• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Viewt

Can't disagree with ignoring Lou Malnati's. There's no denying it's a popular place, so clearly a lot of people like it, but in my personal taste, I find it very mediocre as pizza. The crust isn't satisfying at all, the sauce is a little too sweet, and the cheese lacks a signature flavor. It does everything "fine" - it's not BAD pizza, but it's not at all representative of the best Chicago has to offer.

Speaking of, YES at Bartoli's for tavern style pizza. When I want New York-style pizza, I'll usually hit up Dante's Pizzeria or NYC Bagel Deli (it's pretty fucking good). But tavern style is a joy all in itself, and when I partake, it's always Bartoli's. John's Pizzeria Ristorante is a good second choice, though it'd be a lot better if they cut the grease by like 25%.

If deep dish is a must-have for you, then Pequod's is the safest bet in town. I say this as a person who likes but does not love deep dish. It's a twice-or-three-times-a-year thing that I'll end up having when someone's visiting from out of town. I like it, but it's just a lot of food.

Boiler Room has pretty good pizza and one of the city's signature deals: The PB&J (one big slice of one-topping pizza, a PBR, and a shot of Jameson) for $8. Cash-only, but there's an ATM on-site, and you get a free shot of Jameson by turning in your receipt. Also, the service is medium-to-garbage depending on the night. Just an FYI - if a lazy restaurant staff triggers rage for you, Boiler Room is a MUST-SKIP.

Man, I could talk about pizza all fucking day.

Can't disagree with ignoring Lou Malnati's. There's no denying it's a popular place, so clearly a lot of people like it, but in my personal taste, I find it very mediocre as pizza. The crust isn't satisfying at all, the sauce is a little too sweet, and the cheese lacks a signature flavor. It does everything "fine" - it's not BAD pizza, but it's not at all representative of the best Chicago has to offer.

Speaking of, YES at Bartoli's for tavern style pizza. When I want New York-style pizza, I'll usually hit up Dante's Pizzeria or NYC Bagel Deli (it's pretty fucking good). But tavern style is a joy all in itself, and when I partake, it's always Bartoli's. John's Pizzeria Ristorante is a good second choice, though it'd be a lot better if they cut the grease by like 25%.

If deep dish is a must-have for you, then Pequod's is the safest bet in town. I say this as a person who likes but does not love deep dish. It's a twice-or-three-times-a-year thing that I'll end up having when someone's visiting from out of town. I like it, but it's just a lot of food.

Boiler Room has pretty good pizza and one of the city's signature deals: The PB&J (one big slice of one-topping pizza, a PBR, and a shot of Jameson) for $8. Cash-only, but there's an ATM on-site, and you get a free shot of Jameson by turning in your receipt. Also, the service is medium-to-garbage depending on the night. Just an FYI - if a lazy restaurant staff triggers rage for you, Boiler Room is a MUST-SKIP.

Man, I could talk about pizza all fucking day.

Truth! Tavern style thin crust is the true Chicago pizza. Deep dish is extremely #fakenews.

Jhoan

Chicago style doesn't do anything for me but I have a huge appetite and will eat anything so if Pequod's has offers a huge bang for my buck, then I'm game. I'll have it at least once since it sounds like a Halal Guys thing where it's good once in several months but not all the time. Tavern style pizza sounds good. I can see myself being in heaven drinking it with a local beer.

Otherwise New York style pizza for life. Hell I'm fine eating cheap pizza/food. It seems like Chinatown will be my haven for that stuff. I'll be haunting Division street too.

Here's my laundry list of places to visit that I took a screenshot of:
U8oyhlu.jpg

Thanks so much for this!

Jhoan

Thanks so much for this!
My pleasure! I just updated it and added in Boiler Room (with a note of the lazy staff), Dante's Pizzeria, Logan's Arcade, Galloping Ghost (a big maybe for me due to it being outside the city), Starapolska, La Bomba, Cho Sun Ok, and Hopleaf. When in doubt, wing it.

HawkeyeIC

Tried pequods on multiple occasions thinking I was missing something. I'm not. It's garbage. The only consistently good deep dish in the city is Art of Pizza.

I want to see some of you Chicago GAFers live in Southern California for 3 years like I have. Frozen Lou's I had this week was awfully good compared to the crap they call pizza here that I have to put up with.

Viewt

I want to see some of you Chicago GAFers live in Southern California for 3 years like I have. Frozen Lou's I had this week was awfully good compared to the crap they call pizza here that I have to put up with.

