• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2016 | Apple unbinds Isaac

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

s62yT9E.jpg

Site | App Store
The Bug Butcher is an intense action shooter, wrapped in stylistic 2D art, and smeared with humor where timing and fierce reflexes are paramount!
The gameplay has an extremely simple core mechanic that is easy to understand, but hard to master. Plus, who doesn’t love a universe where you wield a beefy arsenal of military grade weaponry.
The core mechanics hold old ties from the classic arcade shooter “Super Pang” where you shoot vertically, but with modern day twists. You are Harry, a brash and tenacious exterminator who has a knack for decimating bugs.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Bug Butcher controls nicely on touch. Definitely worth picking up if you're looking for hectic action, colorful art and animations, and intense arcade challenge.
Bought The Bug Butcher and... is the same thing as the Steam version... now on mobile... better than ever since it can be played on the go. Amazing game. Controls are spot on and gameplay is as good as ever.
The Bug Butcher is just as I expected, and then some.

Glorious, reminds me the frantic days of Lost Socks, despite the different gameplay mechanics, but with the same colorful graphics, attention to details and great animations.

Maintaining the combos and using the powerups is fundamental to both survive and get an high score.
Mastering it is not trivial, while trying to stay alive.

If you were looking for a FRANTIC action title/pang clone...look no further.

xUG4BDx.jpg

Site | App Store
Eggggg is a ridiculous two-touch platform game about vomit. It's an action packed and crazy experience, and tailored for mobile devices. Gilbert has an extreme allergy to eggs. Eating them will literally make him vomit like a fountain. He escapes from his mean aunt Doris in order to get to a birthday party, and needs to use his vomiting superpower to survive a world of angry cyborg chickens... of course.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Played some Eggggg and... is great! Is the new stylelf platformers (double jump, wall jump,...) but the dev added a few twists that makes it almost a fresh experience, like making pools of vomit to cross a gap and other cool things. And the controls, after adapting to them, feel very comfortable and easy to control. I never miss a jump or a turn. Rayman Ripoff Run (the third game) should learn from this. Eggggg is also a polished gem full of sense of humor, style and oomph. The map is gorgeous. Very recommended.
Bit the bullet on Egggg. For $2, I don't feel like I got ripped off. I'm torn on whether I'm actually enjoying myself, or not, however. The game is gorgeous. All of the little subtle animations in the characters are just adorable. The game is a satisfying platformer that introduces new elements to its gameplay in a good manner that makes sense and doesn't overwhelm.

But I kind of hate the controls. They're awkward and I oftentimes find myself missing a jump because of it. Tap on the right side and you automatically start running to the right. Tap on the right again to jump. Tap left to change directions at anytime. Makes sense, and sounds simple enough, but either I'm stupid or just too tired to be playing, but I kept getting myself killed.

Despite that, I'm compelled to keep playing. It has a ton of levels complete with hidden areas (that are hidden very, very well) to find, so it's absolutely worth $2. It's $2.

llYuryx.jpg

Site | App Store
Take control of Invisible's agents in the field and infiltrate the world's most dangerous corporations. Stealth, precision, and teamwork are essential in high-stakes, high-profit missions, where every move may cost an agent their life.
sc552x414.jpeg
sc552x414.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

As expected, Invisible Inc controls wonderfully on touch. And fine on iPad Mini 2
Recommend this game to anyone who enjoy turn based strategy. It's really good.
This is one of the best games of the year, and my personal GOTY so far. If you have even a passing interest in turn based strategy or stealth, you need to play this game.
It's a hell of a game - everyone interested in XCOM and stealth should play it.

KdOHsKR.jpg

Site | App Store
A bullet hell shooter.
Enjoy an authentic bullet hell shmup on your smartphone! Take your new and upgraded ship to the challenge mode! Select from EASY, NORMAL, HARD, and HEAVEN difficulties! Test the limits of your skill!

CrgcwW3UIAAGuhn.jpg
Crgcw4qVYAAsbUf.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

You guys do know that Bullet Hell Monday is by the same dev as the .Decluster games, right? I'm torn on it. I love the fact that it is more colorful (and thus clearer to play) but the levels are oddly short. I mean I like shorter for mobility and to play here and there but these are too short IMO.

