• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

Anyone else find it interesting that Halsey is STILL locked up 6 months after the events on Requiem....?

They're gonna keep her locked up for life. With the whole "she's a war criminal"-thing, ONI needed a scapegoat and they found one in her.

God, I hope Parangosky gets offed in a suitably painful manner, and soon.

so the main reason halsey is being imprisoned is because paragosky hates her and has a lot of pull within ONI?

it really screams of hypocritical bullshit. "hey thanks for those spartans we funded you to develop that also helped us win this war. now go to prison and rot"

Fuchsdh

so the main reason halsey is being imprisoned is because paragosky hates her and has a lot of pull within ONI?

it really screams of hypocritical bullshit. "hey thanks for those spartans we funded you to develop that also helped us win this war. now go to prison and rot"

Pretty much. I can see why that gets some people angry, but it's not like the readers don't understand what's going on--and Halsey pretty well defends herself against that bullshit in the novel and in the Halo 4 prologue. I'm still uncertain about whether Parangosky *really* genuinely has deluded herself into believing that she's absolved herself, or it's just being vindictive and politically-minded--I bet she'd like to arrest all their scientists so she gets a guaranteed egghead supply.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say she's dead by the events of Halo 4. I also highly doubt they're going to leave her in chains for the rest of the series, so something's going to give. I'm not sure whether it would be in Glass Harder with a Vengeance or it starts in Spartan Ops.

So something I've been dwelling on itching me second play through is that where has this apparent sociopath ethic nature of Spartans show up?

In the second spartan ops episode cinematic, when the artifact 'went off', the scientist said something like:"when you have a mysterious alien artifact brought onto the ship by ex war criminals you're bound to have trouble!" or something like that. I think he was referring to spartans as ex war criminals.

I actually thought Halsey was going to be at Ivanoff station when we went there. Apparently not.

I dunno, sure Halsey did something wrong, but ONI and the UNSC gave her those resources. Parangosky gave her those resources, and she had plenty of people reporting in on what was going on. All this demonization Traviss started in Glasslands is just lame.

In the second spartan ops episode cinematic, when the artifact 'went off', the scientist said something like:"when you have a mysterious alien artifact brought onto the ship by ex war criminals you're bound to have trouble!" or something like that. I think he was referring to spartans as ex war criminals.

No no no. What he said was more along the lines of "When you have a ship based on alien tech found by a war criminal". The Infinity is based on Forerunner tech, obviously, and Glassman (the scientist) was a pretty big hater of Halsey too, during the events of The Thursday War.

I actually thought Halsey was going to be at Ivanoff station when we went there. Apparently not.

I dunno, sure Halsey did something wrong, but ONI and the UNSC gave her those resources. Parangosky gave her those resources, and she had plenty of people reporting in on what was going on. All this demonization Traviss started in Glasslands is just lame.

No no no. What he said was more along the lines of "When you have a ship based on alien tech found by a war criminal". The Infinity is based on Forerunner tech, obviously, and Glassman (the scientist) was a pretty big hater of Halsey too, during the events of The Thursday War.

Wow I couldn't be more off lol. Then again, I haven't read/seen anything halo related outside of the games.

I expected more friction between Chief and the Spartan IV's in the game though. I'm quite disappointed I didn't get that

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks like I need to read Glasslands and Thursday War. Should polish off Primordium this week, then maybe I'll dive into them a bit after.

Wow I couldn't be more off lol. Then again, I haven't read/seen anything halo related outside of the games.

I expected more friction between Chief and the Spartan IV's in the game though. I'm quite disappointed I didn't get that

It's pretty weird how the Chief just accepts there's new weapons, new SPARTANs and a giant bipedal walking talk. He doesn't ask questions, he just doesn't seem to care.

Fuchsdh

Friction or not, I did expect at least some interaction.

Yeah. Chief had always expected himself to be the vanguard of a new breed of soldiers, so I don't think he would be pissed. On the other hand, it was weird that even the regular Marines didn't seem that surprised by the appearance of an MIA legend on their doorstep. The whole fourth mission whiffed a lot on giving us some meaningful introductions and character moments.

Ummmm...what's the best wiki article that gives some context to Halo 4? I played all of the Halo series and yet I was at a loss throughout much of the game regarding the main plot. (full disclosure, I haven't watched the terminal vids yet)

Pretty much. I can see why that gets some people angry, but it's not like the readers don't understand what's going on--and Halsey pretty well defends herself against that bullshit in the novel and in the Halo 4 prologue. I'm still uncertain about whether Parangosky *really* genuinely has deluded herself into believing that she's absolved herself, or it's just being vindictive and politically-minded--I bet she'd like to arrest all their scientists so she gets a guaranteed egghead supply.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say she's dead by the events of Halo 4. I also highly doubt they're going to leave her in chains for the rest of the series, so something's going to give. I'm not sure whether it would be in Glass Harder with a Vengeance or it starts in Spartan Ops.

im trying to power through episode 2 of spartan ops so i can get to episode 3 next week. halseys addition to spartan ops should make it a lot more interesting.

