• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2016 | Apple unbinds Isaac

pronk420

Did anyone get 1775: Rebellion?

It sounds cool but I'm not sure about it since it is 4 player and I want to play it offline (vs AI, not pass and play).

Thanks all for recommendations. Got imbroglio, Crashlands, and clash Royale. Loving imbroglio
If you're enjoying Imbroglio, you need to also check out 868-Hack if you haven't. Imbroglio is crafted from some of the same DNA as it, but 868 is unique and different enough to be well worth playing

awp69

If you're enjoying Imbroglio, you need to also check out 868-Hack if you haven't. Imbroglio is crafted from some of the same DNA as it, but 868 is unique and different enough to be well worth playing

For some reason, I enjoy Imbroglio but could never get into 868-Hack.

putermcgee

I finally got Maximum Car, and it's so fun. It's pretty shallow, where tracks are mostly indistinguishable, but the voiceover guy is so dang funny. It's grating some of the time, and several lines get old quickly, but I find myself laughing a lot while playing. If you combined Rake Yohn from those cKy movies, and Brad Nicholson from the old Touch Arcade podcast, you'd get this announcer.

It's like the Horizon Chase of Burnout, but distilled down to the simplest mechanics.

Also, I charged up my dead iPad and tried to play three games:

First was Gods Will Be Watching, but it crashed while loading. I got it to work by turning wifi off, but it was still janky, and ended up crashing anyway after completing the first chapter. I guess it was pulled from the store shortly after release. I know it was only a dollar, but if they don't update it, I'm going to think twice before buying a game from the same company again.

Second was Peter Moorhead's Murder. I really wish I had played it when I first downloaded it. I thought it was something a lot more than it really is, which is a 10-15 minute visual short story with minimal interaction in very nice pixel art. It's worth the price if you're into the art style and want to support the writer if a very short sci-fi story, but don't think you'll be playing anything. I'm an advocate for "walking sims" like Firewatch and Gone Home, and would say those are definitely games... but I would not say this is a game any more than, say, reading and accepting a EULA is a game. Then again, if you want to call it a game, I support that.

Last was Dead Space. Remember that franchise?! I probably played this on the 3G or 3GS when it came out, and remember it being impressive for the time. This time, it barely ran, with constant lag and freezing. While I may have the bastard iPad 3, I'm going to say this is more likely due to iOS 9, and how it broke tons of older games. I got through the first level, but doubt I'll continue. It does make me want to revisit this series on console.

heringer

Mercenaries Saga 2 is a pretty good game, but man the controls are awful. They killed the game for me. :(

Which is sad because now I'm in the mood for a SRPG, but the options on iOS are scarce right now.

PittaGAF

Mercenaries Saga 2 is a pretty good game, but man the controls are awful. They killed the game for me. :(

Which is sad because now I'm in the mood for a SRPG, but the options on iOS are scarce right now.

Banner Saga 2 is great if you liked the first.
I'm told Invisible Inc. is great too (I have yet to buy it).

Soon SteamWorld Heist should arrive in the AppStore, and it's excellent (probably my goty).

heringer

Banner Saga 2 is great if you liked the first.
I'm told Invisible Inc. is great too (I have yet to buy it).

Soon SteamWorld Heist should arrive in the AppStore, and it's excellent (probably my goty).

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to SteamWorld Heist.

I'm not getting Banner Saga 2 until the last episode comes out. I hate cliff hangers with a passion.

PittaGAF

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to SteamWorld Heist.

I'm not getting Banner Saga 2 until the last episode comes out. I hate cliff hangers with a passion.

I see.
There is a cliffhanger but at least the first chapter...let's just say it concludes somewhat the starting story (of course it then opens a bigger one towards the end).
But it's not that bad imho in that regard (not fond of cliffhangers myself, so I really understand).

Invisible Inc, should be great too....I just bought Banner Saga 2 before I knew it was out and I want to complete it before buying it (and hopefully it will come to iPhone too by then).

SteamWorld Heist just was dropped like a bomb while I was downloading Banner Saga 2 and it really took me by surprise.
I'm missing it already.

heringer

I see.
There is a cliffhanger but at least the first chapter...let's just say it concludes somewhat the starting story (of course it then opens a bigger one towards the end).
But it's not that bad imho in that regard (not fond of cliffhangers myself, so I really understand).