This is what I keep hearing from friends who've moved to the West Coast. This girl I know was visiting in from Seattle, and savored every slice of Bartoli's we had because everything in Washington is hot garbage compared to Chicago pizza.

Like, Seattle has legit amazing food, so it's not that big a deal, but losing excellent pizza would be a bummer if we end up moving there.

Jhoan

I looked at the forecast and the weather looks like it's going to suck throughout the entirety of my stay as it'll be raining a few days, overcast/in the 40-50s few days, and breezy one day. I'll pack some extra socks, a pair of boots, and an umbrella.:(

It appears to be true that the midwest is much colder than the northeast but you guys must be used to it. Either way, the weather won't deter the sightseeing/walking if it's not too bad.

I've heard this from so many friends that have moved to the west coast. It would be so sad to leave behind my Chicago food staples. Not being able to get an Italian beef? Tragic.

I looked at the forecast and the weather looks like it's going to suck throughout the entirety of my stay as it'll be raining a few days, overcast/in the 40-50s few days, and breezy one day. I'll pack some extra socks, a pair of boots, and an umbrella.:(

It appears to be true that the midwest is much colder than the northeast but you guys must be used to it. Either way, the weather won't deter the sightseeing/walking if it's not too bad.

Weather has changed, sunny and 50s! I was worried that my buddy coming out would have to deal with shitty weather, but it's not too bad now. But not amazing compared to the past couple of days.

Jhoan

Weather has changed, sunny and 50s! I was worried that my buddy coming out would have to deal with shitty weather, but it's not too bad now. But not amazing compared to the past couple of days.
That's good because I'm leaving my boots. I hope it continues changing and improving. I need to pack up tonight. So not looking forward to it since traveling causes great anxiety in me due to last minute stuff. Once I pay the hostel tomorrow, I can breathe a little easier. All this stuff about liquids not being allowed on carry-on bags is royal pain in the ass.

Hey guys, how is traffic for C2E2 weekend? If I'm in Park Ridge, should I expect a lot of traffic if I need to get there by 9:30?

It's a Friday morning, I would expect normal rush hour traffic if you're trying to get there by 9:30. I'll be coming from the North West, my plan is to leave by 8am to get there and find parking without too much hassle.

Jhoan

Taking the blue line to Jackson/my hostel now. The CTA is pretty much the MTA. Very easy to use the machine. The city is gorgeous so far! Took me 4 hours to get here since there was a delay. I can't wait to look around after I check in and acclimate myself.

Jhoan

My hostel is flippin awesome. Pool, free beer, free food, and breakfast? Sign me up! Also Columbia University to remind me of home.

Charcoal

Hey guys, I've been an Illinois resident all of my life, but I'm finally moving to Chicago on the 13th! If anyone wants to get together for food or drinks, that would be awesome!

Jhoan

Made it to Pequod's all the way by foot from my hostel. I'm taking the train back because I'm exhausted. Long ass walk to get here.

Jhoan

Woke up with a hangover this morning. It knocked out nearly half of my day but I'm feeling a lot better. En route to McCormick Place now. Probably gonna to straight to the Crew room after I get my badge and shirt to eat some lunch I bought.

A coworker just talked me into going to C2E2 this Sunday. Should be good.

I went today as well. It's the first time I've gone in a couple years and i felt that it was crazy packed. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

My daughter was toddling around as a tiny Wonder Woman.

I went today as well. It's the first time I've gone in a couple years and i felt that it was crazy packed. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

My daughter was toddling around as a tiny Wonder Woman.

Sunday is always super packed. I went Friday this year and it was chill as hell, not too many people.

Jhoan

Still got another night in Chicago to go before I check out and hold my bags until around 6pm. C2E2 was a lot of fun, very easy to work having done NYCC for 6 years but challenging nonetheless. Saw the bean but it was full of tourists left and right ala Times Square. Will go to the Navy Pier, Revolution Brewing, and more. It's going to be weird not going to a con and having a full day and a half to use but it will be fun.

Jhoan

I'm heading to the Sears Tower since I bought a ticket. I want to get the Navy Pier in and walk along the lakeside drive by Grant Park. Have train fare, will travel so I'm down to meet up with anyone since I'm bored.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm heading to the Sears Tower since I bought a ticket. I want to get the Navy Pier in and walk along the lakeside drive by Grant Park. Have train fare, will travel so I'm down to meet up with anyone since I'm bored.

