• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX New Screens

Fixed1979

Haven't seen or read details of this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I swear they had previously stated that their were no multiplier snowflakes in the game, I'd do some searching but everything is blocked here at work.

I'm only confident because I remember being really disappointed when I read it as this is were I spent all of my time in previous SSX games, I only did the races to increase the characters stats and then never looked back. 3 or 4 of us used to get together and throw down 20 bucks each and run through all the courses for high score, whoever won the most tracks won the cash. I wish I knew where that old memory card was, I'd love to load it up and play on it again, I swear there was some absolutely ridiculous scores posted and it would probably blow my mind now wondering how the fuck we did it.

There was months and months of my life wasted playing these games and I'm really hoping I'll enjoy this one.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Looking good. Now lets hope the soundtrack is on point.

Hylian7

Is this game the biggest turn around since the initial unveiling of a game ever? They have COMPLETELY turned this game around since it was "SSX Deadly Descents". I am definitely excited for this.

SykoTech

Is this game the biggest turn around since the initial unveiling of a game ever? They have COMPLETELY turned this game around since it was "SSX Deadly Descents". I am definitely excited for this.

It is for me. I was completely uninterested when they first revealed it at the VGAs. But after watching the Massive World video series, I think it looks awesome.

soultron

Banned
I swear they had previously stated that their were no multiplier snowflakes in the game, I'd do some searching but everything is blocked here at work.

I'm only confident because I remember being really disappointed when I read it as this is were I spent all of my time in previous SSX games, I only did the races to increase the characters stats and then never looked back. 3 or 4 of us used to get together and throw down 20 bucks each and run through all the courses for high score, whoever won the most tracks won the cash. I wish I knew where that old memory card was, I'd love to load it up and play on it again, I swear there was some absolutely ridiculous scores posted and it would probably blow my mind now wondering how the fuck we did it.

There was months and months of my life wasted playing these games and I'm really hoping I'll enjoy this one.

Man, I thought my scores were good until I joined MerquryCity.com. Some of the scores posted there blew my mind. Mind you, some of the scores are done with exploits like wormholes and grinding backwards up the mountain, but it's still a definite technical feat to watch some of these people play.

I cannot wait for the multiplayer aspect of it. It'd be awesome to do some GAF moneymatches, now that you mention it. c:

tapedeck

YesJackNicholson.gif

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Fuck it, I'll just come out and say it:

I was more hyped when it was Dead Descents. At least they kept that same kind of style, I don't have any kind of nostalgia about SSX, and could care less what they keep from the old games.. just give me a good snowboarding game.

tapedeck

Fuck it, I'll just come out and say it:

I was more hyped when it was Dead Descents. At least they kept that same kind of style, I don't have any kind of nostalgia about SSX, and could care less what they keep from the old games.. just give me a good snowboarding game.
I wont come at you bro, but I will say I respectfully disagree.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, but 60FPS man, 60FPS.

With a game like this, 60 FPS input feedback is more important than 60 FPS onscreen, if you understand what I'm saying. gondee asked this of Batty when we were there and Batty said that he wants to get the game's input feedback feeling as good as possible. Hopefully this info helps you consider the console version as an option, at the very least.

I haven't been keeping up with this new game but I hope that it is more SSX1 and SSX3 than any other snowboarding game out there. Damn, such fun and spectacular games!

epmode

So I'm still worried about the WE HAVE 2893680234 TRACKS BASED ON IRL TOPOGRAPHY thing. I don't believe it's possible that all of that content will even come close to the awesome tracks from earlier games.

Afrikan

another game I'm looking forward to using my Sony Headset thing with. Hopefully it has 1st person mode...as well as a 3d option (doubt it though).

So I'm still worried about the WE HAVE 2893680234 TRACKS BASED ON IRL TOPOGRAPHY thing. I don't believe it's possible that all of that content will even come close to the awesome tracks from earlier games.

If you watch some of their Massive World videos they show footage of the new tracks and it seems like they just used that data as a starting point. They've put in cool things like oil pipes, train tracks, trees, power plants, and even a dam. Even though we won't be boarding through towns like Tricky I still think we'll have enough things to see.

epmode

If you watch some of their Massive World videos they show footage of the new tracks and it seems like they just used that data as a starting point. They've put in cool things like oil pipes, train tracks, trees, power plants, and even a dam. Even though we won't be boarding through towns like Tricky I still think we'll have enough things to see.
I realize that it's not just raw Google Earth data but it all comes town to content volume; There's so much more landmass in here that I don't see how it's possible to give everything the care it deserves if it's going to stand up to earlier tracks. It would just take too long!