Overall, it is really fun though.
B. H. Monday is really addicting! Thanks for suggesting it.
Post-Chapter 3, I can say without a doubt that Bullet Hell Monday is probably my favorite shmup on mobile. $6 well spent

And I'd argue the short levels are absolutely a strength. Nice concentrated bullet hell action that is challenging enough to feel satisfying without lasting long enough to feel like a slog. The variety in enemies is great, and the way the game rewards as you progress is excellent
Bullet Hell Monday is a blast.
Bullet Hell Monday is an awesome shmup, one of the better ones definitely.
Air Attack 2 still the best though :p

aiG4ANk.jpg

Site | App Store
James Vanderboom's life drastically changes when he plants a special seed in the garden of the house he has inherited. Expand your bloodline by unlocking portraits in the tree of life.
Rusty Lake: Roots is the second premium point-and-click adventure by Rusty Lake, the creators of the Cube Escape series and Rusty Lake Hotel

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Did anyone check out Rusty Lake Roots? You should. Also Rusty Lake Hotel and the dev's Cube Escape games, which are all free and last about 30 minutes to an hour each. Played together and in release order, they tell a spawling unsettling Lynchian narrative of the titular hotel and its many guests throughout the year. Rusty Lake Roots is the biggest game in the series (about 4-6 hours).

knfhiR3.png

Site | App Store
SPINGUN is a "manic two-button arcade shooter". Two buttons. One spaceship. Zero chance to survive.
Fly and steer with either single button, or press both buttons at once to fire your ship’s powerful blaster gun. Grab powerups to launch missiles, plasma balls, and flames at your foes. Blast em to bits quick to repair your ship. How long can you fight them off?

wfLYcIr.jpg
f3MTwAG.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Not going to be a popular opinion I know, but I think Spingun might be better than Downwell. Spingun is just fun and the controls are hectic but that's actually the point. Downwell has finer controls but I feel that it's gameplay doesn't suite touch controls very much.

hlEjMnE.png

Site | App Store
Mini Metro is a game about designing a subway map for a growing city. Draw lines between stations and start your trains running. Keep your routes efficient by redrawing them as new stations open. Decide where to use your limited resources. How long can you keep the city moving?
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Mini Metro plays great on touch, as expected

The game finally clicked with me after not being able to get into it on PC. It's all about managing efficiency with limited resources and space, and optimizing your network. It's a calmer simpler minimalist style of puzzler in the vein of SpaceChem.
Mini Metro is fantastic. An almost hypnotic experience to kill so much idle time. Loving it
A tremendously fun game

2lGbvd2.jpg

Site | App Store
Really Bad Chess is just like chess, but with totally random pieces. Try 8 Knights, 4 Bishops, and 3 pawns — why not?
Whether you play chess daily, or quit just after learning the rules, this small twist will open the door to an entire new world of chess.

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I'm really enjoying Really Bad Chess, it's a simple idea but works surprisingly well
Really bad chess is fun. Free to try, so no risk!

ggO40h8.jpg

Site | App Store
Delve deep into the darkest dungeons on your quest for the ultimate prize.
Countless riches await those determined enough to overcome the deadly challenges of Treasure Buster. Defeat enemies by bouncing into them and snatch as much treasure as you can, in this unique blend of pinball and roguelike dungeon crawler.
Master each of the six unique heroes, all with their own characteristics and abilities. Compete with players all around the world on the global leaderboards to become the greatest treasure hunter of all time!

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Not really feeling Treasure Buster. It's fun, and easy and satisfying to play, but it feels mindless. Doesnt have that hook that Slayin had IMO
With Treasure Buster finally out, I gave it a shot.

It definitely plays like Monster Strike with Roguelike/RPG elements added to the mix.

Replay value may vary, but Endless Mode helps with this. There is also Arcade Mode with each of the game's six characters having their own set of stats (which you can increase after the end of each of the four out of stages), special abilities from the game's "Aura Meter", and their own endings. It may be repetitive in the long run, however.

I guess only real gripe is, while the game relies on skill and luck, you may eventually have to rely more on luck as the final two stages are occasionally, if not often, loaded with traps hazards that can possibly do more damage to you than the enemies themselves if you're not careful.