Sears tower was a terrible experience for me in December. Hated it. Took forever to get up there and the day I went there was even a line to get back on the elevator to exit so I was stuck up there waiting in line to get OUT. If you see a line in the lobby, bail out.

Jhoan

Sears tower was a terrible experience for me in December. Hated it. Took forever to get up there and the day I went there was even a line to get back on the elevator to exit so I was stuck up there waiting in line to get OUT. If you see a line in the lobby, bail out.
No line at all but I saw it and it was cool. Not OMG AMAZING! I was irritated by the tourists there but I got my obligatory pics and just left. I'm heading up to Portillo's now. I also need some beer so will go to Revolution Brewing as well.

Jhoan

DP but Portillo's lives up to its name. Some damn good hot dogs with some beer. I love the inclusion of a pickle since I go crazy for them. I find it jarring that it's in front of the coolest looking McDonald's I've ever seen with statues and all and a Rainforest Cafe. I find the interior decor to be quite overwhelming but yet charming as sin. You don't see this in New York. The way they announce orders reminds me of Good Burger the movie.

That's clearly the River North location. I look longingly at it every time my kids want McDonald's across the street, dreaming of what could be if they had better taste. :)

Jhoan

Final day in the city before I take the L to O'Hare around 5:30pm. I'm checking out at 11 but will leave my bags at the desk. Either the Museum of Science and Industry or the Art Institute. You guys decide for me. I also want to get Chinatown in to see how it compares to NY and Boston. I might not return next year but I've enjoyed my time in the city. Went to the northern most Cape of North Avenue Beach to reflect on my last night and sketched the little lighthouse there.

dawgparty

Hey all, my birthday is coming up in about a week and a half and I'm trying to figure out something fun to do. It won't be warm enough to go to the beach and that was basically my only idea. My friends and I love drinking, video games, and being outside. No sports though.

Hey all, my birthday is coming up in about a week and a half and I'm trying to figure out something fun to do. It won't be warm enough to go to the beach and that was basically my only idea. My friends and I love drinking, video games, and being outside. No sports though.

Galloping Ghost and then the bar?

Final day in the city before I take the L to O'Hare around 5:30pm. I'm checking out at 11 but will leave my bags at the desk. Either the Museum of Science and Industry or the Art Institute. You guys decide for me. I also want to get Chinatown in to see how it compares to NY and Boston. I might not return next year but I've enjoyed my time in the city. Went to the northern most Cape of North Avenue Beach to reflect on my last night and sketched the little lighthouse there.

Can't go wrong with either one. MSI is more interactive but it's kind of a trek to get out to Hyde Park. Art Institute is world class and in the city.

Minghin or Cai for dim sum if you go.

Jhoan

Can't go wrong with either one. MSI is more interactive but it's kind of a trek to get out to Hyde Park. Art Institute is world class and in the city.

Minghin or Cai for dim sum if you go.
Art Institute it is. They have a Helio Oiticica exhibition that I wanted to see the moment my tour guide mentioned it. It's interactive too. I studied his art in a Latin American art history class. If I can squeeze MSI in, I will. Otherwise, I'll do the Art Institute, walk along Grant Park heading south, and do Chinatown. Somewhere along the way, I'll make a quick stop for some last minute local beers. It's a shame I won't be able to get to any of the breweries since it's a bit of a trek. :(

DP but Portillo's lives up to its name. Some damn good hot dogs with some beer. I love the inclusion of a pickle since I go crazy for them. I find it jarring that it's in front of the coolest looking McDonald's I've ever seen with statues and all and a Rainforest Cafe. I find the interior decor to be quite overwhelming but yet charming as sin. You don't see this in New York. The way they announce orders reminds me of Good Burger the movie.

Portillo's is the bomb, glad you got a chance to try it (even if you slept on getting an Italian beef). That one is like the flagship store, most of the others aren't that over the top in terms of decor.

Also fun fact about that McDonald's -- before it was redone about 10 years ago, it used to be called the Rock 'n Roll McDonald's and have a rock and roll themed decor. I went to a lot of birthday parties there as a kid and have vague memories of the party room in the basement having a weird, slightly unsettling Yellow Submarine mural. I'm sad they redid it, the new death star McDonald's they have there isn't nearly as charming or campy.

Portillo's is the bomb, glad you got a chance to try it (even if you slept on getting an Italian beef). That one is like the flagship store, most of the others aren't that over the top in terms of decor.

