• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're the director of an 'International' version of FFXIII, what do you do?

duckroll

This thought exercise requires the belief that there is value in spending resources with a certain amount of talent involved, on a substantial remake of a sub-franchise which has mostly run all the goodwill it has into the ground. It's simply not worth it. What would be the point? Who would such a remake be for?

- I think people who actually liked FFXIII would be happier to have a new game which is similar in tone and style but original and without the baggage.

- I think people who did not like FFXIII would be happier to have a new game which might execute the things it tried to in a more elegant way, without recycling the same story and characters.

- I think talented developers who could be tasked with such a project would be happier and able to produce better results if they had the freedom to make something new and original rather than working off a framework of an existing game.

- I think the people who absolutely would buy a FFXIII remaster of some sort in the future would be satisfied to have the same game with some small QoL tweaks and improved graphics. This does not require substantial reworking nor a ton of discussion.

In general, I think a bare bones remaster makes the most sense because this isn't exactly the most attractive product and putting more resources than it deserves to try and make it something it is not is a silly creative and business decision.

DanielJr82

I think both Vanille and Lightning are together the worst characters in all of Final Fantasy. Yes, worse that whatch-you-ma-call-it bad guy in FFX-2.

Make every character look generic, souless, immature, ''badass'' so it will sell much better in the US.

Americans love their generic looking characters.

jpg

''Look at me, I am so mean, so badass.''
As opposed to generic looking dolls?

As someone who thought it was shit, there's no point. It's like having a conversation about fixing the Star Wars prequels with fan edits. You are talking about a thing that has such deep issues, shit characters and a nonsense story
which am I talking about?
, that there are no simple fixes. We have moved on to... other things. The Lightning is dead. Bury it.

duckroll

What's the difference?

Final Mix releases tend to add a bunch of additional content - both storywise and gameplay. Brand new boss battles, maybe some new areas, new cutscenes, lots of adjustments, new skills/forms/collectibles/whatever.

The FFXII HD Remaster improves graphics and has QoL improvements, but generally all actual content and assets are based on what already exists. They have a new redone soundtrack with some new tracks, but no new areas, no new spells, no new jobs, no new abilities, no new bosses or enemies.

Cancel it.

Hahaha yup perfect response to FFXIII! Gaming's favorite punchline everyone! Nothing redeemable about it!

... Add the improvements from XIII-2's battle system, pull out a bit more of the story written in menus, change Vanille's voice actor, and I would say throw in some kind of Gran Pulse like open area on Cocoon to improve the linearity issues people didn't seem to mind with X but it wouldn't fit the story.

Demoskinos

I think one of the QoL changes I would like to see is the party leader death = Game Over gone. FFXIII-2 dropped it and a remaster of the first should as well.

More hunts obviously. Other than that and maybe some fun bonuses like adding a costume system so you can dress up characters or something I don't know what else I'd want changed because fundamentally I really enjoy the base combat and story of the game.

You could possibly restructure how the progression system works for characters to allow for more varied builds earlier on which would be nice and could lead to some interesting new strategies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If they cancel it, should they also cancel the people who liked FFXIII? :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sadly the key issues with ff13 aren't like 10s balance or 12s board, you'd need to redo the combat system or levels to fix people's complaints.

Yup. 13's issues go right down to the very core of the game. You can rewrap that game all you want but it won't do shit to fix it.

MartyStu

This is throwing good money at a bad idea.

I am with duckroll here: minimal port with QoL improvements. Especially the battle system upgrades from XIII-2.

If you really want to engage in this exercise, then I would say adding gambits and severely reducing the number of tutorials would be a great start.

If they could somehow remix the levels or shorten the first few chapters so chapter 11 (I think that's when the game opens up) was much earlier on, along with added quests and secret bosses. Also implement XIII-2's combat. And of course improved graphical fidelity.

joe_zazen

I guess change the combat to flashy arpg, take out the story and replace it with something boring people can't make fun of, and hire some Westerners to redo the fashions so people won't make fun of that either. Basically remove anything that causes hate and make a Dorito game.

I don't recall being able to move during battles, which made some fights difficult when your tank would taunt while weaker people were near the and get hit with AoE attacks. Change that (if not full control, add a system like the paradigm system but call it the formation system or something where you can create formations ahead of time. Maybe even tied to which paradigm you're in)

teiresias

Make Tough Mom a playable character and rework the entire plot so that she can chastise them for doing exactly what the antagonists wanted them to do anyway.

Where to begin?

1) Streamline those first 10 chapters so you can get through them in ten hours instead of 20. Delete cut scenes if I have to
2) Do what others have suggested and allow party leader hot swapping, removing party leader death = game over
3) Rework the levelling system to more closely align to FFX's sphere grid
4) Since flashbacks are such a big part of the game, make it so you can "remember" the past at any point (i.e. Teleport to any past area at will) a la Radiant Historia. Certain items are locked to certain time periods and you can't bring exp earned in future chapters back to the past. This opens up past areas as collection spots for rare materials in quests while ensuring you're never overlevelled. Exp and loot earned in the past does carry on into future chapters. Each chapter has an optional hidden boss like Jihl that expands the backstory.
4) Completely new areas are playable flashbacks expanding each party character's backstory
5) Revamp the loot system so that strong creatures in past chapters drop good end game loot. Make alternate paths to the ultimate weapons that aren't just killing adamantoises for hours on end

Thoraxes

I'd like to see XIII-2's battle system improvements/speedups/ability to change party leader. Expand the crystarium or give all roles from the start. Maybe allow an ability or two to mix per role to give some crazy strategic depth. Weapon upgrades can definitely be fixed too. Maybe add an option to speed up the battles even faster than they are now.

Maybe smooth out the difficulty curve for when you get the full party too. I know a lot of people had trouble once they ramped it up. Would like the ability to travel back to previous areas and maybe add in more cieth stone missons.

That said, from just a visuals standpoint, the PC version is phenomenal at 4k/60fps.

Biggest gripe I had with the combat in the first two games was the need for battlefield placement commands. Mid to late game had a lot of enemy AOEs. A simple deck of 'everyone spread out!', 'stick together!', 'you two over there!' would've helped. A sentinel's no good if the party is grouped around them when an enemy Aeroga pops up.

I'm not sure LR's stock battle system would work as a replacement. That's a lot of shit to have to juggle (literally) for more than one character. Each party member would have to become a simplified archetype with a main role/sub role and a smaller command menu (maybe w/ more than 4 options at a time). If you want a carbon copy LR, you'd have turn the others into AI with the option to switch to another character on the fly if needed.

See my post for my best guess at how to quickly make this less frustrating.

Goldenhen

I would like to see combat system updated to XIII-2 where you can choose your leader on the fly and using updated model and graphic from XIII-2 and LR.

Top Bottom