• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Region-Locked on PS3 - Confirmed [PR statement in OP]

I really hope so...

I will write to the companies involved tomorrow, if I were to write it now I couldn't avoid some venom spilling into the text.
Also MichM, sorry if I sound rude in answering, but I'm really disappointed by this development as an European customer.

Cactus

Banned
Oh and could we perhaps stop with the "ITZ ARE ALL ZENZ FAULTZ WE LUV U ATLUZ" speculation that people have pulled entirely out of their arse? The official statement from Atlus linked in the EGM article states that the game is locked in ALL regions i.e. NA, EU and JPN, and its pretty fucking unlikely that Zen is responsible for the Japanese version being region locked

Relax. We're just speculating.

For the record, since the Japanese version is essentially the same as the North American version, it would make sense to lock that one as well if the Zen theory is, in fact, the correct one.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Question because people aren't explicit about it; but those who said they are not buying it, are they Americans who can actually play the US release but choose not to, or Europeans who wouldn't be able to play it anyway? Also, would the European would-be-importers buy the eventual European release? Because if so, Atlus and Zen would've achieved what they set out to do anyway. (Assuming the region locking is mainly to ensure European sales don't suffer from imports).

Omikaru

That's a relief, at least. Thanks for clarifying that. Still disappointed at this decision for P4A, but I'm hoping that P4G not having a lock is a sign going forward that this is probably a one-off.

Question because people aren't explicit about it; but those who said they are not buying it, are they Americans who can actually play the US release but choose not to, or Europeans who wouldn't be able to play it anyway? Also, would the European would-be-importers buy the eventual European release? Because if so, Atlus and Zen would've achieved what they set out to do anyway. (Assuming the region locking is mainly to ensure European sales don't suffer from imports).
UK here. I was actually going to wait for the EU release for a change (under the assumption that the delay wouldn't be too long), but I don't like the idea of region blocking PS3 games, so I'm not buying it at all now.

For what it's worth, Persona 2: Innocent Sin's EU release was pretty close to the US one, so I waited for that too. I'd rather buy locally as it's usually cheaper by a few pounds (would've cost me £32-£33 to get P2: IS on import, or £29.99 locally), but I'm happy to pay the import fees if there's a long wait.

Dantis

Who is going to clean up all these knocked over magazine racks in this thread?

Well, at least that made me smile.

On topic though, I'm really upset by this. I know there's the whole "You're not a US customer and therefore not a part of the our demographic" thing, but that only goes so far. I buy the games and the CDs and the art books, and you know what? Excluding the PS2 games, it all comes from imports. This region lock is Atlus kicking us in the balls, and the fact they've only announced it after someone asked a question on their forums is insane.

Seriously, I know it's petty and stupid and unfair, but I hope this game tanks. I love the Persona team, but hey, they'll be fine regardless of how this does.

Atlus, you guys suck.

Uthred

If you live in the US and you were already planning to buy this game then there is no logical reason you should choose to boycott the title. It's a decision that doesn't affect you as a consumer. The mass outrage at a decision thats completely irrelevant is pretty asinine. Even more so if you haven't taken this stance before and have supported companies that support region locking like Nintendo.

Now if you're living in Europe then you can bitch all you want. But it might not be Atlus you want to direct your bitching at.

If youre living in the US you should take a second to think whether you want to support anit-consumer practices such as region locking, oh but wait, that would get in the way of your blatant self intrest

Phoenixus

It being the first fully region locked PS3 game will certainly give it a lot more publicity, though I don't think Atlus understand how negative press can hinder your sales.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Europe publisher for P4A is pushing this hard to get it to sell, people importing because of the release distance will be money loss

Every publisher in the world will push and want their game to sell, yet no one did it before on PS3 why?,so yeah this is no excuse, not at all, this is a shit move from Atlus and Zen to cut imports because they can.

they deserve no sale for this, they both deserve boycotting.

BlackJace

Hey hey, wishing for bad sales isn't cool. Real people can be affected by this. The bastards who decided this will be the last people to lose their jobs/have their pay cut.

extralite

You can use U.S issued credit cards on the JP eshop so there's no reason to buy the U.S one.
You can? My European credit card worked on the Wii Shopping Channel and on DSiWare but I had no luck with the eShop. Using prepaid cards instead.

My case isn't exactly the same but I'd think they wouldn't make a difference between US and Euro cards.

