• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon Suspends Chris Savino (Creator of The Loud House)

Thank you
Taking 10 minutes at max out of my day to attack reasoning leading to people surely calling a man a child rapist is weird.
Got it.
Not the "some say" and other nonsense in the tweet thread.

Edit:
My post isn't about defending Dan because he's Dan, I don't care about Dan, I've heard of this for years and even read up on it, talked about it with people, if it's true lets hope the victims find justice.

But it's had no legs and until it has legs let's chill out on calling him Jimmy Savile.

Taking 10 minutes at max out of my day to attack reasoning leading to people surely calling a man a child rapist is weird.
Got it.

Edit:
My post isn't about defending Dan because he's Dan, I don't care about Dan, I've heard of this for years and even read up on it, talked about it with people, if it's true lets hope the victims find justice.

But it's had no legs and until it has legs let's chill out on calling him Jimmy Savile.

As weird as dragging some dude's name through the mud based on what, a 4chan post and some breathless tweets?
At the least Dan Schneider is a creep that likes to fetishize young women's bodies, as evidenced by the shows that he partakes in directing and writing:

https://twitter.com/soberloren/stat...io/iframe/twitter.min.html#909176761325375488

We'll know soon enough how much dirt this man has considering the onslaught of exposés in Hollywood. I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider is culpable in victimizing young women either.

At the least Dan Schneider is a creep that likes to fetishize young women's bodies, as evidenced by the shows that he partakes in directing and writing:

https://twitter.com/soberloren/stat...io/iframe/twitter.min.html#909176761325375488

We'll know soon enough how much dirt this man has considering the onslaught of exposés in Hollywood. I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider is culpable in victimizing young women either.
It's a teen show, sex in some ways will be addressed, there's nothing intrinsically insidious about it.
Showing midriff with Arriana Grande getting sprayed by water is nothing out of this world.
Is Drake and Josh suddenly compromised because they had an episode that talked about people being good kissers based on how they can tie a cherry stem with their tongue?
High school musical directors must be Dan-tier because of "sexual tension" between Sharpe and Ryan and gay subtext betaeen Corbin Blue's chatacter and Ryan in "I Don't Dance."
Raven Symone shook her breasts in an episode of That's So Raven as I've seen through gifs posted, so maybe the director was up to something with her?
Spongebob had hidden sex jokes too, they must-have been infecting my young child brain.

By all means protect children who work in the industry, but this just seems puritanical.

Edit: the stuff I find creepy from Dan are more his pictures like the Michele Obama one

Compsiox

Banned
Damn. Reminds me of the situation with the show Clarence on Cartoon Network. They fired it's creator off his own show. Glad to see some of these companies taking this seriously.

Wooooooooooooww. No wonder the show was worse after the first season. It's for the better but damn. It could have been so good.

ItIsOkBro

https://twitter.com/soberloren/status/909265415062384640

what even is this

Dan Schneider's shows have a bunch of weird creepy shit going on and all but one of those shows mostly star young women. Just keep that in mind.

It's a teen show, sex in some ways will be addressed, there's nothing intrinsically insidious about it.
Showing midriff with Arriana Grande getting sprayed by water is nothing out of this world.
Is Drake and Josh suddenly compromised because they had an episode that talked about people being good kissers based on how they can tie a cherry stem with their tongue?
High school musical directors must be Dan-tier because of "sexual tension" between Sharpe and Ryan and gay subtext betaeen Corbin Blue's chatacter and Ryan in "I Don't Dance."
Raven Symone shook her breasts in an episode of That's So Raven as I've seen through gifs posted, so maybe the director was up to something with her?
Spongebob had hidden sex jokes too, they must-have been infecting my young child brain.

By all means protect children who work in the industry, but this just seems puritanical.

Edit: the stuff I find creepy from Dan are more his pictures like the Michele Obama one
You can absolutely write about children's sexual enlightenment without framing it as explicitly sexual or titillating. None of your examples are as egregious as a prepubescent Ariana Grande groping a potato begging for the "juice" to come out, putting her feet in her mouth on her bed as she squirms, and seductively pouring water on her torso/neck with the camera framing her as a sexualized object.

