• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Region-Locked on PS3 - Confirmed [PR statement in OP]

With all the parties involved in this particular game: Atlus JP, Atlus US, Arc System Works, and Zen. It is very hard to actually know where the break in the line is. I think anyone blaming Atlus is jumping to conclusions hard right now.

Uthred

The amount of sabre rattling in this thread is ridiculous.

Isnt it rather presumptuous to assume that all the people who said they werent going to buy a copy actually will? Perhaps you should use your amazing psychic powers for good

With all the parties involved in this particular game: Atlus JP, Atlus US, Arc System Works, Aksys, and Zen. It is very hard to actually know where the break in the line is. I think anyone blaming Atlus is jumping to conclusions hard right now.

Considering that the largest beast in there is the two Atlus divisions, until we get information to the contrary I think they should get the torch n pitchfork treatment, especially if anyone else announces that they're going to start region locking PS3 games.

evanmisha

I'm in Canada with a local PS3, and I was planning on buying this game but can no longer justify the purchase.

Completely regardless of the reason, the thought of buying the very first region locked PS3 game in a 5+ year library just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And furthermore, I feel like it does affect me. Every hurricane starts with a single drop of rain. If I don't want this to become a trend, I have to put my money where my mouth is.

I don't think Europeans are the real victims here, it's gotta be the developers. Sorry guys, the game seems great, but I just can't reward this decision. It's a crying shame Atlus had to put your livelihoods in the middle of all this.

graywolf323

With all the parties involved in this particular game: Atlus JP, Atlus US, Arc System Works, Aksys, and Zen. It is very hard to actually know where the break in the line is. I think anyone blaming Atlus is jumping to conclusions hard right now.

what does Aksys have to do with this game? they aren't the publisher nor do they own Arc System Works (they are just the usual publisher for ASW's games in America)

The region lock is disappointing, but hardly egregious.

The amount of sabre rattling in this thread is ridiculous.

the sabre rattling is because of the possible implications of starting down this slippery slope, if region locking suddenly becomes common for PS3 then we in America would never get to enjoy games like Aquanaut's Holiday

TGMIII

I doubt it. BB failed because of multitude of reasons, also didn't help that the anime community was split between AH3, MB, GG, BB and so on. But it seems like a lot of people are pushing this to be the game they will all support. Also to add in the fact that Carlos the CM of fighters at MLG is pushing this game. Now add the fact that Atlus has a booth at EVO and is also pushing hard for exposure.

Its all about timing and support. The game is being released at the best time, and it is accessible to new people unlike KOF or BB. So this game has a very good chance of being supported by the FGC.

BB very clearly failed because majors stopped caring about it because no one showed up, the numbers were tiny compared to every other game. MB & GG had no tournament presence around the time of BB apart from majors like final round, who run everything anyway, and AH3 didn't even come out until 2011 while CT released in 2009 and CS in 2010 and it was on a life-line at that point. The "anime game" players just don't bother so they don't get any respect from majors. I already talked to people like LordKnight who think the game will lose steam after the first two majors.

MLG also doesn't mean shit, which is clearly evidenced by the turn out they get currently. It hasn't helped any of the games that they run so why would it help this of all games? Like I said I hope I'm wrong and I'll be supporting the game at my local scene but all you have to do is look back and see that it's got a hard road ahead of it.

Whats weird (and argues against Zen having anything to do with this) is that this doesnt even seem to make sense from a business perspective. With the game releasing at the beginning of August it was one of the only big release in a relatively dead month. But if it releases in Europe at the end of August as has been speculated then its running into the release window for Dead or Alive 5 and Tekken Tag Tournement 2. Both of which have a lot more attraction with the general public than a semi-obscure 2D anime fighter.

How is August a dead month? There are three or four huge releases that month. Unless you meant within the fighter genre, which is even sillier given how sparse the genre is.

Well champ you were the one saying that because Atlus import and translate niche games that we shouldnt complain.

Yeah, and I stand by that for the same reason you responded. They're in it to make money, niche titles aren't breaking sales records. I'd rather have a niche title with region locking than no title at all.

Its not like NA hasn't had similar problems as Europe does, Operation Rainfall wasn't all that long ago.

Ryuukan

Isnt it rather presumptuous to assume that all the people who said they werent going to buy a copy actually will? Perhaps you should use your amazing psychic powers for good

Being an asshole to everyone in this thread will certainly get your tinfoil hat agenda across well.

what does Aksys have to do with this game? they aren't the publisher nor do they own Arc System Works (they are just the usual publisher for ASW's games in America)

Ahh, I was under the impression that they were on it in some capacity because I think James from Aksys was doing some demos of the game at E3. But if that is not the case then I stand corrected.

