• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

lazygecko

tumblr_o27nbvGK531r7sijxo1_500.gif

BTails

We should find some top-choice Time Gal GIFs to be the new Bear... That game looks awesome since they redrew everything.

Well, it's already on iOS/Android. If Night Trap does well, why not put DS on PS4 too?

OMG!!!!!

I have literally played this game over a million times from the Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and emulation....

I have always dreamed of a clean looking version. I guess my dreams came true?

Here's hoping Digital Picture games keep coming to XB1 and PS4..

Night Trap and Double Switch are irredeemably terrible 100% QTE "games" and I've never understood why they have any appeal at all. The gameplay is abysmal timing-based tedium, the acting is not good, and they force you to NOT watch many bits and instead watch empty rooms for enemies because things are going on all at the same time and you need to catch the baddies, not watch the video clips. It's such bad design all around! That I hate QTEs most of the time hurts a lot of course, but some QTE-based FMV games are actually semi-decent, at least. Night Trap and Double Switch are not that.

Now, I didn't play either one of these games in the '90s so maybe that is part of why I can't stand them, but when I did get Double Switch a while after getting a SCD in the '00s I immediately realized that it's a really, really bad game that probably wasn't worth the low price I paid. They aren't the absolute worst Sega CD games I've played -- Supreme Warrior is the worst, and Midnight Raiders, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Tomcat Alley are also horrendously bad -- but they're right down there near the bottom of the list.

(On the other hand, I actually find Ground Zero Texas kind of fun. Integrating the shooting into the videos was a good move, instead of having the two elements separate to disastrous results. That's probably my favorite Digital Pictures game.)

cj_iwakura

Night Trap and Double Switch are irredeemably terrible 100% QTE "games" and I've never understood why they have any appeal at all. The gameplay is abysmal timing-based tedium, the acting is not good, and they force you to NOT watch many bits and instead watch empty rooms for enemies because things are going on all at the same time and you need to catch the baddies, not watch the video clips. It's such bad design all around! That I hate QTEs most of the time hurts a lot of course, but some QTE-based FMV games are actually semi-decent, at least. Night Trap is not that.

Boy am I gonna have fun trying to weed the haters out of the Night Trap OP.

Take a look at this thread first:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357429

Still with me? Cool. Night Trap has a lot of hidden depth for a 25 year old FMV game. Even by modern standards there's a ton of subtle secrets and nuances to the story. Yes, the acting is awful. They're in on the joke. It's a B-movie. It's a hilarious one.

The mythos behind the Martins and the Augers is still really cool, and I love how much depth it has, like the mystery behind Tony and Madeline. I enjoyed playing it 25 years ago, and I still do today.

No, you can't catch all the baddies and experience the story all at once. It encourages replays and makes you decide what you want to focus on. That's part of the fun, if not all of it.

GZT, however, frustrates me on a replay. The stages are too damn repetitive, and it's painfully easy to miss out on key scenes or codes. The stormtrooper scenes near the end are a nightmare. It's impossible to guard all four areas at once.

Timu

If you want to get the best ending in Night Trap you have to capture all of the Augers, yes, all 95 of them, you can't miss a single one.

That is much easier said than done.

Thinking I need to dig out my Mega CD for a Night Trap nostalgia trip this weekend. Might play some Snatcher too.

Just hoping my new TV is compatible with the cabling I have.

Timu

No, you can't catch all the baddies and experience the story all at once. It encourages replays and makes you decide what you want to focus on. That's part of the fun, if not all of it.
If you want the best ending you need to capture them all. As for encouraging replays, that's cool, but it's a frustrating trial and error game as well so that hurts the experience for many people. For various games I don't mind trial and error, but for this one it's insane as you have to know when to change the channel, when to capture them, know when to change the color of the security locks and be perfect with timing traps. The fact that you can't watch certain scenes due to not wanting to miss various Augers(which results in game over if too many are not caught) is nuts as that's part of the fun of the game.

The game wants you to watch scenes for enjoyment but at the same time wants you to look out for Augers so something has to give. I do love this concept, but man it could had been executed better.

cj_iwakura

If you want the best ending you need to capture them all. As for encouraging replays, that's cool, but it's a frustrating trial and error game as well so that hurts the experience for many people. For various games I don't mind trial and error, but for this one it's insane as you have to know when to change the channel, when to capture them, know when to change the color of the security locks and be perfect with timing traps. The fact that you can't watch certain scenes due to not wanting to miss various Augers(which results in game over if too many are not caught) is nuts as that's part of the fun of the game.

The game wants you to watch scenes for enjoyment but at the same time wants you to look out for Augers so something has to give. I do love this concept, but man it could had been executed better.