Invisible Inc, should be great too....I just bought Banner Saga 2 before I knew it was out and I want to complete it before buying it (and hopefully it will come to iPhone too by then).

SteamWorld Heist just was dropped like a bomb while I was downloading Banner Saga 2 and it really took me by surprise.
I'm missing it already.
So jelly of you guys that already played SteamWorld Heist. I wonder why it's taking so long. :(

I almost bought it for my Vita but I decided to wait for the iOS version.

Oh well, at least now I'm getting the hang of Mercenaries Saga 2 controls. They are still bad but the game is good so I'll endure.

Rome: Total War comes out this week. iPad only, 4GB install

Nice! It will probably run like shit on my Mini 2 though.

awp69

Really? I haven't had any issues with the controls. Have you tried changing the to touch (little icon on the lower right side)?

Honestly think it's easier to control than even FFT on mobile.

PittaGAF

At long last I'm level 10 in Clash Royale.

I'm no match for the top dogs in Legenday Arena tough.

When I see a double sparky or a full flying deck, I immediately close the app :(

heringer

Really? I haven't had any issues with the controls. Have you tried changing the to touch (little icon on the lower right side)?

Honestly think it's easier to control than even FFT on mobile.

Yeah, I'm using touch. I'm kind of getting the hang of it by touching right below the tiles instead of in the middle. It still fails to register sometime, especially when it's a crowded area, but it's much better.

Really enjoying the game now.

awp69

Yeah, I'm using touch. I'm kind of getting the hang of it by touching right below the tiles instead of in the middle. It still fails to register sometime, especially when it's a crowded area, but it's much better.

Really enjoying the game now.

Yeah, come to think of it, it does require touching right below the tile. A bit off. Hopefully they will update it to make it more accurate.

I'm enjoying it so far too -- although work has been killing me lately so haven't played much of anything lately.

Woah, just saw that Madrista has been banned since last month.

Edit: And jon bones was just banned to. Stay safe iOSGaf, its not worth getting banned to let certain things outside this thread get to you.

awp69

Woah, just saw that Madrista has been banned since last month.

Edit: And jon bones was just banned to. Stay safe iOSGaf, its not worth getting banned to let certain things outside this thread get to you.

Hmmm...wonder what happened? Politics?

I stay mostly in this thread as it is.

Voidance

You're not subbed to 100+ threads like me? :p
I don't know how you do it. I have 6 subs and I occasionally feel as though that's too many.

On another note, Solitairica continues to be my go-to time waster. Great game, and I don't ever think I'll beat it with the Wizard

I don't know how you do it. I have 6 subs and I occasionally feel as though that's too many.

On another note, Solitairica continues to be my go-to time waster. Great game, and I don't ever think I'll beat it with the Wizard
To be fair, I have it so I auto-subscribe when I post in a thread. Every few months, I cut my subscribtions from 15 pages to 3. But it's really only the first 25-30 that I frequent the most while the others are like to revisit or plan to update eventually when new info on a game might come out

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Don't worry, pay a bit more to win and you can win again for a bit before hitting another brick wall. What a great game! :p

You can easily Make progress in the game by playing daily. Getting your free chests, crown chests and keeping chest slots full provide plenty of cards and gold. You can pay 2 win, but not required by any means. Patience is the key here.And for the record I generally hate free to play with iap. Clash royals is fantastic !

PittaGAF

Don't worry, pay a bit more to win and you can win again for a bit before hitting another brick wall. What a great game! :p

Actually it's not that bad.
I'm playing since months and I've never felt I was losing because I didn't pay anything.
I've actually had a ton of fun, and I still have.

There are some cards you find in Legendary Arena that are imho overpowered....but to be honest every time I thought this and got the card...after a week using it I discarded it.

Overall the game is very well balanced imho and the matchmaking is done so if you start losing for whatever reason you are put against always weaker opponents till you start winning again, so you always feel progressing.