Edit: went back and edited my post as well.

daegan

If youre living in the US you should take a second to think whether you want to support anit-consumer practices such as region locking, oh but wait, that would get in the way of your blatant self intrest

So you don't have a 3DS, Wii, PS2, PS1, various Sega systems, etc etc?

I'm disappointed but I literally can't get my money back for it, and I wouldn't anyway. I talked with Cheesemeister a bit about this last night on Twitter, but my feelings are that as long as it's hitting all regions it's not a dealbreaker for me personally.

I am hoping that ATLUS (particularly in the US) realizes that they are in a delicate situation; that unfortunately the games they sell are aimed at a super niche market who will take this action seriously. If this is something that occurs in the future it needs to be with the guarantee of a timely tri-region release.

Uthred

Being an asshole to everyone in this thread will certainly get your tinfoil hat agenda across well.

Ah right disagreeing with two or three people = being an asshole. I'm sorry that it hurts your precious feelings when people dont agree with your opinion. And I would love if you could outline my "tinfoil hat agenda" as even I seem to be unaware of it. What particularl outre conspiracy theory am I pushing? Its not like I said the freemasons are controlling atlus by way of the bavarian illuminati and that the games region locked because the stars are right

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm in Canada with a local PS3, and I was planning on buying this game but can no longer justify the purchase.

Completely regardless of the reason, the thought of buying the very first region locked PS3 game in a 5+ year library just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And furthermore, I feel like it does affect me. Every hurricane starts with a single drop of rain. If I don't want this to become a trend, I have to put my money where my mouth is.

I don't think Europeans are the real victims here, it's gotta be the developers. Sorry guys, the game seems great, but I just can't reward this decision. It's a crying shame Atlus had to put your livelihoods in the middle of all this.

100% agree. Didn't buy D3 cause I don't support online drm, won't buy this cause I don't support region locking.

BUT HOPEFULLY NOT AM I RIGHT?

Also, DOA4 was amazing. You're crazy.

Nope, still supporting this game hard. This game is Marvel 3 without the TOD/BS.

DOA4 was pretty bad competitively, you won't find much support for that game from the FGC. It was at EVO one year, dropped and never to come back. It was also so bad that EVO winner Perfect Legend and longtime supporter of the game Tom Brady both dropped the game. It also didn't help that the DOA4 community was total shit and had a lot of shady shit.

daegan

I'll also say that while Nich can't comment on it and it's likely that at this moment nobody can, somebody has to come clean on the reasons behind this.

Uthred

So you don't have a 3DS, Wii, PS2, PS1, various Sega systems, etc etc?

Im not entirely sure of the relevance of this, none of these systems were billed as being region free. People who pruchaseds them knew what they were getting into. For six years and hundred of release the PS3 has been region free, now Atlus are locking a game, surely you can see the difference? I mean its not as if I'm raging away here, I simply find it irritating and a poor precedent to set.

Daimaou

What? All I said is the amount of outrage in this thread is unwarranted. I dare you to make less sense.

the sabre rattling is because of the possible implications of starting down this slippery slope, if region locking suddenly becomes common for PS3 then we in America would never get to enjoy games like Aquanaut's Holiday

Slippery slopes are a logical fallacy. I also think you're giving far too much clout to Atlus, especially considering we're at the end of a system cycle. The next set of consoles could all be region locked, or completely region free.

Acosta

Outrageous, scandalous. Why you do this to us?

Years, and years of jumping through loops, having to buy more than one system to enjoy your games because your company couldn' t bother to put an office in Europe and some games would not appear here or appear one year later.

We get ONE satisfaction in form of a main console that bets on no region locking, and you do this to us? The people who has been supporting your company for years and paying money directly to you even if you didn't offer service to us in any way deserve this?

How the fuck you do this to us? We didn't deserve this shit.

BlackJace

No offence, as I do listen to WAHP, but maybe you shouldn't mention it if you're just going off the words of a random guy on a message board.

No they haven't. They've said that the Vita is the same as the PSP and PS3, entirely up to the publisher.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is? If my money is instead spent on other games (like TTT2 or DOA6), who do you think will benefit from that? Fake people?

And what message do you think those "last people" will get if there's no fallout? It'll be "we can continue to assholes and there'll be no consequences." Fuck that. Fuck Atlus.

I still stand by what I said. Having a game bomb isn't good for the people who spend hard time making it. Yes, you have a right to be upset, as I am too, but wishing for something like that in these shitty times isn't cool.

I wish there was another way we can show our disapproval.