Also fun fact about that McDonald's -- before it was redone about 10 years ago, it used to be called the Rock 'n Roll McDonald's and have a rock and roll themed decor. I went to a lot of birthday parties there as a kid and have vague memories of the party room in the basement having a weird, slightly unsettling Yellow Submarine mural. I'm sad they redid it, the new death star McDonald's they have there isn't nearly as charming or campy.

It's still called that. They have a little display of 50s memorabilia outside.

Fun fact I learned when I worked for McDonald's HQ 20 years ago. That used to be a franchise and not a company-owned store, until the operator got busted for running drugs out of the basement. That allowed Corp to take it over (which I am sure they were happy to do, as it was very profitable).

Take all with the grains of salt required for 20-year-old memories of company rumors.

Jhoan

Aww, maybe I can squeeze it in. I just saw Greg Rucka walking in front of the Art Institute talking on his phone. I sniped a paparazzi pic of him walking down Michigan.

Sai-kun

Banned
It's still called that. They have a little display of 50s memorabilia outside.

Fun fact I learned when I worked for McDonald's HQ 20 years ago. That used to be a franchise and not a company-owned store, until the operator got busted for running drugs out of the basement. That allowed Corp to take it over (which I am sure they were happy to do, as it was very profitable).

Take all with the grains of salt required for 20-year-old memories of company rumors.

this is some legit trivia bro

damn

Jhoan

At this rate, I'm going to be in Art Institute until 3:30 or 4 because I'm still not done looking at stuff. I really want to get to the modern art section to cap it off but I took a detour into the medieval art section. It's quite impressive and as impressive as The Met's collection.

At this rate, I'm going to be in Art Institute until 3:30 or 4 because I'm still not done looking at stuff. I really want to get to the modern art section to cap it off but I took a detour into the medieval art section. It's quite impressive and as impressive as The Met's collection.

It's a world class art museum.

Jhoan

It's a world class art museum.
Not to mention that I'm an aspiring artist who studied art/art history in undergrad so I'm geeking out. It may very well end up being the case where I'll wander into a random bar near The Loop to get a few drinks in before I have to leave for the airport. I have two rides in my card though. If anyone needs a to get somewhere, I'd be happy to give the plastic card away or else I'll either keep it and use it as a debit card or give it away to random person.

Jhoan

Went into the modern art section super fast since I spent too much time in the old section. Got to see and interact with some of Oiticica's stuff. It was FUCKING AWESOME! I'm sad I didn't spend much time in the modern wing but if it's one thing I would recommend seeing since it's in town for one more week, it's the Oiticica exhibition. Staff told me it's going to NY next so I'm going to experience it to the fullest then.

Went into the modern art section super fast since I spent too much time in the old section. Got to see and interact with some of Oiticica's stuff. It was FUCKING AWESOME! I'm sad I didn't spend much time in the modern wing but if it's one thing I would recommend seeing since it's in town for one more week, it's the Oiticica exhibition. Staff told me it's going to NY next so I'm going to experience it to the fullest then.

I saw the exhibit about a month ago. I wasn't too familiar with his work but it was fascinating. The penetrables and recreated Tropicalia were really great.

It's my favorite museum in the city.... hell my wife and I got married there.

Jhoan

I saw the exhibit about a month ago. I wasn't too familiar with his work but it was fascinating. The penetrables and recreated Tropicalia were really great.

It's my favorite museum in the city.... hell my wife and I got married there.
Say what?! That's pretty damn cool man! Which wing did you get married in? I enjoyed the hell out of it so no regrets. It's basically MoMA fused together with The Met. Unfortunately it moving to NYC means it's going to be flooded with shit tons of more tourists and selfie sticks if it ends up where I think it's going to go (MoMA). :(

I'm on my plane now and once again because it's raining in NYC, mother nature decides to delay us. I had a lot of fun in Chicago as there was so much I wanted to see but didn't get to. I did walk along the Grant Park shore and took pics of that view including some ducks. However, since my phone's battery was low, I didn't get a chance to take a picture in front of Lake Michigan but it sure looks gorgeous during the day!At least I'm happy that I drank plenty of beer, my digestion system isn't a mess, and I don't have con flu. *knocks on wood*

I like that the CTA is lightning fast and got me to the airport in about 35 minutes. In NYC, had I taken the train to JFK, it would have probably delayed. Not sure if I'm a fan of deep dish pizza but it's a meal in and of itself. I'll have more thoughts to say about Chicago once I'm sitting behind my laptop again. Suffice to say, the women are attractive as a single guy.

Top Bottom