• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of Titanfall.

So with sales of Titanfall 2 below a good bit below expectations for EA but on the flip side the team at Respawn still crafted a fantastic sequel with a single player campaign that was thoughtful and really well done. Where does the series and respawn go from here?

Do we see a third Titanfall?

Does Respawn start from scratch and create a new IP with a heavy focus on story?

Or can we do something different with the Titanfall universe?

I personally would love to see them continue with the Titanfall universe but instead of going the standard FPS game format that unfortunately seems to only see great sales for Battlefield or CoD.

I honestly would love for them to maybe create something closer to Destiny but in their own way in the Titanfall Universe. I feel like a multi-faction game based on an somewhat open or completely open world would really do justice to the style that is Titanfall.

Multiple class types and Titan types. Being able to call down the Titan at certain points or having it back you up in drone mode. As well as boss battles and large scale fights with the titans and other large creatures/alien races/humans.

Honestly please don't read this as I want a copy of Destiny but something in the same vein. Doesn't even need to be a loot game. But I just feel like overall the universe of Titanfall could really be adapted into a cool FPS/TPS online game alla Destiny and The Division but with Respawns own flair, style, and design.

Broritos

I don't think Titanfall needs to change just because 2 didn't sell as well as the first game. I do think a lot can be done within the Titanfall universe though. A full on coop Campaign would be fantastic. I know Frontier Defense is coming and I'm anxiously waiting for it but I think there's a lot of coop type modes that can work within Titanfall and I hope they've been experimenting on that front.

Zophar

I was under the impression TF2 didn't underperform nearly as poorly as perceived though? The word of mouth has been overwhelming positive and they're still supporting it with very strong post-release content.

gbe3BBJ.jpg

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Launch the third one in spring, build on the second game. I expect they must've broken even at this point (hopefully) even though that may not be enough to justify a third game.

Launch the third one in spring, build on the second game. I expect they must've broken even at this point (hopefully) even though that may not be enough to justify a third game.

Given how modular the monarch is, map imports, and the upcoming loadout changes i think respawn would rather build upon the first game.

Oh yeah forgot they are bringing back frontier defense.

Mechazawa

Honestly please don't read this as I want a copy of Destiny but something in the same vein. Doesn't even need to be a loot game. But I just feel like overall the universe of Titanfall could really be adapted into a cool FPS/TPS online game alla Destiny and The Division but with Respawns own flair, style, and design.

gxrmEtJ.gif

Titanfall 3 with Split screen would be nice.

I wonder if people would be down for 24 players MP with Vehicles and Titans. Kind of like how Halo added an experimental big mode.

ShowDog

I'd much rather Respawn work on something else. Titanfall 2 is good but I haven't had as much fun with it as I did with 1, and I've played enough of the series at this point. Why are we afraid of new things?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They actually covered this yesterday:

We kicked off the week with EA Play where we had a booth where folks could come play some Titanfall 2 and come hang out and chat with Respawn devs. We had a lot to celebrate and talk about! During the weekend we shared that:

• We're extremely proud of Titanfall 2, and with close to 20 million people having experienced the Titanfall franchise, through either the original Titanfall or with Titanfall 2, we're committed to the franchise and excited by the opportunities ahead of us.
  • Since launch we’ve released 5 content drops, free for all players, and continue to see a vibrant, engaged playerbase with currently over a million active players a month.
  • Titanfall 2 will support Xbox One X. This means 4K resolution for increased fidelity as well as support for dynamic super scaling.
  • We’re not done with DLC yet! Our next update in July will be huge and will include the long-awaited return of a favorite mode from the original Titanfall…
Source: https://www.ea.com/games/titanfall/titanfall-2/news/frontier-news-network-16

They're currently hiring 30 more people to work on Titanfall 2 updates and Titanfall 3, which is separate from their Star Wars jobs: http://www.respawn.com/careers

Mikey Jr.

I really hope Respawn doesn;t give up after 2.

Its the first Titanfall game I played, and I fucking loved it. Loved the world, the story, the characters.

They gotta have another one in them.

Give me more games like Titanfall 2. It's not Respawn's fault EA decided to kneecap them by releasing it between BF1 and CoD (which finally had a decent SP again).

Glass Rebel

Titanfall 2 has been getting some pretty good post-release support so EA seems to be confident in it. The SP received great praise and apparently enough people are playing the MP. I assume they're just going to adjust the monetization for TF3 in the form of more cosmetics.

Respawn is going to have Titanfall and their new Stig Star Wars game run concurrently, I think.

HKA6A7

The game is still alive and kicking after being released bettween BF1 and CoDIW. That's no small feat. Low sales are clearly EA's fault, and it seems they don't blame Respawn for it.

