• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs trademark abandonment request was fradulent

Status
Not open for further replies.
My money is on a title change or a Clancy/Creed rebranding, but given the turmoil the game has clearly gone through in development I guess a cancelation wouldn't surprise me.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious as to how the OP found out about this, only two days after it expired. The timing is interesting.
I search the USPTO and OHIM several times per hour every day. Manually when I'm awake.

DVCY201

How so? Never played ACIV.

If I remember correctly, there's an email specifying a relation (Abstergo subsidiary) to the company, ctOS/Blume, that acts as the antagonist in Watch_Dogs. It's essentially a detailed report about the surveillance systems and what not.

Son Of D

Well isn't Ubi's fiscal call soon? Might hear something soon.

Things have really been way too quiet about this game. Not expecting a cancellation but I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed quite a deal since.

Next week.

As for the topic, I doubt it's cancelled. It's rather a name change (seems odd this late into development though... unless there's another delay and/or it's being rebranded as an AssCreed game) or they're only trademarking Watch_Dogs and/or WatchDogs.

Linkyn

Even if its just a rebranding, it's a bold move to rename your game after creating hype for it under a different name for the better part of 2 years, so they're either setting themselves up for worse sales (unless they actually go down the AC / Tom Clancy route (although with Clancy having passed away, I don't think using his name would be legal and / or ethically sound)) or they're prepared to give themselves enough time to relaunch the ad campaign for the game with the new title, resulting in further delay.

I honestly think the people saying Watch Dogs = ACV are probably on the the right track... Think about how quickly ACIV was announced after ACIII came out... I mean, it was leaked before all of the DLC for ACIII was even out. This is about the right time for a sequel announcement to be made... and no one looked at Watch Dogs and didn't get at least SOME AC vibes.

I would just like to point out that once a trademark has been abandoned it cannot be reversed. If a company has filed for an express abandonment they can't go back a few days later and undo it.

LogicStep

I'm guessing they will change the name of the game, with the delay and more time to work on it, they might have come with a better title?

Nestunt

isnt this the only major AAA PS4/XB1 title coming in Q2?

I think everyone is counting on that game to move some consoles

Even if its just a rebranding, it's a bold move to rename your game after creating hype for it under a different name for the better part of 2 years, so they're either setting themselves up for worse sales (unless they actually go down the AC / Tom Clancy route (although with Clancy having passed away, I don't think using his name would be legal and / or ethically sound)) or they're prepared to give themselves enough time to relaunch the ad campaign for the game with the new title, resulting in further delay.
Tom Clancy's The Division is still coming. They'll never stop using it.

...we are humbled by the opportunity to carry on part of his legacy through our properties that bear his name."

Kimawolf

Canceled. Not the first time companies have done it. But would be funny if it turns into a Tom Clancy game or Assassins creef game.

Oddduck

I could be wrong on this but wasn't Assassin's Creed 4 originally planned as a standalone pirate game before becoming an AC game?

Linkyn

Tom Clancy's The Division is still coming. They'll never stop using it.

But that game was already far in development and announced when Clancy died, so there is no real precedent. I have to admit, though, that I'm not sure whether you can actually trademark a person's name or whether Clancy may be part of the public domain. It's always possible that he worked out some weird deal with Ubisoft back when he was still more involved with the games named after him.

Edit: With all that being said, AC makes a lot more sense, simply because it is the stronger franchise.

Manu

Yeah, this is totally cancelled, or rebranded as an AC game (a fate worse than cancellation if you ask me).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Could it be that they simply weren't able to figure out how to introduce an interactive gameplay element to the demo?

Cancelled? Couldn't be! Only Wii U games get cancelled.

Hopefully they cancel the Wii U version first before the rest of them. It'd only be right!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder if they're going to rebrand it, seeing as how Watch Dogs was supposed to come out last year and the hype has since disappeared. Give it a new name, say "this is the new shit," and the hype comes back.

Kinda, sorta.

Beck

I was joking the other week that Watch Dogs would be this generation's Frame City Killer... hopefully that isn't the case.

Remember, Ubisoft Toronto's Assassin's Creed game should be coming this year, and it was in development before they knew Black Flag would be big enough to let a pirate-only game fly.

Pirate-only will probably be 2015. This could be pulled into AC, but there's still something else AC coming this year.

Zornack

Unless I'm mistaken Ubisoft owns the rights to the Tom Clancy name. It'll be used forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom