• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden (Vita) -- E3 2012 Trailer

frequency

Really looking forward to this, always wanted to get into this series. Sounds weird but the fighting game is what got me interested in the characters. Love the presentation style of everything too.

Should I play any of the others before this comes out? Was looking into 3 but it doesn't look like they tie together. Are the games difficult for an average RPG player?

The story isn't tied to the others. There are a couple recurring characters but they may as well be new ones as there's never mention of past games. You'll have no problem just playing this one.

The games are more difficult than your standard JRPGs, but you should be okay as long as you're patient with it.

Really looking forward to this, always wanted to get into this series. Sounds weird but the fighting game is what got me interested in the characters. Love the presentation style of everything too.

Should I play any of the others before this comes out? Was looking into 3 but it doesn't look like they tie together. Are the games difficult for an average RPG player?

Yeah you should definitely check out Persona 3, you can get the Portable edition and play it on the Vita - it's P3 but with some changes to streamline it for a portable experience (for the better imo) They're not tied together, no, but with P3 and P4 they are very similar in gameplay and design, so it will give you a good idea of what to expect and whatnot

They're not the easiest RPGs, given that there's a lot of things to manage and juggle with your social links and planning your days so you can fit everything in along with the dungeon crawling - but certainly for Persona (and Shin Megami Tensei in general) they are the amongst the easiest for any gamer, let alone an RPG gamer.

Verelios

Looking forward to Chie <3 and I loved Catherine's VA so win-win for me.

I wonder how long end-game is going to look like. P2 was kinda short since I didn't care about it, and P3 was almost 20 hours...(maxing the compendium...is that it?).

CrazyDude

You don't have to play any of the other games to get what is going on in Persona 4. The games story are all independent from each other despite all being in the same universe. There are cameos to past games you won't get, but that it about it.

The jank-ass spell names take a long time to get used to and there are lots of 'haha you lose' moments in random encounters but if you can get over those humps the game isn't too hard. It is nevertheless in your best interest to keep a persona fusion chart nearby to get desirable skills early since it's those early levels that are most difficult to deal with.

AvQBu5CCEAAtddH.jpg:large

So sexy. There's a ridiculous amount of unlockable content in this game, holy shit.

Omikaru

My god. So much stuff in this game. Also really digging the new battle theme, and I'm glad they kept it with the original.

It's so going to be worth the £30 it's costing to import this from VG+.

frequency

We knew about that for a long time already.

I'm still a little bitter that they didn't do a female MC mode like they did with P3P.

I'm still a little bitter that they didn't do a female MC mode like they did with P3P.

They'd have to redraw all the FMV. That would probably be a massive chunk of the budget that now gets to go into adding all the new stuff.

Herla

But it makes sense for story reasons to have a male protagonist, for the whole
Izanami and Izanagi
thing.

frequency

They'd have to redraw all the FMV. That would probably be a massive chunk of the budget that now gets to go into adding all the new stuff.
Well... I would've preferred female MC and no videos like P3P.
Although maybe not. Maybe the social link is really great!

Izanami and Izanagi
thing.
Boo you and your story! (&#9573;_&#9573;)

NichM

Banned
Izanami and Izanagi
thing.

I dunno. P3's protagonist had a similar mythological echo thing going, with
Orpheus literally proceeding into the realm of Death
. But the P3P team didn't feel the need to give the female protagonist Eurydice or anything and totally screw with the meaning, they just... gave her a female Orpheus.

Cheddahz

Banned
Persona 4 is a sweet game and for anyone who hasn't played it yet, you need to play it when it comes on the Vita (though I think Teddie's new voice actor sucks)

kai3345

Banned
Lol playing OG P4 right now.

So Rise is a full party member now? Also isn't there supposed to be another new party member?

I want all of you to be honest with me. I watched a livestream series of the entire game and I know the vast majority of the stuff that happens throughout the game. Including the batshit insane
hidden ending
. I don't know If the whole social link thing is for me. But the game does look kind of kawaii and as an expert in Japanese culture I know atlus hasn't sacrificed their honour by going multiplatform. I guess what I'm trying to say is... Should I actually finally truly and irrevocably take the plunge and play the game?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I want all of you to be honest with me. I watched a livestream series of the entire game and I know the vast majority of the stuff that happens throughout the game. Including the batshit insane
hidden ending
. I don't know If the whole social link thing is for me. But the game does look kind of kawaii and as an expert in Japanese culture I know atlus hasn't sacrificed their honour by going multiplatform. I guess what I'm trying to say is... Should I actually finally truly and irrevocably take the plunge and play the game?
It depends if you don't mind OCD gameplay. If you already know exactly what happens, then most of the game will be catching all the Pokemon/Persona in the game and trying to make combinations that can successfully exploit the game system (such as having a Persona that has Victory Cry and Null All and Megidolian and so forth).

Daft_Cat

I sort of disagree with the posters saying the stories aren't connected. It's not like Final Fantasy. Both games share the same universe, and occur on a direct timeline with one another. There's also a few instances of events and characters from 3 being explicitly referenced in 4. True, if you haven't played Persona 3, then 4 works perfectly well as a stand-alone and you won't realize that you're missing out..but if you dig the lore..go for both. Persona 3 is just as good as 4. Plus, Persona 4 Arena is technically a cross-over with characters from each.

CrazyDude

I sort of disagree with the posters saying the stories aren't connected. It's not like Final Fantasy. Both games share the same universe, and occur on a direct timeline with one another. There's also a few instances of events and characters from 3 being explicitly referenced in 4. True, if you haven't played Persona 3, then 4 works perfectly well as a stand-alone and you won't realize that you're missing out..but if you dig the lore..go for both. Persona 3 is just as good as 4. Plus, Persona 4 Arena is technically a cross-over with characters from each.

Persona 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all in the same universe.

Persona 1 and the two 2 games are obviously connected.

There are references to the past characters in the past games through a tv show played in the dorm in P3.

Also in Persona 3, the fact that the Kojiro group split off from the Nanjo company. Kei Nanjo being a character from P1 and P2 who was the heir to the company.

But yeah, you can play P4 without having to play past games without any confusion.

jvalioli

hidden ending

If you watched the entire game then you know exactly what it is and what to expect. What are you asking?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Is it just me or are the textures sub-PS2 level?

You're not the only one who saw the video compression of captured Japanese gameplay, but you can tell it wasn't running off the handheld, artifacts everywhere.

So did we ever get a confirmation on what the "highly requested" added feature is? I know they teased this a while back, but did they say what it was?

Psi

So did we ever get a confirmation on what the "highly requested" added feature is? I know they teased this a while back, but did they say what it was?

I hope it's being able to select what skills a fused persona inherits like in Devil Survivor.

rocK`

Banned
Well... I would've preferred female MC and no videos like P3P.
Although maybe not. Maybe the social link is really great!

Boo you and your story! (&#9573;_&#9573;)

I preferred it the other way around, I didn't like the female MC.

So there's that.

Top Bottom