• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

NEO0MJ

15181710_1007483046040195_5336932630034356459_n.jpg

Check out this sexy Kiesel beast

I'm confused by this thing's design. Why is its body split like that?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I'm confused by this thing's design. Why is its body split like that?

Its pretty standard to use a maple top in varying thicknesses on top of the bodies wood. Said to give the guitar certain harmonic features. Whats unusual here is the carve of the body, thats giving it this unique look. Ibanez has a new guitar (RGD) out where they do something similar, Dean Zelinsky Guitars started this as far as i know.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got experience with Revelation RJT-60 Jazzmasters...? I'm tossing up whether to go for one or fork out for a Classic Player HH...

Here's a good question:

What kind of pickups are you all using? Active or Passive?

I'm a fan of passives myself, been sticking DiMarzios in my guitars since I can remember. The PRS I have is probably the only thing that I'm probably going to keep stock unless I find something that makes this guitar have more character.

Here's a good question:

I'm a fan of passives myself, been sticking DiMarzios in my guitars since I can remember. The PRS I have is probably the only thing that I'm probably going to keep stock unless I find something that makes this guitar have more character.

I have one guitar with active and the rest of my 5 are passive. I'm not partial to one or the other, it really depends on the guitar, pickup configuration, etc.

sgjackson

Here's a good question:

my one decent guitar (schecter c1 classic) has a jb/jazz combo - i get on pretty well with the jb but i've never really liked the jazz, it's bright to the point of sounding nasal.

Fuckin' rich bastards. Any struggling musicians in here?

At least one person has posted their band's stuff and mentioned being on tour.

Instead I am just a happy hobbyist. Not rich— I couldn't afford to rebuy my gear right now— I bought my collection of guitars over my first decade of employment.

Passive, and mostly low output at that. Just like them and haven't felt the need to hit the front of the amp hard.

EVOL 100%

I'm getting a semi hollow Mustang/Jag hybrid custom built by a sketchy ass Chinese company because I had money to burn.

But hey, I'm getting results

I always played Squiers, never played Fenders and I ain't about to start lol

Honestly though, the low end has been stepping up their game so much these days that I don't think it's really worth it to buy expensive guitars imo. I'm not going to say that here aren't any differences, but I don't think they're differences worth $1k

Here's a good question:

Passive, low output. My first guitar was a Squier Standard Tele that I put EMG Tele pickups on, but I never really liked how it sounded. I like lower output pickups because while you can add more output when you need it, but you can't really lower output. Also, I always play fairly low gain stuff

My Jag and JM both have vintage style pickups from Fender

Honestly though, the low end has been stepping up their game so much these days that I don't think it's really worth it to buy expensive guitars imo. I'm not going to say that here aren't any differences, but I don't think they're differences worth $1k

Definitely. I have an Ibanez rg7421 which is a $400 guitar, and its really good quality wise. Sure it has its flaws, but its not like they get in the way of playing.

NEO0MJ

But you have so much gear!

I'm pretty struggle myself, and it doesn't help that I'm a lefty. Locally I've only ever seen 3 left handed guitars. One was a cheap brand who's name I forgot now and I couldn't justify. The other is the Squire I currently own, and the last was a $2.5k Dean which was way above my spending range.

I recently found a lefty Jackson but it seems to a beginner class so I wasn't interested. Plus I just spent a good amount of money upgrading my current guitar.

Its pretty standard to use a maple top in varying thicknesses on top of the bodies wood. Said to give the guitar certain harmonic features. Whats unusual here is the carve of the body, thats giving it this unique look. Ibanez has a new guitar (RGD) out where they do something similar, Dean Zelinsky Guitars started this as far as i know.

That's what I mean. I know some do it but usually they have it give the impression of being a single piece still, not like that.

Here's a good question:

My current guitar uses passive pickups.

I'm pretty struggle myself, and it doesn't help that I'm a lefty. Locally I've only ever seen 3 left handed guitars. One was a cheap brand who's name I forgot now and I couldn't justify. The other is the Squire I currently own, and the last was a $2.5k Dean which was way above my spending range.

I recently found a lefty Jackson but it seems to a beginner class so I wasn't interested. Plus I just spent a good amount of money upgrading my current guitar.

Since left handed guitars are so hard to find where you are, couldn't you just import one from another country? Or would that cost so much to make it not worth it?

I mean you could get a nice used guitar for about $500. But there's always shipping.

Wark

I'm really thinking about saving up for a PRS Custom 24. I just love the look of that beaut! It was either gonna be one of those or a Godin Summit CT. Anyone have any experience with either of these fine guitars? Either way, I want to hold and play around with them first before I decide anyway.

An updated pic of my stuff.
815e84-1479836841.png
May I ask what kind of music you play because this looks like my pedalboard if I had money :D Can you tell me if that huge horizontal pedal on the bottom is for switching? I never had enough pedals to bother with this stuff but it slowly gets tedious trying to activate 2 pedals at almost the same time. I wonder if some kind of combinations are possible so I only have to stomp on one switch!?

EVOL 100%

How much is that running you, if you don't mind me asking.

728 USD including shipping. From what I heard the electronics are absolutely junk and I decided not to include some hardware like the horrid looking knockoff Jag/JM trems they have, so while it's a pretty fair price, it's not that cheap. I'm thinking of a total of 1000 USD by the time I'm done sourcing additional parts and getting some work on it.

It kind of goes against that post I made about me being an advocate for cheaper gear, but it's a custom guitar

Are we posting kit?

And the greatest guitar I have ever played, well it actually plays itself...

I love Ibanez RGs, but honestly I can't tell the difference between a lot of them by eye. 450, 550, 1550, etc. The RG550 seems to be the most desired one for collectors. The RG655 looks really amazing too. I kinda like the RG450DX but I guess Indonesian-made Ibanez are kinda frowned upon. It's all about the made in Japan Prestige with Ibanez freaks.

Haha, yeah I know :l Mostly guitars though, but that's because I've had most of them since my teens. I have like 4 pedals/effects! My 3 Ibanez 80s guitars were really about $500 and below back in the day, but they've become "vintage" and almost tripled in value. So hold on to your guitars, even if they're beaters!

Yeah I feel for lefties cuz they jack up the prices on them too. I kinda like the cheapo Jackson Dinkys. I recently played the low-end ESP (M-10?) and thought it was pretty decently built for the money.

MilkyJoe

I want this so bad. I have a thing for explorers, and I've always wanted an esp explorer. Whenever I see one for sale its always like $2k or something though.

I was lucky with mine, dude was stuck abroad, needed money fast, got his sister to put it up for quick sale... the rest is history.

I love Ibanez RGs, but honestly I can't tell the difference between a lot of them by eye. 450, 550, 1550, etc. The RG550 seems to be the most desired one for collectors. The RG655 looks really amazing too. I kinda like the RG450DX but I guess Indonesian-made Ibanez are kinda frowned upon. It's all about the made in Japan Prestige with Ibanez freaks.

Yeah there is a massive difference between my RGs. The pink one is an anniversary model, i cannot stress how beautiful it plays. I am afraid to take the plastic off the pick guard though. It's too perfect.

728 USD including shipping. From what I heard the electronics are absolutely junk and I decided not to include some hardware like the horrid looking knockoff Jag/JM trems they have, so while it's a pretty fair price, it's not that cheap. I'm thinking of a total of 1000 USD by the time I'm done sourcing additional parts and getting some work on it.

It kind of goes against that post I made about me being an advocate for cheaper gear, but it's a custom guitar

Ah, dang. Yeah, that's definitely out of my price range. If I do pick up a hollow body, It'll probably be a cheap used Gretsch, or one of those Ibanez art core.

I hope you let us know how that custom guitar sounds, though!

sankt-Antonio

May I ask what kind of music you play because this looks like my pedalboard if I had money :D Can you tell me if that huge horizontal pedal on the bottom is for switching? I never had enough pedals to bother with this stuff but it slowly gets tedious trying to activate 2 pedals at almost the same time. I wonder if some kind of combinations are possible so I only have to stomp on one switch!?

I play in two bands, so i have to accommodate my needs on one board, wich sucks if I'm playing a gig with one band - its too huge and people somehow gather around it and think that the size of the pedalboard directly relates to ones skills/talent. I crushed their perception on more then one occasion.

