• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's Watch Dogs trademark abandonment request was fradulent

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazebyaka

Banned
The only reason they delayed it to 2014 is to rename it into AC game. Makes sense to me. Especially considering they wanted a Black Flag-like spin-off game too.

DaveOshry

Assassin's Dog: Watch Creed

apollo-creed.jpg

Kifimbo

If it was cancelled, with the number of people working on this game, someone would have leak the news already.

Most likely an oversight. Renamed to ACV is possible, but less likely.

Well I don't think they can just skip what 1000 years on Ass Creed? Shit, maybe they can, Ass Creed Vatch Dogs here we come

I wouldn't be against splitting the "modern" AC series into it's own interesting game (Watch_Dogs) while keeping the ancestral parts of the AC series completely separate... but not if both games end up playing too similarly.

Zalman

This is really really late for a name change. I know a lot of people who are hyped and know what Watch Dogs is. It has already become a pretty big name, sort of.

Patryn

I will say that as someone who was still interested in this game, I would be far less interested if it became AC5.

Part of its appeal was being a new IP.

Saganator

No way this was cancelled, they've spent so much on it already. The only way I can see this being cancelled is if it was so incredibly bad, they thought they would have to just restart from scratch which would cost too much. Or releasing it in its current state would be too damaging for their brand, so bad that they won't even attempt to recoup their investment.

My guess is they made significant changes to the story to fit in with the AC universe, and they're changing the name to AC V. Which kind of sucks, as I'm not into AC. I just can't get into the games, I own almost all of them thanks to Steam and I think the most time I've put into any of them is 2 hours into AC II. I know almost nothing about the AC story, so if WD becomes AC V then I'd be pretty bummed.

I'm dying to know what the hell happened/is happening to this game.

After a ludicrously confident first showing clearly something happened during development. Massively disappointing if this was just delayed to stick an Assassins Creed logo onto it though.

Herne

A delay from Christmas, a delay from the March release (right? not too sure on that), refusing to speak about the Wii U version, and now the trademark is gone. Wtf is going on here?

I could see how this could be made into an present time Assassin's Creed. Just make the main characters enemies templars, and make the main character need to obtain some weird item that the templars want. He already has the costume so it wouldn't need a lot of work.

If it's not being called ACV or anything. Then I don't know what other name they could have thought of.

Patryn

A delay from Christmas, a delay from the March release (right? not too sure on that), refusing to speak about the Wii U version, and now the trademark is gone. Wtf is going on here?

There hasn't been a second delay. It was announced as being in Q2 after the November delay and never given a specific date. Ubi's Q2 doesn't end until June.

TMNT

Banned
Watch_Dogs

It still has pounds of potential. No doubt this game will fetch really good reviews. I fully expect it to lift its leg and step over the competition.

Kariodude

Banned
There is no trademark for Watch_Dogs though. The trademark would HAVE to be for "Watch Dogs" and then adding the underscore is just styling the trademark. Something is definitely wrong.

Ein Bear

I can't believe there are people who actually think the game might have been cancelled. Ubi would have just sent a shitty version of the game to die at next-gen launch and re-coup some of their costs rather than go that route.

It'll just be some weird techicallity where the name of the series has the underscore or something.

sjay1994

4ppqdlk.png

7FbZWCh.png

Good ol' Guillemot (Ubisoft CEO) requested to pull the plug on Watch_Dogs.

Get ready for Assassin's Creed V, to be released Holiday 2014 for PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. :p

This makes no sense what so ever.

This was supposed to be ubisofts big new franchise. FFS, they already gave Sony Pictures Movie rights to watch dogs.

Kuldar

WTF are they doing with this game? If they change the name, it will do even more damage than shifting the release date.

I'd be really, really shocked if they rebranded this. They spent a solid yeah hyping up this title, and "Watch Dogs" has built a solid name brand.

So unless they do the dumbest thing possible and throw this one under the Assassin's Creed banner, I'm going to bet this doesn't mean anything.

Kariodude

Banned
There is no trademark for Watch_Dogs though. The trademark would HAVE to be for "Watch Dogs" and then adding the underscore is just styling the trademark. Something is definitely wrong.

To add to my point, this is from the footer of the Watch_Dogs website:

Watch Dogs, the Uplay logo, Ubisoft, and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the US and/or other countries.

Paradicia

Look at what happened to splinter cell: conviction. It went on a hiatus for nearly 3 years before it was released. Something like that wouldn't be too far off what's probably going on at the moment. It's actually kind of ironic that conviction was remade for being too like assassins creed, now watch dogs is probably being re-made for the very same reason.

Ubisoft cannibalising there own IPs because of Assassins creed. *Sigh* .. and this is coming from someone who admires the AC series.

I'd be really, really shocked if they rebranded this. They spent a solid yeah hyping up this title, and "Watch Dogs" has built a solid name brand.

So unless they do the dumbest thing possible and throw this one under the Assassin's Creed banner, I'm going to bet this doesn't mean anything.

I'm pretty sure they don't have much choice now... They abandonned the trademark, and releasing it without that protection opens them up to other issues down the line.

My gut feeling is that it is/was facing another delay. Ubisoft probably saw the drop off of last gen, which I don't think any publisher expected, and figured when it finally shipped those two it wouldn't move. They probably figured the current gen wouldn't be at the install base they needed and just ultimately decided to cut their losses on a troubled project and pull the plug.

Of course, now I've said that, it will become another Assassin's Creed game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom