• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Having so much fun. Almost 8 hours of gameplay and I'm only at 10% done. I was beginning to think all of the faction missions were same-y, but I finally got to one where you have to go to a certain island by plane to rescue some lost cargo, and let me just say, hoo boy is that mission different than the rest so far!

This game is so much fun. I really wish the save system worked more precisely. I was stunting off the mile high club, ghost riding the jet of the edge and trying to catch it a la Goldeneye. But when I died it would start me back at the safe house even though I 100% the mile high club and saved the game up there.

JC3 could be an amazing game if the tune little things and made it multiplayer. Can't wait to go back home and do more ridic stunts. So addicting.

I actually decided to exchange my 360 version for the PS3 version and I'm happy I did. Multi platform games are usually a no-brainer for 360 but I honestly feel that PS3 gets the edge, albeit slightly. The game performs really well (many report better than XBox) and, although it took a little time, I find using the Dual Shock to be no problem.

Arpeggio

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that Anisotropic Filtering does not seem to work? It doesn't matter if I set it to 2x or 16x, the distant ground textures still appear blurry. I've tried it on two different computers. However, both computers use the same graphics card: a GeForce 8800 GT.

Wiggum2007

RSTEIN said:
Haven't picked this bad boy up yet. I know the sand box elements are amazing, but what about the actual missions? Is there anything there or does most of the fun come from just running around the island?

There's a mix, some of the missions are just basic open-world stuff like "go here get this vehicle bring it back". But then there are some ridiculously awesome missions that move beyond the basic sandbox stuff, though I wouldn't want to spoil those moments for you!

Headhunter

Neo Member
But getting 100 percent for big facilities is a real pain in the arse. Just doing missions in the Snow Mountains, and I couldn't get the missing piece for Gunung Gila Pangkat, stuck at 96 percent...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Pandoracell said:
The actual missions are pretty good from what i've played. Nothing that'll blow you away (yet), but they're acceptable.
Wiggum2007 said:
There's a mix, some of the missions are just basic open-world stuff like "go here get this vehicle bring it back". But then there are some ridiculously awesome missions that move beyond the basic sandbox stuff, though I wouldn't want to spoil those moments for you!

OK, gonna pick it up!

BoloPatch has shown me that this game is at its best when it's not restrained by such things as challenge, limited ammo, ability to die, limited resources.... :lol

The exploration and goofing around is the point. So much fun tooling around without any worries.

stump sock said:
BoloPatch has shown me that this game is at its best when it's not restrained by such things as challenge, limited ammo, ability to die, limited resources.... :lol

The exploration and goofing around is the point. So much fun tooling around without any worries.

Yeah, the ammo especially is far too restricted by default. Going around with a rocket launcher with unlimited ammo and zero reload time is a lot of fun! :lol

Klocker

Headhunter said:
But getting 100 percent for big facilities is a real pain in the arse. Just doing missions in the Snow Mountains, and I couldn't get the missing piece for Gunung Gila Pangkat, stuck at 96 percent...

I love that hunting part and have yet to get stumped. there is the radar for items and then it's a matter of just looking around and trying things. i found one little "puzzle" so far where you needed to interact with stuff to unlock 100% so there are some things liket that... I love it!

Pimpbaa

KTOOOOM said:
really REALLY
what is wrong with the PS3 controller ?

Nothing. It is perfect. The 360 controller analog sticks are too tight, painful to use triggers (for long periods), and terribly shaped buttons.

Sanic

Pimpbaa said:
Nothing. It is perfect. The 360 controller analog sticks are too tight, painful to use triggers (for long periods), and terribly shaped buttons.

241712o.gif

Salaadin

The Panau International Airport was a bitch for me to clear because its so damn big. Im actually not sure if I got the whole thing yet.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Salaadin said:
The Panau International Airport was a bitch for me to clear because its so damn big. Im actually not sure if I got the whole thing yet.

I'm in Panau City Financial district right now, it is painful to get another item/blow up a thing and see the completion percentage increase by ONE.

Sanic

Archaix said:
I'm in Panau City Financial district right now, it is painful to get another item/blow up a thing and see the completion percentage increase by ONE.

I'm not going anywhere near that until much later, it would just drive me insane. Good luck!

Salaadin

Archaix said:

Shit. Im staying far away from there for now.

I ordered a plane from the black market guy yesterday and saw an upgrade option when I highlighted it. What does that do for vehicles? Faster speeds? More armor? I assume weapons do more damage but was wondering what you get for upgrading vehicles.

I think it would be wise for Avalanche Studios to release DLC much like Crackdown's 'Keys to the City'.

I would like to run around with unlimited ammo, multiple grapples, and infinite health on the 360 version. :(

Sanic

Salaadin said:
Shit. Im staying far away from there for now.

I ordered a plane from the black market guy yesterday and saw an upgrade option when I highlighted it. What does that do for vehicles? Faster speeds? More armor? I assume weapons do more damage but was wondering what you get for upgrading vehicles.

All of the stats you see just below the image of the vehicle are upgraded.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Pandoracell said:
I'm not going anywhere near that until much later, it would just drive me insane. Good luck!

I'd actually suggest it, it seems a really easy way to get upgrade points/health/cash. Plus, it's a huge city environment packed with tall buildings. Tons of fun to be found, not a strong military presence so you aren't in much danger, and it's easy to escape or hide.

Salaadin

Pandoracell said:

Thanks. Ill check that out later.