We play some progrock-/metal with some "Post" sprinkled on top. Think of a harder version of Porcupine Tree, with less talent and skill :D

Yes the big thing is a "The Gigrig G2" switching board, the best imo on the market today. Has a lot of possible use cases, and yes, its nice to go from a clean amp sound to mayhem with the push of a single button. I also use it to switch channels on my VH4 and control presents of the Strymon pedals (over MIDI) etc. It does costs a pretty penny at around 1000&#8364; plus the 3-400&#8364; worth of Lava cables, since every pedal has to be connected to the G2 separately.

Since i have OCD regarding my board I had to fill it up with stuff I don't actually need just not to have empty spaces, like three Fuzz pedals (all three are 2 in 1 pedals!) more fuzz then anyone would ever need.

I'm really thinking about saving up for a PRS Custom 24. I just love the look of that beaut! It was either gonna be one of those or a Godin Summit CT. Anyone have any experience with either of these fine guitars? Either way, I want to hold and play around with them first before I decide anyway.

PRS Custom 24, the one i have, is in regards to its build quality heads and shoulders above a Gibson Les Paul Custom or a ESP KH-2 custom shop for example (own both). They will devaluate a lot more then a Gibson or Fender.
Most comfy guitar (excluding some weird shaped ergo-guitars) i ever played (ergonomics, balance, placement of knobs* etc). The "pattern thick" neck is just perfect imo. But build quality is not everything in a Guitar.

Lets be honest, one does not buy a Custom 24 because of its sound alone, one buys it because it looks incredible and is a masterful work of craftsmanship. I really think that anything after 1500&#8364; is cosmetics, availability, handcrafty or name alone. And thats totally fine. Feels good to play a posh guitar once in a while :D

My personal taste would be PRS CU>>>anything Godin has to offer.

*the knobs on a US PRS are the most godly thing ever, they are smooth, like smooooth.
**I have the PRS that was used as the cover photo on the PRS Europe Facebook account for a while :

Hey guys, newbie here. I need some tips. I've been playing for a couple months now, slowly learning using justinguitar and trying to learn a song or tune on the side. Something I've noticed is that whenever I lift my fingers off a string on the neck when playing fretted notes, the string makes an unwanted sound. This is a pull off yeah? Issue is that I've tried changing up pressure and finger position but I still consistently get it. It's like the strings kinda stick to finger as it's lifting off. Do I just need to keep playing more to build calluses so it doesn't happen?

That's quite a difference in price there... around here I can get a Godin Summit CT for about a third what a CU24 would cost me; buying new or used...

I'm almost exclusively a PRS player in my old age, but I've owned several Godin's over the years; the most recent being a Summit with P90s I had for about a year... ime, Godin makes a very good guitar for the price, but I have never been able to really get along with their necks; partly because of the profile but mostly the radius, which has always seemed to me to feel far flatter than the published 12" they say they are... But if you get along with the neck, they're hard to fault for the price; very well constructed instruments, though they somehow feel "built" too, which is hard to articulate, but there's a quality to them that feels to me like they were built by committee (for lack of a better way to put it)...

PRS are a different beast entirely... I've run across a few that didn't work for me but I've never seen one that was shoddily built; they all seem like they've been lovingly pieced together by someone who considers guitar building a divine calling... the body and neck shapes work very well for me, and the CU24 - Paul's original mass market design - really works for a lot of people. I prefer the newer pickup offerings coming out of Paul's shop myself (57/08s are my hands-down favourite pickups ever), but I found even the older VB/HFS combo usable with judicious use of the guitar's volume control... The PRS tremolo is among the most stable I've ever used (this coming from someone who played JEM/Universe guitars exclusively for years, and has spent more than a few hours adjusting Edge and Edge Pro trems), and I love all their neck shapes, though I try not to mix'n'match them at a gig... Currently I own 10 PRS core guitars and two SE models: a PRS 25th Anniversary Custom, a 20th Anniversary Standard 24, a Sunburst 22, two core Miras, a 305, a core Starla, a spectacular Hollowbody II SC, a McCarty, a 25th Anniversary Mira 245, a SE Zach Myers (with Gibson Burstbuckers installed) and an SE One Korina (with a Thorn Stapletop P90)... all are really wonderful guitars....