A fun game in its own right. Though, if nothing else, you should definitely get it for the kick-ass Sega Genesis-style soundtrack.

SxrmFhz.jpg

Site | App Store
Pinball reinvented by the award-winning developers of Smash Hit and Does not Commute! Race against time in a continuous journey through this mysterious canyon of pulsating lights and throbbing retro wave beats. The classic pinball mechanic remodeled into a breathtaking arcade experience.
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

PinOut was fun. Got to Infinity after 3 games. Scored 9500 or so. Not really interested in the full game since I don't see the value after going from start to finish that quick, ha.

jCAEjmD.jpg

Site | App Store
ade Empire: Special Edition is an award-winning action RPG from the makers of Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Experience a unique combination of fast paced martial arts action with a gripping, character driven story set in a mythical land. Each decision builds your reputation, changing the course of interactions with other characters and followers. Take the role of a master of martial arts, and recruit followers to your cause in an interactive, living world.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Loving Jade Empire again. I already finished it back in the day, but I didn't remember much of the story so it almost feels like a new game to me. There's nothing else quite like it in terms of story and themes.
Played through it on the original Xbox. My lasting memory from it was clunky combat and being disappointed it being Bioware's follow-up to KOTOR.

uwXC9Na.jpg

Site | App Store
An inventive puzzle platformer that allows players to break the map, by mirroring sections of the level, and rearranging it on the fly
You have a daughter. She is unfortunately infected by a zombie virus. The only way to save your daughter is to visit the laboratory in the future and steal the medicine that is expected to be made by your colleagues. But the future research team is hiding in the maze using mirrors. They decorated the maze using features of a mirror in each level.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

RETSNOM is a cool puzzle platformer with a little zombie shooting and a lot of level-altering mirror powers. Some really cool ideas and clever puzzles

lCPnkrc.png

Site | App Store
Moveless Chess is an innovative chess game developed by Beavl. Your objective is to checkmate the black king without moving your pieces. But how then? By transforming your pieces into new ones. Every transformation costs Action Points (APs) and every level has a limited amount of APs. So use them wisely!
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

yqJRDpx.jpg

Site | App Store
Feral Fury is a fast-paced, hardcore, twin stick shooter rogue-lite with randomly generated stages, encounters and items but also permanent unlocks and upgrades.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

4QipbSL.jpg

Site | App Store
The sequel to the insanely addicting Flappy Golf is here! Featuring the courses of Super Stickman Golf 3.
Play our famous Race Mode either online against your friends or locally for some serious fun! Or flap your way to the hole in as few flaps as possible to earn all the Gold Stars. Can you get them all and unlock Super Star Mode?

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

fV22B5c.jpg

Site | App Store
Totem Forge is a turn-based puzzle game with a strategy twist. A single procedurally-generated level provides an endless variety of gameplay situations. Your goal is to earn the highest score by using elements and tools at your disposal to make combinations and affect the game board — all while keeping it from being filled. You need to think strategically and plan ahead to achieve the greatest results. And watch out for those mysterious Totems!
kE1Rnag.png
NMtCg8B.png

9MEKsJv.jpg

Site | App Store
Guide Roofie through gorgeous, meditative rooftops and try to get the right color energy balls into the proper slots to solve the puzzle. But beware -- the architecture changes as you interact with it so think ahead. Every step you take may lead you closer to the goal, or trap you on the roof forever.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

Nekosan - November 3rd
Osteya: Adventures - November 10th
Party Hard Go - November 10th
Avadon 3: The Warborn - November 18th
Neon Chrome - Late November
The Walking Dead: Season 3
Islands
Twelve Absent Men
Human Puzzlepede
Cubed Rally World
Resynth
Sara Is Missing - Coming "very soon"
The Binding of Isaac - Coming "VERY SOON", currently in beta testing

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming October 2016 | When Ember leaves start to fall
iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money
iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer
iOS Gaming July 2016 | Freedom to necrodance the night away
iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here
iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests
iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold
iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits
iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot
iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Saucycarpdog for the thread title this month and to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

You know, I just want to thank you guys and OP for these threads. It really shows you that Mobile gaming has improved/ is improving.

Yes there's always going to be a lot of shit games out there, but finding the real high quality good mobile games isn't hard anymore.