Regardless of what happens with this, I will still support Atlus US. They have brought over so many games that probably would have never seen the light of day over here had they not been successful. I really doubt that Atlus wanted to do this at all, and until we hear firm confirmation about the "why"'s I see no reason to assume the worst.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is really unfortunate. I guess I can't play P4A without importing it now. Thanks guys.

Dantis

DOA4 was pretty bad competitively, you won't find much support for that game from the FGC. It was at EVO one year, dropped and never to come back. It was also so bad that EVO winner Perfect Legend and longtime supporter of the game Tom Brady both dropped the game. It also didn't help that the DOA4 community was total shit and had a lot of shady shit.

Ah. I don't care about any of that. If I can enjoy the game, find a game online easily and the game has good netcode, I'm set. Don't give a crap about EVO and the like.

notworksafe

What particularl outre conspiracy theory am I pushing? Its not like I said the freemasons are controlling atlus by way of the bavarian illuminati and that the games region locked because the stars are right
Well the conspiracy theory that other pubs will start region locking games because this game is region locked, for one.

Ryuukan

Ah right disagreeing with two or three people = being an asshole. I'm sorry that it hurts your precious feelings when people dont agree with your opinion. And I would love if you could outline my "tinfoil hat agenda" as even I seem to be unaware of it. What particularl outre conspiracy theory am I pushing? Its not like I said the freemasons are controlling atlus by way of the bavarian illuminati and that the games region locked because the stars are right

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm against region locking as much as I'm against forum cancer.

Omikaru

If this is something that occurs in the future it needs to be with the guarantee of a timely tri-region release.

The big irony is that if there was a timely release across all regions, there'd be no need for importing or the region lock anyway.

As I said earlier, if you want to stop imports you can use a carrot or a stick. The carrot is timely releases, the stick is region locking. The former makes your global audience very happy (importing isn't cheap, after all), the latter pisses your audience off, especially in a niche.

I think Atlus should focus on getting European deals for their games as soon as possible. They're getting better at this, but they should be laser focussed on synchronising their Western releases to within days or weeks at most. That way they put a dampener on importing and don't piss their passionate fans off in the process.

Uthred

Uthred, chill out. Some people disagree with us, deal with it.

Not entirely sure how to respond here, the purpose of a message board is surely to discuss things, as such disagreements are a given. What way would you suggest the conversation should go? "This is a thing", "I like this thing" "I do not like this thing" "The End"? Apologies if my tone has been too acerbic, Im not actually angry here just irritated.

What? All I said is the amount of outrage in this thread is unwarranted. I dare you to make less sense.

The phrase sabre rattling is an idiom which refers to people making threats they wont carry out, the only threats made in this thread is for people not to purchase the game, as such I logically assumed this is what your comment about sabre rattling referred to? I dare you to say what you mean

The only way this outrage can be calmed down is if Zen announces a release date that is reasonably close to the American version.

And if EA announces that they're now region locking all their PS3 games as a direct result of someone else doing it first?

iNZmnmbIvK7gc.jpg

And if EA announces that they're now region locking all their PS3 games as a direct result of someone else doing it first?

iNZmnmbIvK7gc.jpg

*doesn't give a shit about EA*

- Besides, they're good with release dates across different regions, like almost any other publisher. They wouldn't need to resort to region locking. This case is about a publisher with a pretty bad track record.

Uthred

Well the conspiracy theory that other pubs will start region locking games because this game is region locked, for one.

Thats not a conspiracy theory though is it, as it lacks both conspiracy (and to a large degree theory). I expressed worry that this could set an unpleasant precdent, thats a concern, not a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory.

BB very clearly failed because majors stopped caring about it because no one showed up, the numbers were tiny compared to every other game. MB & GG had no tournament presence around the time of BB apart from majors like final round, who run everything anyway, and AH3 didn't even come out until 2011 while CT released in 2009 and CS in 2010 and it was on a life-line at that point. The "anime game" players just don't bother so they don't get any respect from majors. I already talked to people like LordKnight who think the game will lose steam after the first two majors.

MLG also doesn't mean shit, which is clearly evidenced by the turn out they get currently. It hasn't helped any of the games that they run so why would it help this of all games? Like I said I hope I'm wrong and I'll be supporting the game at my local scene but all you have to do is look back and see that it's got a hard road ahead of it.

I don't know. I have a feeling that it will do better than BB at the very least. Its coming at an ideal time (right after evo) and getting exposure from people. It is also way more spectator friendly than BB (imo) thus able to draw a crowd from that. For me when I see the game, I literally see this game as Marvel 2 with more unique gameplay. I know dacidbro is trying to get norcal people to play it, and same with the FinestKO crew. All P4A needs is the right groups to like the game to do well in the FGC.

edit

Forgot Atlus backing. Atlus backed the shit out of KOF13.