Yeah. Chief had always expected himself to be the vanguard of a new breed of soldiers, so I don't think he would be pissed. On the other hand, it was weird that even the regular Marines didn't seem that surprised by the appearance of an MIA legend on their doorstep. The whole fourth mission whiffed a lot on giving us some meaningful introductions and character moments.

actually they did. i remember the mission where you have to secure the LZ after you meet lasky, the marines were like "what the what..????" "this cant be real" "i thought he was dead!" and stuff. similarly when you get to installation 03, the marines that are fending off the covenant are also happy to see the chief and stuff.

but i wanted more. i wanted everyone to get on their damn knees and kiss the chiefs hand. this guy saved your entire civilization...3 times. shine his boots, throw flowers on his path. wives and daughters (of age) lined up for his picking. its why del rio pissed me off so much, and watching that doctor tillson getting composed made me super happy.

It's bothered me in the past, but damn does the UNSC make some vehicles/tech/weapons that would make OSHA have a heart attack. For an organization dedicated to protecting humanity they sure a do a piss poor job at it in their designs.

ultron87

Ummmm...what's the best wiki article that gives some context to Halo 4? I played all of the Halo series and yet I was at a loss throughout much of the game regarding the main plot. (full disclosure, I haven't watched the terminal vids yet)
The terminals do a pretty good job actually for the basics.

i think the terminal videos do a good job explaining most if not everything. anything that confuses you afterwards, you can then wiki.

also the first episode of halo legends is nice for some extra forerunner history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyg1FARv9QQ

Looks like I need to read Glasslands and Thursday War. Should polish off Primordium this week, then maybe I'll dive into them a bit after.

Do yourself a favor and skip Glasslands and Thursday War. They aren't worth your time, honestly. Abominations to the Halo lore, through and through.

Anyone else notice how the chief goes into armor lock pose after receiving the augmentation by the librarian?
Armor Lock the pinnacle of human evolution confirmed, to return in Halo 5.

Trey

Anyone else notice how the chief goes into armor lock pose after receiving the augmentation by the librarian?
Armor Lock the pinnacle of human evolution confirmed, to return in Halo 5.

I chuckled to myself when I saw it. 343 should've trolled everyone and included a shot of that scene in the trailer. Would've had people freak out.

exYle

but i wanted more. i wanted everyone to get on their damn knees and kiss the chiefs hand. this guy saved your entire civilization...3 times. shine his boots, throw flowers on his path. wives and daughters (of age) lined up for his picking. its why del rio pissed me off so much, and watching that doctor tillson getting composed made me super happy.

If you remember the Epilogue, MC has an Empire Strikes Back sized platoon saluting him as he walks back on to the Infinity's deck.

?
Glassman is character introduced and offed in one Spartan Ops episode. You're thinking of Evan Phillips.

Fuchsdh

If you remember the Epilogue, MC has an Empire Strikes Back sized platoon saluting him as he walks back on to the Infinity's deck.

?
Glassman is character introduced and offed in one Spartan Ops episode. You're thinking of Evan Phillips.

Phillips didn't have anything against Halsey. In fact, as far as I know he largely stayed out of that whole discussion. It was the ODSTs that had the big arguments about it, with most of them being all "she's so horrible" and then one (I don't remember which since they didn't seem to get identifiable personalities until The Thursday War) actually being reasonable and saying "it sucks, but that's war".

Yeah, there were spots that they emphasized Chief's role, but it was kind of odd it wasn't in the game proper.

Also, I think the game convinced me about how the armor change actively hurt the story. He's being portrayed as this lone soldier, mythic figure who has gone through so much and been cut off from the rest of the world... and yet the Spartan-IVs look incredibly close to him, including having the exact same back/shoulder protrusions--he feels like he's just wearing another variant of current tech. If they had redesigned him for Halo 5 I wouldn't have cared as much, but so much dramatic weight for fans of the series was simply washed away, especially in that final scene.

(And using the Mk VI and Storm Elites for all those Spartan flashbacks in the trailer was insulting.)

spootime

I agree, they should have kept his armor like the previous halo's and had the Spartan IV's keep the current armor.

Also just wanted to say that karen traviss is an awful author who ruins everything she touches.