I guess it makes sense if they're going the Burnout Paradise route where it's the whole package that's important, not the individual courses. But I'm one of the crazies that didn't like the unfocused nature of Paradise compared to the earlier games.

Hylian7

With a game like this, 60 FPS input feedback is more important than 60 FPS onscreen, if you understand what I'm saying. gondee asked this of Batty when we were there and Batty said that he wants to get the game's input feedback feeling as good as possible. Hopefully this info helps you consider the console version as an option, at the very least.

I already was, but I would still much rather have a PC version.

As a major hater of the reveal trailer, I've come almost all the way around on this game. It still isn't as wacky and character centric as I want it, but it's looking to be the best SSX since SSX3, and if the online races really are setup like "Trackmania SSX", I could be dropping a TON of time into this game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Hylian7 said:
Yeah, but 60FPS man, 60FPS.
Actually has that been answered for console yet? It's a pretty big deal for this game - SSX framerate wasn't stable but it managed to hit 60 fairly often.

Pimpbaa

Hope they have some ridiculous outfits too besides the realistic snow boarding gear.
Cleavage showing outfits for Elise like the previous games please.

That reveal trailer was so bad, but I think I've changed around completely since then. The game is looking and sounding good. The video that discussed the music sounds promising, but the no local multiplayer is a pretty big negative in this day and age. It doesn't make since not to have it. Also, my babymama better have a panda outfit.

There is a demo coming. This was confirmed in July when gondee and I were in Vancouver.

The game was not changed mid-development. I get tired of restating this over and over. Marketing presented it poorly, choosing to focus solely on the new stuff (Deadly Descent events) rather than saying, "Hey, SSX fans, we're back! Look at all the old stuff we're bringing and the new stuff we're excited for you to play!" The game had been in development for 2+ years when it was revealed. It played great months ago when I got my hands on it. Fear not.

I guess it's a matter of whether or not you believe the game wasn't changed. I most certainly believe it was.

They revealed it and made a point of announcing all the things they were changing, including the controls. Then they realized how much people hated their ideas, and suddenly it's the same old SSX we know and love. I'm not suggesting the entire game was redesigned, but I definitely think the general vibe has been tweaked, and some old stuff brought back to appease fans.

gondee

Way to hold down the SSX faithful here at Gaf, soultron. :)

soultron said:
Man, I thought my scores were good until I joined MerquryCity.com. Some of the scores posted there blew my mind. Mind you, some of the scores are done with exploits like wormholes and grinding backwards up the mountain, but it's still a definite technical feat to watch some of these people play.
Using the exploits doesn't diminish the skill of some of the guys at Merq. That's a cop out, they're still the best players in the world. The thing that's most interesting to me will be seeing how the online community stacks up to our own players. Last time we had SSX online (during SSX 3), there were some amazing players who never joined our community.

soultron said:
The game was not changed mid-development. I get tired of restating this over and over. Marketing presented it poorly, choosing to focus solely on the new stuff (Deadly Descent events)
This is definitely true. However, the game was not as far along as they like to say it was, and the fact that they released that terrible Deadly Descents trailer at the very START of 'public' development allowed the team quite a bit of leeway to change things based on fan feedback. Considering they asked us our opinion on stuff and then changed other things accordingly, it would be naive to say they didn't alter their development at least somewhat.

Fantastical said:
As far as I know they are still saying there will be one.
Yes, there will absolutely be one. This game is an unknown quantity at EA, and according to the marketing execs over there who we spoke with during the Community Event, the download numbers of a free demo is an excellent indicator of final sales.

soultron

Banned
Way to hold down the SSX faithful here at Gaf, soultron. :)

Using the exploits doesn't diminish the skill of some of the guys at Merq. That's a cop out, they're still the best players in the world. The thing that's most interesting to me will be seeing how the online community stacks up to our own players. Last time we had SSX online (during SSX 3), there were some amazing players who never joined our community.

I never meant to insult any Merq players, I was just trying to point out how their playstyles reinvent the game. ;]

New screens look killer, as usual. Mac is my main. Gonna be sweet!

So, so awesome.

I know it will never happen but if they bring back Shaun Murray Wakeboarding and Splashdown my gaming collection would feel complete.

Top Bottom