• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

ZeroAKA

tSgGPT0.jpg

qRNAJCW.jpg

0VkJwBU.jpg

Oz awakens to find himself in Misred - a cursed land at the world's western frontier - with a dark shroud covering certain memories of his past. The land before him
contains many labyrinths that hold both treasure and danger in equal volumes. Without knowing where else to go or what else to do, Oz decides to take up arms in
order to hunt down artifacts and eke out a living in this world that feels so new to him. One day, he will have to face his past, but until then, he has no choice but to
trust those around him, and in his newfound abilities as a "Demon Gazer".

• Dungeon RPG Progress System: Conquer locations within dungeons to access better items and to draw out the boss!
  • HD Character and Monster Illustrations: Experience highly detailed and illustrated art like you've never seen before on the PS Vita's OLED screen!
  • Customizable Party Creation: Choose from more than 90 different character portraits, 8 different races, and 8 different classes and create your ideal
    adventuring party to delve fearlessly into various beautiful 3D dungeons!
  • Touchscreen Quick Travel: Employ the use of the PS Vita's touch screen to quickly navigate your character through previously explored areas within dungeons!
  • Bilingual In-Game Voices: Experience authentic gameplay with original Japanese language/voices or new English language/voices.
  • Downloadable Content: Disgaea D2 characters will be available as limited-time free DLC.

orB8dc2.jpg

Official Website (JP)
Metacritic (72)
PS Store Download
NIS Disgaea Character Art DLC
Extended Gameplay Video (first 50 minutes)
GameFAQs Google Docs Guide
Japanese Wiki + Maps

Nn1WflS.jpg

YhsPv0t.jpg

Shout-out to VitaGAF for being awesome. Join us in the monthly PSN threads if you haven’t already!

vocab

yay demon gaze.

I think im gonna run: MC, Paladin, Assassin, Wizard, Healer. Samurai is pretty good too, and I'm never a fan of ranger/sniper in any dungeon crawler. They are usually weak as hell unless they have melee attacks like Might and Magic.

Enjoying the game so far and the English voices aren't bad (excluding a few loli characters high pitch voices). As a experienced Etrian Odyssey player I find the game a bit to easy but should be good a difficulty level for those who aren't use to the genre. And one last bit fuck the rent!

Flarin

NIS is practically keeping the Vita afloat on its own this year. Disgaea 4, Hyperdimension Neptunia PP, Danganronpa 1&2, etc. LOVE IT. Demon Gaze looks neat.

Any importers played this one yet? Curious to know how it plays compared to Etrian Odyssey. Loved IV on the 3DS so want to give DG a try.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Fantastic OP great job! Now to wait and see how many GAF members drop dead in the dungeons :D

One of my favorite dungeon crawler titles. Experience Inc is on a huge roll with all of the titles they have been bringing out to the home consoles / handheld side of things. Esp with all the support they have been pouring into the Vita.

U.S. got the better cover.

Considering the story the US cover not only does not make sense, but gives the false impression that the characters with the main character are actually story characters in the game, which they are not.

iLplcNAjUsJcP.png
+
inDsRkS5F2ST0.png
best characters ever. If it wasnt for my general policy to never change my avatar, it would have been swapped to one of those long ago.

Parakeetman

Enjoying the game so far and the English voices aren't bad (excluding a few loli characters high pitch voices). As a experienced Etrian Odyssey player I find the game a bit to easy but should be good a difficulty level for those who aren't use to the genre. And one last bit fuck the rent!

The rent bit isnt too bad if you just stay out for long sessions and drag back a ton of junk to sell not to mention cash from killing things.

Id think people would be more traumatized by having to buy rooms initially as to being the only way to increase your party size at the start. Each that goes up in price. Since at the start of the game money is tight.

Also posting this again just becuase. :D Couple other stuff is missing in the pic, since didnt bother to dig too deep in all the boxes I have packed up.

Ironjam

Cant wait for this game, preordered it back in January. Ill be busy with this and EO:U over the coming months.