Hey guys, newbie here. I need some tips. I've been playing for a couple months now, slowly learning using justinguitar and trying to learn a song or tune on the side. Something I've noticed is that whenever I lift my fingers off a string on the neck when playing fretted notes, the string makes an unwanted sound. This is a pull off yeah? Issue is that I've tried changing up pressure and finger position but I still consistently get it. It's like the strings kinda stick to finger as it's lifting off. Do I just need to keep playing more to build calluses so it doesn't happen?
Calluses could certainly be an issue... you only want the strings to sound when lifting your fingers if you intend them too, for sure... Calluses are absolutely necessary to playing guitar, imo, and the only way to get them is by practicing... frequently... rather a lot...

IME, the physical side of playing guitar is really all about muscle memory, and that only comes with ungodly amounts of repetition... having an electric at home helps new players a lot imo because they can pick up the guitar and practice chord forms, scales, rhythm patterns, etc. in relative quiet while watching TV or doing something else that's relatively passive... For my part, I have several guitars out on stands around my computer desk and it's rare you'll find me browsing forums or surfing the web without one in my hand... I play one while watching the news, or a movie with my wife, or posting on GAF... It's a great way to supplement focussed practice time and I recommend it...

sankt-Antonio

You guys think that my Yamaha SGV 800 (sparkle red) is ever going to be a vintage collectors item? Its still in mint condition and they where only sold for a very brief timeframe :D

Great OT. Playing guitar has always been a dream of mine and I have owned an electric and three acoustic and have never learned a single one. I just get extremely frustrated while I attempt to practice then never progress and leave it gathering dust for years until I sell it.

Honestly I need a new hobby that isn't gaming related but I thought maybe a Piano(owned one too) would be less frustrating to learn because you just press keys rather than holding frets and picking strings. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it..

IME, the physical side of playing guitar is really all about muscle memory, and that only comes with ungodly amounts of repetition... having an electric at home helps new players a lot imo because they can pick up the guitar and practice chord forms, scales, rhythm patterns, etc. in relative quiet while watching TV or doing something else that's relatively passive... For my part, I have several guitars out on stands around my computer desk and it's rare you'll find me browsing forums or surfing the web without one in my hand... I play one while watching the news, or a movie with my wife, or posting on GAF... It's a great way to supplement focussed practice time and I recommend it...

Ok, I'll just keep at it til I get better :D
Thanks for the tips!

NEO0MJ

Honestly I need a new hobby that isn't gaming related but I thought maybe a Piano(owned one too) would be less frustrating to learn because you just press keys rather than holding frets and picking strings. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it..

There are still some complexities but I do think it might be easier to learn than a guitar. Just don't buy a real piano and you'll be fine.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Dope thread. I actually finally upgraded my electric 'cause I got a good deal on Black Friday. Now the proud owner of a Vintage V6M24 (picture on the left):

Previously I was playing a Squier Affinity Tele that's undergone a lot of upgrades over the years. My bedroom setup is a Yamaha THR10, which is a really cool modeling amp.

Great OT. Playing guitar has always been a dream of mine and I have owned an electric and three acoustic and have never learned a single one. I just get extremely frustrated while I attempt to practice then never progress and leave it gathering dust for years until I sell it.

It's never too late! Piano is awesome and it's definitely worth trying if you have any interest in playing an instrument, but I picked up guitar as an adult and that's really rekindled my interest in music.

Have you tried any other stringed instruments? My journey to guitar went on long detours into bass and ukulele, which are fun and approachable. But I still learned a bunch about strumming patterns, finger picking, etc. and built up dexterity in my fretting hand to the point that coming back to guitar was much more manageable.

EVOL 100%

Oh really? They're good?

I just took a look at those Revelation guitars that you mentioned, and they're pretty much Jazzmasters in name only. They don't have the JM pickups, the JM trem, the rhythm circuit..

Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing but it certainly wouldn't be anything like a JM.

From what I heard the Classic Player is okay, but for that money the J. Mascis is a much better deal and is a legit good guitar. Pop in a new bridge and you're ready to go.

I never played the Vintage Modified Squiers which are the most vintage correct in the lower price range of Jazzmasters. Apparently they're quite good and serve as excellent modding problems, but apparently they have some QC issues.

It just takes practice. You never seem like you're improving but you slowly are. I've only been playing a year and a half, and I still feel like I know nothing. But then I realize I can play a song I couldn't before.

