I never tried the bahn mi until recently. If you're wondering what a Bahn Mi is, as per wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bánh_mì

Bánh mì ... Vietnamese pronunciation: [ɓǎɲ mî]) is the Vietnamese word for bread. Bread, or more specifically the baguette, was introduced by the French during the colonial period in Vietnam. The bread most commonly found in Vietnamese cuisine is a single-serving baguette that is usually airier than its Western counterpart, with a thinner crust. Unlike the traditional French baguette, the Vietnamese baguette is made with rice flour along with wheat flour (see rice bread).

The most popular variety of Vietnamese sandwich is bánh mì thịt, thịt meaning "meat". Bánh mì thịt nguội (also known as bánh mì pâté chả thịt, bánh mì đặc biệt, or "special combo") is made with various Vietnamese cold cuts, such as sliced pork or pork belly, chả lụa (pork sausage), and head cheese, along with the liver pâté and vegetables like carrot or cucumbers

Trust me when I tell you that if you've never had one before, the first one you want to try is the one with the pork belly in it. It is simply amazing.

Here's some pics to encourage you to hunt one out:

xhrhp2kfnvny.jpg

lpAhrU8.jpg

Post your own Banh Mi pics!

What other fast/cheap foods have others discovered late in life?

*don't ban me for this, pls.

it all depends on preference I guess, but I would take a nice bowl of pho any day over banh mi. thou to be fair, those are really nice too especially if you get some fresh made bread for then

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I'll admit I entered the thread with every intention to do so. You got me.

Unfortunately for you, if this is not a troll thread you need to now make it a thread of substance. I expect we will all see an improved OP with some more points of discussion.

Spinoff90

Had a place by my Jr. High and High School that was amazing. Lived on them almost every school day and never got sick of them. Every now and then would mix it up with nearby KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut etc. Would always regret the decision to not go for a sub those days. There was a Pho place next door that was decent too but their service was so slow that you were pretty much guaranteed to be late for afternoon classes.

The only problem is every single place I have tried since has been complete garbage in comparison and it is no longer convenient for me to get to. It is also in a bad part of town since at the time we were in a new district without a school and had to be bussed to the nearest schools which ended up being in the district with the highest crime rate in the city. But despite being out of the way and being in a bad area I still have to go for them every now and then. Hopefully I never get mugged or something just because I can't live without these Banh Mi in my life.

wondermega

I worked on a Vietnamese food truck for a time. I can attest that banh mi is indeed one of the more detectable sandwiches that one can eat; I prefer the grilled pork w a decent smattering of sauce, and just the right amount of jalapeno (not too much, otherwise mouth on fire).

Also the little egg roll things are great as well. Pronounced "jot yaww," I have no idea how to properly spell it, I apologize.. But damn very tasty.

Battlechili

Banned
So a thread dedicated to sandwiches then? My favorite sandwich is unironically the meatball marinara sandwich from subway. Those things are extremely filling.

I've never been very adventurous with sandwiches though. Can't say I even new the Banh Mi was a thing.

Breakage

Tried it when I used to eat meat.
Out of interest, does anyone know if vegetarianism is common among the Vietnamese community?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oddly enough I first learned about a “banh mi” just yesterday. I suppose I will have to try it sometime.

iPhone keeps wanting to correct it to “bang mi”

Alx

Tried it when I used to eat meat.
Out of interest, does anyone know if vegetarianism is common among the Vietnamese community?

Not that I know of. All traditional meals include some kind of meat/fish one way or another (fish sauce is almost everywhere, and when it's not it's prawn sauce).

Relativ9

Meat? Good. Liverpate? Good. Bread? Good. Tomatoes? Good. Cucumber? Good.

I might have to try making this, does it have to be cold cuts though? I feel like it could work well heated, liverpate actually gets a pretty cool flavor/consistency when it's a bit warm.

Alx

There's no tomato in a banh mi, the red stuff in the pictures is either chili or pickled turnip.
The liverpate is always served cold in the sandwich, but the meat can be hot or not depending on your tastes.

llien

What makes it that special though?
Baguettes are gorgeous as is, does rice really make it better?

I don't see any non-Western vegetable on the photo.

jaybeeze

theres certain ingredients you don’t really find elsewhere. The pickled carrots/radish on top add a unique flavour along w the liver paste (?) spread on the bread for example.

Breakage

Not that I know of. All traditional meals include some kind of meat/fish one way or another (fish sauce is almost everywhere, and when it's not it's prawn sauce).
Damn that's what I thought, especially regarding fish sauce.

Bit-Bit

There's pickled vegetables, pate, jelepeno, fish sauce, and topped with cilantro. Those ingredients paired with the Vietnamese baguette and your choice of meat, really makes it a unique sandwich that stands apart from a western made sandwich.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I brought a pork loin yesterday so I am going to make some of these tonight for the last jedi.

They look delicious.

Bolivar687

Banned
We have a number of Vietnamese restaurants in our neighborhood but we're fortunate to live right across the street from a dedicated Banh Mi shop. They make a sweet and spicy sausage one that's legit one of the most consistently amazing sandwiches I've ever had.

Bit-Bit

There's a Boba tea shop near me that sells banh mi for $3 each. Now I want to go pick some up for lunch this weekend. Will report back with pics.

It basically the best fusion of two cultures. I will usually eat two in a sitting.

The pate is a requirement. I know there are versions without it but they do not taste the same. Also, a light spread of mayo to add a hint of sweetness.

MastAndo

I stop at the Vietnamese food truck for lunch at least twice a week. The first few times, it was for Banh Mi, but lately have settled on a chicken or pork with rice noodles bowl. It's good stuff.

PG2G

Feel like the only good Banh Mi is with charbroiled pork and the rest are kinda gross. The westernized banh mi is a much better sandwich, mainly because the quality of the meat. This brisket banh mi from Gjelina in Los Angeles for example...

brisketbanhmi.jpg

S-Wind

Also the little egg roll things are great as well. Pronounced "jot yaww," I have no idea how to properly spell it, I apologize.. But damn very tasty.

Pretty good job there, trying to phonetically spell out the second word, but you are waaaaayyy off with the first word. The pronunciation is closer to "ja", or "jya"

because I remember this thread just now, I got a banh mi for dinner along with my pho. both the banh mi and the pho was delicious, but I was too hungry and ate them all before I remember to take a picture. sorry.

Gandara

I love Vietnamese sandwiches but I've also had some bad ones ( remember one place in Hawaii and other one in California). But when done right they are very tasty.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think with my pork fillet im going to slow cook half of it and make a Vietnamese flavoured pulled pork and pan fry the other half so i have to contrasting types of pork textures and flavours in my Banh Mi.

Kremzeek

Mendocino Farms has a fantastically sublime Lemongrass Steak Banh Mi.

The flavors are a revelation in your mouth. I get it almost every time.

Red Comet

Literally survived on nothing but banh mi yesterday. There is this Vietnamese restaurant that delivers to my work and they sell them for $4.95 a pop. Deal of the century.

Top Bottom