I agree that the pictures of Schneider are particularly damning as well. Keep in mind however, if you couple those photos with the instances in that Twitter thread, then you can most likely see a pattern that hints towards predatory behavior.

Riposte

Is the disney show with a talking dog also Schneider? I remember watching an episode of that with my sister (who seemed completely unaware of the weirdness here) and there was a scene where, to lure the depressed talking dog out from under her bed, the pre-teen main character takes off her shoes and spreads peanut butter on her feet and tells him he can come lick it. Maybe one of the weirdest things I've seen on television, let alone a children's program. Up until then I thought Schneider was just an internet meme.

Is the disney show with a talking dog also Schneider? I remember watching an episode of that with my sister (who seemed completely unaware of the weirdness here) and there was a scene where, to lure the depressed talking dog out from under her bed, the pre-teen main character takes off her shoes and spreads peanut butter on her feet and tells him he can come lick it. Maybe one of the weirdest things I've seen on television, let alone a children's program. Up until then I thought Schneider was just an internet meme.
No Dan is all Nick.
Drake and Josh, Zeoey 101, i Carly, Victorious, etc etc.

-_-
I mean I ain't gonna condem the man solely on the word of the fuckin' glorified blog that is cartoonbrew, but if this turns out to be true it's a real god damn bummer .
I love The Loud House and I really admire Chris Savino (who seems very nice, and quite shy).
He clearly worked hard to become a showrunner, and has used all of his past experience as an industry veteran to create a brilliant and inclusive (10 distinct main female characters, gay dads, gay interracial couple, bisexual girl, etc.) little slice of life comedy cartoon.
The idea that he could be an abusive creep is absolutely heartbreaking.
Please...don't be true.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'd be really shocked that in all of this, nothing comes out about Dan Schneider. Something just seems very off about the guy.

-_-
I mean I ain't gonna condem the man solely on the word of the fuckin' glorified blog that is cartoonbrew, but if this turns out to be true it's a real god damn bummer .
I love The Loud House and I really admire Chris Savino (who seems very nice, and quite shy).
He clearly worked hard to become a showrunner, and has used all of his past experience as an industry veteran to create a brilliant and inclusive (10 distinct main female characters, gay dads, gay interracial couple, bisexual girl, etc.) little slice of life comedy cartoon.
Please...don't be true.

Yeah, this would break my heart. Reading that headline was surprising.

Maximo

-_-
Please...don't be true.

Yeah god dam.

Preacher

lol okay dude

Nobody's asking you to believe anything, but going to bat so hard for some guy you don't know is weird.
Yeah, but calling some guy you don't know a pedophile because of an internet meme is cool.

I find it funny that of all the people in this thread you felt the need to call out one of the only ones who was not being a total shithead.

Scuffed

Best these companies clean house and be pro-active in firing these people because women are coming forward now and they can't keep the secrets anymore.

For the uninitiated, Amid is a garbage journalist who will weave the most sensational headline possible from one single comment in a forum, then defend his wild imagination when called out by the commenter themselves, by saying they shouldn't have put it in a public forum. He is part of a short list of gawker-esque bloggers whose attempt at sanctimonious journalism make both benign and sensitive situations objectively worse for all parties involved. He also has the gall to put "EXCLUSIVE" for articles collecting people's tweets.

That said, animation is a small niche of the industry and the risk of blacklisting from the handful of studios making tv work is always in the periphery if you had any thoughts about publicly airing dirty laundry to people who can't contextualize.

A safe environment is the single most important bare-minimum request of any employee, and if the class is are true, I hope this situation is immediately called out for what it is.

Ouch, hope this isn't what it sounds like. The Loud House isn't perfect, but it does a lot of things right and gets major props for having a huge female cast. Judge the artist, not the art... I guess.