As for this first region locked PS3 game, I bought a Japanese PS3 for exactly this reason, so I couldn't be locked out if someone decided to use the still existing region lock. But my first PS3 YLODed so I had to buy a European Slim. Hope no other publishers (or even other Atus games) follow this trend, don't care much about Arena though.

I still think most people's reactions here are a bit excessive, not to say immature. If you really want to play the game, buy it when you get the chance.

BTW, Japanese gamers and movie goers have to wait ages for our games and movies too. Heck, even I have to wait for Western games to play them on WiiWare or DSiWare.

I'm a European who would have imported but now will not (Because I'm not able to) and I will not purchase the EU version when it eventually releases either

I refuse to wait several months to play a game that is already available to play in my language, I'll just spend my money elsewhere

Gaming companies arent your friends, the relationship between publisher and consumer is a purely financial one. Now certainly they can garner "goodwill" and enhance brand loyalty but they arent selling these games as a favour to us, theyre selling them at a profit as a business. As such whenever they make a business decision that people find unpopular they should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

The only thing thats ridiculous is the slavish unthinking loyalty displayed by consumers such as yourselves who are all too happy to acquiese to whatever bullshit publishers come out with.

So because I disagree with the outrage over this, I'm an unthinking peon?

Cool.

I still think most people's reactions here are a bit excessive, not to say immature. If you really want to play the game, buy it when you get the chance.

Do you seriously not understand why releasing a game with online functions much later in Europe can affect the community?

*Note that this thing wouldn't be a problem if the exact release date was known. If it's just a couple of weeks, no biggie. But a horror scenario could be 3 months.

This probably have to do with DLC unique characters from other Atlus games that've been released in Japan but not in America

That a European distributor forced this into a contract with Atlus is the only explanation that makes even a little bit of sense to me. I don't fully understand why Atlus would sign it, unless they're deaf to the constant howls of impatience from their European fans.

Considering that the European publisher in question has failed in making Aksys Games or indeed their parent company, Arc Systemworks, to region lock any of their PS3 versions makes me inclined to believe that this decision is 100% on Atlus. After all, Atlus has significantly more money and power than Aksys, and yet Zen United managed to make Atlus region lock their game and Aksys doesn't follow suit? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm European. If the game gets delayed to 2013 in Europe I won't even bother buying it. There's an incredible amount of titles coming out in Q1/Q2 of 2013. My money goes to devs and pubs who are actually able to release something worldwide in at least a week's or month's timespan.

P4A was great because due to the US release date I could fit it into my buying schedule and could make some time free to actually play it (a great late-summer game). Delaying the title to later in the year or even Q1/Q2 in Europe will sent it to die even more than it will die now (let's be honest, this game won't sell a lot of copies). I will not buy it on principle if the above happens, and if I actually would buy it, it would be second hand (which I never do because I like to support devs for their efforts). I know Atlus probably shrugs at a simple consumer like me doing something like that, but I think I should stand by my principles.

If the same thing happens for P4G it will be painful because I want to play the game really bad, but I won't budge. I could always go the hypocritical route and ask it for my bday, but then at least Atlus didn't get MY money :D.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this.

Dantis

Hey hey, wishing for bad sales isn't cool. Real people can be affected by this. The bastards who decided this will be the last people to lose their jobs/have their pay cut.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to lose a job over this.

But I also don't want this particular game to succeed.

Ryuukan

If youre living in the US you should take a second to think whether you want to support anit-consumer practices such as region locking, oh but wait, that would get in the way of your blatant self intrest

Last I checked, this thread was about people who are buying video games for themselves. So yes, blatant self interest indeed.

People are really going to miss out on a good fighter, the most played one in Japan. But whatever, I'll still continue to support this game in the FGC.

edit

And people thinking this game won't be big in the FGC. Note that this is the anime fighter flagship. A lot of people from all the anime fighter communities are going to support this game hard to be at MLG/EVO. Of course this game won't have the sales of a capcom fighter but it will still be big nonetheless.

Shinriji

I don't approve region locks because I import some PS3 and Vita games from Japan. But, on the other side I'm quite curious to see what is the message that is displayed when a game is region locked.

Dantis

People are really going to miss out on a good fighter, the most played one in Japan. But whatever, I'll still continue to support this game in the FGC.

But hopefully not the most played one in the west, AM I RIGHT?