RustyO

Thank you as always More_Badass, always appreciate the time and effort put into the monthly threads.

Great thread as usual.

Holy shit November loojks insane. also gotta buy like 3 games from the stuff you posted from last month. rip.

Mi-Clos is doing another dev talk stream tomorrow. More Antioch: Scarlet Bay and Out There Chronicles details, and announcing a new mobile game that they're publishing

Anybody up for a small guessing game? At the end of November every year Time releases its top 10 games of the year list. Over the past two years those lists have now included mobile games with mobile titles placing first in each one
which created plenty of accompanying salt
. Assuming the trend stays anybody wanna guess which mobile games will be on the list? Going by past titles that made the list and their top 50 apps article posted earlier today , I think these will make the list:

-Crashlands
-Reigns
-Sorcery! 4

My personal guess is that Sorcery! 4 will make the #1 spot on their list.

Anybody up for a small guessing game? At the end of November every year Time releases its top 10 games of the year list. Over the past two years those lists have now included mobile games with mobile titles placing first in each one
. Assuming the trend stays anybody wanna guess which mobile games will be on the list? Going by past titles that made the list and their top 50 apps article posted earlier today , I think these will make the list:

-Crashlands
-Reigns
-Sorcery! 4

I can't see Crashlands being on the list. I think if Islands is as good as the previews indicate, it'll likely get a lot of end-of-year praise.

Imbroglio and Love You To Bits are also contenders IMO

I can't see Crashlands being on the list. I think if Islands is as good as the previews indicate, it'll likely get a lot of end-of-year praise.

Imbroglio and Love You To Bits are also contenders IMO
I didn't think so either but it's on their top 50 apps list. Warbits is also on that list so that might make it too.

awp69

Ember, Solitairica and Leap of Fate are all certainties on my GoTY list. Probably the Bug Butcher too (although I try to shy away from ports on my list).

After that it gets hard. Lots of great games.

Matt Frost

-Crashlands
-Reigns
-Sorcery! 4

Super Mario Run will win it

Not Time's, last two years Prune and 80 Days were their #1 picks

But yeah I can see SMR taking the top spot in the GAF Voting. Btw, new rules this time will be at least three games and you need to include at least a comment for each for it to count

Don't think SMR will be out by the time Time releases its top games list.

EDIT: Going off what you said M_B, those past games make me think their number one game will be Sorcery! 4. They seem to have a soft spot for narrative, immersive based games.

I guess I could also see Reigns winning too based on its popularity and innovate gameplay.

PittaGAF

What's Pitta? Saw the name a lot in the October thread.

It's a bot.

A glorious bot.

:p

I actually own both Pitta and PittaGAF nicknames. I would prefer plain Pitta but for some reason it was stuck in activation hell years ago so I made a new one being a newbie and such. I wonder if I can change PittaGAF to just Pitta somehow, maintaining same mail and settings and subscriptions.

PittaGAF

I was told some time ago from the awesome devs of Stasis that the port of their excellent scifi adventure would come to iPad after their kickstarter and Cayne chapter, which I hoped would come this month but they announced it will be in Jan 2017.

So I guess Stasis for iPad will come in Feb 2017 at the earliest.

(The port is already underway of course, but they can't sustain multiple releases and a kickstarter in the same timeframe, so they space out all these events to give the necessary support for each one).

PittaGAF

Mi-Clos is doing another dev talk stream tomorrow. More Antioch: Scarlet Bay and Out There Chronicles details, and announcing a new mobile game that they're publishing

Can't wait for this, last time was great.

Hopefully we will see more of Sigma Theory too.

EDIT: End of monologue, sorry.

nampad

Not Time's, last two years Prune and 80 Days were their #1 picks

But yeah I can see SMR taking the top spot in the GAF Voting. Btw, new rules this time will be at least three games and you need to include at least a comment for each for it to count

I can see why the comment rule is important but the three games minimum rule sucks for people who don't play many new games.

For example, I pretty much only play Clash Royale all of my time. The only other game of 2016 which I have spent some considerable time with is Reigns, which I don't want to list/recommend. Other games like Inks have only been played for less than half an hour.

I can see why the comment rule is important but the three games minimum rule sucks for people who don't play many new games.