I saw Lost Island yesterday. I dont even watch the show but I love easter eggs so I wanted to see it. Its pretty cool to get shot down like that and stranded on an island. It took me a while to find my way back to civilization.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
RSTEIN said:
Haven't picked this bad boy up yet. I know the sand box elements are amazing, but what about the actual missions? Is there anything there or does most of the fun come from just running around the island?
Since you have so much freedom the missions are really what you make of them. Being able to attack them in different ways makes it a lot of fun in my opinion.

MThanded said:
Since you have so much freedom the missions are really what you make of them. Being able to attack them in different ways makes it a lot of fun in my opinion.

Like crashing a helicopter straight into a Colonel.

Sanic

Archaix said:
I'd actually suggest it, it seems a really easy way to get upgrade points/health/cash. Plus, it's a huge city environment packed with tall buildings. Tons of fun to be found, not a strong military presence so you aren't in much danger, and it's easy to escape or hide.

That makes sense, I just remember picking up my first package there, gaining only one percentage of completion, and thinking how insane it would probably be to collect/destroy everything.

gutterboy44 said:
This game is so much fun. I really wish the save system worked more precisely. I was stunting off the mile high club, ghost riding the jet of the edge and trying to catch it a la Goldeneye. But when I died it would start me back at the safe house even though I 100% the mile high club and saved the game up there.

JC3 could be an amazing game if the tune little things and made it multiplayer. Can't wait to go back home and do more ridic stunts. So addicting.

If you die during a mission, it will bring you back to the last checkpoint.
If you die during any other period, you will be brought back to a safehouse.

If you manually saved the game, you will have to manually load that save if you want to be brought back to the same place.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Pandoracell said:
That makes sense, I just remember picking up my first package there, gaining only one percentage of completion, and thinking how insane it would probably be to collect/destroy everything.

Yeah, if you are attempting to go at it all in one go it would drive you insane. I've been here for...um..an hour? And I was steadily finding things without having to look around whatsoever, I got to 53%. That was when it started becoming harder to locate stuff to do so I just moved on to another section. If I get to the point where I want to 100% this game, I can see myself pulling my hair out looking for every propaganda trailer.

Artadius

Pandoracell said:

Some vehicles get meaningful upgrades too. At least in the demo, the Wildchild comes normally with a standard machine gun. If you upgraded it all the way, it would also come equipped with a rocket launcher.

Speaking of upgrades I just finally unlocked the Machine Gun (not the SMG or Assault Rifle, the actual 2h Machine Gun) in the black market and I had just enough weapon parts saved up to upgrade it fully to six stars. Holy shit that gun is a beast and it blows up vehicles in like three or four shots.

Mrbob

I have around 5 \0\0\0hours in this game, I can't believe how massive it is. So much fun!

I downloaded the BOLOPATCH but it says my JustCause2.exe is not found...I dropped the file into my Just Cause 2 directory so I need some help here. I downloaded the full game patch too. Thanks in advance!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Harteex said:
That's awesome, I have to do that with the next one.

I always bail on my mini-jet to use it as a missle since it has no weapons. Half the fun is finding the place to do the most strategic damage with it.

RedStep

Headhunter said:

I think that's the one I got stuck on as well. Where the Base Commander comes over the hill in the APC, there's a generator (on top of the "hill") hidden behind some walls. Also, don't forget the the village at the entrance as well as the area down the hill toward the water a bit both count.

(This is all assuming that we're talking about the same base)

UFRA

Ok, 12 hours later and my videos should be working by now...

Truck break dancing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0izjURkriM

Downhill skiing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9o2M9lUY_U

The ski hill is so fun to drive cars down you guys have to try it, but use an ordinary car, not a 4WD truck or anything. The more you slide around the more challenging and fun it is like with the car I chose.

It's kinda hard to see in the video, but there's orange poles up on the ski hill and I was actually trying to do slalom skiing. :D

this game gets really annoying as it gets harder. enemies just destroy you will bullets nonstop, become more resistant to your bullets, and I can't fucking find this last item in this base STOP SHOOTING ME YOU ASSHOLES

FINALLY!

now to do this again in the base right next to it!

UFRA said:
The ski hill is so fun to drive cars down you guys have to try it, but use an ordinary car, not a 4WD truck or anything. The more you slide around the more challenging and fun it is like with the car I chose.

I just found that shit last night. Tried taking a boat down... nope. Then I tried cars. It's a fully fledged ski hill too, at least five or six runs.

sammy

I'm about 10+ hours into this thing and it's still as charming as ever :D
Still can't get over how awesome it is to simply fly around with the 'chute, this game is really just the next Pilotwings in my book hehe

earning Chaos becomes second nature once you take advantage of the vehicular perks (infinite ammo) ---- so I find that once i get a chopper or something a bit devastating, I'll commit to an hour-long rampage :lol pure bliss, and I earn enough to keep upgrading my goods.

The checkpoint system doesn't bother me, the game becomes more of a rogue-like trying to stay alive to explore. You certainly get a good grip on the mechanics to stay alive as long as possible. But starting back near the main missions ain't so bad, though I wish there was a goodguy headquarters to store all the fun vehicles and stuff.

Some missions are frustrating, I'll have a base blown apart 98% but won't be able to find the last bit to finish it off : /

RSTEIN said:
Is there any explanation why the 360 doesn't have Youtube support? Really sucks!

The PS3 does have internet browsing built right in, hence the simple ability to link up the game to Youtube. The 360 doesn't. That's really the only explanation I can think of.

Sanic

Pimpbaa said:
Probably due to the less powerful CPU.

Or because Sony supplies a Youtube API with the PS3 SDK nowadays and developers can just 'plug in' support for YT.

They would have to code all of that themselves to get it up and running on the 360, and I don't think Microsoft likes games leaving their walled garden anyway.

Top Bottom