The game was conceived in 1987. For its time, it was damn innovative. No one had ever attempted anything like it before.

Having replayed it so many times, I know pretty much exactly where to go when I want to see certain scenes again, and which Augers I can overlook.

I almost always watch Tony scenes, they're the best.

I wanted Night Trap so much as a kid. Nobody was a better spokesperson than Joseph Lieberman. I still haven't played it. I could never convince my mom to get me a Sega CD and now I'm not that interested.

It's definitely a part of gaming history so I'll pick it up one day though.

Timu

The game was conceived in 1987. For its time, it was damn innovative. No one had ever attempted anything like it before.

Having replayed it so many times, I know pretty much exactly where to go when I want to see certain scenes again, and which Augers I can overlook.

I almost always watch Tony scenes, they're the best.
Probably over 50 times at least.=p

Like I said, I love it's concept, it's amazing and should be done more in games. The cheese factor helps it too. I just wish the game was more fun and less frustrating to play. If it's flaws were worked out it would had been better received.

cj_iwakura

Probably over 50 times at least.=p

Like I said, I love it's concept, it's amazing and should be done more in games. The cheese factor helps it too. I just wish the game was more fun and less frustrating to play. If it's flaws were worked out it would had been better received.

The new version should put most of your complaints to rest. It''ll be very easy to tell what's going on where and when. It has live feeds of each room in the small boxes.

cireza

Going to play Popful Mail pretty soon. I managed to get this game a few years ago at a decent price, but never got to play it to the end yet.

I beat Popful Mail. It's a great Falcom title. I wish there were more.
The only problem I had with Popful Mail was the non skipable scenes before some of the boss fights. I must have wasted an hour of my life watching those as I struggled on a couple of them.
Congrats. How many continues do you get on the Sega CD?
Four I believe. It took me a few months of playing to finally beat it. What a hard game. I played through with Cody. The difficulty made me not like the game much when I first started playing, I'm used to Streets of Rage where it doesn't really matter if you are surrounded by enemies. Probably the most important thing on Final Fight is to get all the enemies on one side of the screen.

thomasos

I wasn't sure in which thread to post this, but thought it might interest some of my fellow retro-GAFers. I just finished completing a full U.S. LaserActive collection. (A whopping 18 titles!) I'm missing the spine cards for two of the games, but everything is otherwise complete. Fittingly, the last game I acquired in this misguided quest was Don Quixote.

TZ7rlN2.jpg

The only problem I had with Popful Mail was the non skipable scenes before some of the boss fights. I must have wasted an hour of my life watching those as I struggled on a couple of them.

Four I believe. It took me a few months of playing to finally beat it. What a hard game. I played through with Cody. The difficulty made me not like the game much when I first started playing, I'm used to Streets of Rage where it doesn't really matter if you are surrounded by enemies. Probably the most important thing on Final Fight is to get all the enemies on one side of the screen.

I played the Japanese version which I read is easier. I didn't have too much problem except earlier in the game when I was more resource limited.

Four continues is tough. I have a hard time on the X68000 where I get ten continues.

I wasn't sure in which thread to post this, but thought it might interest some of my fellow retro-GAFers. I just finished completing a full U.S. LaserActive collection. (A whopping 18 titles!) I'm missing the spine cards for two of the games, but everything is otherwise complete. Fittingly, the last game I acquired in this misguided quest was Don Quixote.

TZ7rlN2.jpg

This is pretty cool. You might want to post it in the retro gaf unite thread as well. Did you find all that on eBay or did you look in Japan?

cj_iwakura

TZ7rlN2.jpg
...Is that an alt title for Road Avenger?

cireza

Difficulty wise, Final Fight CD is pretty well done. It requires some training to be able to complete the game, but it is not too hard either.

My favorite 2D BTA. Love the pixel art and music.

thomasos

This is pretty cool. You might want to post it in the retro gaf unite thread as well. Did you find all that on eBay or did you look in Japan?

Some on eBay, some at game stores/conventions. I started about three years ago, and expected it to take much longer since most of these were produced in extremely limited quantities. I lucked out on finding a couple of lots.

cj_iwakura said:

It is. The video quality is much nicer than the Sega CD game, of course, but it doesn't have that version's amazing intro song.

Mzo

Super excited for Night Trap. Kind of mad I never ended up getting the red cardboard box edition when it was cheap, hope it doesn't spike now. If anyone wants to hook me up with one at a fair price I'll be all over that.

I watched CJ crush it at IrishNinja's place, gave me a whole new appreciation for it. Hope it doesn't suck to buy from LRG.

lol @ the haters, as expected from ABF.