I am slightly confused here. So Shield Worlds were constructed for the Forerunners to take refuge in when the Halo's were activated. So Shield worlds were constructed with the Halo Array plan in effect. Why was Requiem in existence so long before the Halo's were constructed? We see in the terminal videos that Requiem exists before the Forerunners go to war with Ancient Humanity and the Flood.

Also, I find the Librarian locking the Didact up in Requiem to be an absolutely idiotic plot point.

Random Foreunner - "Hey Librarian, so Requiem's pretty big. Do you think maybe a few million of us Forerunners can chill there when the Halo's are activated?

Librarian - "No, only my husband must live, the one who did all those horrible things to his Prometheans and Humans."

Random Foreunner - "But... that's not fair."

Librarian - "Everything I do, I do for the greater good."

Random Foreunner - "You're a fucking nut."

exYle

Phillips didn't have anything against Halsey. In fact, as far as I know he largely stayed out of that whole discussion. It was the ODSTs that had the big arguments about it, with most of them being all "she's so horrible" and then one (I don't remember which since they didn't seem to get identifiable personalities until The Thursday War) actually being reasonable and saying "it sucks, but that's war".

Vaz and Mal, respectively.

Fuchsdh

I also don't understand all the hate del rio has for the chief.

I don't think it's hatred for the Chief, so much that he's in way over his head. Traviss' description of him has him as basically a competent commander but one that doesn't quite have the same respect from his crew as someone like Lasky. I think him snapping at Chief is essentially his inability to find some other way to carry out his will.

Vaz and Mal, respectively.

Thanks. Yeah, I couldn't tell them apart until Thursday War, really. (Although the more I learn about Mal, the more I would avoid being locked in the same room with him. Seems like the guy who would kill you in your sleep just for the hell of it, or he thought you'd eaten his brownie or something.)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I am slightly confused here. So Shield Worlds were constructed for the Forerunners to take refuge in when the Halo's were activated. So Shield worlds were constructed with the Halo Array plan in effect. Why was Requiem in existence so long before the Halo's were constructed? We see in the terminal videos that Requiem exists before the Forerunners go to war with Ancient Humanity and the Flood.

Also, I find the Librarian locking the Didact up in Requiem to be an absolutely idiotic plot point.

Random Foreunner - "Hey Librarian, so Requiem's pretty big. Do you think maybe a few million of us Forerunners can chill there when the Halo's are activated?

Librarian - "No, only my husband must live, the one who did all those horrible things to his Prometheans and Humans."

Random Foreunner - "But... that's not fair."

Librarian - "Everything I do, I do for the greater good."

Random Foreunner - "You're a fucking nut."

I don't know which one is now canon or if it's both but:

The locations of all shield worlds were compromised when the AI Mendicant Bias came in contact with the gravemind and betrayed the forerunner, so they didn't bother except with going to the Ark and so the flood didn't bother, so neither are on the shield worlds.

The Forerunner recognize their time has passed, and accept their fate as penance for letting the flood get the upper hand.

If Requiem is a stray planet outside the perimeter of the Milky Way, as the aft section of the Forward unto Dawn drifted there after the events of Halo 3; how can it be reached via regular slipsace jumping, as they do in Episode 1 of Spartan Ops? As far as I knew you could only use slipsace to travel throughout the galaxy, not leave it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished the game last weekend. While I liked it gameplay wise the story was once again a convulted and stupid mess. Haven't they learned? And now even Nylund isn't there anymore to fix it in his books.

Frank, if you're reading this, for the love of god, hire some good writers. The Halo universe has so much potential it's actually mindblowing you are NOT able to do something with it. It's like you deliberatley don't want to.

aries_71

If Requiem is a stray planet outside the perimeter of the Milky Way, as the aft section of the Forward unto Dawn drifted there after the events of Halo 3; how can it be reached via regular slipsace jumping, as they do in Episode 1 of Spartan Ops? As far as I knew you could only use slipsace to travel throughout the galaxy, not leave it.

It's probably just a matter of distance. Slipspace jumping can span galactic distances, but not intergalactic ones. So something that is outside of the galaxy, bust still relatively close by, can be reached.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

UNSC is using reverse engineered/borrowed Covenant and Forerunner tech ever since the end of the War.

Rules have changed.

Fuchsdh

HaloFudSpoilers.jpg

The Trans-Halo community Co-Op Campaign and Spartan Ops Night

What is it?
A co-op playthrough of Halo 4's campaign mission, with the goal of discussing and discovering more about the game's fiction. Also defending humanity from alien threats through use of exotic weaponry. That too.