As for Dan Schneider, we should be extremely careful. His behavior and apparent interests are "strange," but that's not really problematic. If it's just the presumed fetish stuff linked above, that's harmless in all but the most extreme scenarios. If the darker rumors about coerced blowjobs, footjobs, and isolating girls for private abuse sessions are true, however, then it crosses the line into sexually explicit behavior and he needs to go down in flames.

Remember though that there's a massive difference between attacking people for odd interests/behavior and attacking them for abusive actions that led to harm/trauma.

Yeah, but calling some guy you don't know a pedophile because of an internet meme is cool.

I find it funny that of all the people in this thread you felt the need to call out one of the only ones who was not being a total shithead.
That's my fault, because they were the poster I mentioned.
I shouldn't have done that, it was rude.

Lijik

As for Dan Schneider, we should be extremely careful. His behavior and apparent interests are "strange," but that's not really problematic. If it's just the presumed fetish stuff linked above, that's harmless in all but the most extreme scenarios. If the darker rumors about coerced blowjobs, footjobs, and isolating girls for private abuse sessions are true, however, then it crosses the line into sexually explicit behavior and he needs to go down in flames.

Remember though that there's a massive difference between attacking people for odd interests/behavior and attacking them for abusive actions that led to harm/trauma.

Even if its "just" the presumed fetish stuff, the age of the people involved skips this right past Tarantino-esque "odd interest" territory and the tweet asking fans to show their feet becomes a direct mirror of a technique youtube predators use to trick kids into making videos about their niche fetishes

EDIT- Just to be clear Im not saying its bad to be cautious about rumors, just the apparent stance of "Well if it is true, its still okay unless he did the absolute worst stuff possible" this post takes

Rated-G

^This

I’m friends with 4 members of the cast of Victorious, and they’ve always had nothing but good things to say about Dan. I understand that if anything like that had been happening behind the scenes, it might be sensitive stuff that they’re not going to be open about. And if stuff like that had been happening, at least on that show, I wouldn’t expect the cast to be so vocal about wanting Nickelodeon to let them come back for a reunion. I could understand the cast wanting to do it if they haven’t really been finding work since the show, but one of the more recent calls to action came from Ariana Grande on Twitter, directly to Dan and Nickelodeon, expressing a desire to do some sort of finale for the show, to which all of the main cast responded and threw their support into. I know it’s a public platform and who knows what they all think about that behind closed doors, but even the cast I talk to offline are all invested in this possibility. I wouldn’t expect this kind of vocal support if anyone was being abused or made uncomfortable on set, especially by Dan, since many of them have expressed interest in working with him again.

With the last few weeks in this industry, I certainly am not going to defend the guy and claim he’s 100% innocent, because in truth I have no idea. But I do feel like it’s entirely possible people could be casting doubt and suspicion his way when there really isn’t anything concrete enough at this time, publicly, to brand this guy with any of the terms being thrown his way. I certainly hope none of those suspicions ever end up being true, not for his sake but for my friends and any other young actors and actresses who could potentially be affected.

That being said, as far as Chris goes, I didn’t realize he had such a history following him from production to production. I remember with Clarence, I saw a bunch of accusations coming out months leading up to anything happening, I hadn’t even heard anything related to this until his suspension, so it definitely came as a surprise. I hope with all the harassment and abuse being called out lately, that it’ll start happening less often, because it’s truly terrifying how prevalent it is, and is being proven to be.

^This

I’m friends with 4 members of the cast of Victorious, and they’ve always had nothing but good things to say about Dan. I understand that if anything like that had been happening behind the scenes, it might be sensitive and stuff that they’re not going to be open about it. And if stuff like that had been happening, at least on that show, I wouldn’t expect the cast to be so vocal about wanting Nickelodeon to let them come back for a reunion. I could understand the cast wanting to do it if they haven’t really been finding work since the show, but one of the more recent calls to action cams from Ariana Grande on Twitter, directly to Dan and Nickelodeon, expressing a desire to do some sort of finale for the show, to which all of the main cast responded and threw their support into. I understand it’s a public platform and who knows what they all think about that behind closed doors, but even the cast I talk to offline are all invested in this possibility. I wouldn’t expect this kind of vocal support if anyone was being abused or made uncomfortable on set, especially by Dan, since many of them have expressed interest in working with him again.