For example, I pretty much only play Clash Royale all of my time. The only other game of 2016 which I have spent some considerable time with is Reigns, which I don't want to list/recommend. Other games like Inks have only been played for less than half an hour.
I think the minimum rule is there so only people who are actually into mobile games can post.

Not saying you're not actually into mobile games but, like last year, we really don't need one liner posts "oh, I played this one F2P game for a while, it was fun" populating the thread. It would make the threads better if people who knew a little about mobile games were making posts in them.

Uh, PinOut is amazing. Immediately bought the IAP, about to order the soundtrack on vinyl. It's Tron Pinball, what the heck more do you need or want?

awp69

Know some of you had issues with the controls or the flow back and forth between runner style and more traditional rhythm game sections, but I absolutely loved Lost in Harmony. And still do (even has the ability to import your own tracks).

I'm bringing this up because it's on sale for free. The IAPs are completely optional (like extra characters). The story is emotional and extremely well done. And the music is just gorgeous.

Seriously underrated game IMO. Will likely be somewhere on my GoTY list.

RedSwirl

I just remembered I'm still mad I haven't found a good Diablo-a-like for iOS... or any portable system for that matter.

Sometimes I just wanna tap on some skeletons and get new swords for doing it. Is that so complicated?

Some exist, but none of them look even halfway slick if you ask me. I was expecting by now we'd at least get a Torchlight II-level game. Is it too much to ask for one that at least looks as good as VainGlory (just using that as a visual example)? Wasn't Infinity Blade III supposed to be that game?

Maybe the Nintendo Switch is the answer if anything gets made for that. It'd be cool if we got Dialbo or at least Torchlight or something similar for it.

awp69

I just remembered I'm still mad I haven't found a good Diablo-a-like for iOS... or any portable system for that matter.

Sometimes I just wanna tap on some skeletons and get new swords for doing it. Is that so complicated?

Some exist, but none of them look even halfway slick if you ask me. I was expecting by now we'd at least get a Torchlight II-level game. Is it too much to ask for one that at least looks as good as VainGlory (just using that as a visual example)? Wasn't Infinity Blade III supposed to be that game?

Maybe the Nintendo Switch is the answer if anything gets made for that. It'd be cool if we got Dialbo or at least Torchlight or something similar for it.

Titan Quest is the closest but the controls aren't that great and it's a bit buggy. Still playable but not as smooth of an experience as it should be.

Titan Quest got a port, and Torchlight Mobile is in the works

SteveWD40

Shit I forgot about Torchlight Mobile. Did they go totally dark?

No, it seems imminent but sadly it looks like F2P trash made for the Chinese market. Sad to see Runic sell out when TL2 was so fucking good, but they have clearly decided to chase the $$$ with this one (it's even got waifu characters) with timers etc...

Titan Quest is solid but buggy and the controls are meh.

Infinity Blade Dungeons looked perfect (tap to move, gesture based combat, crafting etc..) but they canned it for what seems to be no good reason.

I still wait for an actual loot based ARPG made for mobile...

killercow

No, it seems imminent but sadly it looks like F2P trash made for the Chinese market. Sad to see Runic sell out when TL2 was so fucking good, but they have clearly decided to chase the $$$ with this one (it's even got waifu characters) with timers etc...

Titan Quest is solid but buggy and the controls are meh.

Infinity Blade Dungeons looked perfect (tap to move, gesture based combat, crafting etc..) but they canned it for what seems to be no good reason.

I still wait for an actual loot based ARPG made for mobile...

Ember, while not exactly a Diablo-like has elements of it and seems to get quite a lot of praise. Don't know if you can still buy it but Orc: Vengeance was a fine hack and slash.

awp69

Ember, while not exactly a Diablo-like has elements of it and seems to get quite a lot of praise. Don't know if you can still buy it but Orc: Vengeance was a fine hack and slash.

+10000 on Ember. Great game and made for mobile so controls, menus, etc. work wonderfully. It's not hack n slash, but it combat is real time with the option to pause to set up how you want your party to use attacks, spells and potions. One of my all time favorite mobile RPGs.

And yes, for pure hack n slash, Orc is a good choice.

heringer

Yeah, I was going to recommend Ember too. Not exactly Diablo like, but close enough to scratch some itches.

Top Bottom