• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2016 | Apple unbinds Isaac

DC Legends came out today. I downloaded it, but it's taking quite a long time to load the config data.

Finally got it to load and it's a fun game. Was playing for an hour or so until the fucking thing kicked me out and erased all my progress for no reason, including the Wonder Woman you get if you signed up for an alert letting you know the game was out.

heringer

This is tempting. Curious about the difficulty. I never got into FFT because I genuinely sucked compared even to a game like Banner Saga.

I got the game but haven't played yet. If reviews and impressions are to be believed, it's more of an entry level SRPG. Not as hard or complex as FFT, but a good enough homage.

RedSwirl

Ember actually looks kind of good. I like how it uses actual touch controls instead of a damn virtual stick and buttons. You'd think bringing the classical CRPG or Diablo-style interface to mobile would be a no-brainer.

If you like SPRG's, Mercenaries Saga 2 is out. It's originally a 3DS game. Reviews are decent. $2.99 launch sale.

https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/mercenaries-saga2/id1165273218?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

This is tempting. Curious about the difficulty. I never got into FFT because I genuinely sucked compared even to a game like Banner Saga.

There's a demo for this game on 3DS which I tried out. I thought it was originally a mobile game judging by the interface.

It seemed like an okay FFT clone but you could tell it definitely didn't have the same kind of budget, not even compared to the FFTA games. In any case, I already have the real FFT on my phone, though I imagine this game might have controls more optimized for mobile.

Heel

The Trail - A Frontier Journey from Peter Molyneux is out.

sc1024x768.jpeg

PittaGAF

I hate being the bearer of potentially sad news but even the optimist in me is strarting to lose hope.

In their recent blog Darkest Dungeon devs celebrated the fact they have now sold over 1 million copies of their awesome game, yeah, congrats and very well deserved.

They talk about the future too, with a new expansion coming and support for mods and Steam workshop next....
Tablet and other devices porting is 'high on their list' as they seemed to realize now that their engine is suited to touch devices...but nothing more than that.

So I wouldn't expect Darkest Dungeon on iPad or iPhone (I see it perfectly suited to both) anytime soon...it's at least a year ahead, if anything imho.

Not that I don't have games to play but still it hurts, especially after seeing how freaking awesome is SteamWorld Heist on iOS (different game, but similar perspective).

Last summer I was pretty sure I could be playing Darkest Dungeon on my iPhone in bed at night this Christmas.

Sad face.

But don't get me wrong, I'm super happy they sold so much, they really deserve it.

PittaGAF

Have the Steamworld Heist devs announced a target for the iOS release yet? Are they still beta testing?

They said today in their twitter to look forward an announcement soon, like next week (the announcement).

I really hope you will like it like I did, and I wasnt even that hot on the whole steamrobot setting.

Do you know anything about the game, saw any video?

They said today in their twitter to look forward an announcement soon, like next week (the announcement).

I really hope you will like it like I did, and I wasnt even that hot on the whole steamrobot setting.

Do you know anything about the game, saw any video?
I've heard the name before but know very little about the game outside what's been said about it in here. Is the game suited to touch controls? And is it easy to pick up and play?

I've heard the name before but know very little about the game outside what's been said about it in here. Is the game suited to touch controls? And is it easy to pick up and play?
It's the kind of port you would never know was a port since it plays so well on mobile

PittaGAF

As MB said, if I didn't know it was a port I would have never guessed.

I went into the game totally blind too, I just saw a video some time ago and was intrigued by the 2D XCOM mechanics.
I was super surprised by how well the mechanics worked, how much variety they were able to put in the formula and how fun it is.
The fact it's triple A polished (just know there are SEVERAL full songs, with vocals and everything, and they are all great too) is just the icing on the cake.
Story is nice too, with one pretty memorable moment too.

EDIT: forgot to answer the question....yes it's super easy to pick and play, even if you will end up playing for hours.
It starts pretty simple but the more you play and unlock stuff, the deeper it gets.
Options in the end are pretty daunting too.

killercow

As MB said, if I didn't know it was a port I would have never guessed.

EDIT: forgot to answer the question....yes it's super easy to pick and play, even if you will end up playing for hours.
It starts pretty simple but the more you play and unlock stuff, the deeper it gets.
Options in the end are pretty daunting too.

Exactly. I don't play that much on mobile these days but even I spent 15 hours on this and it felt like a lot less. Definitely worth it.

Jarsonot

Thinking about getting Ember, wondering if you can grind in the game?

Often I don't have time for long sessions, so I'll mostly be playing it at night. Wondering if I find 20 minutes or so during the day, could I open it up and grind for a bit, without necessarily making story progress?

Ended up playing a lot of ys2 on iPad on a flight. So good. Hope they release felghana soon. I own that everywhere. Would love it on iOS.

Been playing a lot of Dream Quest recently. Hadn't played it in a while, it's just as awesome as it ever was. If you haven't played it and like roguelikes and card games, it's a must-play. The visuals may take some time to get used to, but they have a certain charm to them.

PittaGAF

In case you missed it, Stately Play, the website where you can find a lot if not all familiar faces from the old Pocket Tactics, is up and already has a lot of content (both iOS and PC) worth a reading imho.