NekoFever

I'm a European with a US PS3 so the region lock wouldn't stop me importing, but I won't be buying it at all now. I thought we were moving forward from a time when such a regressive, anti-consumer practice was common, and I'm not going backwards on it after years of no region coding.

In fact, if I did buy it, region-locking would cost the European distributor a sale. Now I'd have to import it from the States because I couldn't play the PAL one even if I wanted to, whereas otherwise I'd have probably just grabbed a UK copy from somewhere here for the sake of convenience.

Years, and years of jumping through loops, having to buy more than one system to enjoy your games because your company couldn' t bother to put an office in Europe and some games would not appear here or appear one year later.

We get ONE satisfaction in form of a main console that bets on no region locking, and you do this to us? The people who has been supporting your company for years and paying money directly to you even if you didn't offer service to us in any way deserve this?

this. i will always find a way to import and that will never change, but i will just sit the game out this time. it has never been easier to do this with so many games on the plate.

it's extra ridiculous if you consider how Demon's Souls got hyped by us Asia import gamers and who put the game on the map for them.

it's the greed.

Eusis

This is why a number of Japanese anime labels have recently been making moves to revoke or deny Blu-Ray media rights to their foreign licensors, and why Funimation aren't releasing the likes of Panty and Stocking on BD.
Not that stupid crap like this didn't happen with DVDs, but it does make it seem as if changing the regional coding to lump USA/Japan together was in hindsight a huge mistake.
*doesn't give a shit about EA*

- Besides, they're good with release dates across different regions, like almost any other publisher. They wouldn't need to resort to region locking. This case is about a publisher with a pretty bad track record.
Just because you don't give a shit about EA doesn't mean their choices won't affect other companies. We saw this with the manuals, Ubisoft dumped them, then EA did, then Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft started slimming down theirs, then SCEA seemingly outright blocked their inclusion with Vita games. That could admittedly be retailer pressure to get the overall package as light as possible for shipping and to save costs in production, but it's not as if everyone's their own island.

graywolf323

Ahh, I was under the impression that they were on it in some capacity because I think James from Aksys was doing some demos of the game at E3. But if that is not the case then I stand corrected.

Edit: went back and edited my post as well.

I might be mistaken but couldn't find anything about them being involved

only demo I saw from E3 was done by Aram on the PlayStation's live feed

Dachande

Fucking this. I was considering P4A recently, but not anymore because of this. Total lack of respect for your customers.

graywolf323

Slippery slopes are a logical fallacy. I also think you're giving far too much clout to Atlus, especially considering we're at the end of a system cycle. The next set of consoles could all be region locked, or completely region free.

so you wouldn't consider the first company to do a DLC season pass as having started a slippery slope?

TGMIII

I don't know. I have a feeling that it will do better than BB at the very least. Its coming at an ideal time (right after evo) and getting exposure from people. It is also way more spectator friendly than BB (imo) thus able to draw a crowd from that. For me when I see the game, I literally see this game as Marvel 2 with more unique gameplay. I know dacidbro is trying to get norcal people to play it, and same with the FinestKO crew. All P4A needs is the right groups to like the game to do well in the FGC.

It needs the same backing KoF got from LevelUp and Iplaywinner/haunts, they gave that game as much exposure as possible even before the game hit consoles. As much as I like the finalKO guys they've got no wide appeal/pull on anyone but the community that's going to play the game anyway. I hope there's room for it to stay around but it's mostly up the community, Atlus can only do so much, and when I see people already saying they're only going to play P4A until the new GG revision drops I don't have much hope.

Gbraga

Not entirely sure how to respond here, the purpose of a message board is surely to discuss things, as such disagreements are a given. What way would you suggest the conversation should go? "This is a thing", "I like this thing" "I do not like this thing" "The End"? Apologies if my tone has been too acerbic, Im not actually angry here just irritated.

It's not about not discussing, but the way you did. You definitely looked angry at other people lol

If that's not the case, my mistake.

...what trolling? All I see is stuff that was posted before this story was confirmed.

Lol reread and yes may not be trolling but been reading to much trolling topics that included ;). But they should end this madness with a release date, it will help ALOT

Let me repost my question:
"If the European version turned out to be region free how will you feel?"

So my US PS3 won't be able to play a copy I buy here in Europe...well I just went from having an interest in this game to never buying it, not enough interest to import it

And yet their twitter is just trolling people who is asking for their comments...

Let me pose a question if the European version turned out to be region free how will everyone feel?
Trolling? Surely not? They're probably not in a position to announce it yet.

God, it's all just so incredibly stupid. I was so excited, I love Persona 4. How do Atlus continue to fuck this up?

Top Bottom