The only caveats are player levels (you MUST be in a guild or you'll never level up) and the fact that at very high levels beside strategy and your deck, how much you leveled up single cards starts to be an issue....so until you feel comfortable with a certain deck and start upgrading those cards only, it's pretty sure you will lose many games.
That is the only case when the ones who pay (to level up faster) may have the upper hand, but then again there are so many players that it's unlikely you will always put against them.
I feel I can immediately recognize who paid something....level 7 players with all level 11 cards are a bit unlikely in my experience unless you start focusing on a single deck way early in the game.

But all that said, it's really the only free to play game that interested me for more than a week and one that I still play daily and enjoy.

I got an iPod Touch 6th gen yesterday so I could play Super Mario Run whatever else Nintendo puts out on mobile. I was excited to go browse the store and find some cool games but I'm not finding a whole lot.

I first went to get Dodonpachi Maximum since it was my favorite game on Windows Phone, only to find out it's not compatible with my device. It looks like a case of the game just not being updated in forever, but I'm pretty bummed about that. I was able to grab some other Cave games at least. I got Groove Coaster 2 which I like a lot so far. I tried Real Racing 3 which seemed like it would be cool with a controller, but the frame rate stutters every few seconds, which is a dealbreaker. Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed was fun as well, but I'd want a controller for that since I really dislike virtual controls. I got Hearthstone but haven't tried it yet. I don't normally like card games, but Overwatch has its hooks in me deep, so I'll try anything Blizzard makes now. I also have my eye on the Darius Burst game.

And...that's pretty much it? I browsed through several of these monthly iOS threads and nothing really jumped out as interesting to me. I play my 3DS and Vita a lot, so I think I am probably spoiled by those systems. I play mostly Japanese stuff on those, like Monster Hunter, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Mega Man Zero, Rhythm Heaven, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Ridge Racer...etc. I'm looking for vaguely equivalent types of games on mobile, but smaller in scale, I assume. I just thought I would find tons of games on this thing and I haven't so far.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Moga Ace Power controller? I've actually found several games I think I would like, if I could play them with a controller. A bunch of SNK's games, for example. Also, what's the deal with checking for controller compatibility? I don't see anything mentioned anywhere for games in the app store. Is it not standardized?

j-wood

Has anyone played galaga wars? So far this game is amazing. It's the perfect portable high score type game.

awp69

Has anyone played galaga wars? So far this game is amazing. It's the perfect portable high score type game.

Yes, been meaning to mention this. It's a great little shump and different enough from others in the genre with the Galaga flare.

Also, no timers and, of you take advantage of the first time buyer deal, only costs $.99 to remove adds AND get one of the additional ships.

Edit: actually there are waits for upgrades that you can bypass with in game currency. But nothing stops you from playing.

Holy fuck Binding of Isaac. I didn't realize that they made another version of it, I put over 100 hours into the original game. Is the new version an improvement on the original? Is the music as good? I love
my innermost apocalypse
so much.

Holy fuck Binding of Isaac. I didn't realize that they made another version of it, I put over 100 hours into the original game. Is the new version an improvement on the original? Is the music as good? I love
my innermost apocalypse
so much.
(Talking about the PC version), Rebirth is a huge massive evolution of BoI. New graphics, 60FPS, new items and room designs and enemies and more of everything

The Afterbirth expansion adds even more: new modes, new rooms, new items, etc.

And they're working on an Afterbirth+ expansion

(Talking about the PC version), Rebirth is a huge massive evolution of BoI. New graphics, 60FPS, new items and room designs and enemies and more of everything

The Afterbirth expansion adds even more: new modes, new rooms, new items, etc.

And they're working on an Afterbirth+ expansion
Welp, there goes my social life, I'm going to be face planted into the phone while resting on my Pokémon Go walks.

My initial impressions on Galaga Wars are positive. The game seems awesome, and pretty difficult. It does have a bit of FPS lag on my 7 plus, which is unusual.

my innermost apocalypse
so much.
Yeah, having Isaac on my phone is going to ruin my productivity. If Neon Chrome also turns out good it may end up replacing Leap of Fate on my phone. Two good roguelikes on the go would be a dream.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Got curious about Mr Molyneux's The Trail.

It seems kinda neat, more an experience than a game - a few kilometers into the trail. I'm guessing it opens up a bit once you reach the first town at 15km.

A bit of a battery drainer but a pleasant little thing so far.

Still playing Contest of Champions hardcore every single day...

Top Bottom