So far no exclusives/interviews/features but I'm told they are coming too.

http://statelyplay.com/

NeoRaider

Got iPhone 7 few days ago. Please GAF recommend me some "must play" games, preferably iOS exclusives.

I played few titles like Lara Croft GO, Hitman GO, Monument Valley, Ridiculous Fishing... on Android.

Thanks

Got iPhone 7 few days ago. Please GAF recommend me some "must play" games, preferably iOS exclusives.

I played few titles like Lara Croft GO, Hitman GO, Monument Valley, Ridiculous Fishing... on Android.

Thanks
Year Walk
Device 6
Goblin Sword
Kero Blaster
Transistor
Severed
Bastion
Imbroglio

Erebus

PinOut's aesthetics are gorgeous. I love the music too.

Can't believe how nicoga3000 managed to beat the game without the checkpoints though lol.

Some cool finds

YANKAI'S TRIANGLE - $2.99 (from the dev of Circa Infinity)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yankais-triangle/id1090292301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RQHteaEQs
Circa Infinity was probably my favorite mobile platformer (well, it's a port) this year, and was incredibly inventive and varied, so I'm very interested in seeing how this new puzzler is

Hinges - Free, iPad only (Not sure if this one is working. I can download and start it, but doesn't seem to progress from there unless I'm missing something)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hinges/id1017554231
https://vimeo.com/170321196

Have you guys heard of Zombie Exodus? It's zombie apocalypse interactive fiction that has nearly as many words as 80 Days or Sorcery 4 (750,000+), as well as stats and other RPG elements
The first two chapters are free, final 3 are $2 (and about 200,000 words) each
One playthrough is about six hours
www.zombieexodus.com

Dev just released a sequel series called Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombie-exodus-safe-haven/id1162838852
Part one is $4.99 and 500,000 words, and expands even further on the RPG aspects

nampad

Thanks

You only need Clash Royale to be happy.

Not a fan of these games. :/
Not a fan of F2P games or of MOBAs? I usually don't play many F2P games, and dislike Clash of Clans or any similar games

Clash Royale is so good that it actually got me to buy microtransactions that wasn't an ad remover or game unlock. That's something I thought would never happen. It's that fun and enjoyable. Definitely worth giving a shot

awp69

Not a fan of F2P games or of MOBAs? I usually don't play many F2P games, and dislike Clash of Clans or any similar games

Clash Royale is so good that it actually got me to buy microtransactions that wasn't an ad remover or game unlock. That's something I thought would never happen. It's that fun and enjoyable. Definitely worth giving a shot

I've shied away from this due to my general disdain for Supercell and F2P games like Clash of Clans, but you convinced me to finally give this a shot.

Just playing the tutorial, have to say it's pretty fun and addicting so far!

I've shied away from this due to my general disdain for Supercell and F2P games like Clash of Clans, but you convinced me to finally give this a shot.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best multiplayer anything I've ever played on mobile. Mainly becaus it doesn't feel like multiplayer at all. It gives the one-more-go, instant restart pacing of an arcade game to online multiplayer. Each match is only a few minutes, and if it wasn't for the player name in the corner, it would never feel like an MP game.

awp69

How about suggestions for single player non internet required CCGs?

Not sure if these would technically qualify as CCGs, but Solitairica and Card Crawl are two great card battle games that are single player offline.

Ketch

I have solitarica, it's great. I haven't tried card crawl, kind of waiting for their new thing..... Hopefully it's out soon?

nampad

It's pretty much the only game I have been playing these past 6 months. No game has hooked me like it since World of Warcraft.

If you are looking for a clan later on, feel free to join the clan named GAF (our tag is #QYYQCQ).

Jarsonot

Been playing a lot of Dream Quest recently. Hadn't played it in a while, it's just as awesome as it ever was. If you haven't played it and like roguelikes and card games, it's a must-play. The visuals may take some time to get used to, but they have a certain charm to them.

You post made me pick it up again too. Really like it, but think I need to stop the difficulty, I get stuck around when I hit level 7 a lot. =)

Anybody know about grinding in Ember?

awp69

You post made me pick it up again too. Really like it, but think I need to stop the difficulty, I get stuck around when I hit level 7 a lot. =)

Anybody know about grinding in Ember?

You can wonder around and find monsters and stuff to grind in Ember. It takes a lot to grind to level up though. Most of the XP is gained completing quests or side quests -- not through random encounters, which just give you a small amount of XP for each enemy you take out.

Ketch

I really want to play dream quest..... But those graaaaaaaaphics.... I know, I'm a bad person, but still... Those GRAPHICS

I really want to play dream quest..... But those graaaaaaaaphics.... I know, I'm a bad person, but still... Those GRAPHICS
The creator of Magic The Gathering likes it so much he personally reached out to the developer and gave him feedback. Blizzard hired the dev to work on Hearthstone because of Dream Quest. It's that good

You get used to the visuals after a while. They have a DIY charm to them

Posted some impressions here: Dream Quest, the ultimate gaming example of "Never Judge A Book By Its Cover"

Top Bottom