Also, when I started out, I actually started playing a bass for like a month before I started guitar. I found it a little easier. I still play both though.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'm going to get me a guitar someday and reteach myself how to play. I haven't played since 9th grade, and forgot mostly everything. I'll get a good ole white Srat, can never go wrong with that classic.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I just took a look at those Revelation guitars that you mentioned, and they're pretty much Jazzmasters in name only. They don't have the JM pickups, the JM trem, the rhythm circuit..

Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing but it certainly wouldn't be anything like a JM.

From what I heard the Classic Player is okay, but for that money the J. Mascis is a much better deal and is a legit good guitar. Pop in a new bridge and you're ready to go.

I never played the Vintage Modified Squiers which are the most vintage correct in the lower price range of Jazzmasters. Apparently they're quite good and serve as excellent modding problems, but apparently they have some QC issues.

Hey, thanks for the write up! Not even considered the J Mascis. Sounds mint. Wish I'd read this earlier though, I just dropped cash on the CP. :D

EVOL 100%

Hey, thanks for the write up! Not even considered the J Mascis. Sounds mint. Wish I'd read this earlier though, I just dropped cash on the CP. :D

The CP is fine from what I heard, it's just that the difference between the CP and J. Mascis is negligible. Hope you enjoy your Jazzmaster, the Jag and JM are the pinnacle of Fender designs in my book.

You might have to do some work on the bridge (I think there's a tune-o-matic on the CP? Those bridges simply don't work on Jazzmasters very well if you use the tremolo a lot), and remember to use heavier strings, at least .11 gauge to prevent buzzing. If you have troubles with the bridge you can just go to Offsetguitars, they have a huge amount of helpful information on setting up Jags/JMs.

NEO0MJ

Anybody recommend a guitar that is cheap and already set up ?

What kind of guitar are you looking for and what's your budget?
This reminded me that I need to write a standard questionnaire for people interested in buying a guitar so we can more easily narrow it down.

Electric? These days low-end guitars are fairly decent compared to when I started. Unfortunately they are rarely set up out of the box. That's the why the best thing is to go used for 2 reasons: 1.) There are thousands of beginner sets on the used market - many of them barely used cuz people just quit or upgrade. 2.) Chances are a used guitar is already set up. For example, you can find TONS of used Ibanez Gios for around $80, and they're well made in terms of starter guitars.

We can't. Setups change with temperature, humidity, string gauge and tuning. The last two can be controlled from the factory, but the first two are a crap shoot, especially for budget guitars not kept in humidity-controlled rooms.

Do you know anyone who plays and do you have a place that sells guitars where you live? Ask the friend to come shopping with you and help you find the most playable guitar in your price range.

Ask at the store if the guitar will come with a setup and if not what one costs. My favourite local stores set up all their guitars before they go on display.

If you have no friends that play, here is the only thing you really want to look out for: strings that are low enough to not require huge amounts of force to fret— it's going to be painful enough for the first several weeks without this added burden. Ask the sales person to play something fast on anything they are trying to sell you. Get the one they show you and not one from the back (unless it comes with a set up!).

If you have to buy online then you're just going to have to take a gamble. Sweetwater claims to set up all their guitars... that cost over $300.

Chances are a used guitar is already set up.

Depends why it is for sale. Beginner acoustic guitars that were so poor as to be off-putting won't be. Well played ones likely will be.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The CP is fine from what I heard, it's just that the difference between the CP and J. Mascis is negligible. Hope you enjoy your Jazzmaster, the Jag and JM are the pinnacle of Fender designs in my book.

You might have to do some work on the bridge (I think there's a tune-o-matic on the CP? Those bridges simply don't work on Jazzmasters very well if you use the tremolo a lot), and remember to use heavier strings, at least .11 gauge to prevent buzzing. If you have troubles with the bridge you can just go to Offsetguitars, they have a huge amount of helpful information on setting up Jags/JMs.

Thanks, man. Really appreciate the help. Not heard of that site.

I have to admit, my other guitar is actually the 65' Jaguar Japanese reissue from about ten years ago. I'm not very techy though (outside of pedals) so someone else set it up. I uh ended up fucking it up pretty badly from gigging and poor treatment though.... won't repeat that mistake.

Xun

Anyone got a Mooer Pure Octave pedal? I'm tempted because of the price but would love to hear some opinions on it first.

Top Bottom