And thx for the avatar, gonna take this one.
<------

Parakeetman

Oh shit I didnt know the game had bilingual voices. Should check if the LEs are still available at the NIS site. Remember the stock was pretty damned low last time I looked. 30% or something. D:

Might order one if so just to collect.

*Edit
Shit out of stock. D: If had known earlier would have pre-ordered long before. Anyone got connections at NIS to check if they will do a reprint of the LEs?

Parakeetman

Is this game as fanservice-y as Conception? I don't mind a little, but I thought Conception was too much.

It has fanservice, but its not the same as Conception. Conception that is the actual game more like it, since sure as hell isnt the battle system... which would constantly put me to sleep. Not going to post what as dont want to add any spoilers. Though some folks am sure are familiar with the pic(s) as they have appeared in related threads at GAF.

And as below just did thats one of the more famous examples.

Parakeetman

Awesome, someone took an avatar! :D

I was wondering when someone was going to post that screenshot.

You know it had to show up eventually with how "iconic" it is lol. Truthfully though it would be far more amusing for the SS not to be outright shown and as a link instead. Makes the event scene all more hilarious without knowing.

18-Volt

Buy this game people, and give NIS America a reason to localize Operation Abyss and Stranger of the Sword Village, other Experience first person dungeon games. I really want to play those.

Parakeetman

I skipped on Conception 2 for this game, I feel like I made the right choice. Hype, day 1.

Yes, yes you did. Worst thing about the conception series is the battle system... This on the other hand if you like the Wizardry type of dungeon crawlers its pretty awesome and well made. The fact it has an actual story too is appreciated. Granted its nothing overly complex, but an actual voiced story with characters is grand when it comes to these types of games.

Parakeetman

Buy this game people, and give NIS America a reason to localize Operation Abyss and Stranger of the Sword Village, other Experience first person dungeon games. I really want to play those.

Its nice to see that &#21091;&#12398;&#34903;&#12398;&#30064;&#37030;&#20154; (Stranger of Sword City) is actually going to get a PC and Vita port too. Since initially it was only a X360 title and obviously they realized what a huge mistake that was seeing how the other 2 slated platforms were revealed recently. The console is pretty much dead here and with how late in the game its coming out would leave them with a real small pool of potential buyers. Most def the Vita is where the sales will be coming from. The PC version will be expensive as usual Id imagine just like how Students of the Round was. That shit was near 80 bucks at launch. D:

Eusis

I skipped on Conception 2 for this game, I feel like I made the right choice. Hype, day 1.
Yeah, I can't get around to Demon Gaze now but I'll probably skip Conception 2 entirely. Demo on 3DS wasn't particularly impressive and what I'm hearing doesn't sound too great. The biggest barrier for me with Demon Gaze is the fact I kind of have a bunch of Etrian Odyssey games sitting unfinished, so even when taking the stance "well backlogs don't matter!" it's not as if there weren't plenty of similar dungeon crawlers there.

Lucentto

Banned
Yes, yes you did. Worst thing about the conception series is the battle system... This on the other hand if you like the Wizardry type of dungeon crawlers its pretty awesome and well made. The fact it has an actual story too is appreciated. Granted its nothing overly complex, but an actual voiced story with characters is grand when it comes to these types of games.

I honestly just started getting into DRPGs. I played EO4 not too long ago, I plan to play Untold after finishing this game.

Parakeetman

I honestly just started getting into DRPGs. I played EO4 not too long ago, I plan to play Untold after finishing this game.

This game is a lot more forgiving than other titles mainly due to the demon system as it adds pretty much an extra character to the mix when you summon it to assist in battle and the bonus abilities / stats boost it can add to the party helps a lot. Which is why its so damned hard to swap out certain ones for others at times due to how useful the bonuses are.

Yeah, I can't get around to Demon Gaze now but I'll probably skip Conception 2 entirely. Demo on 3DS wasn't particularly impressive and what I'm hearing doesn't sound too great. The biggest barrier for me with Demon Gaze is the fact I kind of have a bunch of Etrian Odyssey games sitting unfinished, so even when taking the stance "well backlogs don't matter!" it's not as if there weren't plenty of similar dungeon crawlers there.