Difficulty wise, Final Fight CD is pretty well done. It requires some training to be able to complete the game, but it is not too hard either.

My favorite 2D BTA. Love the pixel art and music.
Maybe I'm bad, but it took me a few months of playing to finally beat it. I think it's a little too hard.

I remember finishing Final Fights 2 and 3 for the SNES without too much difficulty back in the later '00s, but I never have beaten the first one (on SCD or elsewhere)... but I probably have played it less than its sequels, it's not something I remember playing much in arcades and when I got a SNES in the '00s I got the sequels and not the first game. It would make sense that the first game would be harder than the sequels because as an arcade game it needs to be a quarter-muncher while those console exclusives don't as much, but is that true or is it just that I haven't spent as much time with it? I don't know.

Boy am I gonna have fun trying to weed the haters out of the Night Trap OP.

Take a look at this thread first:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357429

Still with me? Cool. Night Trap has a lot of hidden depth for a 25 year old FMV game. Even by modern standards there's a ton of subtle secrets and nuances to the story. Yes, the acting is awful. They're in on the joke. It's a B-movie. It's a hilarious one.

The mythos behind the Martins and the Augers is still really cool, and I love how much depth it has, like the mystery behind Tony and Madeline. I enjoyed playing it 25 years ago, and I still do today.
I saw that thread before, but... uh... so the scenes connect together. So? I thought that was the whole point of the game, that it plays a movie across those rooms while you intermittently either watch clips of it or try to trap the bad guys. SO yeah, how is that at all impressive? And anyway, you're just talking about cutscenes there, and cutscenes are not gameplay... story matters in games, but gameplay matters far more.

I don't like or watch horror movies pretty much ever so that element of these games means nothing to me, but I dislike them because of the gameplay, not that. As games, Double Switch and Night Trap have very serious flaws, and it's not about the acting or story -- it's about the gameplay. The atrocious, pretty much entirely QTE-based combat system where you trap enemies by hitting the right button when the enemy is at the exact right point on the screen. Sure, there is plenty of challenge there as you have to figure out the right screen to be on and the timing to trap enemies correctly, but it's pretty much the opposite of fun, or good game design! In a good trap-based game you would have a lot more freedom to set traps and such (think the Deception series), but since this is an FMV game you don't have any freedom and it's terrible. And that's only one of its problems.

GZT, however, frustrates me on a replay. The stages are too damn repetitive, and it's painfully easy to miss out on key scenes or codes. The stormtrooper scenes near the end are a nightmare. It's impossible to guard all four areas at once.
The whole live-action-FMV-game genre is based on repetition, since you can only have so much video on a disc. All such games are very repetitive, you can't get away from it. But among those games, which is more fun than the others? And I say easy, it's Ground Zero Texas, because it has simpler and more understandable shooting-based gameplay, and doesn't punish you for watching the videos. Sure, it's not great, but the half-decent shooting plus cheesy videos are entertaining enough to make it better than everything else Digital Pictures did.

And seriously, you defend Night Trap, and then complain about another Digital Pictures game being "too easy to miss out on scenes" in? Well yeah, that's why the whole multiple-cameras idea is so bad, and one of those games' other major problems, because of that. I may find it less bad in GZT than Night Trap or Double Switch, but it's a bad idea in all of them because, yes, it's easy to miss scenes. I understand the point, because of how little video you have by breaking it up you add challenge by forcing the player to replay the game over and over to learn which bits they actually should be watching, but just because there is an explanation for WHY it is how it is, that doesn't mean that it's actually fun. It almost never is.

... So yeah, maybe Corpse Killer, the straightforward rail shooter, is actually their best game? I've never actually played it, so I don't know. I'd really like a 32X CD copy of Corpse Killer, because I have the other four US-released 32XCD titles and I'd like to complete the collection (and try that game), but I haven't been quite interested enough to buy it online and have only ever seen the regular Sega CD version in person, so I don't have it.

TZ7rlN2.jpg
Awesome... and probably expensive. But cool! But hey, look on the bright side -- you now have the one and only English-language version of J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues, released on many platforms in Japan but only the LaserActive in the US!

That's the title of the LaserActive version, yes.

Teknoman

Superb! You will have sold your Fiat to buy a Benz! This is the MCD thread so I can say this without fear from 32-bit Lunar 2 fans.

Considering the music quality drop between systems, I really dont think the graphic enhancements were worth it.

jeremy1456

Considering the music quality drop between systems, I really dont think the graphic enhancements were worth it.

I think we can all admit that The Silver Star was absolutely superior on the Sega CD.

Eternal Blue... however, was infinitely inferior on the platform.

Top Bottom