You know what would be funny? If Atlus' blunder gave DOA5 a sales boost. I think it's entirely possible now.

Theonik

It's most definitely true. SCE has always given publishers choice.
Well since FW3.50 iirc which was back in 2009/10. Only other thing which I recall was kinda region locked on PS3 was the GOW collection which had its bonus videos in DVD format and while they played from the video tab on a PAL PS3 they lagged so much they were unwatchable.
Edit:
I don't approve region locks because I import some PS3 and Vita games from Japan. But, on the other side I'm quite curious to see what is the message that is displayed when a game is region locked.
It should look like this.

Uthred

Last I checked, this thread was about people who are buying video games for themselves. So yes, blatant self interest indeed.

Purchasing a game is a neutral act - it affects no one other than yourself - self interest doesnt really come into it, purchasing a game which sets a precedent which could negatively affect subsequent games and other people purely to satisfy your own needs - blatant self interest. Its not like its a particularly subtle distinction.

I also thought at the start of this gen that the rise of digital distribution would make these 'issues' less frequent.

How wrong I was..... :(

denshuu

So can someone please explain to me why I care if this game is region locked or not? Is there some reason why I'd want to buy the Japanese or PAL version of the game when they're all identical except for the language of the text, and are all coming out within the same one month period? I'm not talking broad, general reasons for not supporting region locking in every game that comes out. I'm talking specifically, what was it about Persona 4 Arena that you were looking forward to but can't enjoy now that you know you have to buy the version coming out in your country?

TGMIII

Shame it's not going to be supported by the community. It'll end up like BB all over again with people not bothering to go to majors. I hope I'm wrong though.

Andrefpvs

But, on the other side I'm quite curious to see what is the message that is displayed when a game is region locked.

Here you go:
JRUIq.jpg

Uthred

So can someone please explain to me why I care if this game is region locked or not? Is there some reason why I'd want to buy the Japanese or PAL version of the game when they're all identical except for the language of the text, and are all coming out within the same one month period?

Perhaps if you read the rest of the thread you would see that question has been asked and answered before and that there is no confirmed release date for Europe?

Hey, guess what? People make mistakes sometimes. I was honestly under the impression that the region locking stuff wasn't available from the start.

No offence, as I do listen to WAHP, but maybe you shouldn't mention it if you're just going off the words of a random guy on a message board.

Sony's always advertised PS Vita games as being region free. If P4G wasn't then you'd probably have a very good case of false advertising & have the ability to return the product for a full refund. At least in Europe.

No they haven't. They've said that the Vita is the same as the PSP and PS3, entirely up to the publisher.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is? If my money is instead spent on other games (like TTT2 or DOA6), who do you think will benefit from that? Fake people?

And what message do you think those "last people" will get if there's no fallout? It'll be "we can continue to assholes and there'll be no consequences." Fuck that. Fuck Atlus.

DiGiKerot

That a European distributor forced this into a contract with Atlus is the only explanation that makes even a little bit of sense to me. I don't fully understand why Atlus would sign it, unless they're deaf to the constant howls of impatience from their European fans.

Shifts in exchange rates mean that Japanese software prices that were roughly at parity with US ones at the start of the current console generation now look incredibly expensive by US standards. At the same time, it's not like people in Japan are suddenly getting paid way less, or it's gotten cheaper to develop a game like this in Japan, or that they are going to drop the cost of all games in Japan purely due to external factors.

Like it or not, this is a game in a fairly niche genre, based upon another (admittedly more popular than most) game in another niche genre, that also happens to be a Japanese game. The primary market for this is Japan, and that's probably were they're looking to make most of their revenue on the title. The problem is that the ludicrously strong yen has lead to a significant increase in the reverse importation of entertainment media back into Japan from other territories - particularly the US - where it's suddenly gone from being slightly cheaper to being way, way cheaper. This is why a number of Japanese anime labels have recently been making moves to revoke or deny Blu-Ray media rights to their foreign licensors, and why Funimation aren't releasing the likes of Panty and Stocking on BD.

This is probably normally less of an issue, but this is a fighting game being released in the US real close to the Japanese release. Language is rather less of an issue than it would be for, say, an RPG, and the fact it is a fighting game means that they've been able to get it localised so quickly (it wouldn't shock me if, region lock aside, the US and JP disks have exactly the same software on them, multi-language for everything). The alternative is probably that they'd release the US version months later, and that'd just end up leading to just as many, if not even more, complaints.