With the last few weeks in this industry, I certainly am not going to defend the guy and claim he’s 100% innocent, because in truth I have no idea. But I do feel like it’s entirely possible people could be casting doubt and suspicion his way when there really isn’t anything concrete enough at this time, publicly, to brand this guy with any of the terms being thrown his way. I certainly hope none of those suspicions ever end up being true, not for his sake but for my friends and any other young actors and actresses who could potentially be affected.

That being said, as far as Chris goes, I didn’t realize he had such a history following him from production to production. I remember with Clarence, I saw a bunch of accusations coming out months leading up to anything happening, I hadn’t even heard anything related to this until his suspension, so it definitely came as a surprise. I hope with all the harassment and abuse being called out lately, that it’ll start happening less often, because it’s truly terrifying how prevalent it is, and is being proven to be.
Yeah. I’m a little iffy on the Dan Schneider stuff because he clearly indulges in weird fetish shit, but other than that we have really saucy rumors and the fact that he has the perfect face for a child molestor’s mugshot.

It wouldn’t entirely surprise me if he was guilty of something, but until someone actually comes out and accuses him of said something, it’s hard to say definitively that he’s a pedophile and sexual abuser. That’s a very serious accusation, and until a victim actually makes it I’m not ready to make it myself.

Rated-G

It wouldn’t entirely surprise me if he was guilty of something, but until someone actually comes out and accuses him of said something, it’s hard to say definitively that he’s a pedophile and sexual abuser. That’s a very serious accusation, and until a victim actually makes it I’m not ready to make it myself.

Lol pretty much perfectly what I was trying to say about it, but much much more concisely and eloquently, thank you!

DeathyBoy

Banned
Got it.

Edit:

Not sure if serious given people defended Saville using this exact same logic.

Even if its "just" the presumed fetish stuff, the age of the people involved skips this right past Tarantino-esque "odd interest" territory and the tweet asking fans to show their feet becomes a direct mirror of a technique youtube predators use to trick kids into making videos about their niche fetishes

EDIT- Just to be clear Im not saying its bad to be cautious about rumors, just the apparent stance of "Well if it is true, its still okay unless he did the absolute worst stuff possible" this post takes

As a parent myself, I'm not going to worry about "obscure niche fetishes" in a world where 99% of abuse follows typical sexual interests. My daughter has posted lots of videos on Youtube with her friends, including all manner of requested "challenges." I used to check each one to make sure nothing explicit was contained within, but now I trust her to monitor herself. I'm sure somebody could find some of what she's posted arousing, "Rule 34" and such, but I've discussed that with her and she isn't bothered. And if she isn't, I'm not.

At some point, we need to focus in and say "go after the people that cause harm and trauma." Otherwise, every clothing magazine featuring kids, every TV show with kids at the beach, any piece of media at all featuring children becomes a target.

Do that, and you lose sight of the people molesting kids, raping them, creating CP, exposing themselves to them, etc... in favor of nabbing the guy who gets off on videos of kids licking their elbows or whatever. That dude's not going to ruin my daughter's life.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Has there been any sort of accusations against this Dan Schneider guy doing unscrupulous things or is just an internet meme at this point?

Has there been any sort of accusations against this Dan Schneider guy doing unscrupulous things or is just an internet meme at this point?

Internet meme/rumors. The biggest one is that he's the father of Jamie Lynn Spears' child and coerced child stars into giving him BJs.

Awful if true, but there's been zero substantiation.

caliph95

Seems to be a meme

I will be fair and say he adds "subtle" sexual jokes and apparently some weird fetish which add fuel but seems to be just rumors otherwise

Top Bottom