In other words, the ip itself is fine, I don't see why the wouldn't make another sequel.

I must be one of the few people that thought TF2's campaign was highly overrated. I honestly thought it was predictable and flat. I played the hell out of Titanfall and felt that 2 was a mistep in nearly ever way. The balance and gameplay changes for TF2 were for the worse.

I think EA has made it pretty clear that they are committed to the franchise. The games are really good and received positive reactions from fans and critics. If titanfall 2 underperformed it was only due to being sandwiched between the two biggest fps franchises and people are more likely to just get the new cod rather thab try something new. If the next titanfall is as good as 2 and has a release date that makes sense it will be huge.

WoolyNinja

TF2 is my second favorite single player game in a while (Horizon being my first). The fact it also has my favorite FPS multiplayer is a shit-ton of icing on the cake.

EDIT: So I hope they definitely make a TF3

chriskun

They definitely need to make the mp more like the first one. Titanfall 1's mp was so simple, fun, and movement felt better. Titanfall 2s nerfed movement, reduced ttk, and reduced customization options made it feel way more cumbersome to play. I also feel like the leveling systems were way too obtuse not that it matters too much. The balance of weapons and titans is pretty ass too, even after several balance updates.

Tinúviel

I believe TF2's release date talk is irrelevant at this point.After so many discounts,f2p weekends actual playerbase didn't grow substantially i think this shows that Titanfall is a niche product it's not a direct CoD or BF competitor and it will never have huge playerbase if they stay loyal to current formula.

I like their trademark gun play,this team is the reason why i'm playing my FPS's on console in last decade.But i don't like Titanfall's Titan gameplay and i'm not so good at parkour and i don't know why but i still think TF1 was a better game even though it lacked content.

Ashtar

I don't know why we re still going with this narrative that it was an incredibly underperforming game when it was the 16th best selling game of the year in 2016 despite the admitedly poor launch date choice
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1361957
It outsold a lot of great games, now be that by aggressive price slashing or not is still subject to debate.
Additionally EA aka the reaper of studios has already stated its commitment to Titanfall as a brand and entrusted the studio with a big Star Wars license.
I think we ll see another Titan fall in a few years but I doubt they'd try any shared world stuff given they wouldn't want to compete with anthem
Edit: just to go further into the it's not a bomb territory it has 20 million users even if 60 % we're alts or free weekends that's still 8 million copies!
Edit 2: I could have sworn nirolak said 1 mau s. It I can't find it

StarPhlox

Titanfall 2 is a phenomenal game and the best FPS campaign I've played in many many years aside from maybe DOOM.

3 will happen. Even Mirror's Edge got another chance.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hope we get a sequel.

Campaign was fantastic and it's quite possibly the best multiplayer game ever created and is getting amazing post launch support.

Was happy to hear it's doing better in the patch notes. Deserves every sale.

Source: https://www.ea.com/games/titanfall/titanfall-2/news/frontier-news-network-16

They're currently hiring 30 more people to work on Titanfall 2 updates and Titanfall 3, which is separate from their Star Wars jobs: http://www.respawn.com/careers

Thanks a ton for this post. Every time this topic comes up there's always a vocal minority of people saying "It's dead, Jim" and/or practically rooting for the franchise to fail. It's kinda ridiculous. I was one of the *very* vocal critics of TF2 after the tech test/beta fiasco...but Respawn is obviously committed to making the game better & committed long-term to the franchise. I do still think the 1st game is better in some ways, but the 2nd has really turned into something special as well as having better long-term player retention. I can't wait for TF3.

Build off of Titanfall 2. Make a direct sequel that picks up the narrative from TF2, expand on the Multiplayer suite and get on a new engine, probably Frostbite. Hell, repackage Titanfall 2 with some new maps, guns and Titans and make grapple a permanent ability and I'll still buy the collector's edition.
I would literally quit gaming.

xviper

it really pisses me off how most people used to say Titanfall 1 MP was a disappointment and a bad game, this was coming from people who didn't even play it and were just jealous

and then when Titanfall 2 was available for everyone except Nintendo, they seem to be praising it's MP even though it's MUCH WORSE than Titanfall 1's MP

i used to really love TF1 and wanted the series to grow and become like COD\BF

but now i really don't care if it never gets a sequel, Respawn took the feedback from the people who didn't even play the game and just ruined what was good in Titanfall 1's MP

but on the positive side, they made an amazing single player in TF2

imagine TF3 with the MP of TF1 and SP of TF2, it could be close to the level of Halo

raduque

This is fantastic news. I was a fan of Titanfall (first fun MP game for me since UT) and loved the campaign in 2. In fact, I actually broke my game buying rule ($30 max, since I don't really play MP anymore) and paid ~$40 for Titanfall 2.

Top Bottom