• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of Titanfall.

Zemm

I will say this, regardless of where they go with Tf3, they really need to work on better maps. As much as I loved the gameplay I had to stop playing Tf2 because the maps were average at best and down right awful at worst and every time I think about starting the game up again I remember the maps and don't bother.

deoee

I will say this, regardless of where they go with Tf3, they really need to work on better maps. As much as I loved the gameplay I had to stop playing Tf2 because the maps were average at best and down right awful at worst and every time I think about starting the game up again I remember the maps and don't bother.

I want dynamic backgrounds back :-o

Chris1

I really like Titanfall 2 multiplayer but I feel I see why they keep releasing 'free' content...because it's content light to begin with. I can't image how bare the original game felt.

A third game needs lots of content from the off. It might mean a change of business model but even now it still feel bare compared to other multiplayer games.

The first game had double the amount of maps, all titans were customizable, etc

Honestly I'd argue there was probably more content in Titanfall 1 MP than there was in Titanfall 2 at launch

But I never had a problem with the amount of content in either game (except for the lack of good maps in 2), so dunno. A good game is a good game, it doesn't need a bazillion weapons or cosmetic bullshit.

Mafro

Titanfall (1) was a huge franchise even only on Xbox. The game sold 7M, a higher number than Titanfall 2 will probably reach.

The way people act it's like Titanfall 1 sold 500k or something. That's just not the case.

EA Definitely wants it but yeah, even if they don't MS would definitely jump in. The Titanfall franchise was never in doubt as long as Respawn wanted to make Titanfall.
Titanfall 1 had the benefit of Microsoft's huge marketing behind it, they basically treated it like a first-party exclusive. I'm not surprised it sold so well due to that and how shooter-orientated the XB1 audience was.

It's a real shame EA didn't put as much effort into marketing TF2 as they did with Battlefield 1. If we do get a Titanfall 3 I seriously hope the devs have a look at what people loved about the first game's multiplayer and don't make the huge mistakes they did with TF2 that they are still trying to fix.

Zeta Oni

Really hope they go in the direction of adding more of a focus on wildlife and the world around you if there ever is a third.

Running around that one map that had the weird Pitch Back-style monsters flying around the map while giant leviathans walked around in the background in Titanfall 1 is exactly the type of thing id like to see more of.

I just don't get it. I would say it's one of the best shooters in years, much much better than all of these yearly Call of Duty games. Awesome campaign with some really great moments and a MP that offers plenty of variety and freedom thanks to the traversal in this game. It has plenty to offer and honestly don't get why it didn't sell fantastically.

Mafro

I just don't get it. I would say it's one of the best shooters in years, much much better than all of these yearly Call of Duty games. Awesome campaign with some really great moments and a MP that offers plenty of variety and freedom thanks to the traversal in this game. It has plenty to offer and honestly don't get why it didn't sell fantastically.
Console exclusivity for the first game
Poorly received multiplayer beta that put off fans of the first game
Lack of multiplayer content at launch
Lack of marketing
Released during a busy period and got lost amongst Battlefield and COD

Every game dev I applied to fresh out of college completely ignored me. And now a decade and change later my relatively cushy developer job gives me lots of time to actually play video games... I couldn't throw that way to actually make games. Sad!

Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and my company will go out of business so the game dev dream could be reborn.

Yeah getting your foot into the game industry is often the hardest, honestly :/ I'm sorry to hear you had a terrible experience, and while I know this isn't an excuse or an explanation, just know that it probably wasn't personal; lots of people have terrible stories about how hard it was to get into the industry.

If it's any consolation, we do have several people at Respawn for whom it's their first game job. I was a programmer at a bank in Japan before my current gig. So take heart in that it's not impossible to switch, should you wish to. As to whether you should or not; well, that's a different story altogether :)

Dueck

Banned
TF2 was a dream of a game, but EA sent it out to die and couldn't salvage it. I honestly think if it had stayed on the Xbox One (or even been PS4-only), the allure of being an exclusive would've helped it to generate some hype and do better. As it stands, they either need to put out a third game in a year or two or just move on.

Falchion

Titanfall 2 was too well received and popular among everyone that played it for there to not be a followup. I need to jump back in but buying Overwatch has distracted me.

I want to see them expand even further on their single-player.
-A more nuanced, sweeping story that calls to mind Gundam or Macross.
-Better level designs that make use of parkour while shooting, similar to the training course. Also alternate paths through levels.
-Doubling down also on the Nintendo-esque use of level mechanics, including for the Titan
-Co-op.

For multiplayer, though, honestly, they can just build on what they have for 2 or go back to 1 and improve matchmaking. Though I would prefer an alternative to grinding to unlock stuff. The CoD4 model has overstayed its welcome.

Top Bottom