Not trying to defend region locking or anything (or say that European partners have nothing to do with this, just presenting the alternative plausible argument) - I mean, I'm a Brit myself, so this stuff effects me. Someone in Japan is probably seeing this as a necessary evil towards actually being able to turn a profit on developing a niche HD-generation game like this, rightly or wrongly.

(Anecdotally, on the subject of it maybe being a European partner issue, I do know that one of my local gaming chains imported a whole bunch of copies of the US PS3 release of Catherine well in advance of the EU release, which also meant that they basically ordered in zero copies of the EU PS3 release when it came out. That had to suck for whoever release it over here).

Omikaru

So can someone please explain to me why I care if this game is region locked or not? Is there some reason why I'd want to buy the Japanese or PAL version of the game when they're all identical except for the language of the text, and are all coming out within the same one month period? I'm not talking broad, general reasons for not supporting region locking in every game that comes out. I'm talking specifically, what was it about Persona 4 Arena that you were looking forward to but can't enjoy now that you knowyou have to buy the version coming out in your country?

We actually don't know when the PAL version is coming out. Some retailers say August 31st, but that could be a placeholder. For what it's worth, Zen Unlimited (the European distributor) are notoriously bad at release dates, and LEs, and just everything in general. They're awful.

Europe could be waiting until next year for this. In fact, I reckon I'll be playing my import of Persona 4 Golden before I can waltz down to GAME and buy Persona 4 Arena.

Learn to read. No release date.

Uthred

Whats weird (and argues against Zen having anything to do with this) is that this doesnt even seem to make sense from a business perspective. With the game releasing at the beginning of August it was one of the only big release in a relatively dead month. But if it releases in Europe at the end of August as has been speculated then its running into the release window for Dead or Alive 5 and Tekken Tag Tournement 2. Both of which have a lot more attraction with the general public than a semi-obscure 2D anime fighter.

NiBear

Banned
You can? My European credit card worked on the Wii Shopping Channel and on DSiWare but I had no luck with the eShop. Using prepaid cards instead.

Yep. American credit cards work on the JP eShop. At least on the JP 3DS.
Bought all fire emblem 3DS' paid DLC maps and several virtual console titles without problem.

Shame it's not going to be supported by the community. It'll end up like BB all over again with people not bothering to go to majors. I hope I'm wrong though.

I doubt it. BB failed because of multitude of reasons, also didn't help that the anime community was split between AH3, MB, GG, BB and so on. But it seems like a lot of people are pushing this to be the game they will all support. Also to add in the fact that Carlos the CM of fighters at MLG is pushing this game to be at MLG. Now add the fact that Atlus has a booth at EVO and is also pushing hard for exposure.

Its all about timing and support. The game is being released at the best time, and it is accessible to new people unlike KOF or BB. So this game has a very good chance of being supported by the FGC.

But hopefully not the most played one in the west, AM I RIGHT?

You know what would be funny? If Atlus' blunder gave DOA5 a sales boost. I think it's entirely possible now.

It will be the most played anime fighter in the west hands down. There is no game that can come close. KOF13 doesn't have a big community outside Socal in the U.S and that is partially due to 1) bad netcode and 2) it wasn't an accessible game to newcomers. P4A doesn't have those issues especially if they use the same netcode from BB.

Also I was going to buy DOA5 day one but only if the netcode is good and the game is good. DOA being ass since 3 is very off putting.

And what message do you think those "last people" will get if there's no fallout? It'll be "we can continue to assholes and there'll be no consequences." Fuck that. Fuck Atlus.

Yep.

It also needs to be stressed that this is one of the first which actually actively decides to use region lock 6-7 years into a console's lifecycle. Sony gave you the right to region lock sure, but if 99% of other devs don't use it and you like to praise your fanbase for their allegiance and support, some self reflection in this situation wouldn't hurt you Atlus.

Great explanation

Sadly money screws everything up again.

Uthred

Perhaps you could have used those two seconds to actually read what I wrote as opposed to regurgitating already known information? You initially wondered why people were complaining about it because it was coming out everywhere in the same month, I responded that there was no confirmed release date for Europe i.e. we dont know if its coming out in the same month, and then you linked an article saying it was coming out in Europe but with no release date...bravo

Daimaou

The region lock is disappointing, but hardly egregious.

The amount of sabre rattling in this thread is ridiculous.

Top Bottom