If you want something with at least some what of a story and characters Id say play this over the EO games first. At least it feels like you are making more progress towards something with there being a more concrete story than the very sparse bits EO gives you. Am saying this as a fan of the EO games also.

Despera

Banned
If you want something with at least some what of a story and characters Id say play this over the EO games first. At least it feels like you are making more progress towards something with there being a more concrete story than the very sparse bits EO gives you. Am saying this as a fan of the EO games also.
Well, judging by the synopsis the story revolves around a semi-amnesiac protag who fights evil with his newly awakened power...

I'd rather have a game with no story than deal with that unoriginal shit yet again lol

Uthred

Looking forward to this, pre-ordered the LE so going to have to wait for it to wend its way to the wilds of Europe

Parakeetman

how does this compare to SMT IV? looks kinda similar with the demon system

Totally different. As its not like SMT games where you are constantly capturing various demons to use. These are basically the bosses in the game which you are able to use their powers if you have them equipped. When you summon them to fight they pretty much act on their own for the most part.

Though the stats / skill bonus they give from being equipped is different.

Dont consider it anywhere near the same type of genre as SMT IV. As mentioned this is more akin to the Wizardry series with game design for the most part.

vocab

how does this compare to SMT IV? looks kinda similar with the demon system

totally different games. The demons you get are the bosses you beat. They are independent and act as a 6th party member. They have their benefits and can attack the party if you use them too much. There's no negotiation or fusion.

Parakeetman

totally different games. The demons you get are the bosses you beat. They are independent and act as a 6th party member. They have their benefits and can attack the party if you use them too much. There's no negotiation or fusion.

Its more they will attack you if you run out of the the demon gauge which is displayed at the top left of the screen. So its not like it will happen at random without you knowing. Also able to unsummon them when the gauge is getting low.

vocab

Its more they will attack you if you run out of the the demon gauge which is displayed at the top left of the screen. So its not like it will happen at random without you knowing. Also able to unsummon them when the gauge is getting low.

I knew about the gauge but I didn't know about being able to unsummon them when its getting low.

Parakeetman

I knew about the gauge but I didn't know about being able to unsummon them when its getting low.

Yeah later on its important since you will be able to run with more than 1 demon at the same time so need to unsummon one to summon the other for example. Using the activated demon skills will cost demon points too, so there is that to watch out for when summoning them / using their skills actively.

There are times the demons will pop out on their own, but at the same time usually will go back after doing whatever they want for a turn. I cant remember if having them a higher level stops this or not. But its not really a detrimental thing.

Other important bit is you only can summon an equipped demon once per battle. So keep that in mind when deciding to "close" a demon.

US cover is awesome. I've had this preordered for a while now. I'm very excited to play it finally.

I can do without the fan service stuff, but it is what it is I guess.

This. Cannot be overstated.

believe

Gbraga

Not getting this right now because I have too much on my plate, but I hope it'll get me into first person dungeon crawlers, excited to try this out.

fedexpeon

Banned
NISA's email: Yo, Demon Gaze is next week. Please check your mailing/billing address is correct.
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I have Conception to play!

Vita, best thing ever for JRPG fans since the PS2 era.

Parakeetman

Not getting this right now because I have too much on my plate, but I hope it'll get me into first person dungeon crawlers, excited to try this out.

Btw i "fixed" your avatar as best as I could. seeing those white jaggies were driving me insane.

Vr4rzqH.png

Parakeetman

barely see those jaggies without sticking my face into the monitor.

If you are using the light GAF background you wont see it. But if you use the dark background its pretty evident.

eoMIjRj.png

In other news got an LE version secured thanks to a fellow GAF member alerting me to it being back in stock. Got off the phone with NISA also confirming the order so all should be good! As always great customer support from the folks at NISA.

Top Bottom