We're inviting people from HaloGAF, FUD, and HBO--any Halo player out there who likes Halo's fiction and wants to talk about it is welcome.

When is it?
Today (Monday), 8PM EST! This mission for this week is Mission 3. Expect it to last around an hour or more (we're doing this Legendary, the way it was meant to be played, and poking around the level is encouraged. This isn't RC Master's video game school.) FUD will also be running a Spartan Ops run-through of Ep 3 at 10pm EST, so you can play some campaign and still find some battle bros to power through Ops if that's your cup of tea.

How do I get a piece of the action?
Message Postmortem (GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM), and be online by 8pm (a few minutes before would be best, so we can jump into sorting into four-person teams and get into the mission quickly). We're not sure exactly how many people we're going to have, so the sooner we get everyone together, the faster we can be.

Any questions, let us know here or via XBL message (My gamertag is Pixelfox.)

daedalius

Do yourself a favor and skip Glasslands and Thursday War. They aren't worth your time, honestly. Abominations to the Halo lore, through and through.

Excellent books. I recommend reading them.

Finished the game last weekend. While I liked it gameplay wise the story was once again a convulted and stupid mess. Haven't they learned? And now even Nylund isn't there anymore to fix it in his books.

Frank, if you're reading this, for the love of god, hire some good writers. The Halo universe has so much potential it's actually mindblowing you are NOT able to do something with it. It's like you deliberatley don't want to.

Its not really terribly convoluted if you pay attention and watch the terminals, which anyone who cares about the story will. If you like it or not, is another matter entirely.

Also, calling out the writers and demanding 'good' writers is a sure way to be pointedly ignored.

TRios Zen

It seems to me, that Halo 4 was a story about Master Chief and Cortana - their relationships, and their faults. I don't mean that to try to sound high-brow or artsy about a halo game, just that's what I thought this story was really about.

Therefore I'd find it hard to believe that the story could continue WITHOUT Cortana in some way. Her emotional foil to MC's stoic machinations are what drove this game, with the introduction (and defeat) of the didact seeming almost secondary.

Wild prophetic guess - Halo 5 pits MC (with a new AI) looking for Cortana, someway, somehow.

Where is Master Chief during all the Spartan Ops missions? From a story perspective, why isn't he helping out?

And now that Halsey has been brought on board why doesn't anybody get her to help Cortana?

So what do people think Didact meant when he said "The Forerunner have returned"? He's the only one right? Kindof hard to repopulate a race with only yourself. And even if he managed to successfully compose all of Earth he'd only get more Promethean Knights, right?

Watching the latest Spartan Ops episode is also making me wonder whether Didact is even the ancient evil at all. It'd be something else if it was Spartan Ops making the grand reveal and not the core campaign itself.

I'm intrigued.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Its not really terribly convoluted if you pay attention and watch the terminals, which anyone who cares about the story will. If you like it or not, is another matter entirely.
It's presented in a very convulted way. Basically 80% of the story is told in this one sequence with the librarian. First time I saw it I was like...

what%2Bgif.gif

And don't get me started with the rest. From Master Chief surviving a drop from orbit again (!) to the lame reunion from Master Chief with the marines (like, oh, there's earth biggest hero still alive after he was supposed to be dead for 4 years and what does Lazsky say: "Didn't think I see you again Chief.") and Master Chief killing the totally overpowered Didact with a bloody granade. Couldn't they come up with something a little bit more original? And Master Chief surviving a nuke? What.... I think there ain't much more left for Master Cief to survive. I think it would be a good joke it 343 just kills him with a flu at the end of the franchise....

Also, calling out the writers and demanding 'good' writers is a sure way to be pointedly ignored.
They'll ignore me anyway. I can only hope that enough people say the same thing and maybe, maybe, maybe someone thinks about it and improves the writing. I don't have much hopes though.

So that artifact appears to be "communicating" with the ship's engine as it's Forerunner tech. Looks like it just teleported Glassman as we see he's alive but in Covenant hands.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what do people think Didact meant when he said "The Forerunner have returned"? He's the only one right? Kindof hard to repopulate a race with only yourself. And even if he managed to successfully compose all of Earth he'd only get more Promethean Knights, right?

Watching the latest Spartan Ops episode is also making me wonder whether Didact is even the ancient evil at all. It'd be something else if it was Spartan Ops making the grand reveal and not the core campaign itself.

I'm intrigued.
He considers Prometheans Forerunners, doesn't he?

He considers Prometheans Forerunners, doesn't he?
Even if they're fabricated from human minds? I just see the knights as power armor for limited personalities - fragments of mind and memory, and they are made of mostly human minds aren't they? Or at least plenty of them are.

Top Bottom